Camping in Wayanad is one of the best ways to get away from your busy city life and spend a few days amidst an untouched natural environment. Moreover, most of the camping sites in Wayanad are situated on beautiful cliffs of jungle areas, which provide a calm and peaceful environment, surrounded by the chirping of birds and harmless wild creatures. These sites are perfect to admire the glittering starry nights and enjoy the company of alike strangers from around the world. Also, if you love bonfires and group activities, no place else is better for you to take a break!
Most of the Wayanad Camping sites are situated near waterfalls or water bodies and also allow ample trekking and hiking activities. Many of the camping sites like Wonder Mist Tents and Magic Hills Camping even offer their guests guided tours and treks to further add to their camping experience.
These sites also serve you with freshly prepared local cuisines to help you soak in the true essence of Kerala. The outdoor spaces at the campsites Tropical Escapade and Peak Trekies also allow the guests to indulge in outdoor games and get to know their fellow campers. If all you need is a break from the hustle-bustle of the cities and wish to breathe in the fresh air, pack your bags and head to these beautiful camping sites.
People Also Ask About Camping in Wayanad
Which are some of the best campsites for a night camping in Wayanad?
1.Eagle’s Nest Adventure: Located in Sulthan Batherry region of Wayanad, the Eagle’s Nest Adventure is one of the best sites for Wayanad camping, especially at night. In addition to basic amenities, the campsite also has common seating and dining spaces, and offers unprecedented views of the sunrise and sunset.
2.Wonder Mist Tents: Situated in Elimbileri, the Wonder Mist Tents are some of the best for camping in Wayanad, owing to its unique location, which is in the middle of a thick forest. On your camping adventure here, you can enjoy a wide array of activities, such as bonfires, guided treks and tours, jungle exploration, and more.
3.Peak Trekkies Camping: Located near the Cheengery Hills Tiger Cave, this campsite is one of the best in the region, where you can soak in views of the verdant green valleys, while also indulging in thrilling activities like bonfires and barbecues, trekking and others. On your night camping here, you can also get a chance to witness the rising sun clearing the misty clouds within the trails.
4.Tropical Escapade: This campsite is located near the Kanthanpara Waterfalls, and is amongst the most famous in Wayanad. Complete with free wifi, private bathrooms, outdoor pool and other modern amenities, campers can also enjoy hiking, nature walks and other activities here.Do Checkout: Wayanad Tour Packages
Which are the best sites for camping in Wayanad?1. Magic Hills Camping: This Wayanad camping site offers a calm and peaceful getaway into the depths of lush green nature. The site is situated very close to the forest area and experiences frequent visits from adorable squirrels and exotic birds, early in the morning. There is also a beautiful waterfall situated in the near vicinity of the site and allows trekking through some beautiful trails. The bonfires and pleasant music amidst the cool forest breeze would surely make you fall in love with this place.
Location: Camping No 12/128 - Old Vythri, Vythri, Wayanad, Kerala
Price: INR 2350/night
Amenities: Shared bathrooms, smoking area, room service, power backup
2. Tropical Escapade: Situated in the near vicinity of Kanthanpara Waterfalls, this camping site features free WiFi as well as private bathrooms. This beautiful abode also features a small outdoor pool and serves delicious food. This site for camping in Wayanad also offers various hiking opportunities in its near surroundings. The site is surrounded by tall palm trees and a lush green landscape to help you take a break from your hectic city life. There is also a provision for a caretaker at the site during the day who will help make your camping experience even more enjoyable.
Location: Maankuzhi, Meppadi, Vythiri, Wayanad
Price: INR 2820/night
Amenities: Kitchenette, Parking area, bonfire, room service
3. PeakTrekies Camping: Situated at a beautiful location, this camping site provides an amazing view of the lush green valley right up front. It also allows its guests to enjoy barbeque and bonfire to make their camping trip even more enjoyable. If you really wish to enjoy a trek all the way to the top of Cheengeri Hills Peak and camp through the night, this place is surely the perfect one for you. The views from the top of the peak, early in the morning, would surely leave you mesmerized. If you are lucky enough, you may also get to adore a cloud blanket over the beautiful valley in front of the camping site.
