While history is a major flank of tourism in this city, the nature reserves and spots contribute equally to the tourism industry. Not only has Colombo preserved its natural sites but has also been hosting a varied range of animals giving them protection and survival. The city is clearly a dream destination for history buffs and nature lovers. The locals of Sri Lanka are extremely friendly and that makes the place feel like home for travelers flying in from all over the world. The country’s tourism has been thriving over the years and all these factors mentioned owe to its growth.
Although Colombo has stuck to its past and basks in history and culture, it has equally managed to develop simultaneously in terms of trends and overall economy. The city is seen to have some high-raised westernized buildings and extremely good shopping places to visit. Thus, it offers a perfect combination of ancient and upcoming cultures making it a place for everyone to enjoy. With so much of details and the best Colombo tour packages, it is not very easy planning a quality trip to this place. To help you with planning your trip to Colombo, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions to give you a clear idea of what to look out for. Hope this helps:
Popular Colombo Tour Packages
|Sri Lanka Tour Package from Mumbai 2021 | Flat 22% off||7D/6N||₹ 25000||5.0 star|
|Sri Lanka Tour Package from Delhi 2021 | Flat 25% off||7D/6N||₹ 30000||5.0 star|
|Sri Lanka Tour Package from India 2021 | Flat 15% off||6D/5N||₹ 20000||5.0 star|
|Tea Hills Tour in Sri Lanka||5D/4N||₹ 54433||3.0 star|
|Tour to Kandy and Hatton in Srilanka||5D/4N||₹ 30619||3.0 star|
People Also Ask About Colombo Tours
What are the top attractions on a sightseeing tour in Colombo?
Colombo has quite a lot of tourist attractions to keep your itinerary packed. Some of the top tourist attractions in Colombo are:
- National museum – a place for history lovers and architectural junkies
- Dehiwala Zoo – also known as National Zoological Gardens of Srilanka, can witness a range of protected animals like elephants, chimpanzees and sea lions.
- St Anthony’s Church – famous church of Colombo
- Attidiya Bird Sanctuary – provides shelter to more than 50 different bird species alone
- Mount Lavinia – the sunset views from this heritage hotel is unbeatable
- Traditional Puppet Art Museum
- Dutch period museum
- Old city hall – an architectural marvel left over by the British Era
- Beira Lake – duck paddle boats, picnics and adventure at this lake are common activities.
What are the most romantic things to do on a honeymoon in Colombo?
Although Colombo is low key with its activities, the city has some lovely things to do with your partner during your honeymoon. Here are the most romantic things to do on a honeymoon in Colombo:
- Ride on a hot air balloon and enjoy a bird’s eye view of the beautiful city in the silent skies with your loved one.
- Enjoy a candlelight beach dinner
- Take a private cruise on sailboats or catamaran rides during sunset
- Have a romantic tree top dinner
- Experience a tented camp amongst the wildlife of Sri Lanka
- Snorkel with your partner in Pigeon Island
Where can I go on a whale watching tour in Colombo?
Colombo has a few unusual tours to offer to its tourists and whale and dolphin watching is definitely on top of this list. The top whale watching tours in Colombo are:
- Mirissa Whale watching day tour
- Raja and the Whales Tours
- Dondra point is a popular spot for whale watching too
Which are the best tours to experience wildlife in Colombo?
Although the island is small, it is warm enough to host a range of animals. Sri Lanka offers a variety of wildlife options and the best places to experience a wildlife tour are:
- A safari to Yala
- Kumana National Park
- Wild world in a park
- Wilpattu national parks
- Uda Walawe National Park
- Bundala National Park
- Sinharaja Forest Park
- Pigeon Island National Park
Which are the most popular areas to go for a shopping tour in Colombo?
Colombo has an array of shopping spaces to indulge in some Quality shopping. Some of the top picks are:
- Odel – high profile departmental store
- Barefoot - for designer shopping
- Plate –great place to find antiques, old book collections, etc
- Paradise road – variety of original home wares and designer items
- Selyn – colourful and stylish local handlooms
- House of Fashion – Outlet store with high quality textile at low prices
- Dilmah Tea shop – an upmarket shop to buy some quality tea bags
- Kala Pola Art market – display of local artworks
- Laksala – government run arts and crafts shop
- Arpico – Imported goods like gadgets, cosmetics, food and more
- Gandhara – stylish designer shop, great shopping for luxury gift giving.
Which are the best museums to visit in Colombo?
The city of Colombo has a rich history which is displayed through its museums. Museums tours in the city are great for history buffs and cultural lovers. Some of the must visit museums in Colombo are:
- Colombo National Museum
- The Dutch Museum
- Independence Museum
- Traditional Puppet art museum
- National Railway museum
- Geoffrey Bawa house
What are the places perfect for heritage tours in Colombo?
Colombo has some extraordinary heritage sites that will be a treat to cultural and heritage lovers. Here are our top picks for a heritage tour in Colombo:
- Sigiriya Rock Fortress
- Dambulla caves
- Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage
- Nalanda Gedige
- Viharamahadevi Park
- Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara
Where can I go for a trekking tour in Colombo?
Srilanka is great place for adventurous treks amongst the hills and especially the forests. Here are some popular places where you can go on a trekking tour in and around Colombo:
- Dambulla – Sigiriya trek
- Sinharaja Rain Forest walk – great for bird watching
- Udawalawe Safari
- Rainforest trek at Kitulgala Forest reserve
- Waterfall trekking at Kitulgala
- Galle Fort
- Madu river
- De-route and trek to Knuckles mountain range
Which are the top camping experiences in Colombo?
With forests and plenty of nature filled spaces, Sri Lanka has numerous spots where you can experience the best camping at. The top camping sports would be:
- Yala National Park Camping
- Udawalawe National Park Camping
- Wilpattu National Park Camping
- Camping at Knuckles mountain range
- Camp on the banks of Mahiyanganaya Sorabora Lake
- Vaddar Village Camping
Where can I enjoy an elephant safari in Colombo?
Colombo is home to some gigantic elephants and thus there are many adventurous elephant safaris being offered to the tourists. Some of the best places to experience an elephant safari near Colombo are: National Park of Minneriya and National Park of Kaudulla. However, Habarana is the transit point for herds of elephants moving into the parks and you can witness these herds from a distance.
Where can I enjoy the famous sea plane ride over Colombo?
The Sri Lankan Air Taxi is the most famous sea plane ride to take anywhere in Sri Lanka. It covers many of the popular regions to the island to watch from a view. The usual routes are over to the towns of Galle, Tangalle and Kandy.
Which are the best day tours to do in Colombo?
Some of the best day tours to experience in Colombo are:
- Sigiriya Day tours
- Pinnawala elephant orphanage
- Peradeniya Botanical Garden Day tour
- Sinharaja rainforest walk and bird watching day tour