About Colombo Lotus Tower
The tallest skyscraper of Sri Lanka- Colombo Lotus tower is also known as “Nelum Kuluna” in Sinhala. Colombo lotus tower is one of the most famous tourist sites in the town of Colombo, Sri Lanka. Standing at a height of 356 meters this tower is the tallest tower in South Asia, 11th tallest tower in Asia and 19th tallest tower in the world. It has become one of the major tourist attractions in Sri Lanka and popular among tourists.
If you plan on visiting the country then this tower is a must-visit. It basically serves as a transmission tower for tv and radio. Besides being a transmission and communicating tower it also serves various leisure activities. There are banquet halls, shopping malls, hotels with suites, restaurants, museums, auditoriums and much more for the tourist to explore in the tower. There is a revolving restaurant at the top which provides a scenic view of the city. It completes one rotation every 90 minutes. This tower is one of the biggest highlights of Colombo and due to its enormous length, it can be seen from as far as 10kms from the main site. Approximately 50 television and radio broadcasters can be accommodated in the tower, along with 20 telecommunication providers.
Lotus tower can attract more than thousands of tourists every day. It is open 24 hours and 365 days of the year for the tourists. On special festivals such as Pongal, Diwali, Eid, Christmas and many more the interiors of the tower are decorated accordingly. This tower is surely a gem in the busy city of Colombo and must not be missed if you are planning to tour this beautiful city.
How to Reach Colombo Lotus Tower
By Cab: It is approximately 33km away from the main airport. Once you land at Colombo International airport, then it takes approximately one hour to reach the lotus tower by car, depending upon the traffic.
By Bus: If you want to opt for cheaper options then you can travel by bus services available in the city but it will take a much longer time as compared to other routes(more than two hours). For the bus, you will have to walk 10-15 minutes from the airport to the Colombo central bus stand and board on the bus no. 265. Then get down at Armour street junction bus stop(after 4 bus stops) and board on 155 bus and get down at St. Joseph's bus stop and walk for 5-10 minutes towards the tower.
What Not to Miss at Colombo Lotus Tower
Among the various things to do, some of the most popular and awesome things to do in Lotus tower are:
1. Stroll around the tower- The tallest tower in South Asia was mainly built to function as a transmission centre for radio and television. But it also hosts various recreational centres, malls, restaurants and leisure activities which the tourist can enjoy and spend quality time with their loved ones.
2. Eat in the Restaurants- There are various restaurants located in the tower at various floors where you can have any type of cuisine of your choice. Some are located on the third and fourth floors. However, the restaurant at the top is the one which catches the eyes of the tourists. It is a revolving restaurant where you can have delicious food along with the amazing and beautiful view of the entire city. Every 90 minutes it completes a revolution so you don’t have to worry about your surroundings while dining.
3. Enjoy a Shopping Spree- There are various brands available where you can buy clothes, accessories, shoes, bags, souvenirs and so on. They are located on the lower floors mainly on the third and fourth floors.
4. Stay in the best hotels of the city- If you are tired and do not wish to travel anymore then this tower offers you various hotels at 5th floor where you can relax and sit comfortably after a long and tiring journey and enjoy the beauty of the Beira lake through the windows of your rooms
5. Visit the Observation Deck- The observation deck at this place is a must-visit if you are visiting this tower. It offers an exceptional view of the city and also the interiors are beautifully decorated. Thus, you can click amazing pictures and capture your lovely memories.
Apart from all these, you can enjoy the ballrooms, recreational activities and much more.
Explore the Colombo Lotus Tower
There are four parts in the tower namely; Tower Base, Tower Stem, Tower House and Antenna Mast. Each of these areas is home to many places which one can explore. Below mentioned is the complete analysis of each part.
1. Tower Base- The Tower Base forms the base part of the Lotus tower. The base consists of over 9 floors of the tower and are located at an elevation of 215 metres to 260 metres. The base is designed in the form of a bud of the lotus flower and the various petals of the base are decorated by lights which are illuminated with different colours. The various places to explore in the Tower base are
- Outdoor Space: The rooftop outdoor space of the Tower Base is a very place for organising various events and shows. It is home to some of the most popular events in Colombo. The total area of Outdoor Space is more than 54,000 square feet.
- VIP Entrance (Second Floor): The VIP Entrance on the second floor of the Tower Base is home to a big shopping complex which spreads around 51,000 square feet.
- Shopping Centre: One of the most popular places to explore in the Lotus Tower is the Shopping Centre which is located on the first floor of the tower base. It is home to many popular shops of Colombo and spreads across an area of more than 51000 square feet.
- The Entrance Lobby: The Entrance Lobby of the Lotus Tower is located on the ground floor of the Tower Base. It is home to many shopping complexes and spreads over an area of 52000 square feet.
- Basement: The basement of the Tower Base has the banquet hall and some of the most famous revolving restaurants in the Lotus Tower.
2. Tower Stem: The second part of the Lotus Tower is the Tower Stem area. It is located below the Tower House and above the Tower Base. The main things which are located in this part of the tower are the various lifts that are used to carry passengers and goods.