Location: Cheengery Hills Tiger cave, Ambalavayal, Wayanad
Price: INR 2820/night
Amenities: Parking Area, Bathroom, meals provision, housekeeping
4. Blue Shack- A Stay in Nature: This beautiful camping site is situated amidst untouched nature and is a perfect getaway for nature lovers. The site also has a chef who will satisfy your hunger pangs and serve you with lip-smacking food. The tented accommodation provided at the site is also quite comfortable and cozy.
Location: 63/123, Meppadi road, Puthoor Vayal, Kalpetta, Wayanad
Price: INR 3290/night
Amenities: Outdoor Sports, Bonfire Facility, Caretaker, Shared Restrooms
5. Wonder Mist Tents: This unique camping site is situated right in the middle of humongous trees and allows you to set up your tent at a height from the ground, allowing you an adventurous camping experience. The place also serves you with complimentary breakfast to boost you with energy to set on to your jungle excursions. If you are more of an adventure lover and in love with the wildlife, staying at this place would surely satisfy your cravings.
Location: Elimbileri, Chulukka Road, Meppadi PO
Price: INR 1504/night
Amenities: Bonfire, guided Tours and Treks, Room Service, Parking Space
6. Green Ray: Situated close to Kanthanpara Waterfalls, this amazing camping site is situated well within the naturally landscaped area. The place features luxurious tents and also has a small water body in its near vicinity, which is home to a number of beautiful birds. The common gathering space is perfect for organizing group activities and setting up bonfires. Guests also get to enjoy freshly prepared food in the common area.
Location: Tent No. 455/66-Thanjilod, Via Soojipara Waterfalls, Meppadi P.O, Kerala
Price: INR 2820/night
Amenities: Air Purifier, Power Backup, Free Parking, Bathroom
7. Grassroots Wayanad: One of the most luxurious tented accommodations in Wayanad, this place features spacious tents with comfortable beds and all the modern amenities. This is one of the best Wayanad camping spots for families and also features a fully-fledged restaurant along with a decent seating area. The tents also feature outdoor seating spaces, perfect for sipping coffee, while admiring the beautiful natural views. The property also has ample outdoor spaces for the guests to indulge in outdoor sports and enjoy their getaway.
Location: Grassroots, Koilery Kunnu via Pinangode Pozhuthana, Kalpetta, Kerala
Price: INR 4371/night
Amenities: Dining area, luggage storage, bonfire, tours & treks, outdoor sports
8. Eagle’s Nest Adventure: This place is known to provide the most unique camping experience in Wayanad. It has elevated camping platforms for the guests to enjoy the amazing views. It also has common seating and dining space, made in the traditional wooden architecture of Kerala. The camping site is situated on the edge of a cliff, allowing the guests to soak in some of the most beautiful views of the lush green valley.
Location: Eagle's Nest Adventures, Nenmeni, Sulthan Batherry, Wayanad, Kerala
Price: INR 5640/night
Amenities: Caretaker, luggage storage, public restrooms, housekeeping, umbrellas
Also Checkout: Wayanad Honeymoon Packages
What is the best time to visit Wayanad for Camping?
The best time for camping in Wayanad hills is between the months of October and May. This is when Wayanad is at its coolest and the temperature is comforting for all kinds of outdoor activities. While several people go to Wayanad in other months of the year too, rain could be a problem if you are planning to set your tent outdoors.
Why Wayanad is so famous for camping?
Wayanad is a paradise. Set in the laps of the picturesque Western Ghats, Wayanad is a place that offers the best of nature and wildlife. So close to the city of Bangalore and yet a completely different kind of place - Wayanad has been welcoming outdoor lovers all-round the year.
It’s the natural beauty, the opportunity of so many adventure experiences and the very calmness of the hills that make Wayanad a perfect place for camping.
Is monsoon a good time for camping in Wayanad?
Yes, the monsoon season from June to September is considered to be one of the best times for camping in Wayanad. Monsoon not only enriches the lush green landscape but also makes its splendid scenery even more refined. Moreover, the temperatures during this time are quite pleasant and the frequent showers make the Wayanad camping experience even more adventurous and enjoyable.
