Activities to Do in MatheranCradled near Mumbai city, Matheran is a tiny hill station in Maharashtra which provides its visitors with a much-needed escape from the bustling city crowd. The charm of this hilly abode reaches its peak in the monsoon season when the nearby waterfalls are at their best and the entire forest area turns into a lush green blanket.
Whether you are a nature seeker or an adventure junkie, there are a plethora of things to do in Matheran which will leave you in awe of this place. Being a travelers delight, Matheran is mostly visited by trekkers, photography buffs, and peace seekers. From Alexander Point, Rambagh Point, and Echo Point to Charlotte Lake, Louisa Point, and One Tree Hill, there are bountiful of spots in this town which will quench your thirst for adventure and travel.
Apart from being an absolute delight for nature buffs, Matheran also comprises few historical monuments which talk about the rich historical past of this mesmerizing place. With places like Prabal Fort and Irshalgad Fort in its reserve, Matheran has managed to preserve its ancient treasures successfully.
Though this quaint town is largely known for its surreal points, there are some enthralling activities in Matheran such as toy train ride, horseback ride, and zip lining, which will make you fall in love with it. So, if you are planning a weekend trip to this quaint town, here is a list of all the things to do in Matheran.
Things to Do in Matheran
People Also Ask About Matheran Things To Do
What are the best things to do in the Matheran?Matheran is known for its visual appeal and exhilarating adventure sports and if a trip to this town is around the corner, here is a list of things to do in Matheran that will serve you with a rejuvenating experience.
1. Waterfall Rappelling At Dodhani Waterfalls: If you wish to add a pinch of adventure in your trip, waterfall rappelling at Dodhani Waterfalls is among the unmissable activities in Matheran . Even if you are not an experienced thrill-seeker, the gushing water all around you while descending from the slope will set your adrenaline racing.
For all those who are worried about their safety while enjoying this enthralling sport, there is a reason to be relieved. The service providers not only use high-quality ropes during water rappelling but also provide you with other necessary devices such as helmets, gloves, descenders, and seat harnesses.
Location: Matheran, Maharashtra.
2. Trek To Chanderi Caves: Nestled on the way from Badlapur to Karjat, Chanderi is a huge mountain range that rises up to an altitude of 800 meters. Being an integral part of Matheran adventure activities, trek to Chanderi Caves will introduce you to the surreal landscapes of Matheran.
Though walking through the winding trails might leave you tired, the impeccable view from the top is truly worth your effort and time. If you want to get the most out of this trek, it is advisable to plan it in the months between July and October.
Location: Panvel, Maharashtra.
3. Visit Charlotte Lake: Situated around 2 Km away from Matheran Railway Station, Charlotte Lake is reckoned as one of the best places in the town. During the monsoon season, this 50-foot deep lake is at its fullest and this when you can relish the panoramic view around it.
If you are a bird watcher, you can also visit this place in the morning or evening hours to capture some amazing bird species in your camera. On the left side of the lake, there is an ancient Pisharnath Mahadev Temple which is another interesting stop for the outsiders.
Location: Matheran, Maharashtra.
4. Stop At Louisa Point: Situated in close proximity to Charlotte Lake, Louisa Point serves the travelers with the most amazing vistas and alluring views of Prabalgad and Vishalgad forts. In the monsoons, the place appears no less than a paradise with its magnificent waterfalls and gigantic peaks.
The point can be visited at any time of the year and there is no entry fee for it. If you are looking for things to do in Matheran, a visit to Louisa Point is must-do for you. With its visual appeal and trekking opportunities, this place is popular among photo fanatics, hikers, and nature buffs.
Location: Raigad, Matheran.
Timing: 5:00 AM-6:00 PM.
5. Go On Kalavantin Pinnacle Trek: Apart from being a nature’s paradise, Matheran is also known for its adventure sports, thanks to the spots such as Kalavantin Pinnacle which offers tremendous opportunities for trekking. Cradled at an altitude of 2300 feet, Kalavantin fort is situated between Panvel and Matheran.
A trek to this place will not only quench your thirst for adventure but it will also offer you the most surreal views on the way. For all the adventure junkies and history buffs, Kalavantin trek is an experience to cherish for a lifetime. If you have been looking for some exciting things to do in Matheran, this is the place from where you can begin.
