About Harder Kulm
How to Reach Harder Kulm
Harder Kulm is connected to the Interlaken Airport by:
- Direct Bus Line(104)
- Taxi, which is expensive but is less time consuming as well
Best Time to Visit Harder Kulm
The best time to visit Interlaken’s local mountain would be June to August when the temperatures are slightly warm. As for the best time of the day, evenings are ideal to capture the beauty of Harder Kulm as it offers spectacular views of the sunset behind the magnificent Alps
What Not to Miss at Harder Kulm
Here are some of the best things to do at Harder Kulm:
If you have the adventurous streak in you, then Halder Kulm opens many trails for hiking. This mountain trail is usually the starting point for many trekking/hiking trails to the Swiss Alps. Of the many, there is the route along the Harder ridge to Augstmatthorn which is flanked by natural beauty and is popular for the rare ibex herd.
The neighbouring famous peaks – Eiger, Monch, Jungfrau offer a host of adventure activities like snowboarding, rock-climbing and sorts!
At a height of 1322m, the Harder Kulm offers breath-taking vistas of the Alpine peaks – Jungfrau, Monch Eiger around and the lakes Thun and Brienz, below.
The mountain-top Harder Kulm restaurant with its medieval style ambience, offers you traditional Swiss fare. Adding to the charm of the place is its sun terrace to unwind and soak in the natural beauty around!
4. Climb aboard the Two-lake Footbridge
Opened in the year 2011, near the Harder Kulm restaurant, the Two-lake Footbridge is a vantage point to capture picture postcard shots of the surrounding landscape . Its glass-viewing platform gives the perfect view of the two great lakes of Interlaken.
5. Experience Swiss Folklore
Against a breath-taking backdrop of the Alps famous peaks and lakes, the Harder Kulm restaurant’s terrace transforms into a stage showcasing Swiss Folklore with music dance and entertainment galore. The Harder folklore comes live during the May- October season!
If these exciting things don’t leave your senses satiated, there is more in store for you as you explore the places around Harder Kulm!
Places to Visit around Harder Kulm
1. Interlaken Ost
Apart from being the gateway to the Jungfrau region, the Interlaken Ost railway station is a prominent hub connecting to some of the major Swiss cities such as Geneva, Lucerne Zurich etc. In addition, regional bus and quay services operate via the Interlaken Ost. The Interlaken Ost offers many train services to explore the Bernese Oberland which is known for its unparalleled natural grandeur.
A 5-minute walk from the base station of the Harder Kulm cable car, the park is home to some of the sought-after local wildlife – mountain goats, ibex, marmots, chamois etc. it’s a great place for a leisurely tour amidst beautiful natural surroundings.
When in Switzerland, you cannot miss the signature Swiss chocolates for sure! The Funky Chocolate Club in Interlaken takes you from being a mere chocolate taster to a connoisseur. So, at the Funky chocolate Club, you get to taste and create chocolates. Numerous chocolate workshops are conducted round-the-year for chocolate lovers to indulge to the fullest!
As Interlaken’s most popular promenade, it runs from the East to West rail stations. Dotted with cafes, restaurants and flower beds, Hoheweg offers spectacular views of the Jungfrau. The avenue stretches through the 14-hectare Hohematte park which is known for the iconic Garden of Friendship- the first Japanese Garden to be established in Switzerland.
Nestled in the highlands of Berne, the museum of tourism in Unterseen showcases the history and development of tourism, roads and railroads in the region. It also features the growth in popularity of winter sports, adventure activities in Unterseen.
Here is a trail that opens to magnificent views of the Alps, the great Alpine lakes, high-altitude meadows and more! The rack railroad from Wilderswil leads to Schynige Platte which unfolds with panoramic views of Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger peaks and Lake Thun. The trail is flanked by beautiful Alpine gardens with more than 600 species of flowering plants.
Known for its natural splendour and wildlife, Niederhorn is one of the most spectacular viewpoints in Bernese Oberland. Readily accessible from Beatenberg ( a short bus ride from Interlaken), Niederhorn can be reached via a cable car and a funicular from a halfway rail station. Home to some of the rare wildlife such as the ibex, golden eagles, marmots etc., there are facilitated wildlife tours for travellers to enjoy the biodiversity of the region.
Winding its way through the Swiss Bern canton, the Interlaken West rail station is closer to the city centre compared to Interlaken Ost. It is well connected to regional bus and quay services. Being one of the two prominent railway stations of Interlaken, Interlaken West is a tourist hub with a wide array of stay options in its vicinity.
Other Essential Information About Harder Kulm
- Location: 3800, Interlaken, Bern Canton region , Parent range : Emmental Alps
- Entry fee: Funicular from Harder Kulm base station, EUR 30, return trip
- Opening hours: Monday – Saturday; 9:30 am – 9:30 pm; Sunday 8:30 am – 9:30 pm
- Distance from Interlaken Airport: 22 min (6.8 km) via Xender Bergstrasse
Highlights of Harder Kulm
- Interlaken’s local mountain, Harder Kulm is a popular viewpoint at an elevation of 1322 m above sea level.
- The peak is nestled in the Bernese Oberland. Overlooking Switzerland’s tourist hotspots, Interlaken and Unterseen, Harder Kulm offers panoramic views of the popular Alpine peaks – Eiger, Jungfrau and Monch.
- A castle-like restaurant at this viewpoint serves authentic Swiss cuisine, along with staging Swiss folklore in its sun terrace during certain months.
- Just close to the restaurant is the Two-lakes Footbridge which opens to spectacular vistas of the lakes Breinz and Thun.
- The best moments of Harder Kulm can be captured during sunset, when the mountains don a pinkish glow of the setting sun.
- Along the trail to Harder Kulm are many attractions such as the Alpine Harder Wildlife park that shelters some of the rare local species.
Tips on visiting Harder Kulm
While you brace up for a breath-taking views of the world-famous Jungfrau region from Harder Kulm, here are a few tips before you head up the trail:
- Keep in mind about the outfit you choose to wear. Check the local weather conditions and consider wearing warm clothing as the viewpoint is at a considerable altitude. As regards the footwear, ensure that you have your sneakers or comfortable walking shoes as you will be able to explore the top only on foot.
- Wear sunglasses to avoid the blinding glare of the sun at such altitudes.
- Sunset time is the ideal time of the day to visit Harder Kulm especially if you are eager for the picture postcard shots of the Alps and the surrounding landscape.
- If you are not choosing to hike the trail, the funicular ride is the only option to reach the summit.
- If you have a Swiss travel pass, check on the discount available on your Harder Kulm tickets.
- While you visit Harder Kulm, you can explore the nearby attractions like Interlaken, Unterseen, the Harder Alpine Wildlife park , Schynige Platte etc