There are countless things to do in Denpasar, the capital city of Bali. Also known as the hub of shopping, it’s the perfect place for trying recreational activities, soaking in the sunshine from the beautiful mountainside, going for a stroll near the pristine beaches, and revitalizing your whole body via exotic spa treatment.
What to do in Denpasar shouldn’t even be a question because there is just too much to explore in this vibrant destination. Buy some beautiful trinkets at the popular Pasar Badung market, swim with Sharks at the Jin Tukkad Pangawa, and get the ultimate Balinese massage experience at the Maya Sanur Resort and Spa. You can also enjoy scuba diving at the famous Neptune Scuba Diving institute, and admire the fingerprint art at the Fingerprint Painting Museum.
If that’s not enough, then indulge in some soap carving lessons at Merta Rauh. The price for the workshops is quite reasonable and you get to carve your own souvenirs for your friends and family. You can also try Jetovator Rides at the Sanur Beach - the one experience adventure lovers shouldn’t miss. Flying above the water with the help of special equipment will give you a rush you will never forget.
Get up close and personal with different breeds of turtles at Turtle Conservation and Education Center. Moreover, you can also adopt baby sea turtles, which is a part of a rehabilitation program at the centre. There is just no limit to the fun and adventure you can have in Denpasar.
Places to Visit and Things to Do in Denpasar
People Also Ask About Denpasar Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Denpasar?
The best things to do in Denpasar are-
- Enjoy Ayung River Rafting – River rafting in the Ayung River is a whole other level of adventure! Paddling your way through the class II and III rapids for more than two hours will give you the rush you crave for during your regular days.
Location: Denpasar, Indonesia (various locations)
Morning hours - 7.30 AM to 9.30 AM
Afternoon hours – 11.30 AM to 1.30 PM
Around INR 2,000 per adult
Around INR 1,500 per child
- Experience swimming with Sharks –One of the best things to do in Denpasar is getting up close with Bali Sharks! This sport is definitely not for the weak hearted! In order to enjoy this adrenaline-releasing activity, you will be required you to swim with a tour operator, who will then train you and instruct you on how to snorkel. Only after the safety instruction will you dive into the waters to meet the Sharks.
Location: Jln Tukad Punggawa, Serangan, Denpasar 80229, Indonesia
Timing: Monday to Sunday –8 AM – 4.30 PM
INR 7,000 per adult (approx.)
INR 6,000 per child (approx.)
- Visit Bajirao Sindhi Monument –Locally referred to as ‘Puputan Renon,’ this monument is shaped like a Balinese Hindu priest’s praying Bell. Centred in the middle of the Renon Square, Bajirao Sindhi is known for its unique architecture and pure ambiance. It houses the enriching Balinese history in the form of diagrams and dioramas.
Location: Jalan Raya Puputan No.142, Renon, Denpasar, Bali 80234, Indonesia.
Monday to Saturday – 8 AM to 6 PM
Sunday –10 AM to 6 PM
INR 250 per adult
INR 125 per child
- Shop at Pasar Badung Market – It’s the largest traditional market in Denpasar. The recently refurbished market features a variety of fresh and non-perishable goods . It is comparatively cheaper than other markets in Denpasar. Bargaining is an important part of the daily transactions of this market, so go ahead and shop your heart out!
Location: Jalan Sulawesi No.1, Dauh Puri Kangin, Denpasar, Bali 80233, Indonesia.
Timings: Daily – 5 AM to 5 PM
Price: Depends on the shops.
- Learn soap carving at Merta Rauh Bali Carving Lessons – When in Denpasar, spend some time learning the intricate art of soap carving. From simple designs to abstract art to anything you want, the experts are willing to teach you this unique carving holistically. All you have to do is be interested.
Location: Jln. Tukad Bilok | Gang Tukad Anyar No 10, Sanur, Denpasar 80227, Indonesia.
Timings: Daily –7.30 AM to 6 PM
Price: Around INR 1500
- Visit Werdhi Budaya Art Centre – One of the most famous places for cultural and art events in the city, Werdhi Budaya Art Centre aims to preserve and protect the rich artistic and traditional history of Bali. It is also the venue for the highly popular Bali Arts Festival.
Location: Jl. Nusa Indah, Abian Kapas, Denpasar 80235, Indonesia.
Timings: Daily – 7.30 AM to 3.30 PM
Price: INR 28 per adult
- Enjoy at Fingerprint Painting Museum – One of the most unique things to do in Denpasar, this museum showcases artwork that is painted only by fingertips. This art is known as Fingerprint Brushing. The visitors can also take part in courses on painting, dance, and music.
