What are the best things to do in the Matheran?
Matheran is known for its visual appeal and exhilarating adventure sports and if a trip to this town is around the corner, here is a list of things to do in Matheran that will serve you with a rejuvenating experience.
1. Waterfall Rappelling At Dodhani Waterfalls: If you wish to add a pinch of adventure in your trip, waterfall rappelling at Dodhani Waterfalls is among the unmissable activities in Matheran . Even if you are not an experienced thrill-seeker, the gushing water all around you while descending from the slope will set your adrenaline racing.
For all those who are worried about their safety while enjoying this enthralling sport, there is a reason to be relieved. The service providers not only use high-quality ropes during water rappelling but also provide you with other necessary devices such as helmets, gloves, descenders, and seat harnesses.
Location: Matheran, Maharashtra.
2. Trek To Chanderi Caves: Nestled on the way from Badlapur to Karjat, Chanderi is a huge mountain range that rises up to an altitude of 800 meters. Being an integral part of Matheran adventure activities, trek to Chanderi Caves will introduce you to the surreal landscapes of Matheran.
Though walking through the winding trails might leave you tired, the impeccable view from the top is truly worth your effort and time. If you want to get the most out of this trek, it is advisable to plan it in the months between July and October.
Location: Panvel, Maharashtra.
3. Visit Charlotte Lake: Situated around 2 Km away from Matheran Railway Station, Charlotte Lake is reckoned as one of the best places in the town. During the monsoon season, this 50-foot deep lake is at its fullest and this when you can relish the panoramic view around it.
If you are a bird watcher, you can also visit this place in the morning or evening hours to capture some amazing bird species in your camera. On the left side of the lake, there is an ancient Pisharnath Mahadev Temple which is another interesting stop for the outsiders.
Location: Matheran, Maharashtra.
4. Stop At Louisa Point: Situated in close proximity to Charlotte Lake, Louisa Point serves the travelers with the most amazing vistas and alluring views of Prabalgad and Vishalgad forts. In the monsoons, the place appears no less than a paradise with its magnificent waterfalls and gigantic peaks.
The point can be visited at any time of the year and there is no entry fee for it. If you are looking for things to do in Matheran, a visit to Louisa Point is must-do for you. With its visual appeal and trekking opportunities, this place is popular among photo fanatics, hikers, and nature buffs.
Location: Raigad, Matheran.
Timing: 5:00 AM-6:00 PM.
5. Go On Kalavantin Pinnacle Trek: Apart from being a nature’s paradise, Matheran is also known for its adventure sports, thanks to the spots such as Kalavantin Pinnacle which offers tremendous opportunities for trekking. Cradled at an altitude of 2300 feet, Kalavantin fort is situated between Panvel and Matheran.
A trek to this place will not only quench your thirst for adventure but it will also offer you the most surreal views on the way. For all the adventure junkies and history buffs, Kalavantin trek is an experience to cherish for a lifetime. If you have been looking for some exciting things to do in Matheran, this is the place from where you can begin.
Location: Padaghe, Maharashtra.
6. Trek To Irshalgad Fort: Popularly known as sister fort to Prabalgad Fort, Irshalgad Fort is situated between Panvel and Matheran. The fort forms an ideal trekking destination for hikers and nature buffs. With its secluded location, alluring vistas, and peaceful surroundings, Irshalgad fort takes you away from the boisterous city life.
This is an easy trek which can be tried even by the beginners. The fort is situated atop a hill at a height of 3700 feet above the sea level. If you are someone who has an undying love for hiking, Irshalgad trek is the most enthralling thing to do in Matheran.
Location: Nadhal, Maharashtra.
7. Witness The Sahyadri Rage From Little Chowk Point: This is another popular spot in the picturesque town of Matheran which has captivated the hearts of the travelers. Flaunting the panoramic setting of Sahyadri Ranges, Little Chow Point witnesses a huge influx of travelers every day. From this point, you can relish breathtaking views of Karnala Fort and Panvel town.
Besides this, it also offers charismatic views of Vishalgad and Pranalgad forts. If you are an ardent nature lover who wants to take a break from the hectic life, this is a must-visit place for you.
Location: Raigad, Matheran, Maharashtra.
Timings: 6:00 AM-7:00 PM.
8. Visit The Ambernath Shiv Temple: Though Matheran is hugely popular as a hill station in Maharashtra, its rich heritage is something which adds to its irresistible charm. Yes, the hilly town of Matheran also comprises religious spots such as Ambarnath Shiv Temple which has beautifully preserved the ancient history of the town.
Situated around 37kilometers away from the hill station, this temple is nestled on the banks of Waldhuni river. Apart from its religious importance, it is also known for its Hemadpanthi architectural style. If you want to indulge in some sacred activities in Matheran, a visit to this temple is all that you need.
Location: New Bhendi Pada, Ambernath, Maharashtra.
Timings: 8:00 AM-6:00 PM.
9. Go Rock Climbing: With a plethora of things to do in Matheran like trekking, hiking, and rappelling, this town has truly become a heaven for adventure junkies. One such activity which quadruples the charm of this adventurous trip is rock climbing. From Alexander Point to Louisa Point, Shivaji’s Ladder, and Prabal Fort, there are several such spots where you can enjoy this activity. You can also opt for an overnight climb from Garbett Point to Matheran.
10. Explore Porcupine Point: Also popular as Sunset Point, Porcupine Point is an epitome of natural splendor. If your holidays are about to end and you have just last few days in your hands, a trip to this point is all that you need. Blessed with lush green forests and picturesque surroundings, Porcupine Point also offers alluring views of Prabalgad Fort. Apart from its breathtaking sunset views, this point is also known for an additional attraction, called, Cathedral Rocks.
Location: Porcupine Point. Matheran, Maharashtra.
11. Enjoy Toy Train Ride: This joyous train ride which begins from Neral station is one of the most memorable things to do in Matheran. The toy train covers a distance of around 21 Km and passes through dense forests embracing the gigantic hills of Matheran. Presenting a unique combination of rich wildlife, exotic flora, and lush green forests, the toy train ride is the best way to explore the beauty of this hilly town. All kind of vehicles are banned in Matheran and hence, on your train ride, you will get to see a pollution free town.
Location: Matheran, Maharashtra.
Timings: 8:50 AM to 3:55 PM.
12. Witness Shivaji’s Ladder: Situated at a distance of 3.5 Km from Matheran, Shivaji’s Ladder is cradled on the way to One Tree Hill Point. A beautiful pathway boasting of steps like a ladder, this ladder was often used by Emperor Shivaji for pleasure trips. The path is surrounded by woods and is reckoned among the top trekking spots in the town.
Since the trail is steep, one can use horses to visit this place. If you are looking for some unique places to visit in Matheran, this point surely deserves a mention.
Location: Near One Tree Hill Point, Matheran.