3. Tower House: Tower House is the main part of the Lotus Tower as it is home to some of the most popular locations in the tower. Many tourists often love to spend their time at leisure in this part of the Lotus Tower. Tower house has a total of level with each level having numerous places of adventure, fun and entertainment.
The various places in the Tower House are as follows:
- Observation Deck: Located on the 7th Floor of the Tower House, Observation Deck attracts thousands of tourists. One can get a panoramic view of the city of Columbo from an elevation of 280 metres. Alongside offering a breathtaking view, the Observation deck of the Tower House is also home to several restaurants and other places.
- Lotus Suite: If you wish to stay in the Lotus Tower, this is the best place. The Lotus Suite is the best place to give yourself a rest. After a tiring tour of the city and the tower, one can rent out one of the sic guest houses located in the Lotus Suite. These guesthouses offer a magnificent view of the city and its surroundings. Eat, drink and relax in the various guest houses of the Lotus Suite.
- Revolving Restaurant: The most famous revolving restaurant in Colombo is located in the Lotus Tower. Located in the Tower House section of the Lotus Tower, this revolving restaurant is visited by thousands of tourists. This revolving restaurant takes around 90 minutes to complete a total-revolution. One can eat some of the most famous Sri Lankan dishes in the revolving restaurant of Tower House.
- Banquet Halls: There are many Banquet Halls in the Lotus tower but the banquet halls located in the Tower House part of the tower are the most elegant and popular ones. These two halls have a total space of around 15000 Sq. feet and can accommodate around 600-650 guests.
- Transmission Centres: There are two floors in the Tower House which are dedicated to various Transmission activities.
4. Antenna: The Antenna is the prime spot of the tower. It located on the top part of the Lotus Tower and was built to manage the telecommunication of various TV and Radio networks. The prime objective of this Antenna tower is to support hosting of various TV broadcasting shows and channels, Radio broadcasting and to work as the main hub for telecommunication networks not only in Colombo but also in the nearby places of the city.
Other Essential Information About Colombo Lotus Tower
Location: This tower is located in the heart of the city of Colombo, Srilanka on the waterfront of Beira lake where you can easily reach by road, 33kms away from the Colombo international airport.
Entry fee: There will be an entry fee for the local people and tourists which is approximately 20 US dollars for a tourist, however a concession may be granted to students and families.
Timings: The tower is open for 24 hours throughout the year for the visitors.
History of Colombo Lotus Tower
Back in 2012, Sri Lanka and China signed the agreement under the controversial Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) to build the tallest tower in South Asia. China National Electronics Import and Export Corporation (CEIEC) is the major contractor of the tower. Thus, the construction of this tower started on January 20, 2012, and was opened to the public on 16th September 2019 by Maithripala Sirisena, the President of Sri Lanka. The construction of the tower has not been completed till now, but some parts of the tower have been made accessible to the tourists. This tower is one of the biggest construction efforts as of now. Initially, it was supposed to be built in Peliyagoda (a suburb in the city of Colombo, in the Western Province of Sri Lanka) but later the location was changed by the government.
It finally stands in the heart of the city of Colombo on the waterfront of the Beira Lake. The construction of this tower cost around 104.3 million dollars which are funded by EXIM Bank of the People's Republic of China, which will be paid back by the Government of Sri Lanka through the revenue earned by renting out the space of the tower. The layout of the tower is inspired by the lotus flower which symbolizes purity in Sri Lanka. It also symbolizes the flourishing development of the country.the tower will function as a digital TV tower, communication services and other leisure facilities such as hotels, restaurants, museums, shopping malls and much more, accommodating thousands of tourists.
Interesting Facts about Colombo Lotus Tower
1. The height of this tower is 356 meters and it is the tallest tower in South Asia, 11th tallest tower in Asia and 19th tallest tower in the world.
2. It is the tallest skyscraper in Sri Lanka and thus it can be seen from a distance as far as 10kms from the main site.
3. The construction of the tower was started in 2012 and it took seven years for the construction to complete, after which it was made open by the President of Sri Lanka to the public in September 2019.
4. The design of this tower is inspired by the lotus flower(which means purity in Sri Lanka) and consists of 13 floors and 8 elevators and 4 entrances.
5. It functions as a transmission tower for TV and radio. Other than this, it serves various leisure facilities such as shopping malls, hotels, restaurants, recreational centres and much more.
6. At the top, there is a revolving restaurant that completes a single revolution in 90 minutes where you can enjoy the scenic view of the city. Other facilities such as suites will be provided for the guests to stay.
7. The petals of the flowers are made of glass while the framework is of steel, which illuminates with colour-changing LED lights. The tower is also illuminated with floodlights with beautifully decorated interiors.
Tips for Visiting Colombo Lotus Tower
To explore the Colombo Lotus Tower with total enjoyment, you should know the following tips.
1. The best way to reach the Lotus Tower from Colombo International airport is through road preferably by a car which takes approximately one hour to reach.
2. It is accessible throughout the day, the whole year for the tourists to explore and enjoy its beauty.
3. This tower is symbolic and an emblem of pride which signifies the flourishing development of the country.
4. The observation deck on the 7th floor is a perfect place to click pictures full of memories.
5. It also hosts various restaurants and hotels to satiate your hunger and rest after a tiring tour of the magnificent structure.