Location: Jl. Hayam Wuruk, Panjer, Denpasar Sel., Kota Denpasar, Bali 80239.
Timings: Monday to Saturday –8 AM to 4 PM
Price: INR 150 per person
- Visit Cultural Village Kertalangu –This village spreads across 80-hectare and offers stunning views of gardens, rice fields and residential estates. You can stop by this village to take in the breath of fresh air in the middle of a busy day.
Location: Jl. By Pass Ngurah Rai No.88, Kesiman Kertalangu, Denpasar Tim., Kota Denpasar, Bali 80237.
Timings: Daily – 8 AM to 10 PM
Price: INR 50 per adult
- Visit Turtle Conservation and Education Center – One of the biggest attractions in Denpasar, the Turtle Conservation and Education Center is home to various breeds of turtles. The turtles of all shapes and sizes are rescued and rehabilitated in this centre.
Location: Behind Bali Dolphins, Serangan, Denpasar 80229, Indonesia.
Timings: Thursday to Tuesday – 9 AM to 4.30 PM (Closed on Wednesdays)
Price: No entry fee but one can make donations.
- Explore Loket Mangrove Trail Tahura Ngurah Rai –This place is perfect for nature as well as adventure lovers. Natural mangroves surrounded by a plethora of flora, fauna, and boat rides to soak in its beautiful vibes—this is Loket Mangrove Trail for you.
Location: Pemogan, Denpasar Selatan, Denpasar City, Bali 80361, Indonesia.
Timings: Daily – 8 AM to 6 PM
Price: Around INR 1,000 per adult
What is Denpasar known for?
There are many things to do in Denpasar, starting from sightseeing, adopting a turtle, swimming with Sharks to trekking to incredible hillside, shopping, and attending vibrant art and culture festivals. If you are not looking to do the usual things in this city, you can attend the workshop to learn the delicate art of soap carving. There are also a few incredible beaches to visit, one of them being the pristine Sanur Beach. To awaken your spiritual side, you can visit the Jagatnatha Temple. Pasar Badung Market is the perfect place to splurge on shopping. Also, do not forget to go for a spa therapy during your time in Denpasar.
What is there to do in Denpasar at night?
Some of the things to do in Denpasar at night are-
- Visit Kereneng Night Market – Locally known as Pasar Kereneng, this is an extremely popular market in Denpasar. You can see vendors selling fresh fruits and vegetables, batiks, utensils, farming tools, and other accessories. By night, the market is vibrant with colours and thriving food scenes.
- Arena Pub and Restaurant – A lavish dinner with beautiful décor, collection of old wines, live music and other performances at an incredible restaurant set in the heart of Denpasar—this is Arena Pub and Restaurant for you.
- Kumbasari Night Market –This market opens after sunsets and thus, it never sleeps. From fresh fruits and vegetables, meat, poultry and groceries to local and international cuisines, one can find everything here.
What is the best time to visit Denpasar?
The temperature in Denpasar is pretty much the same all through the year. It is cooler in the mountainside and little humid near the sea. There are two seasons, namely, the dry and wet season. The dry season falls between April and October, and thus, is the best time to visit Denpasar.
How much time is required to explore Denpasar?
About a week is a good time to explore Denpasar. One can easily cover the main attractions to visit and the best things to do in Denpasar. From visiting famous temples, shrines and monuments to shopping the locally-made bags, clothes, and jewellery and finding peace amid the natural beauty of the misty mountains, Denpasar has a lot to offer its visitors.
Which are the famous malls to visit in Denpasar?
Some of the famous malls to visit in Denpasar are-
- Level 21 Mall Denpasar –A great mall for shopping and food hopping, Level 21 is one of the most visited malls in Denpasar. There are also numerous bars and pubs for late-night entertainment.
- Plaza Renon – This is one of the most modern malls in the city that has both national and international showrooms ranging from fashion, food, bath and body products, jewellery, shoes, and other popular accessories. One can also go to the cinema with his or her family in the Plaza Renon.
- Trans Studio Mall Bali – Visit this mall for a complete shopping and entertainment experience. The space has stores ranging from Athena Jewellery, Baskin Robbins, Samsung, and Polo, amongst many others.
- Kiddy Land – Even though the first impression of this mall will seem like it’s only for kids but there is something for everyone. From exploring Aladdin’s caves to buying great collection of toys, even adults turn into kids for a day in Kiddy Land.
Which are the best places to try local food in Denpasar?
