About Jalan Alor
Jalan Alor is the food mecca of Kuala Lumpur that is lined with seafood restaurants and hawker stalls. It is the favorite spot of food lovers, cultural enthusiasts and shutterbugs. This is also touted as one of the busiest food streets in the entire world where you can sample out a vast range of delicacies at the best price.
The history of the street is interesting in its own ways. What was once declared as a red-light area has now transformed into the most sought-after culinary destination for those who want to experience indigenous food at a cheap cost. The traditional verve that this place offers stands in direct contrast to the well-maintained and modernised tourist spots of Kuala Lumpur.
The street hawkers spread on both sides of the 500m expanse of this street, bringing a unique charm to the evenings. It also houses massage parlors and bars that further lure the visitors to come to this place.
All those who visit this place are in for a surreal euphoric experience, with the raucous vendors and the chatty and cheerful crowd. The shouts of the street vendors, flavours bustling from each corner and the action of the grills offer this place a unique vibe which you won't get in any other part of Malaysia.
How to Reach Jalan Alor
The street, in general, is highly accessible. One can take any of the following routes to visit Jalan Alor from the City Centr:
1. By Car: The distance from the City Centre to Jalan Alor is a mere 3KM, which comes up to about 15 minutes of driving at the maximum. One can safely and quickly reach the street by going north from the city Centre via Jalan Ampang for 350m and then continuing on Jalan Ampang to Kuala Lumpur for another 2KM to reach Jalan Alor.
2. By Train: Raja Chulan Station, Bukit Bintang Station and Imbi Station are the closest to Jalan Alor. You can find the Bukit Bintang station located only at a five minutes walking distance from Jalan Alor.
3. By Bus: You can opt for purple line and green line of Kuala Lumpur City Buses to reach Jalan Alor directly by bus.
What Not to Miss at Jalan Alor
Here is a list of some of the notable tourist spots near Jalan Alor that you must visit:
1. Jalan Alor Street Art 1: Explore the colorful street life of Kuala Lumpur by visiting Jalan Alor Street Art 1 that is filled with colourful buildings that showcase the artwork of notable artists. Here one would find a lane called ‘waterfall’ that would momentarily make you believe you’re walking on the uneven bed of a shallow stream. It is one of the best places to spend a relaxing and amusing afternoon with friends.
- Distance from Jalan Alor: 160m
2. Menara Kuala Lumpur: It is the most popular landmark of Kuala Lumpur. It the tallest telecommunications tower in the entire world and offers a spectacular view of the city. The spindle-like apex of the gleaming tower is visible from anywhere in Kuala Lumpur.
- Distance from Jalan Alor: 2.4KM
3. Merdeka Square, Kuala Lumpur: It is the iconic square where the union flag was lowered, and the Malaysian flag was first hoisted at midnight in 1957. There are a number of important historical structures located over here like the Royal Selangor Club, that was earlier meant to be a meeting place for colonial bureaucrats. It also houses the former National History Museum which for long housed a number of important historical artefacts. Tourists often visit the square to experience the tangible sentiment of historical importance and cultural strength of this country, that looms over it at all times.
- Distance from Jalan Alor: 1.9KM
Other Essential Information About Jalan Alor
Location: Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Timings: Most shops are open in the evening, all the way till midnight, and various other joints are open 24 hours.
Distance from the City Centre: 3KM.
Places to Eat in Jalan Alor
The 500m street is lined with some of the fashion-sensitive establishments as well as simple eating joints that you must visit:
1. Wong Ah Wah (WAW): It is the favorite joint of the locals, and you would find this place bustling with the crowd at all times to sample their best dishes. Some of the most popular dishes served over here are grilled chicken wings, satay and various noodles based dishes. They also have a number of risqué dishes for those who are looking for out of the box binging opportunities. The prime recommendations in this segment are the fresh frog and the crabs.
2. Meng Kee Grill Fish: This is another favourite joint of the visitors as well as the locals alike. There is a sizeable proportion of the menu devoted to unconventional dishes, from the crab to the famed grilled stingray. In addition, they also serve amazing conventional fast food, from spring rolls to chilli prawns.
3. Sister Drunken Chicken Noodles: This is another interesting joint, which is renowned for serving a wide range of noodle based dishes that are made using wine. This joint is also known for serving the best ‘wine chicken’ delicacy. The prices of the dishes are quite affordable, yet they offer great taste.
Places to Stay Near Jalan Alor
There are a number of luxurious hotels near Jalan Alor where you can have a lavish stay.
1. Mandarin Oriental Kuala Lumpur: It is a luxury hotel that offers Deluxe Room as well as suites for a comfortable stay. This hotel offers all the basic amenities like free Wi-Fi, king size bed, geyser and television, which will make your stay even more convenient. - Distance from Jalan Alor: 1.2KM
2. Shangri-La Hotel - Kuala Lumpur: It is a great option for a luxurious and grand stay as it is known for its prolific services and top-notch amenities like a restaurant, bar, swimming pool and fitness centre. The sleek infrastructure, the poolside bars and the convenient amenities like 24-hour help desks, complimentary newspapers and telephones make your stay in this hotely truly memorable.
- Distance from Jalan Alor: 1.1KM
3. Hilton Garden Inn Kuala Lumpur: This is the best family-friendly hotel that is known for its luxurious offerings and spacious rooms. It has a café, a bar, a swimming pool and a deli for a grand stay experience. It also offers the best hospitality, which will make your stay wonderful.
- Distance from Jalan Alor: 600m
Travellers' Tip before visiting Jalan Alor
1. Any prospective traveller should keep in mind the following tips before visiting Jalan Alor:
2. The street is at its busiest during the evenings. Therefore it is advisable to visit this spot during that time only, to experience the place in all its grandeur.
3. It is advisable to not begin with any risqué food on the street.
5. Always check the hygiene of the stalls before ordering food from them.
6. A lot of restaurants don’t have signs or even menus in the English language. However, one can very easily get through that difficulty by simply going to places where there are more crowds, and simply asking for recommendations from the servers or other customers.