About Serenity Beach
Serenity beach is one of the pristine beaches located in the coastal town of Pondicherry. Just a twenty minutes drive from the northern part of Pondicherry, and you will be enchanted by the golden sands of the Serenity Beach. The beach is flanked by palm trees on the shore and gives a good view of the Bay of Bengal stretching into the vast expanse.
One of the distinctive features of the Serenity Beach is the existence of sandy beaches and also a rocky beach portion along its stretch. Like most other beaches of Pondicherry, the Serenity beach is not over-crowded and tourists can enjoy a quiet private time with their spouse, family or friends. The beach is also a photographer’s delight with the tall palm trees on the side and waves of the sea across the backdrop of the horizon gives an enchanting view. Sunrise photography is a major activity of the photographers in this beach.
The Serenity beach has fishing boats anchored along the shore and one can walk on the deck into the waters of the sea. When we talk of sea, sun and sand, Pondicherry instantly comes to our mind. And Serenity Beach is surely a major attraction worth visiting in the town! You can just laze around the beach enjoying the sun and sipping on a cool drink, or can indulge in various activities the beach has to offer. You can also visit other attractions located near and around the Serenity beach and explore the beauty of Pondicherry town.
How to Reach Serenity Beach
The nearest airport, Pondicherry airport is located at a distance of 10 kms from the beach. You can hire a cab from the airport to Serenity Beach. The drive from the airport to the beach will take around fifteen minutes.
The Serenity beach is located towards the northern side of Pondicherry and is easily accessible from the Pondicherry bus stand. The bus stand located at the centre of the city is located just 10 kms away from the beach and one can get autos and buses from there. You can also rent a vehicle from Pondicherry bus stand and visit the beach. If you are planning to explore the town along with Serenity beach, it is better to hire a cab for the entire day.
The nearest railway station is at 50 kms away at Villupuram. You can hire a cab from the railway station to Serenity beach. The drive will take around an hour.
Best Time to Visit Serenity Beach
The best time to visit Serenity beach in Pondicherry is from early morning to evening 6.30 pm. For enjoying the sunrise, you can visit the beach on early dawn. The surfing activities start from daytime and you can enjoy the sand and sun throughout the day until evening.
As there are food stalls near the beach, you can spend the day on the beach if you are a beach lover and enjoy the fish delicacies prepared there. The beach is open on all days and there is no entry fee charged for it.
Summer: Summers in Serenity Beach get very hot with temperatures surging up to 42 degree Celsius and high humidity in the air. The summer season in Serenity starts from the month of March and lasts till June month.
Monsoon: Monsoons in Serenity witnesses high humidity because of the high proximity to the Bay of Bengal. The average temperatures during monsoon vary from 25-35 degree celsius. The rainfall during monsoon is unpredictable in Serenity and can occur anytime.
Winter: Winters are a favourable season for visiting Serenity beach during the months from November to March. The temperatures during this time remain favourable varying from 22-32 degree Celsius. Serenity beach in Pondicherry is best enjoyed in winter season.
What Not to Miss at Serenity Beach
Things to do near Serenity beach
1. Surfing: Tourists can go for surfing in the waters of the Bay of Bengal. There is a surf school where surfing essentials are rented to tourists and also provide guides for a good surfing experience. the sight of youngsters and surfing enthusiasts riding the waves is a common sight in Serenity.
2. Eating: The Serenity beach has a number of stalls providing fresh fish delicacies and other Pondicherry local food. You can munch on one of the delicacies available at a good price.
3. Shopping: You can shop Pondicherry mementos and local handicrafts at avenues and markets located along the Serenity beach. There are many options for shopping and one can bargain well for goods available there. The markets display a variety of apparel, jewellery, shoes, spices and an assortment of handcrafts.
4. Photography: The pristine Serenity beach gives beautiful scenery to photographers. With the sun, sand and the palm trees as a backdrop, Serenity beach is a perfect spot for an eye-catching photograph. It is surely nature at its best!
Attractions near Serenity Beach
1. Serenity Beach Bazaar: This market is a handicrafts bazaar located on Serenity beach. It is open on weekends Saturday and Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm. The market features exquisite crafts, garments, accessories and bags in addition to local handicrafts for tourists. You can also get refreshments on the market.
