About Mount Pilatus
When you have reached the top, there are a plethora of things for you to do! You can gaze at the Swiss Alps from the viewpoint, or you can drop into one of the bars or restaurants scattered all over the place! You’ll also find a Dragon path at the top of Mount Pilatus where information about the hiking trails and viewing points has been mentioned.
How to Reach Mount Pilatus
Mount Pilatus overlooks Lucerne, and there are mainly four ways by which you can reach this haven:
Distance: 9 km
By Cogwheel Rail
Distance: 9 km
Distance: 26.5 km
Best Time to Visit Mount Pilatus
The best time to visit Lucerne and Mount Pilatus would be between June and September. This is peak season, and the weather is quite pleasant. Since Lucerne is literally at the foot of the Alps, it is chilly even in summer! Here are a few other seasons when you might visit Mount Pilatus.
It would not be too wise to visit it during winter as the temperatures go really low and even the cogwheel rail is closed. You should visit Mount Pilatus in the morning as the queues will be less and you will be able to enjoy the view for some time! Then you can come back and explore the town of Lucerne in the evening!
What Not to Miss at Mount Pilatus
Pilatus will not disappoint you when it comes to the activities you might do there! You can snowshoe, hike, just click pictures or dig into some fondue!
1. Soak in the beauty with a glass of champagne or a cup of coffee
2. Take a hike up to the viewpoints
3. Hike up to Tomlishorn
4. Dig into some mouth-watering fondue!
5. Chase flowers on the Flower Trail!
Other Essential Information About Mount Pilatus
What to expect at the top of Mount Pilatus?Once you reach the top of Mount Pilatus, you will be greeted with a sight that will stun you into silence- Lake Lucerne nestled in the lap of the Swiss Alps! Not just that, you can take short hikes to access a number of viewpoints, each showing another breathtaking side to the Swiss Alps! And when you are done, just go into one of the restaurants to ask for fondue- this will complete yours once in a lifetime experience!
Traveler’s tips for Mount Pilatus
To make your experience even more memorable, we have a few things that you need to keep in mind:
- Try to leave for the Kriens station as early as you can, or else you may face a long queue in the peak season!
- Wear a light coat over a t-shirt and a cotton sweater. You will not need anything warmer during the summer season!
- Make sure you have worn good walking shoes or trekking shoes as you may need to hike to a few viewpoints.
- Try to book the tickets online if possible or else you may not get any during peak season
- Get a Swiss Travel Pass if possible as that includes all travel systems of Switzerland- including cableway and cog rail.
- To make the most of the trip, try to get there by 10. All the transportation systems close by 5, so you must leave by 4. This gives you a good 6 hours!