Location: Padaghe, Maharashtra.
6. Trek To Irshalgad Fort: Popularly known as sister fort to Prabalgad Fort, Irshalgad Fort is situated between Panvel and Matheran. The fort forms an ideal trekking destination for hikers and nature buffs. With its secluded location, alluring vistas, and peaceful surroundings, Irshalgad fort takes you away from the boisterous city life.
This is an easy trek which can be tried even by the beginners. The fort is situated atop a hill at a height of 3700 feet above the sea level. If you are someone who has an undying love for hiking, Irshalgad trek is the most enthralling thing to do in Matheran.
Location: Nadhal, Maharashtra.
7. Witness The Sahyadri Rage From Little Chowk Point: This is another popular spot in the picturesque town of Matheran which has captivated the hearts of the travelers. Flaunting the panoramic setting of Sahyadri Ranges, Little Chow Point witnesses a huge influx of travelers every day. From this point, you can relish breathtaking views of Karnala Fort and Panvel town.
Besides this, it also offers charismatic views of Vishalgad and Pranalgad forts. If you are an ardent nature lover who wants to take a break from the hectic life, this is a must-visit place for you.
Location: Raigad, Matheran, Maharashtra.
Timings: 6:00 AM-7:00 PM.
8. Visit The Ambernath Shiv Temple: Though Matheran is hugely popular as a hill station in Maharashtra, its rich heritage is something which adds to its irresistible charm. Yes, the hilly town of Matheran also comprises religious spots such as Ambarnath Shiv Temple which has beautifully preserved the ancient history of the town.
Situated around 37kilometers away from the hill station, this temple is nestled on the banks of Waldhuni river. Apart from its religious importance, it is also known for its Hemadpanthi architectural style. If you want to indulge in some sacred activities in Matheran, a visit to this temple is all that you need.
Location: New Bhendi Pada, Ambernath, Maharashtra.
Timings: 8:00 AM-6:00 PM.
9. Go Rock Climbing: With a plethora of things to do in Matheran like trekking, hiking, and rappelling, this town has truly become a heaven for adventure junkies. One such activity which quadruples the charm of this adventurous trip is rock climbing. From Alexander Point to Louisa Point, Shivaji’s Ladder, and Prabal Fort, there are several such spots where you can enjoy this activity. You can also opt for an overnight climb from Garbett Point to Matheran.
10. Explore Porcupine Point: Also popular as Sunset Point, Porcupine Point is an epitome of natural splendor. If your holidays are about to end and you have just last few days in your hands, a trip to this point is all that you need. Blessed with lush green forests and picturesque surroundings, Porcupine Point also offers alluring views of Prabalgad Fort. Apart from its breathtaking sunset views, this point is also known for an additional attraction, called, Cathedral Rocks.
Location: Porcupine Point. Matheran, Maharashtra.
11. Enjoy Toy Train Ride: This joyous train ride which begins from Neral station is one of the most memorable things to do in Matheran. The toy train covers a distance of around 21 Km and passes through dense forests embracing the gigantic hills of Matheran. Presenting a unique combination of rich wildlife, exotic flora, and lush green forests, the toy train ride is the best way to explore the beauty of this hilly town. All kind of vehicles are banned in Matheran and hence, on your train ride, you will get to see a pollution free town.
Location: Matheran, Maharashtra.
Timings: 8:50 AM to 3:55 PM.
12. Witness Shivaji’s Ladder: Situated at a distance of 3.5 Km from Matheran, Shivaji’s Ladder is cradled on the way to One Tree Hill Point. A beautiful pathway boasting of steps like a ladder, this ladder was often used by Emperor Shivaji for pleasure trips. The path is surrounded by woods and is reckoned among the top trekking spots in the town.
Since the trail is steep, one can use horses to visit this place. If you are looking for some unique places to visit in Matheran, this point surely deserves a mention.
Location: Near One Tree Hill Point, Matheran.
What are the best adventure activities to do in Matheran?1. Parasailing and Paragliding: The stunning natural terrain in Matheran is the perfect place to indulge in parasailing and paragliding, like never before. You can enjoy these services at a very reasonable cost and take in the best views of the city.
