- Do not speak loudly in public areas or point fingers at anyone.
- Swiss people dislike loud noise or joking loudly.
- Do not give expensive gifts to anyone.
- Avoid giving chrysanthemums and white lilies as gifts as they are the flowers used in funerals.
- Drink only after the first toast is given by the host.
- There is no obligation to tip.
- Do not ask personal questions about their salary, personal affairs, etc, as they consider their privacy highly.
- Do not clean your nails in public or chew gum while talking.
- Do not put hands in your pocket when talking to someone.
- Handshake is a form of standard greeting that is followed.
- Three pecks on the cheek is a greeting for someone you are familiar with.
- Follow European table manners when you dine outside.
- Dress neatly and conservatively.
- Be punctual when invited anywhere.
16 years and over is the legal
drinking age for wine and beer. 18 years and above is the legal drinking age
for spirits and hard drinks in Switzerland.
Events, dining, and festivals
Streetparade is an open air rave techno event conducted here. This is organized in August every year. 1st August is celebrated as Swiss National Day. On this day you can expect fireworks.Züri Fäscht is the festival that celebrates Zurich. Sechseläuten is a spring festival where people dress up in the historical guild costumes.
Rote Fabrik is a cultural centre of the youth where events in music, films, and theatre are organised. Theater am Neumarkt is a German speaking theatre. Neumarkt 5 is a Zurich opera house that organises shows from world famous opera productions. Beyer Watch Museum is a watch museum that has collections of watches that are a 100 years old.
Polybahn is a popular trek down the hill as it has a beautiful view. Take up skiing in ski-resorts and treat yourself to this snow sports. Hiking at the Üetliberg hill is also one of the popular routes among the hikers. Käferberg is good for hiking and walking in the forest area. Bike rides in Zurich are popular. You can also take walking tours in Zurich. Rhine Falls are famous waterfalls that have a scenic view.
Website: Official Website
Books: Travel Journal Zurich by imusti
Zurich is a good place to visit with family and friends. Summer is appropriate to place to travel Zurich city.
Summer- The best time to visit Zurich is between June and August. The weather is very sunny. This is the time Zurich becomes very crowded. The temperature stays within 21 degree Celsius.
Winter- The city becomes quite a cool place. But the city is not crowded. So new weds can spend a good time together. The city experiences minimum -6-degree Celsius.
Monsoon- This is the weather in which the city is least expensive. The tourists are very less as compared to other weather.
The distance between Zurich and India is 6877 KM. Flights can be taken from Mumbai, Delhi to reach Zurich.
- Flight- Tourists can get flights to their respective countries from Zurich Airport. Air India Limited and Swiss International Airlines are some of the flights which can be boarded from India.
- Road- It is convenient to reach Zurich via road. Getting international license is must. Driving is quite easier.
- Train- Hauptbahnhof is the main railway station of Zurich. It is the world’s biggest station. A number of trains can be boarded from here.
In spite of paragliding and boating, many different things can also be done in Zurich. Following are the things to be done this amazing city of Switzerland.
- Boating- Boating is the awesome thing to be done in Zurich. Fancy dinner cruise and single party cruise are brilliant offerings. The boat begins at Landesmuseum station and is very crowded.
- Zurich west is best- Industries Quartier or Zurich west is the heart of the city. It is the appropriate place for shopaholics. Foodies can enjoy good food in restaurants. It has many bars and its arches are the main attraction.
- Badi- Badis of Zurich is a unique attraction of the city. Flussbad Oberer is the magnetism place where one can enjoy various varieties of vines. Tattoo lovers get exciting places to make tattoos. Swimmers also get an opportunity to swim.
After spending the whole day in traveling, a person gets fully satisfied by visiting this soothing place to relax. Some of the resorts of Zurich city are as follows:-
- The Dolder Grand- It is the 5-star hotel in Zurich. It is the well-furnished hotel located on Adlisberg Hill in Kreis 7. It is very expensive hotel yet worth.
- Widder Hotel- The architecture of the place is mesmerizing. The rooms, the lobby, and all the amenities are absolutely perfect. They are blessed to have supporting staff also.
- Hotel Schweizerhof- This is the 4-star hotel yet the iconic hotel of the city. It is known throughout the city for its electronic services. It includes Wifi, electronically adjustable beds etc.
It is very convenient to reach Zurich from other places. The city has good public
transportation to commute around Zurich.
- Public transportation- Train, bus and cycle networks etc can be used to travel the whole city. Boats and cable cars can also be taken. For the sake of tourists, tourism information centers are available.
