Basilica of St.John Lateran is a Catholic cathedral church located on the outskirts of Rome, Italy. It is known to be the world's most ancient church, constructed during the 4th century. The main attraction of this church is its incredible building and lavish interior, which fascinates the attraction of visitors traveling to Rome.
Built during the early 4th century, the Basilica of St. John Lateran or the Lateran Basilica is an ancient roman church in Rome, Italy. It is considered to be Rome's oldest Basilica making it an important site to visit. This massive, towering facade features 15 statues of John the Baptist, Christ, John the Evangelist, and others, marking their presence here. Standing at an elevation of 140 m from the ground level, the church promises a paranormal sunset and sunrise view from the top.
This magnificent piece of art was constructed by some famous architects, namely Alessandro Galilei and Giovanni di Stefano. Being one of the finest examples of Neoclassical, Early Christian, and Baroque architecture, it had evolved as a prime tourist destination among visitors traveling to Rome. The church houses the burials of Pope Leo XIII, Pope Clement XII, Teresa of the Andes, and others. Since its construction, the building has seen many earthquakes, yet it survived, which increased its significance in the city.
Also Checkout: Churches in Rome
• The Basilica of St. John Lateran was constructed in the 4th century, making it one of the most ancient structures in Rome, Italy.
• The Basilica of St. John Lateran is famously known as Saint John Lateran, the Lateran Basilica, or Papal Archbasilica of Saint John Lateran.
• This church is believed to be the highest and oldest ranking of all four papal basilicas, along with one of the seven major Pilgrim Churches of Rome.
• It is known as the oldest church in the western world.
• The church's building was damaged badly during the 14th century. It was reconstructed later in the 16th century.
• It is constructed in the Cathedral style of architecture, making it a prime example of the Cathedral architectural style.
• The Basilica of St.John Lateran stands at a massive height of 460 feet and 240 feet in width.
• Since its construction, the church has faced several natural calamities, including earthquakes, drought, and fires. However, it managed to stand strong even after all the hardships.