2. Night Trek to Matheran via Garbett Point: The Garbett Point is one of the most popular trekking points for adventure freaks. You can spend a day trekking and camp with your loved ones.
3. Rock climbing: One of the most exciting things to do in Matheran includes rock climbing, where you can visit places like Alexander Point, Shivaji’s Ladder and Louisa Point to climb hills, surmount rocks and catch incredible, one-of-a-kind views of the surrounding landscape.
4. Rappelling in Dodhani Waterfall: Rappelling in the Dodhani Waterfall is an exciting activity that can be enjoyed by everyone. Not only is it a great way to get an adrenaline rush, but you can also catch some stunning nature views while you’re at it.
Planning a Trip To Daman and Diu! Checkout Our Best Selling Daman and Diu Tour Packages Now!
Which are the best sites for camping in Matheran?1. Charlotte Lake: If you want to go camping in Matheran, you must visit Charlotte Lake where you can set up camp on the banks of this picturesque lake. The best time to indulge in this activity is during winter, when the mist in the mountains look extra beautiful.
2. Alexander Point: You can also experience a serene and peaceful jungle camping adventure in Alexander Point, which includes posh tents, activities like bonfires and barbecues and local treks.
3. Echo Point: Echo Point is another wonderful viewpoint where you can set up camp for the night. In fact, there are regular summer camps that are held there for kids as well.
4. Irshalgad Fort: For those who are proficient campers, Irshalgad Fort is a popular haunt, where you can camp, trek, hike and enjoy breathtaking views of the Matheran landscape.
Planning a Honeymoon to Ratnagiri !Checkout Our Best Selling Ratnagiri Honeymoon Packages Now!
Are there treks in and around Matheran?
Yes, there are several treks in and around Matheran which can give you an adrenaline rush. These treks take you through the lush green forests and gigantic hills of Matheran and leave you in awe of this hilly abode.
Here is a complete list of trekking spots near the town which have won millions of hearts:
-Kalavantin Pinnacle Trek,
-Chanderi Caves trek,
-Garbett Point trek via Bhivpuri Road Station,
-Panorama Point trek,
-One Tree Hill trek,
-Dodhani Village to Sunset Point trek.
Planning a Honeymoon To Ganpatipule! Then You should Checkout Ganpatipule Honeymoon Packages Now!
How many days are enough for Matheran?Two days is enough for a quiet weekend away in Matheran with your loved ones. Even if you are travelling solo, you can explore all the natural wonders that this place has to offer, along with the tourist attractions in a couple of well-planned days.
Newly Added Matheran Experience
Adamo The Resort, Matheran | Luxury Staycation Deal
₹ 9,500 per Room ₹ 5,299 per Room
2 Nights 3 Days Tour Package from Pune
₹ 13,000 per Adult ₹ 10,000 per Adult
2 Night 3 Days Package From Mumbai
₹ 13,600 per Adult ₹ 11,500 per Adult
The Byke Heritage, Matheran | Luxury Staycation Deal
₹ 5,100 per Room ₹ 4,033 per Room
Traveling many kilometers for this expereince worth it really, everything was well-arranged and well-organized... The whole trip goes as per itinerary planned... and what best was that we didn't miss anything from it... hospitable, friendly and supportive staff. Kudos team
I have booked the resort for my friend as it was her bday. We have planned a surprise for her with a group of 7 people. The staff at the resort was very friendly they have arranged the cake on special request. We had a lot of fun there especially the horse riding activity we enjoyed it. Thank you Thrillophilia for best offere=ing great and affordable package for our experience.
Picked-up was on-time from the hotel, the driver cum guide was knowledgable and experience about the place. Droved us nicely to each spot as per the itinerary planned by the team as well shared with us a good history of the place in detail... Transport was perfect which fits us comfortably. Cheaper but really a smooth 1-day trip it was
I'm very excited about this tour, the people were nice, the place is stunning, the overall arrangement was super superb.
Lovely trip with family and friends in just a day you'll cover all the main attractions of the place...Thanks, Thrillophilia
Easy meeting at the pickup point, The transport was nice and spacious, The trek was easy and fun had an enjoyable moonlight and stargazing, The guide was knowledgable shared with us the amazing history of the place, Nice tasty breakfast.