- Switzerland is the most convenient city in terms of convenience facility. The Swiss Federal Railways are available 24/7. The fare is also very reasonable.
- Taxi services are very comfortable yet expensive in Zurich. The charges depend upon luggage, the time consumed etc. There is no compulsion on giving tip as services charges are taken separately.
Shopaholics can have numerous places to go shopping. Brand oriented and reasonable prices are common here.
- Bahnhofstrasse- This pedestrian area is known for its lavishing facilities like jewelry, watches, boutiques and much more. No vehicles are found and so a person has to walk along with their belongings.
- Niederdorf- This place is the priority of all the shopaholics. It is situated in the old city. Fashion freaks love to go there. Varieties of fancy shoes and fashion stores are available at the market.
- Old Town- This market is located between Bahnhofstrasse and the river Limmat. International clothing brands, boutiques, designer stores, cutleries, toy shops etc are some of the items which can be purchased from Old Town.
Following are the must visit places of the city. Have a look:-
- Grossmunster church- This is the church of Great Minister. The architecture here is astonishing. It is assumed that this place has been constructed by Charlemagne in the memory of Felix and Regula.
- Schweizerisches Landesmuseum- It is the national museum for Fairytale castles. It has many historic fairytale castles. It is popular for its historic tour.
- Opera House of Zurich- There are many amazing places in Zurich, its opera house is another amazing place in the city. This place witnesses many international stars. It has been awarded as Best Opera Company of the year.
Nightlife in Zurich can be spent in bars and street clubs. Nightout, in Zurich is so much fun. People can have a good time together.
- Moods im Schiffbau- This venue is known to accord live music ambiance to music lovers. One of the best clubs in Zurich is supposed to come and perform here.
- Gonzo club- Gonzo club is an appropriate place for pop, soul, funk, rock etc. This club is known for its retro look.
- Dante bar- Dante bar is an amazing place to spend the whole night. It is popular on account of its gin and gin cocktails.
Moments capturing history have been secured in various monuments. A person should go there once definitely.
- Town Hall and Grossmunster- Both of the places have been beautifully designed in order to retain the historic culture. People spend quality time here. They get attached with its mesmerizing architecture.
- Fraumunster Abbey and Opera house- These places are the most marvelous and attractive places of entire Zurich. These are the most visited places of the city with historic environment.
- Old Town and St. Peter Church- These places are known to offer historic things. The market area has many houses and shops. Both of the places were established in early nineteenth century.
Those seeking for adventure will not be left unsatisfied here. Following are the places every photographer would love.
- Enjoy in nature’s lap- Paragliding from Interlake over the Swiss Alps is very adventurous. Adventure seekers and nature lovers love this place a lot. Paragliding can be experienced from Lauterbrunnen also.
- Matterhorn Glacier Paradise- Matterhorn Glacier is the highest mountain station. It is just 3 hours distant from Zurich. Europe’s biggest waterfall, Rhine falls are situated in
Zurich. It can also be visited once.
Want to spend time with different varieties of flora and fauna, places given below are must visit the place.
- Langenberg Wildlife Park Zurich is the home place for many wild animals. Wolves, brown bears etc are found here. Varieties of flora and fauna are taken utmost care here.
- Zurich is a good example of culture. It has much-varied heritage. The annual circus is also organized here. Animals do all the acrobats. They perform all the stunts themselves.
- Wildnispark Zurich is another amazing place. It has Masoala rain forest and Elephant Park. Many restaurants and hotels are also available to eat some snacks.
Museums of Zurich city are world known for their architecture and furnished construction.
- Kunsthaus Zurich- Kunsthaus Zurich is a place with a good collection of modern art. Followers of sculptor Alberto Giacometti dedicate creations to him. All the Swiss artists and their creations are displayed there.
- Landesmuseum- This museum was constructed in late 1800. The furnishing has been done through medieval architecture. It has a vast collection of historic culture of Switzerland. Many weekly programs are organized for children.
- Zoo Zurich- This world-class museum is known for its dome filled wildlife. It got worldwide recognition from ‘Masoalahalle’. The Thai food compensates the rest.
- Focus Terra- This museum is known to concentrate only on planets and natural wonders. They have a vast collection of rocks and minerals. Volcanism and plate tectonics are shown here.
The Zurich Lake is a very beautiful example of heaven.
- “Golden coast” is situated at popular Lake of Zurich. It is spread through the northern side of the Lake. Magnificent houses and villas make this place a must visit one. The prices are also very reasonable.
- The eastern end is the “rose town” of Rapperswil. More than 600 different varieties of roses are found here and that too 15,000 roses. This place is popular throughout the world for its picturesque Old town.