Yoga in Pushkar is a highly sought-after activity for travellers. The city’s Rajputana history and architecture and its scenic beauty adds to the calming environment. The pure and spiritual ambience of this highly popular city makes it a great place for yoga, Ayurveda, and meditation practices.
Yoga in Pushkar comes in various forms. While some visitors like to indulge in drop-in Pushkar Yoga classes, others prefer immersing themselves in yogic studies by taking a long-term course. Pushkar is one of the very few cities in India which are known for offering authentic yoga sessions. Almost all yoga classes are conducted by certified yoga gurus who have years of expertise and excellence.
India is regarded as the birthplace of yoga all around the world, and Yoga in Pushkar is one of the best ways to experience this 5,000-year-old discipline. Visitors can find different kinds of yoga styles to choose from – Hatha, Ashtanga, Vinyasa, Iyengar, Bikram, and many more. Beginners and practitioners with limited mobility can also opt for personal, at-home yoga classes.
Pushkar Yoga is best experienced when the temperature in the city is cooler, though anytime is a good time to begin yoga practice in this sacred city. At Thrillophilia, we offer you a detailed list of places and resorts that offer yoga classes at highly reasonable prices.
Among the oldest cities in India, Pushkar’s location amidst the glistening sands of the Thar Desert makes it a must-visit destination. Exploring the traditional and cultural aspects of this charming city while engrossing in a spiritual and religious yoga practice makes a visit to Pushkar a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
People Also Ask About Yoga in Pushkar
What are the best yoga places in Pushkar?
1. Pushkar Meditation Temple - The only Yoga Alliance Certified school in Pushkar, Pushkar Meditation Temple offers various yoga and meditation classes. An exclusive wellness center, the place observes the Ashtanga style of yoga based on the teachings of Patanjali, a renowned sage.
The temple offers short-term yoga and meditation classes, extensive yoga teacher trainings, as well as dedicated meditation classes. Their courses focus on yoga postures, anatomy, physiology, and philosophy of yoga, yogic lifestyle disciplines, pranayama, meditation and much more.
Location: Ajmer, Pushkar Bypass, Pushkar, Rajasthan 305022, India
Price: 2-hour daily sessions starting INR 500
One week courses starting INR 28,000 with accommodation and food
Yoga Alliance Certified Teacher Training Course (3 weeks) starting INR 85,000 with accommodation and food
2. Nath Vidya - Classical Yoga School – Set amidst the cultural marvel of Pushkar, Nath Vidya Classical Yoga School operates on the grounds of the beautiful ‘The Countryside Resort’. Only a few minutes away from Pushkar Lake, the property offers the perfect ambience for peaceful yoga sessions. Guests staying here enjoy yoga training sessions as well as Kerala Ayurveda massages.
Location: The Countryside Resort, Near Pushkar Lake High Bridge, Pushkar, Rajasthan 305022, India
Price: Starting INR 3,000 per night for a room with private bathroom and yoga sessions.
3. Pushkar Yoga Garden - One of the most popular schools for practicing yoga in Pushkar, Pushkar Yoga Garden is the perfect place to learn the discipline of yoga while experiencing a true ashram life.
Equipped with necessary modern amenities, the center is founded on the core fundamentals of the yogic way of life. There are daily yoga courses focusing on hatha yoga and Ayurveda available at the center. Additionally, there are several other short and long-term courses suited to all levels of yoga practitioners.
Location: Vamdev Road, Near Green Park Resort, Nala Area, Pushkar, Rajasthan 305022, India
Price: Daily Classes starting from INR 500 per class
One Day of Yogic Life course starting INR 2,000
Introductory course (3 days|15 hours) starting INR 6,000 (without food and lodging) and INR 10,500 all-inclusive
Intermediate course (6 days|30 hours) starting INR 10,500 (without food and lodging) and INR 18,000 all-inclusive
Advanced Course (21 days) starting INR 60,000
Teacher Training Course (30 days) starting INR 90,000
4. Hari Om Ashram - A modest and authentic yoga center in the outskirts of Pushkar’s main city center, Hari Om Ashram is managed by one of the most revered yoga gurus in the country, Yogi Jaggu. Following an ashram living style, the yoga center believes in quality over quantity.
Hence, they offer 10-day intensive yoga courses that cover the significant principles and practices of Hatha Yoga, Jnana Yoga, Bhakti Yoga as well as Karma Yoga. During the course, practitioners also get to experience meditation, learn about yoga philosophy and anatomy, basics of Ayurveda, as well as an opportunity to meet with knowledgeable yogis and sages.
Location: Village Nedliya, Dang, Old Pushkar, Pushkar, Rajasthan 305022, India
Price: Starting INR 38,000 for a 10-day intensive course with room, meals, and outdoor activities
What are the different types of yoga I can learn at yoga classes in Pushkar?
