Water Sports Activities in Pondicherry
When in the southern coast of India, delve into the nerve-wracking and exciting thrill of water sports in Pondicherry. This offbeat tourist destination features delightful water sport complexes that offer an engaging array of everything from pedal boating to scuba diving, kayaking, parasailing and speed boating. To make the most of thrilling scopes at adventure, you can head to the Karaikal Beach where you can backwater sail, canoe, and play water volleyball.
People Also Ask About Water Sports in Pondicherry
What are the best Pondicherry tour packages?Here are some of the best Pondicherry tour packages:
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Bangalore
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Delhi
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Mumbai
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Chennai
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Kolkata
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Hyderabad
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Pune
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Ahmedabad
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Kerala
- Pondicherry Tour Packages from Coimbatore
Which are the best water sports to do in Pondicherry?1. Surfing: One of the most popular water sports in Pondicherry has to be surfing. Anyone that loves the thrill of riding the mighty waves with their surfboards can come to the Serenity Beach. You will absolutely love an over-the-brim feeling as you play with the sea’s swirling surfs while breathing in fresh winds. Surfing is so much fun as you get to touch the sea’s turquoise waters and experience freedom of a different kind.
This adventure sport is conducted on the wave’s forward face. If you are a beginner or a first-timer who has never tried surfing then do not fret because the beaches are replete with training instructors to teach you surfing smoothly.Location: Paradise Beach, Serenity BeachBest Time: March-May, October-NovemberPrice: Starting from INR 2500
2. Scuba diving: The only diving spot on India’s eastern coast has to be Pondicherry where you can have a mind-boggling scuba diving experience. This sport is one of the most adventurous water sports in Pondicherry and you can undertake it with support from a PADI instructor. This activity will take place with the help of diving equipment and safety gears hence you do not have to worry about the safety aspect.
The splendid sesh of scuba diving lets you explore the beauty of the marine world and the aquatic world living in it. You will be mesmerized at the sight of the fascinating aquatic creatures, underwater caves, beautiful reefs, and the marine flora. You can take your scuba diving experience several notches higher by opting for underwater pictures and videos.
Location: Four Corners, Aravind’s Wall, Temple Reef, and the Hole.Best Time: February-AprilPrice: Starting from INR 6500
3. Kayaking: Battle against the undulating waves on a beautiful kayak and give into the pleasure of one of the most fascinating water sports activities in Pondicherry, kayaking. You do not require much skill or gear to kayak, just the boat, a paddle and a life jacket is enough for the rider. While you are aboard a kayak, you paddle explore the unhindered beauty of calm, natural and serene surroundings. Paddling through the ravishing landscape is a surreal feeling because the vast stretch of the sparkling waves will leave a lasting impression on your mind, for life.Location: Karaikal BeachBest Time: February-AprilPrice: Starting from INR 3000
4. Paddle Boarding: One of the most exciting water sports activities in Pondicherry has to be Paddle boarding as boating is a huge part of beach adventure. This sort of involves standing on a paddle that is inflated and wafting through Pondicherry’s still water lakes. As you maneuver the thrilling factor continues to build up. This very new form of adventure sport lets you row the boat while you gaze at the splendid scenery nearby the lake. You will have a fun time indulging in paddle boarding as you can easily get hold of the items required for the activity, from nearby shops.Location: Paradise BeachBest Time: February-AprilPrice: INR 750 onwards5. Kite surfing: The new range of water adventure activities involve the sport of kite surfing. This sport lets you careen over the waters and chase the winds, while the cool water sprays kiss your skin. Not only is the experience a heavenly one but the sight of the entire blue ocean is too fetching to miss. Your heart will pump with every turn and twist. Imagine the kite’s thrill along with the joy of surfing that is what kite surfing is all about. Pondy beaches provide you the perfect respite as you hold the kite’s cord with the same kite propelling you forward.Location: Paradise BeachBest Time: JulyPrice: INR 1000 onwards6. Windsurfing: If you are a hardcore adrenaline junkie then windsurfing is something you should totally try out. In this sport, you drift through the wind while clutching on the boards’ sail. This sport is the coolest adventure activity that can be done on any water surface, normal or rough. You need a bit of dexterity and some great skills like perception of water and fast motor skills to ace the sport. Pondy’s water presents you with the perfect backdrop, with guidance of all kinds of facilities readily available. There are multiple training centers around Pondicherry that will teach you the nuances of windsurfing.
