Adventure Activities in ColomboScuba Diving, River rafting, Trek to Kirigalpoththa Mountain Peak, Elephant Safari in Habarana, Hot air ballooning, Go Whale Watching, Surfing, Canoeing and many more.
Among all the thrill-seekers, adventure activities in Colombo are a massive hit. It doesn’t matter what kind of activity you’re looking for, the plethora of activities will definitely fulfil your requirements, giving you a once in a lifetime experience on your vacation.
Indulge in scuba diving to capture the beautiful views of the coral reefs, spectacular wrecks, and vegetation with diverse marine life or you can take part in river rafting. Kitulgala will give you a thrilling experience in both whitewater and turbulent waterways.
Colombo day tours offer a diverse selection of paddling trips, with new experiences to relish. The dry season is the ideal month to try out these activities. Leaving your worries behind, the adrenaline rush of the Colombo adventure sports will have you gasping for air and craving more.
You can head out on a trek to the Kirigalpoththa Mountain Peak to capture a wide range of animals and native bird species or on an elephant safari tour through towns, forests, mangrove swamps, and along the river. These experiences are unique and leave you with a lifetime of memories.
People Also Ask About Adventure in Colombo
What are the best adventure activities to do in Colombo?1. Scuba Diving: Scuba diving enthusiasts believe Colombo to be a paradise. Many coral reefs, spectacular wrecks, and vegetation with a diverse marine life can be found here. The advanced divers with the best training are the ideal candidates to scuba dive at this location. Fish life, wrecks, and coral reefs, especially black coral trees, are among the greatest sights in Colombo.
This is one of the most sought after adventure activities in Colombo. The diving season runs from November through mid-April, when the monsoon sets in. February and March are the months with the best diving conditions. The weather is hot and dry throughout these two months.
Location: Wave Seafood and Grill Restaurant, De Alwis Pl, Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia, Sri Lanka
Timing: 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM
2. River rafting: River Rafting is available in certain Colombo’s rivers for recreational activists and water sport enthusiasts. The most renowned spot to perform this activity in Colombo is the little village of Kitulgala in the hill highlands. A good degree of physical condition and a positive attitude would suffice. River rafting, which may be done in both whitewater and other turbulent waterways, provides a thrilling experience for water sport lovers.
The months of May through December are ideal for river rafting at Kitulgala. During seasons of heavy rain, the river may become quite volatile, making this activity extremely dangerous.
Location: Ginigathena road Yatiberiya kitulgala, Kitulgala 71720, Sri Lanka
Timing: 7:30 AM - 9:30 PM
3. Trek to Kirigalpoththa Mountain Peak: Kirigalpotththa is Sri Lanka's second tallest mountain, behind Pidurutalagala. At its highest point, it rises to 2,388 metres above sea level. This 7-kilometer trail is open to the public to walk. The Sri Lankan Leopard and the Sambur are two wild animals that you can come upon.
If you're lucky, you might even spot some native bird species. Avoid visiting on rainy days if you want a clear mountain view. The trail winds through dense rainforests, dirty marshes, and rocky peaks. It is recommended that you start a little earlier and return before the sun sets.
Location: Nuwara Eliya in Sri Lanka
4. Elephant Safari in Habarana: In Habarana, take an unforgettable elephant ride. Habarana is the heart of Columbo's cultural triangle that allows the visitors to ride elephants. The journey will take you along the main road, down paths, through towns, through forests, through mangrove swamps, and along the river.
Elephant safaris are common in Minneriya and Kaudulla National Parks. It's a fun approach to learn more about the elephants' habits and ecology. The greatest time to go on an elephant safari is between March and July, when the river is high enough for the elephant to ride with a significant portion of it submerged.
Location: Trincomalee Road, Habarana 50150, Sri Lanka
5. Hot air ballooning: Experience hot air ballooning as you've never experienced it before, where the movement is imperceptible and the stillness is complete, allowing you to relax and appreciate the scenery. Feel the rush as you take off and glide easily over the breathtaking beauty of the craggy Sigiriya Rock, lush greenery, lakes, rivers, and cultural monuments. This provides a beautiful refreshment from all the adventure sports in Colombo.
Location: 42, Bagatalle Road, Colombo 00300, Sri Lanka
Timing: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
6. Go Whale Watching: Colombo is one of the greatest and most affordable destinations in the world to watch dolphins and whales. The Sri Lankan navy has a small ship that will securely transport people out to sea to observe these wonderful creatures. Reservations are made over the internet.