The various types of yoga you can learn in Pushkar include but aren’t limited to Hatha, Ashtanga, Iyengar, Kundalini, Vinyasa, and Power Yoga (which is heavily influenced by Ashtanga). While these are the most common types of classes you will find in the city, you may also come across studios offering Bikram Yoga (Hot Yoga), Mantra Yoga, Karma Yoga, and Yin Yoga. Additionally, some schools and resorts may also provide special yoga classes such as prenatal yoga, yoga for kids, as well as yoga for practitioners with limitations.
Are there special home yoga classes in Pushkar?
Yes. Some of the yoga schools have trained and certified yoga teachers who offer home yoga classes. These trainers possess a high level of expertise in the field and are extremely professional. It is important to note that home yoga classes cost more than group yoga training at the centers.
Do the yoga classes in Pushkar have separate classes for men and women?
Yes. There are a few Pushkar Yoga schools that offer exclusive training for men and women. But, a majority of them have combined classes for men and women.
What is the average fee charged by yoga classes in Pushkar?
The average fee for a yoga class in Pushkar is about INR 1,500. However, the fee varies depending on the type of yoga and the training plan you choose. Drop-in classes may cost higher than a complete month-long yoga training.
Are there sessions or classes for yoga in Pushkar?
There are several classes as well as sessions for Yoga in Pushkar. Depending on your requirements, you can sign up for a short-term or a long-term yoga plan.
You can also opt for a personalized home yoga training session. Additionally, you can attend a proper yoga course or find a place that offers drop-in classes.
Is there any equipment provided for yoga in Pushkar?
Yes. While most yoga schools and classes may offer a yoga mat and even some yoga props such as bolsters, bands, straps, and blocks, it is always better to use your own props for ensuring hygiene.
Also, the availability and usage of yoga equipment and props depending on the type of yoga you choose to practice.
Where to practice yoga in Pushkar?
You can practice or learn yoga at the following places in Pushkar:
1. Pushkar Meditation Temple
2. Nath Vidya – Classical Yoga School
3. School of Yoga and Naturopathy
4. Pushkar Yoga Garden
5. Guru Homestay and Yoga Center
What should I wear for yoga in Pushkar?
Pushkar has a dry climate so it is always suggested to wear comfortable cotton clothes during yoga practices. If you visit the city between the months of October and March, the weather is going to be relatively cooler. Packing full-length yoga pants and warm, full-sleeves tops would be a wise choice.
What is the best time for practising yoga in Pushkar?
The best time to practice yoga is during the cooler months i.e. between October to March. Also, it is highly suggested to immerse in yoga either during sunrise or sunset. Studies have shown that practicing yoga early in the morning or around sunset has a very calming effect on the human mind, body, and soul.
Though the winter months are preferable, practicing yoga forms such as Hatha can also be very useful during the summer months.
Is there an age limit for practising yoga in Pushkar?
No. There is no age limit for practising Yoga in Pushkar. However, it is always suggested that you start your practice from an early age. This is just so you can evolve your practice as you grow older.
Though there are no age restrictions on yoga, it is always best to consult a physician before you start. For people with health and physical limitations, it is always better to know of their restrictions beforehand as yoga can be very extensive.
How is yoga different from stretching and other kinds of fitness?
Though yoga involves a lot of physical postures much like stretching and other kinds of workouts, it is so much more about balancing your mind and body with your breathing. The physical aspects of yoga, as per Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra, is only one of the eight limbs of yoga.
Yoga is different than the rest in the way that it helps you align your body movements and thoughts with your breathing patterns. It helps you take control over your breathing through pranayama, an important characteristic of yoga. When practicing yoga, you not only stretch your body but also focus on the alignment of your body and be aware of your strengths.
What are the best resorts and hotels that offer yoga classes in Pushkar?
Some of the best resorts and hotels that offer yoga classes in Pushkar are:
1. Bhanwar Singh Palace – Built with Rajasthan’s royal lineage in mind, Bhanwar Singh Palace offers marvellous architecture and a range of world-class facilities and activities. Guests at the resort can rejuvenate themselves by attending their yoga and meditation classes. Additionally, the resort also offers a swimming pool, restaurant and bar, jacuzzi and steam rooms, and spa and ayurvedic massages.
2. Lohana Village Resort – Situated within proximity of the Brahma temple and Pushkar Lake, Lohana Village Resort offers the most serene environment to immerse in yoga. With its special yoga classes and a plethora of modern amenities such as horse riding, comfortable guest rooms with wooden flooring, an in-house restaurant with Indian as well as Continental cuisine, and shuttle services, it is the best option for an optimum yoga experience.
3. Pushkar Bagh Resort – A magnificent heritage resort in the heart of Pushkar, Pushkar Bagh Resort offers the perfect setting for yoga and meditation practices. Offering 25 extravagant cottages, 15 fully-equipped tents, a health center, and other essential amenities, the resort is mainly known for its yoga and meditation services.