I had a great time with my friends here in the villa without hassle. The rooms were very comfortable and clean, The housekeeping was very accomodating and kind helps us to explore all around areas. It's worth everything for me.
Everything was well prepared and on time from the transport, meals, and trekking. Everything is going so well that we did not have any issues or excuses for this tour. Everybody gave positive feedback. I would give a full score.
For sure a great experience for all, I like everything about this trip as the company provides us with perfections.
Absolutely nice stay with nice delicious Maharashtrian cuisine meals. The caretakers were very nice and friendly. Highly recommended for everyone.
Mumbai 590 Things to do in Mumbai
Lonavala 164 Things to do in Lonavala
Mahabaleshwar 59 Things to do in Mahabaleshwar
Igatpuri 34 Things to do in Igatpuri
Kolad 27 Things to do in Kolad
Kamshet 19 Things to do in Kamshet
Nagpur 18 Things to do in Nagpur
Lavasa 8 Things to do in Lavasa
Ladakh Tour Packages Himachal Tour Packages Kashmir Tour Packages Rajasthan Tour Packages Andaman Tour Packages Kerala Tour Packages Uttarakhand Tour Packages Goa Tour Packages Spiti Valley Tour Packages North India Tour Packages South India Tour Packages North East Tour Packages India Tour Packages Delhi Tour Packages Ooty Tour Packages Gangtok Tour Packages Chikmagalur Tour Packages Sikkim Tour Packages Shimla Tour Packages Manali Tour Packages Rishikesh Tour Packages Meghalaya Tour Packages Jim Corbett Tour Packages Mussoorie Tour Packages Arunachal Tour Packages Kerala Houseboat Packages Darjeeling Tour Packages Leh Ladakh Bike Trip Packages Auli Tour Packages Nainital Tour Packages Kedarnath Tour Packages CharDham Yatra Packages Dharamshala Tour Packages Wayanad Tour Packages Kerala Tour Packages Jaipur Tour Packages Jodhpur Tour Packages Udaipur Tour Packages Golden Triangle Tour Packages Mount Abu Tour Packages Ranthambore Tour Package Cordelia Cruise Packages Munnar Tour Packages Coorg Tour Packages Shillong Tour Packages Mahabaleshwar Tour Packages Ooty Tour Packages Karnataka Tour Packages Srinagar Tour Packages Dehradun Tour Packages Lonavala Tour Packages
Maldives Package Bali Tour Packages Dubai Tour Packages Europe Tour Packages Switzerland Tour Packages Singapore Tour Packages Thailand Tour Packages Bhutan Tour Packages Sri Lanka Tour Packages Mauritius Tour Packages Seychelles Tour Packages Bangkok Tour Packages Pattaya Tour Packages Greece Tour Packages Paris Tour Packages London Tour Packages Phuket Tour Packages Norway Northern Lights Tour Finland Tour Packages Amsterdam Tour Packages Italy Tour Packages Iceland Tour Packages Turkey Tour Packages Norway Tour Packages Spain Tour Packages Germany Tour Packages Istanbul Tour Packages Nepal Tour Packages Malaysia Tour Packages Vietnam Tour Packages Australia Tour Packages South Africa Tour Packages Japan Tour Packages Egypt Tour Packages Philippines Tour Packages Hong Kong Tour Packages Ireland Tour Packages Africa Tour Packages Russia Tour Packages Kenya Tour Packages Prague Tour Packages Masai Mara Packages Antarctica Tour Packages New Zealand Tour Packages Sweden Northern Lights Packages Denmark Tour Packages Israel Tour Packages Kenya Safari Packages Cambodia Tour Packages Jordan Tour Packages Tanzania Tour Packages Santorini Tour Packages Austria Tour Packages Croatia Tour Packages