2. Ma Pondy Cherie: This is a heritage shop and includes a bookstore and apparels for men and women. the shop 3.7 kms from Serenity beach stays open from 9 am to 7.30 pm.
3. Arulmigu Manakula Vinayagar Temple: Located 3.9 kms away from Serenity beach, this Ganesh temple is one of the most popular religious destinations of Pondicherry. The temple is famous for the mix of traditional and modern architecture.
4. Sadhana Forest: A reforestation project in Pondicherry, the Sadhana Forest is located 7.5 kms from Serenity beach. The forest promotes sustainable and favourable living community in Auroville. Every Friday, there are tours, screenings and documentaries screened for tourists where they are served with organic vegetarian dinner.
5. Auroville: This is a cultural city situation 3 kms away from Serenity beach. It was constructed following the ideas and vision of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother. It is an experimental township in Villupuram extending to Pondicherry town.
6. Paradise Beach: Located at a distance of 4 kms from Serenity, the Paradise beach or Plage Paradiso is famous for the golden grainy and soft sands stretching across. Being an isolated beach, one has to take a ferry ride of 20-30 mins through the backwaters. There are also beautiful boathouses and thick mangroves in the backwaters which offer a pleasant view.
7. Kallialay Surf School: Founded by two surfing enthusiasts, this is one of the earliest surf schools in Indian eastern coast. The school offers a variety of courses from beginner to advanced courses. The school is equipped with all kinds of surfing equipment in international standards.
It also organizes the Summer Swell Challenge, a surfing competition which witnesses surfers from across the world.
8. Immaculate Conception Cathedral: This is 300 year old historic church located 5 kms from Serenity was consecrated in the year 1791. A majestic structure the church is, it was built before the establishment of French colony in Pondicherry.
The construction cathedral was done in the year 1791 and later renovations done in 1987. The feast of the Cathedral is celebrated on December 8th every year and witnesses an attendance of many followers and tourists from across the world. The Cathedral is counted as one of the oldest churches of Pondicherry and is locally known as ‘Samba Kovil’.
9. The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus: This basilica is located 6 kms from Serenity beach. A beautiful church, the structure has exquisite windows adorned by stained glass paintings of sacred 28 saints who were utterly devoted and blessed to the loved sacred heart of Lord Jesus.
10. Assumption Church Nellithope Church: Located 7 kms from Serenity, this 160 year old church was built during the French colony in Pondicherry. This church is open for tourists and people from all religions and backgrounds to create an equal peace among all.
11. Eglise De Notre Dame Des Anges: This is a famous religious place located 5.6 km away from Serenity beach near the Bay of Bengal. The church and the Bengal sea is separated by a small garden where a statue of armoured Joan of Arc is situated. One of the distinctive characteristics of the church is that it has always housed a French priest ever since its establishment.
However, since the year 2008, a Tamilian priest who is equally proficient in French is honouring the church. The church structure comprises of two bell towers with multiple levels and bays. There are also beautiful decorations and statues along the church. The church was sacredly blessed by the Archbishop of Pondicherry on March 2012. It is the only church in the town of Pondicherry where Sunday mass is held in three different languages- French, English and Tamil.
12. Hallelujah Assembly of God Church: At a distance of 7.2 kms, this is the mother church of 30 assemblies of God churches in town of Pondicherry. This church supports and encourages missionaries across India. The vision of the church is to set up prayer halls across different places to preach the holy Gospel.
Other Essential Information About Serenity Beach
- Location: The Serenity beach is located 5.3 kms from Pondicherry city centre. It is just a twenty minutes drive from there.
- Timings: The Serenity beach is open on all days. Tourists can visit the beach from early morning to dusk and evening.
- Entry fee: There is no entry fee charged to visit the beach.
- Visitor's Facility: There are facilities for relaxing and eating in Serenity beach. Stalls and restaurants along the road provide good food and local delicacies. There are also many accommodation places located near Serenity beach providing ample facilities for people to stay.
- Parking Facility: There is ample parking facility in the road running along the Serenity beach. Tourists can park their vehicles and cabs on the road leading to the beach.
- Distance from Pondicherry bus stand: The distance from the bus stand to the Serenity beach is 10 kms. One can get autos and cabs from the stand to the beach.