Checkout: Bangalore to Wayanad Package
What all should I carry while visiting Wayanad for camping?When on a Wayanad camping trip, you should be carrying:
- A bag that would be easy to carry on treks
- Water bottle
- Torch – it’s a must
- Tents (you can also rent one at Wayanad)
- Sleeping bag
- Raincoats (if you are visiting Wayanad in the monsoons)
- Small sling bag/shoulder bag
- Jeans / cotton pants / tights (full length)
- Sun cap / scarf
- Hiking shoes
- Rain proof shoes (wet shoes are discomforting)
- Warm jacket – mornings in Wayanad are cold, regardless of the time of the year
- Vomit bags – hope you won’t need to use them
- Personal medicines
- Mosquito repellants
What is the cost of camping in Wayanad?
Tented accommodation for overnight camps come to around INR 12,500. However, there are a lot of homestays that offer cheaper camping opportunities. It is necessary that you enquire beforehand. Also, camping during the monsoons is cheaper than in the peak of tourist season that extends between the months of December and February.
What all activities will we do during camping in Wayanad?There are dedicated guides who ensure that you trip will be exciting and you will have a lot of memories to take back. The activities organized around camping in Wayanad include:
- Cave hunting
- Waterfall explorations
- Plantation walks
- Night trails / treks
- Star gazing
Where is Wayanad located? How can I reach Wayanad?
Situated in Kerala, Wayanad is mainly known for its luxuriant forested lands enriched with misty valleys.
By air: The nearest airport to reach Wayanad is the Calicut International Airport which is located around 65 km away. After landing, one can easily find taxis and cars that will take them directly to the Wayanad district.
By road: If you are travelling by road, you can get access to the place through many roads from different parts of Kerala as well as Karnataka. Visitors can easily board KSRTC buses from cities like Bangalore, Mysore, Cochin and many other that will directly lead you to your destined place.
By train: As per the information, the Wayanad district is not directly connected by the railway service so the visitors and the travelers can take a train till Kozhikode and after reaching can hire taxis and cars to travel to Wayanad.
You May Also Like: Wayanad Tour Package for 2 Days
One of the most spellbinding places to visit in Wayanad, Banasura Sagar Dam is a picturesque tourist hotspot. Known for being India’s largest earthen dam, it boasts of extensive natural beauty with beautiful flora and fauna, majestic hills and mesmerising waterfalls. The Banasura Sagar is a photographer’s delight and offers the most beautiful views from the top of the hill.It is also famous among adventure enthusiasts who look forward to thrilling activities like boating, trekking, horse racing and camel rides. For the avid trekkers, Banasura hill peak is hailed as one of the most challenging treks. Along with that Banasura Hill Resort adds to the charm of this place that is known as the only ‘earthen’ resort in the country.Location: Banasura Sagar Dam, Padinjarathara, KeralaBest Time to visit: November to May offers the most ideal time to visit Banasura Sagar DamEntry fee: INR 10/ USD 0.15 per personTimings: The opening timings are from 9:00 am to 5:00 pmDistance from Wayanad: It is just 2.3 kilometres away from the bus station.
Located in the middle of Kabini river, Kuruva Island is a natural paradise that is replete with diverse flora and fauna in the most beautiful surroundings. It is blessed with evergreen forests all around that makes it a mesmerising picnic spot away from all pollution and noise of the city.One of the most exciting things about Kuruva Island for tourists is their famous boat rides on bamboo rafts. Trekkers also visit Kuruva Island to explore the pristine environment and witness the most exotic species of plants, animals and birds here. The enthralling beauty of this island attracts many people who wish to escape the hustle and bustle of their lives and surround themselves in the serenity of nature.Location: Kuruvadweep, KeralaBest Time to visit: Kuruva Island could be visited from October to MayEntry fee: INR 80/ USD 1.23 for Indians and INR 150/USD 2.3 for foreignersTimings: The visiting hours are from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm. Mondays are holidayDistance from Wayanad: It is located 36 kilometres away.