Ladakh Honeymoon Packages Himachal Honeymoon Packages Kashmir Honeymoon Packages Rajasthan Honeymoon Packages Andaman Honeymoon Packages Kerala Honeymoon Packages North East Honeymoon Packages India Honeymoon Packages Sikkim Honeymoon Packages Shimla Honeymoon Packages Manali Honeymoon Packages Darjeeling Honeymoon Packages Nainital Honeymoon Packages Ooty Honeymoon Package Mahabaleshwar Honeymoon Package Kodaikanal Honeymoon Packages Goa Honeymoon Packages Munnar Honeymoon Packages Coorg Honeymoon Packages Udaipur Honeymoon Packages Gangtok Honeymoon Packages Wayanad Honeymoon Packages Alleppey Honeymoon Packages Lakshadweep Honeymoon Packages
Maldives Honeymoon Packages Europe Honeymoon Packages Thailand Honeymoon Packages Mauritius Honeymoon Packages Santorini Honeymoon Packages London Honeymoon Packages Italy Honeymoon Packages Norway Honeymoon Packages Spain Honeymoon Packages Vietnam Honeymoon Packages Australia Honeymoon Packages Bali Honeymoon Packages Switzerland Honeymoon Packages Bhutan Honeymoon Packages Seychelles Honeymoon Packages Greece Honeymoon Packages Phuket Honeymoon Packages Iceland Honeymoon Packages Nepal Honeymoon Packages Philippines Honeymoon Packages New Zealand Honeymoon Packages Dubai Honeymoon Packages Singapore Honeymoon Packages Sri Lanka Honeymoon Packages Bangkok Honeymoon Packages Paris Honeymoon Packages Amsterdam Honeymoon Packages Turkey Honeymoon Packages Malaysia Honeymoon Packages South Africa Honeymoon Packages
Places to Visit in Delhi Places to Visit in Goa Places to Visit in Pune Places to Visit in Bangalore Places to Visit in Mumbai Places to Visit in Hyderabad Places to Visit in Jaipur Places to Visit in Chennai Places to Visit in Kolkata Places to Visit in Ladakh Places to Visit in Spiti Places to Visit in Andaman Places to Visit in Arunachal Pradesh Places to Visit in North East Places to Visit in Sikkim Places to Visit in Darjeeling Places to Visit in Meghalaya Places to Visit in Gangtok Places to Visit in Rajasthan Places to Visit in Uttarakhand Places to Visit in Kerala Places to Visit in Karnataka Places to Visit in Maharashtra Places To Visit In Himachal Pradesh Places to Visit in Madhya Pradesh Places to Visit in Kashmir Places to Visit in Manali Places to Visit in Dharamshala Places to Visit in Shimla Places to Visit in Mcleodganj Places to Visit in Nainital Places to Visit in Mussoorie Places to Visit in Dehradun Places to Visit in Rishikesh Places To Visit In Jammu Places to Visit in Srinagar Places to Visit in Chikmagalur Places to Visit in Munnar Places to Visit in Kodaikanal Places to Visit in Ooty Places to Visit in Pondicherry Places to Visit in Wayanad Places to Visit in Coorg Places to Visit in Mysore Places to Visit in Lonavala Places to Visit in Alibaug Places To Visit In Mahabaleshwar Places to Visit in Udaipur Places to Visit in Jodhpur Places to Visit in Jaisalmer Places to Visit in Mount Abu Places to Visit in Agra Places To Visit In South Goa Places To Visit In North Goa
Places to Visit in Dubai Places to Visit in Abu Dhabi Places to Visit in Sri Lanka Places to Visit in Maldives Places to Visit in Singapore Places to Visit in Bali Places to Visit in Thailand Places to Visit in Nepal Places to Visit in Bangkok Places to Visit in Kuala Lumpur Places to Visit in Malaysia Places to Visit in Bhutan Places to Visit in Cambodia Places to Visit in Vietnam Places to Visit in Australia Places to Visit in New Zealand Places to Visit in Sydney Places to Visit in South Africa Places to Visit in Kenya Places to Visit in Philippines Places to Visit in Japan Places to Visit in Hong Kong Places to Visit in Macau Places to Visit in Jordan Places to Visit in Saudi Arabia Places to Visit in Turkey Places to Visit in Istanbul Places to Visit in Mauritius Places to Visit in Europe Places to Visit in Switzerland Places to Visit in Greece Places to Visit in Paris Places to Visit in London Places to Visit in Amsterdam Places to Visit in Italy Places to Visit in Germany Places to Visit in Norway Places to Visit in Finland Places to Visit in Denmark Places to Visit in Sweden Places to Visit in Budapest Places to Visit in New York