Some of the best places to try local food in Denpasar are-
- Warung Wardani Denpasar – The food menu at this Balinese restaurant is quite popular for Balinese Mixed Rice, Chicken Soto, Beef Soto, and Gado- Gado.
- Warung Mak Beng –Located at Sanur Beach, this is one restaurant that you must visit. Fried sea fish, steamed rice, and vegetable soup filled with fish head are some of the popular local dishes to have in this popular restaurant.
- Ayam Betutu Gilimanuk Restaurant – A typical Balinese culinary menu makes this place one of the top places to try local food in Denpasar. The place is quite popular for its titular meat dish.
What are the best adventure activities in Denpasar?
The best adventure activities in Denpasar are-
- Neptune Scuba Diving – One of the most-advanced scuba diving centres in the city, Neptune Scuba Diving provides training for safe diving, snorkelling and PADI lessons. The centre also provides certificate courses for open diving.
- Bali Trekking Exploration –Perhaps the most popular trekking organization, this one should be your first choice, in case you are looking for outside help. The organization arranges various tours in Bali, including places like Abang Mountains, Mount Batur, Agung Volcano, and various waterfalls, temples, rice fields.
- Bali Morning Trekking Tour – One of the best things to do in Denpasar is to witness its sunrise and sunset. Take a Bali Morning Trekking Tour to find the best places for sunset and sunrise. You just can’t afford to miss this one.
- Visit Atlantis Bali Diving –Discover the most spectacular marine adventure with Atlantis Bali Diving. The center is certainly one of the best diving organizations in Bali. It is a 5-star PADI Certified Instructor Development center.
- Enjoy Jetovator Rides in Denpasar – If you don’t exactly know what to do in Denpasar, go out for a Jetovator Ride in Denpasar and feel the adrenaline rushing through your body. Fly high above water via a jet-powered bike and feel the thrill of a lifetime.
Which are some of the most romantic things to do in Denpasar for couples?
The most romantic things to do in Denpasar are-
- Enjoy at Gili Getaway – The fastest boat service at Gili Getaway takes people across the island for special a rendezvous or getaway. Once you are on-board, you will be provided with snacks, towels, and cold drinks to rejuvenate yourselves as you settle on the boat, waiting for your next enthralling adventure. You and your partner shall have a great time at the Getaway.
- Visit Cemara Beach –This beach is connected with Sanur beach and thus, is quite popular among the visitors. The coastline is protected by reefs and the water here is quite serene to look at. One can often see people walking, cycling, jogging, or simply strolling on the shores. You can often witness starfish near the shore as well.
- Spend the evening at Serangan Island –Tucked away in a beautiful coastal stretch, Serangan Island is the perfect romantic getaway. Its uncrowded white-sand beach will make you fall in love with your partner even more. The island is also home to sea turtles and offers water sports such as surfing, parasailing and Jetovator rides.
- Relaxing Couple Spa at Bali Orchid Spa –If you are in Bali with your romantic partner, then it is highly recommended to get a rejuvenating spa. Bali Orchid Spa is one of the best places to revitalize your body and senses with your other half. Opt for a couple spa and you might just get a special discount!
Which are the places to get rejuvenated with spas in Denpasar?
The top places to get a spa in Denpasar are-
- Puri Santrian– A luxurious spa set in the heart of Denpasar, Puri Santrian is more like a spa wellness that includes various body rituals to revitalize your body and soul. The spa also provides you with the various Thai and Indian Ayurvedic treatments by the poolside.
- Hyatt Regency Bali – This one needs no introduction for Hyatt Regency already is a well-known name. You can choose your favourite amongst various types of spa treatments available at the hotel.
- Maya Sanur Resort and Spa - The décor of the spa rooms and the aroma surrounding them will calm you down instantly. Come here to experience the Balinese style spa treatment.
Is Denpasar safe for tourists?
Denpasar is quite safe for tourists. In fact, the city has been ranked 83rd on the list of the safest places to visit in the world. There are hardly any crimes or violence in Denpasar. However, it is recommended to be very aware of yourself and your surroundings when travelling the city, especially if you are a solo traveller.
Any things/tips to know before travelling to Denpasar?
Here are a few things to remember before travelling to Denpasar –
- There is always rush hour going on in the city, probably because of the yearly influx of tourists. So, plan your travel accordingly, especially when catching flights.
-It should go without saying but, do not drink the tap water of Denpasar. It is considered to be highly polluted. Carry your own water bottles during your travels.
-Balinese take their culture very seriously. So, do not disrespect their Gods or their way of life. Avoid breaking the rules before entering their places of worship.
-Do not be afraid to bargain while purchasing items from local vendors and street shops