Paragliding in Shimla1. Shivpuri
People Also Ask About Paragliding in Shimla
Which are the best places for paragliding in Shimla?
1. Waknaghat: Waknaghat is more famous as a paragliding spot around the Lower Range Himalayas. Since the place is not exactly located in Shimla, you will be able to paraglide towards the main city and experience the paradisiacal views from the top. During your time in the air, you can feel the air flowing gently, caressing your face amidst the clouds.
Also, the wonderful views of tiny houses at the edge of mountain slopes and the terraced tea gardens are something to die for. Usually, the flying time ranges between 12 and 20 minutes. As for the flying speed, it will depend on the wind speed in the mountainous region.
Location: 20 kms from Shimla
Price: INR 2,500 for each person
Timing: 10AM to 4:30PM
2. Shivpuri: For paragliding in Shimla, no other place will be as suitable as Shivpuri. Here, you can make an ascent to a maximum height of 3100 feet above sea level. At this height, you will be within the Middle Himalayan Region, and hence, the views from this point are exquisite and unparalleled.
Flying in between the white clouds while marvelling at the snow-capped mountain peaks, the mysterious alpine forests, and the deep gorges is an experience that nothing can ever surpass. At Shivpuri, the total time for paragliding lasts about 5 to 6 hours, with flying time lasting 15 to 20 minutes.
Location: Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
Price: INR 4000 per individual
Timing: 9AM to 4PM
What is the best time for paragliding in Shimla?Since you need a clear climate with no rain or hailstorm for paragliding in Shimla, the best time will be between March and June.During this time, the city experiences summer weather with no rain.
Besides, another time where you can visit Shimla for paragliding is between September and December.
What is the minimum age to do paragliding?
The minimum age to do paragliding, especially in Shimla is 12 years. Children below 12 years of age are not allowed to do the activity. Moreover, children between 12 and 18 years of age require the presence of a parent, guardian, or an adult while they paraglide.
Is December a good time for paragliding in Shimla?Yes, December is a good time for undertaking the Shimla paragliding tours because, during this month, the sky remains clear with a subtleness of winter lingering in the air.
Moreover, during mid to late December, the mountains get covered with fresh white snow, which is indeed a divine experience.
Is paragliding safe in Shimla?
With the presence of experienced professionals and guides who are always there to ensure that all safety and convenience standards are met before one takes off, paragliding is considered very safe in Shimla.
What type of clothing is required to do paragliding?
In order to do paragliding, you must have proper clothing, which includes:
- Heavy woollen clothes
- Wind-proof heavy jackets
- Thermal wear (to wear inside)
- Soft-shell jackets (wind-proof and water-resistant)
- One-piece flight suit (available for rent in a lot of places)
- Two-piece flight suit (available for rent in many places).
What are the different types (levels & time) of paragliding in Shimla?
There are three types of paragliding in Shimla:
- Short Duration: A 5 to 10-minute ride, between 09:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., 03:00 p.m. to 04:00 p.m.
- Medium Duration: A 15 to 20-minute flight, between 09:00 a.m. and 04:00 p.m.
- Long Duration: A 30-minute flight, between 09:30 a.m. and 03:30 p.m.
What is the price for paragliding in Shimla?
For paragliding, the price will differ from one point to the other. For example, at Shivpuri, the average charges are around INR 4000 per head, while on the other hand, At Waknaghat, you have to pay only INR 2500.
The prices also vary in terms of the gear you will choose, the distance you want to cover in the air, and the time you want to stay afloat.
What are the other adventure activities I can do in Shimla?
Apart from paragliding, you can enjoy a lot of other adventure activities when visiting Shimla. Some of these include:
1. Rriver Rafting at Tattapani: A haven for adventure enthusiasts, Tattapani is located around 50 kilometres from Shimla, along the banks of the Sutlej River. Tattapani is famous for one of the best river rafting experiences you will have in Shimla. From high and low currents, and some of the most spectacular bends in the river, this is one adventure activity that you must do in Shimla.
2. Trek to Jakhu Temple: Jakhu Temple is said to be one of the oldest temples in the region, located on top of the Jakhu Hill. This hill is the highest peak in Shimla, situated at an elevation of almost 2,455 metres above sea level.
The 2.5-kilometre trek to Jakhu Temple is not just adventurous, but also quite extraordinary since it offers views of the surrounding mountains and valleys and other colonial architectures in the area.
3. Camping: One of the most adventurous activities to do in Shimla is camping in one of the many camps scattered around the region. This will give tourists the chance to relax and rejuvenate amidst nature and its fine surroundings, along with a completely different holiday experience.
Some camps also require travellers to trek, after which they can settle around a great, cosy bonfire, under the starry night sky.
4. Ice Skating: When in Shimla, you must definitely try ice skating, without which your trip to this hill station will be incomplete. There are many hills in Shimla which are covered with a thick white blanket of snow all year round, making it convenient for ice skating.