About Venna Lake
Venna Lake not only happens to be one of the most beautiful and scenic lakes in Mahabaleshwar, but it also happens to serve a lot of other purposes as well. It is the main source of water for the nearby township. It is considered to be one of the most loved attractions of Mahabaleshwar. The place is jam-packed with lush greenery and scenic picturesque beauty. Shri Appasahed Maharaj who was once the ruler of Satara and happens to be a descendant of the famous Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, built the Lake.
Venna Lake is constructed artificially over an area of 28 acres. The periphery of the lake is about 7-8 km long. The lake was built in the initial days to provide the nearby township with a source of water and cater to their day-to-day needs. This lake is not only famous among tourists but it is also famous among pilgrims. About one-third of the lake is meant for pilgrimage.
The lake offers amazing boating facilities and horse rides to the tourists. Venna Lake has a lot to offer to nature lovers as well. The lake is surrounded by lush green Chhatrapati Pratapsinh gardens. If you want to spend your evening in a peaceful setting of the adjacent Chhatrapati Pratapsinh garden, you can come to this place and take part in a number of activities as well as relish the local food in more than a few nearby food joints.
How to Reach Venna Lake
- By Air: The nearest airport to Venna Lake, Mahabaleshwar is Pune International Airport. The airport is situated at a distance of 76 Km from the lake. You can easily hire a cab to take you to the Venna Lake after landing at the airport.
- By Bus: The nearest bus stand to the Venna Lake is the ST bus stand of Mahabaleshwar. The bus stand is just about 2 km from the lake. All major nearby cities have direct bus service to this place. After reaching the bus stand, you can hire a cab or an auto-rickshaw for the last mile travel.
- By Road: Venna Lake has well-connected roads to all the major cities of Maharashtra. Most of the Mumbaikars head out on a road trip to Mahabaleshwar and then visit the lake, which is just at a distance of 2 km from the main market. You will fall in love with the curvy hilly roads and picturesque beauty all around.
Best Time to Visit Venna Lake
The best time to visit Venna Lake is in between the month of March and June. The weather remains pleasant during this period. However, it becomes difficult for tourists to come over here after June. Mahabaleshwar receives very heavy rainfall from the month of July to the month of September and tourism completely comes to a hold.
If you want to make the most of the Venna Lake come here with your family members in the month of May and relish in all the activities present at the lake. Countless tourists long to go for boating in Venna Lake and it is possible only in between May and June.
What Not to Miss at Venna Lake
Places to visit around Venna Lake
1. Connaught Peak, Mahabaleshwar- This is the second-highest peak in Mahabaleshwar and it is widely known for its mesmerizing scenic beauty. Tourists come to this place to witness the enchanting sunrise and sunset. This peak has been named as Connaught place after the Duke of Connaught. Connaught has a wide range of activities for tourists coming on a weekend getaway.
2. Lodwick Point- This amazing place near the Venna Lake was called as Sidney point. The place is enclosed in the middle of two deep ravines and gives a sight of the tapered view of the valley. This place offers amazing views of the Pratapgad for and Elphinstone Point. This place is not only known for its scenic beauty, but it is also known for its amazing adventure activities like forest tours, trekking, and photography.
3. Wilson Point- The Wilson Point is also known as the sunrise point. Tourists come to this place to witness the enthralling sunrise in the morning and be tranquillized in the wide stretched views of the mountain ranges. You should get up early in the morning, come to this amazing place, and sight the mighty Sahyadri Mountains in their full glamour from any of the specially constructed watchtowers.
Other Essential Information About Venna Lake
- Location: The Venna Lake is located at Satara, Mahabaleshwar, Maharashtra. The lake is just about 2 km from the main market of Mahabaleshwar.
- Price: There is no entry fee for tourists however; tourists need to pay for other activities in the lake. If you wish to go for boating, you need to pay INR 250 for rowboats and INR 440 for pedal boat.
- Timing: The lake is open for public from 7:00 AM in the morning to 7:00 PM in the evening. Boating in the lake is allowed until sunset and the best time for boating in the lake is around 4:00 PM in the late afternoon.
Boating at Venna Lake
Venna Lake is widely known for its amazing boating facilities. There are various kinds of boating available at the lake for tourists. You can choose to spend time boating in some of the rowboats as well as paddle boats. For boating in rowboats, you need to pay INR 250 for half an hour and a single row boat can accommodate 7 people.
If you want to spend one-hour boating in the serene environment, you need to pay INR 500. You can also choose to paddle boats over rowboats for boating. For boating in peddle boats, you need to pay INR 440 and the bow can accommodate 6 people at a single time.
Places to Eat around Venna Lake
1. Cream Corner- The cream corner is one of the most loved fast food destinations near the Venna Lake. Cream corner offers a wide range of menu for tourists like strawberries with cream, wraps, noodles and whatnot. The food offered in the restaurant is just mouthwatering and delicious.
2. Hirkani Garden Restaurant- The Hirkani Garden Restaurant happens to be one of the most recommended places to dine out near Venna Lake. This is just because of its amazing ambience and great quality food. The place offers amazing Maharashtrian and North Indian food. It also happens to be one of the oldest food joints in Mahabaleshwar serving unique recipes.
3. The Grapevine Restaurant- If you want to have some of the well-curated international cuisines on your plate then this is the place. The Grapevine Restaurant has been offering some of the amazing Mediterranean-style lamb burgers. The restaurants give you a long list of wine to choose from. Most of the tourists love the ambiance of the place and the quality of service. You can ask the chef to recommend something from the menu based on your taste of food.
Travellers' Tip before visiting Venna Lake
1. Carry all the valid identity proofs with you.
2. Carry water bottles and sunscreen lotions with you as you would be spending long hours under the sun.
3. Do not litter inside the lake.
4. The rush hour for boating in the Venna Lake is 4:00 PM.
5. Boating is available until sunset. Do not extend the time of boating beyond the sunset, as things can get worse out of a little negligence.
6. Do not overload the boat more than its capacity.
7. If you do not know how to row a boat, it would be better to go for paddle boats.
8. Visit this place in between the month of May and June.
9. Do not visit this place in the rainy season as it receives very heavy rainfall.