Things to Do in Delhi Things to Do in Goa Things to Do in Pune Things to Do in Bangalore Things to Do in Mumbai Things to Do in Hyderabad Things to Do in Jaipur Things to Do in Chennai Things to Do in Kolkata Things to Do in Ladakh Things to Do in Spiti Valley Things to Do in Andaman Things to Do in Chandigarh Things to Do in Mahabaleshwar Things to Do in Sikkim Things to Do in Darjeeling Things to Do in Meghalaya Things to Do in Gangtok Things to Do in Rajasthan Things to Do in Uttarakhand Things to Do in Kerala Things to Do in Kasauli Things to Do in Corbett Things to Do in Himachal Pradesh Things to Do in Madhya Pradesh Things to Do in Kashmir Things to Do in Manali Things to Do in Dharamshala Things to Do in Shimla Things to Do in Mcleodganj Things to Do in Nainital Things to Do in Mussoorie Things to Do in Dehradun Things to Do in Rishikesh Things to Do in Jammu Things to Do in Srinagar Things to Do in Chikmagalur Things to Do in Munnar Things to Do in Kodaikanal Things to Do in Ooty Things to Do in Pondicherry Things to Do in Wayanad Things to Do in Coorg Things to Do in Mysore Things to Do in Lonavala Things to Do in Alibaug Things to Do in Karnataka Things to Do in Udaipur Things to Do in Jodhpur Things to Do in Jaisalmer Things to Do in Mount Abu Things to Do in Agra Things to Do in South Goa Things to Do in North Goa
Things to Do in Dubai Things to Do in Abu Dhabi Things to Do in Sri Lanka Things to Do in Maldives Things to Do in Singapore Things to Do in Bali Things to Do in Thailand Things to Do in Nepal Things to Do in Bangkok Things to Do in Kuala Lumpur Things to Do in Malaysia Things to Do in Bhutan Things to Do in Cambodia Things to Do in Vietnam Things to Do in Phuket Things to Do in Colombo Things to Do in Australia Things to Do in New Zealand Things to Do in Sydney Things to Do in South Africa Things to Do in Kenya Things to Do in Seychelles Things to Do in Philippines Things to Do in Japan Things to Do in Hongkong Things to Do in Macau Things to Do in Turkey Things to Do in Istanbul Things to Do in Mauritius Things to Do in Egypt Things to Do in Canada Things to Do in Budapest Things to Do in Europe Things to Do in Switzerland Things to Do in Greece Things to Do in Paris Things to Do in London Things to Do in Amsterdam Things to Do in Italy Things to Do in Germany Things to Do in Norway Things to Do in Finland Things to Do in Denmark Things to Do in Sweden Things to Do in Santorini Things to Do in Iceland Things to Do in Prague Things to Do in Russia
Pawna Lake Camping Chadar Trek Everest Base Camp Trek Treks in India Camps in Rishikesh Jaisalmer Camps Weekend Getaways from Bangalore Places to Visit near Mumbai Weekend Getaways from Delhi Weekend Getaways from Pune Museum of Future Tickets Gardens By The Bay Tickets Universal Studios Singapore Tickets Warner Bros Studio Tour London Tower of London Tickets London Eye Tickets Park Guell Tickets Windsor Castle Tickets Sagrada Familia Tickets Taronga Zoo Tickets Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary Tickets SkyPoint Observation Deck Tickets Aquaria KLCC Tickets KL Tower Tickets Eiffel Tower Tickets Beaches in India Alhambra & Nasrid Palaces Tickets Stonehenge Tickets James Bond Island Tour Resorts in Maldives Desert Safari Dubai Bali Swing Mount Batur Sunrise Trek Triund Trek Dhow Cruise Dubai Marina Cappadocia Hot Air Balloon Amsterdam Canal Cruise Rijksmuseum Tickets Van Gogh Museum Tickets Vatican Museums Tickets Colosseum Tickets Louvre Museum Tickets Disneyland Paris Tickets Uffizi Gallery Tickets Burj Khalifa Tickets