4. Green Heaven Resort – Located in a quaint corner of the vibrant city of Pushkar, this cosy and lavish resort offers standard and deluxe rooms with a wide array of contemporary facilities. Some of the amenities offered by the resort include a garden restaurant, 24-hour room service, and bike and car rentals. The resort also has a splendid garden which is perfect for a stroll or some yoga practice. Ask the staff for their special yoga classes during your stay.
5. Pushkar Yoga Garden – Known as one of the most prominent yoga retreat centers in Pushkar, Pushkar Yoga Garden offers a varied range of yoga and Ayurveda classes. Founded on the principles of yoga’s ashram living, the retreat center offers daily yoga classes as well as intensive yoga courses for beginner, intermediate as well as advanced level. The place also offers a special ‘one day of yogic life’ course which is perfect for those wanting to test the waters before making a long-term commitment.
Devoted to lord Vaikuntha Venkatesh, the new Rangji temple is amongst the most ancient temples in all of Pushkar. The temple is acknowledged for its mesmerizing architectural design including the high rising Gopuram, a composition which is common amongst several South Indian temples followed by an enormous entrance. The temple, through its layout also carries the essence of Mughal architecture as well. Bowing inside the temple, we find it's four corners embedded with Garuda, signifying the presence of Vaikuntha Venkatesh. Among the temple exists sections of other temples, specifically eight in number, that are dedicated to various gods including Goddess Laxmi and Lord Krishna among others.The presence of a priest at the temple is always mandatory and they act as a caretaker of the new Rangji temple. Visitors can also indulge in prayers and 'puja' sessions at the temple which is carried out every day. The serene atmosphere and delightful architecture of the temple have made it one of the most visited places among tourists in the holy town of Pushkar. The temple is particularly crowded with tourists during the Pushkar fair, a holy celebration that is celebrated every year during the Kartik period. All in all, devotees and tourists who find delight in architectural elegance should definitely pay a visit to the charming New Rangji temple. It is family-friendly and takes more than an hour to explore it completely which makes it a promising destination for weekend getaways with family and friends. There are also various eateries and snack shops near the temple place for visitors to enjoy a good meal.
Located in the quaint town of Pushkar in Ajmer district of Rajasthan, the Varaha Temple is dedicated to one of Lord Vishnu’s most famous incarnations. Lord Varaha is worshipped in the form of a boar deity that presides over this incredible temple. Varaha Temple’s location in Pushkar is of considerable significance too. The town is incredibly holy for both Hindus and Sikhs. As a result, thousands of devotees from across the country visit the Varaha Temple to offer their prayers to the Holy Lord every year.The story behind the presiding deity Lord Varaha is narrated by priests of the temple and locals alike. When the demon Hiranyaksh tried to sink the earth beneath the water as a part of his shenanigans to irk the gods, Lord Vishnu incarnated as a wild boar and saved the earth on its horns. He fought with the evil Hiranyaksha for thousands of years and later brought the earth out of the cosmic ocean, thereby restoring peace and prosperity as it were. As a saviour of the world, Lord Varaha is worshipped by those desiring wealth and wanting to escape the unforgiving cycle of life and death.This temple is often thought to be one of its kind since there are no other notable or significantly large temples of the Varaha form of Lord Vishnu anywhere else in this world. You may visit this place for a truly insightful experience of the ancient Hindu scriptures of Vishnu Purana and Dashavatara Katha.
Known as the largest royal place of residence in all of Pushkar, Man Mahal is the place to be if you are looking to go back in time and revisit history. Located a short walk away from the Sarovar Lake, it offers amazing views of the town, in addition to mesmerising sunrises and sunsets. The insides of Man Mahal are also home to a temple, which is of great religious significance. The interiors of Man Mahal boast of the traditional and intricate designs of Rajasthan’s handiwork. Upon visiting Man Mahal, one can get a clear view of not just the lake, but also of all the temples which surround it. Built by Raja Man Singh I of Amber, Man Mahal was used as a retreat not just for Man Singh, but also for his guests when they used to visit Pushkar. Now turned into a retreat for visitors, and most commonly known as the RTDC Hotel Sarovar Pushkar, Man Mahal is one of the few places in this town which not only oozes of the traditional Rajasthani culture, but also offers people a world-class stay. This royal guest house-turned- luxurious heritage hotel is presently run by the Rajasthan Tourism Development Corporation. Furthermore, the hotel is known for organising many enjoyable activities for its guests, including camel and jeep safaris, camping arrangements, and more. In addition to top-notch amenities and elegant accommodation, you can also enjoy a sumptuous royal-style dining here. Still retaining the old-world charm, Man Mahal is the best place to be if you wish to take a glimpse into the eras that have gone by.