Location: Paradise BeachBest Time: October onwards and April onwardsPrice: INR 1500 onwards
7. Canoeing: One of the most sorted water adventures has to be canoeing. Your canoeing experience is going to be a wonderful one with challenging and calm waters of Pondy. This sport lets you test ultimate adventure as you traverse through Pondicherry’s rivers and lakes. Canoeing involves gliding through both turbulent and calm water bodies. Drift calmly, or chase the rapids with the canoe. When you undertake this sport, do not forget to carry your camera to capture this dreamy experience.Location: Karaikal BeachBest Time: October-MarchPrice: Depends on what the adventure sport agency charges
8.Snorkeling: To have a glimpse of the marine world, snorkeling is the best activity you can indulge in. Anyone can access this activity using hi-grade snorkels. You get to breathe in the beauty of the largely unexplored ocean, and the colorful creatures living in the ocean. When in Pondicherry, you must snorkel in clear water and enjoy the experience of being surrounded by fishes.Location: South Boulevard, Colas NagarBest Time: February-AprilPrice: INR 5200 onwards
Which are the best beaches for water sports in Pondicherry?1. Auroville Beach: Also called the Auro Beach, the gorgeous Auroville Beach is every traveler’s dream. You must come here to soak in the beauty of the deep-blue waters, golden soft sand and beautiful seashells. While novices can spend their time enjoying the sea breeze, professional surfers can glide across the cool waters. There are several shacks here where you can relax while sipping on chilled beverages or simply gorging on local delicacies.
Best water sports to do- Surfing, swimming
2. Paradise Beach: If you have always fancied a white sand beach then the Paradise beach is going to be your ideal location. This tranquil and stunning beach exudes happiness and a paradisiacal charm that is hard to find. You will blissfully succumb to its appeal and this is one of beaches that is a hub for water sports in Pondicherry.Every tourist must come here to canoe and kayak to their heart’s content. If you are not a fan of water sports then you can play a game of beach volleyball too.
Best water sports to do- Kayaking, canoeing, backwater sailing, boating, cruising and jet skiing
3. Karaikal Beach: The sandy beach of Karaikal is perfect for sunrise-watchers as well as those looking for fun through water sports in Pondicherry. This beach is a top favorite amongst locals and tourists that wish to take a break and desire having a fun beachside holiday. You will fall in love with the sound of the waves’ sound crashing on the shore, soothing tranquility, clear skies and crystal-blue waters.The beach not just offers you the much-needed solace from the humdrums of the city but also lets you have a nature connection. You can come here to motorboat, canoe, kayak or simply enjoy a refreshing swim to renew your frayed nerves.
Best water sports to do- Banana boat rides, parasailing, canoeing, and kayaking
4. Serenity Beach: One of the most attractive sea beaches with ample water sports in Pondicherry has to be the Serenity Beach. This beach features a rocky seashore that is ideal for a calm and relaxed romantic stroll. You can make the most of an enthralling and fun-filled surfing ride that lets you enjoy the sparkling water.The name “Serenity” perfectly fits this beach given how picturesque and beautiful it is. You can laze away on the serene surroundings of the virgin beach while setting forth on a cruise to enjoy splendid views of the Indian Ocean.
Best water sports to do- Surfing
5. The Plage Paradiso Beach: Located at Chunnambar, the Plage Paradiso beach is a tropical paradise that is one of the perfect places to enjoy some quiet besides a refreshing swim. If you want to experience a paradise in its true glory then this is the beach to be at. The cool sea beach draws visitors every year for the pleasant sea cruises it has to offer. During the cruise you can watch the dolphins dance as they pop around in the sea’s blue waters.The sight features coconut grooves but is mainly popular for the recreational adventures it has to offer. You can stay in tree houses here at the backwater banks, and enjoy playing beach volleyball, indulge in backwater cruises, enjoy theme picnics and parties.
Best water sports to do- Kayaking, canoeing, backwater sailing, boating, and jet skiing
What is the best time for watersports in Pondicherry?The best time for water sports in Pondicherry is the winter season that extends from October-February. You can experience the beauty of the beaches during this time besides indulging in adventurous water sports like banana boat rides, parasailing, and jet skiing.
What is the price for watersports in Pondicherry?The water sports in Pondicherry are priced between INR 400- INR 7900. For instance you can kayak at a price of 4,000 while scuba dive at a price of INR 5000 – INR 7900. You can surf at INR 1500 and banana boat ride at INR 400.
Which are the best beaches in Pondicherry for surfing?1. Serenity- One of the most popular water sports activities in Pondicherry is surfing and Serenity Beach is the place where you can try it to your heart’s content. Play with your surfs on the mighty waves here and feel the sea’s turquoise waters while enjoying spendthrift freedom.2. Auroville- One of the most unusual Indian beaches has to be the Auroville Beach which is a hotspot for water sports activities in Pondicherry. You can carry your surfboards here and enjoy riding the undulating crystal clear waves.
3. Paradise- For any adventure lover who also loves the sea, the Paradise Beach is the place to be at. This beach is the ultimate destination for water sports activities in Pondicherry. It features soft waves that crash against the sandy shoreline and any beginner level surfer can ride them.
What is the best time for scuba diving in Pondicherry?You can scuba dive anytime during the year in Pondicherry, except the monsoons. However, the months of September-November and February-April are ideal as they provide easy visibility of around 20-30 meters. You must avoid the monsoons in Pondicherry for scuba diving. There are huge waves during this time.
What is the price for Kayaking in Pondicherry?The price for kayaking in Pondicherry starts from INR 3000 (inclusive of equipment) and can go up to INR 5000 at some beaches. It includes all equipment and an experienced team of instructors. Book from Thrillophilia to get the best deals on this watersport and many others.