Highlights of Serenity Beach
‘Serenity’- the name itself depicts a serene atmosphere, calm and cool beach of Pondicherry. Less crowd and the quiet waters of the beach is sure to take you to calmness heaven. If you are into capturing the sun on the sea horizon, the best time to run to the beach would be the sunrise. Serenity beach offers a lovely view at dawn!
Unlike other beaches, you can enjoy both a sandy and rocky beach together in Serenity. The sand stretch with the palm trees and the huge rocks on another side make tourists doubly happy. A flea market and a surfing school are some of the distinctive attractions of Serenity beach. You can buy Pondicherry memorabilia in the market or learn surfing with a guide along the waters of the Bay of Bengal. One can always enjoy the sight of youngsters enjoy a chill day of surfing and riding the waves at Serenity.
Water Sports at Serenity Beach
Surfing is the major water sport activity of Serenity beach. People with a high adrenaline rush and love waves can go for surfing in the waters of the Bay of Bengal. There is a beautiful surf school located near the beach which provides surfing essentials on rent to tourists. One can also take surfer guides for a better surfing experience. The surfing school is a prominent facility where surfing lessons are given at different levels of learning.
The school also hosts premier surfing events and competitions where international tourists from across the world take part and enjoy the ambience. Serenity beach provides an enchanting view of youngsters and tourists riding the waves of the sea with the horizon at the backdrop.
Places to Stay near Serenity Beach
There are many good and affordable accommodation places located near Serenity beach. These hotels and home-stays provide luxurious facilities and a comfortable stay for guests. Some of the places include:
1. Koral Resort: This is a beautiful beach resort located near Serenity beach. The resort provides effective housekeeping and caretaker facilities. The Koral resort is situated at a distance of 5 kms away from the Pondicherry bus stand.
2. Maple Leaf Resort: This resort has good accommodation and food facilities. there is also a pool in the resort for tourists to enjoy and relax.
3. Kadal the Beach House: This beach house features luxurious accommodation facilities with outdoor swimming pool, a shared lounge and free Wi-Fi across the property. There is also a barbecue in the resort terrace which can be effectively used by the guests. the beach house is located just 6 kms away from the Pondicherry airport.
4. Serenity Beach Villas: This is a convenient accommodation place located near Serenity beach. Named after the beach, this place has direct beach access and is effective for a comfortable stay. the villas are located 7 kms from the Pondicherry airport.
Places to Eat near Serenity Beach
Serenity beach has awesome places for food varieties for tourists. You can enjoy local as well as international delicacies in the restaurants located nearby. Some of them include:
1. The Bull Restaurant: The Bull restaurant is famous for the Kuchi Eral (prawn) and Andhra chilli chicken dishes. The food and ambience in this trendy restaurant will surely savour the tourists.
2. Theevu Plage: Located in Serenity beach front, tourists can enjoy delicious food while looking over at the sea. The dine offered is good and gives a good experience to whoever visits the restaurant.
3. The Motorcycle Diaries: If bikes and biking is your thing, then the Motorcycle Diaries is perfect for you. You can enjoy beautiful music and the view of vintage and modern racing bikes in this cafe. The cafe comes with eye-catching interiors and the coffee and sandwich is great here!
4. Auroville Bakery: The bakery boasts of awesome burgers, snacks and salads for everyone. You can choose from a variety of toppings for your snacks and enjoy the pleasant cosy ambience of the Auroville bakery.
5. Shyama’s Kitchen: A place for great South Indian food, Shyama’s kitchen is run by Shyama- the energetic lady who is all set to please foodies with excellent South Indian food. The lady not only dishes out tasty food but also will enlighten you with effective cooking tips and techniques.
Tips before visiting Serenity Beach
1. Beach holiday is always full of fun and frolic. Lazing in the sand under the sun or playing in the waves, beaches enthral us all in every aspect. However, there are some tips to keep in mind before planning the Serenity beach holiday:
2. It is best to carry towels and extra pair of clothes while visiting Serenity beach. In case of getting wet at the waves, it is essential to carry an extra pair of clothes.
3. A sheet to sit on the beach is good to carry. Though the beach is clean, for the ones who are extra cautious on hygiene should carry a sheet to sit on.
4. Water bottle is a necessary thing to carry on the beach. You might not get the best of drinking water the moment you want it. So it is best to carry a water bottle.
5. Sunscreen, sunglasses and breathable fabrics are a must use when going to Serenity beach. To avoid any sunburn and tanning, sunscreen is required.