Whale viewing is possible all year at either Mirissa Galle or Trincomalee. When a whale resurfaces, the boats make a frenzied race to get into what they feel is the greatest location to view the whale resurface. This adventure activity in Colombo is highly reliant on the weather.
Location: No. 164/1 W. A. Silva Mawatha, Colombo 00600, Sri Lanka
7. Surfing: Sri Lankan waters are especially well suited for surfers: the waves are generally not too demanding, and there are various spots along the east and south coast for beginners, intermediates and advanced surfers.
As a rule, wind conditions for surfing are better in the morning and in the evening; this is because the wind picks up around noon. The best time to try out this adrenaline filled activity is from October to March.
Location: No: 8 Ascot Ave, Colombo 00500, Sri Lanka
Timing: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8. Canoeing: Sri Lanka is a great nation to visit for a canoe trip, with its tropical climate and diverse range of bodies of water. Whether you are a seasoned canoeist or have never paddled before, Sri Lanka has plenty of opportunities for you to participate in this exhausting yet gratifying sport. River canoeing activities are available in rivers all across Colombo on day excursions.
Take a river canoe trip along the Mahaweli or Kalu Ganga, or combine it with other activities like trekking and riding. Colombo day tours provide a wide range of canoeing excursions, with new experiences and itineraries introduced on a regular basis.
Location: 151/1B Dudley Senanayake Mawatha, Colombo 00800, Sri Lanka
Timing: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Which are the best adventure water sports to do in Colombo?
1. Scuba Diving: Swimming in the warm waves of the Indian Ocean is a once in a lifetime experience. You'll see a wide range of marine life and be able to cross a number of them off your list. This place offers it all, from huge blue whales to nudibranchs, making it one of the most sought after adventure sports in Colombo.
2. Whitewater Rafting: It offers you a surge of excitement and is an ideal activity for nature and adventure enthusiasts. Your Instagram feed will appear better thanks to Colombo's water sports.
3. Snorkeling: Snorkeling is the sport for you if you are not comfortable with scuba diving but still want to feel the excitement of the Indian Ocean. The Bar Reef, Sri Lanka's biggest reef, is a must-see. The months of April to May are ideal for snorkeling in Colombo.
4. Surfing: For surfers, Colombo is paradise. Surfers from all over the world travel to the Indian Ocean to partake in the sport, making it one of the most sought after adventure sports in Colombo. During the hot season, the waves may reach eight feet high, and they never go below that at Hikkaduwa. If you've never surfed before but are a thrill seeker, take it slowly and learn from the best.
5. Kayaking: Paddle along the river with your pals in a kayak rented from a local rental shop. Kayaking on the river is very safe and quite enjoyable, giving a good refreshment from all the heart thumping adventure sports in Colombo. So relax and take advantage of the calm waters of the Indian Ocean.
What is the best time for adventure sports in Colombo?The best time to indulge in adventure sports in Colombo is from the months of November to march. The temperature remains low and the island receives very occasional showers. Tourists can go for exciting water sports or simply relax on the beaches of the panoramic tropical island.
What is the cost of River rafting in Colombo?The cost of river rafting is moderately priced ranging from Rs.3000 to Rs.5000 depending on the stream speed, difficulty level, location and duration. There are a variety of packages for tourists to choose from which also includes pickup up and drop off services. Tourists can choose for beginner level rafting coaching with supervision and experience a lifetime of thrilling experiences.
What are the important things to remember while going scuba diving?- Follow instructions carefully. Especially first-time divers, take note of everything your instructor says. Scuba deceiving is an extreme sport, and for non-swimmers, it can be a task. So, sticking to the instructions is the best thing to do.
- Practise breathing and equalising. Due to pressure change below the sea level, divers can experience discomfort in hearing, therefore equalising is necessary. Also, relax and take deep breaths and try not to get panicky.
- Refrain from diving deeper. Stay close to your instructors and your group. 40 metres below sea level offers the best views of the sea and the extravagant marine life. Diving any further below can be dangerous and wastage of time.
- Do not carry unnecessary luggage or baggage which might add on the extra weight and thus limit your movement underwater. Take necessary items and make sure you double-check all instruments required before diving.