Aurobindo Ashram or the Sri Aurobindo Ashram is a spiritual group (ashram) situated in the union territory of Pondicherry. The ashram was a small community that expanded over some time as more and more disciples of Aurobindo Ghose gathered around to seek spirituality. Aurobindo Ghose founded this ashram after he left his political career and aspired to inherit spiritualism in his life. A few followers of Aurobindo joined him in the ashram with the same aim of seeking spirituality. Located in eastern Pondicherry, Sri Aurobindo Ashram has become a hub of tourists who are inclined towards divinity and simplicity in their lifestyle. The ashram is popular not only in India but also in other countries because of the work put forth by the community towards the healing of humanity. The ashram in its initial days only had a few buildings but later, as more and more people joined, the ashram grew bigger and presently, it consists of many small buildings that are adjacent to each other. The ashram provides all the basic needs of its members for living a healthy and simple life. There is a library in the ashram where members can read and learn about the history and teachings of the place. Also, there are various cultural facilities like dance, theatre, music, arts, and sports for the all-round development of the members. The ashram is managed by a board of five trustees who make sure that the legacy and vision of Aurobindo Ghose remains in the ashram.History of Aurobindo Ashram:After quitting politics, Aurobindo Ghose spent most of his time writing and meditating in the ashram. From 1910 to 1920, the ashram had a few members alongside Aurobindo who all lived a simple life involving reading, writing and doing their daily chores. In 1920, Mirra Alfassa or “The Mother” who was regarded as the “spiritual collaborator” of Aurobindo returned to Pondicherry and lived in the ashram. Soon, more and more people came in the ashram and it gradually became a community under the umbrella of Aurobindo and the Mother. In 1926, the formal foundation of the ashram was done and this resulted in more and more people coming to the ashram. From just 24 people in 1927 to 150 in 1934, the ashram started to grow like a community. Over the years, as the ashram grew in numbers more and more departments were formed and the sadhaks looked after the departments as a part of their sadhana. Today, the ashram is spread throughout the town in around 400 buildings and houses more than 2000 sadhaks. Highlights of Aurobindo Ashram:-Aurobindo Ghose founded the ashram in 1926 after quitting his career in politics -Mother (Mirra Alfassa) companion of Aurobindo carried on the legacy of the ashram after Aurobindo’s death in 1950.-One of the biggest Ashrams in India, Aurobindo Ashram housing more than 2000 people living and serving each other. -Auroville, the city of dawn was the brainchild of Mother. Auroville is associated with the ashram in its ideological structure and well-being.-Aurobindo Ashram publishes many periodicals about the essence of spirituality and peace in life-It takes around 2-3 hours to see the entire ashram
Rock Beach, often referred to as the Promenade Beach or Pondicherry Beach is a beachfront located along the Bay of Bengal. The coastline of this beach is 1.5 km long and starts at the War Memorial built at the beginning of the beach, while ends at the Dupleix Park built at the Goubert Avenue. Unfortunately, this beach is not open for taking dips in the sea or any water sport activities, but many visit the place during sunrise and sunset for walking, jogging or taking a stroll. The beach is clustered with tetrapods along the coastline, while a concrete pathway has been constructed which is flanked with cafes, restaurants and pubs. These restaurants serve various cuisines including French, Indian, Arabic and Chinese. Some of the places have live band performances that attract many tourists. The restaurants and pubs do not allow any customers after midnight and shut down before 1:00 AM.Apart from restaurants, there are shopping boutiques that sell textile materials, home décor and souvenirs for you to take home. The various hotels built around the beach provide several stay-at options for foreigners and local travellers. There are no vehicles allowed on the concrete and paved path, but there is a parking space provided at the entrance where you can give a fee of NR 5 and let the watchman take care of your vehicle.One may encounter various hawkers and vendors selling balloons, neon bands and tiaras whose presence may be vexing. The beach is not as crowded on weekdays as it is on weekends.
The Raj Niwas building is constructed on the foundation of a hotel named Hotel De La Compagnie. This is the government house of the Pondicherry and is a blend of both Indian and French architecture. The previous name of this Raj Niwas is Palais du Government. The Raj Niwas isn’t open to public but it is one of the attractions in Pondicherry. Most of the people who went on a trip to Pondicherry will surely pay a visit to this Raj Niwas to enjoy the Indo-French architecture. The monolithic pillars, fountain are the biggest asset of this Raj Niwas. They enhance the look of the construction as well as add royalty too. The public can go into the Raj Niwas on some special days and occasions only.Location:White TownPondicherry 605001Best Time To Visit:The Best Time To Visit: Raj Niwas will be between 12 pm and 1:30 pm as you will be allowed into the house. The point to remember here is the passes are limited to 40 per day.TimingsThe Raj Niwas will be open between 12pm and 1:30 pmDistance Between Pondicherry Bus stand and Raj NivasThe distance from Pondicherry bus station to Raj Nivas is 2.6 kms which can be travelled in 4-5 mins.Image Credits: thehindu.com