Take your thrill to the supreme level by indulging in water sports in Rishikesh. Amidst those scenic mountainous landscapes of Rishikesh, these heart-racing activities are a must-do for everyone as they promise an unforgettable experience. Rishikesh is a haven for adventure lovers as you get to see the best water sports facility and have an enthralling getaway amidst the snow capped mountains.
Promising an enthralling vacation, Rishikesh water sports are the highlight of the vacation for adventure junkies. While river rafting is one of the most popular and invigorating activities in Rishikesh, there is no dearth of other adventurous activities. The mighty and ferocious waters of River Ganga also promise a thrilling venture as you get to indulge in activities like rappelling, kayaking and canoeing in Rishikesh.
Whether it involves an electrifying cliff jumping into the waters of River Ganga or waterfall trekking with your friends and family, the travellers can look forward to getting a plentiful dose of adventure during their vacation.
People Also Ask About Water Sports in Rishikesh
Which are some fun-filled water sports we can have in Rishikesh?
1. River Rafting: One of the most sought-after water sports in Rishikesh, river rafting is one of the must do activities for adventure junkies. There are five grade levels for rafting in Rishikesh where you get to manoeuvre through the thrilling rapids of River Ganga anytime throughout the year. As the grade level increases, the difficulty level increases for your rafting experience. Some of the popular grades for rafting in Rishikesh are Sweet Sixteen (Grade-I), Hilton and Terminator (Grade-II), Three Blind Mice (Grade-III), The Wall (Grade-IV), Daniel's Dip (Grade-V) etc. The rafting professionals take care of the highest safety standards and offer a thrilling adventure for all rafting enthusiasts.
Location: Kaudiyala- Marine Drive (10 km with grade III & IV), Marine Drive- Shivpuri (11 km with grade II & III), Shivpuri-Brahmpuri (11 km with grade I & II), Brahmpuri-Lakshman Jhula (9 km with grade I).
Price: INR 400-1300.
2. Waterfall Trekking: Gear up for an offbeat experience with waterfall trekking in Rishikesh. The adventurous activity can be combined with a picnic while you take a hike up the mountain along the river with your loved ones. Waterfall trekking in Rishikesh offers a wonderful time whether you are a beginner or an experienced trekker. Amidst the scenic beauty, it is a wonderful experience to navigate through the challenging jungle trails in Rishikesh to reach the waterfall. The most amazing waterfalls to trek in Rishikesh are Neergarh Waterfall, Garud Chatti Waterfall and the Patna Waterfall.
Location: Waterfall trek, Kunjapuri Trek and Neelkanth Mahadev Trek.
3. Kayaking: One of the prominent Rishikesh water sports, Kayaking is an activity that tests your physical strength while allowing a pulse-racing time on your vacation. The refreshing activity can be tried from moderate to challenging rapids under the supervision of experienced professionals in Rishikesh. After acquainting yourself with the necessary skills, kayaking can be enjoyed in the waters of River Ganges. In Rishikesh, kayaking is a beautiful experience as you get to hop on specially designed boats and have the best kayaking gear to let you have a memorable experience.
Location: Shivpuri region.
Price: Varies according to the duration and level of kayaking training required.
4. Cliff Jumping: One of the adventurous water sports in Rishikesh, cliff jumping involves jumping from a height into the river. Rishikesh boasts of some magnificent cliffs which makes this activity totally adrenaline pumping here. The activity is one of the popular adventure sports for both beginners and experts in Rishikesh as you jump from a height of 30-40 feet. The adventure sport tests your mental and physical capabilities and offers an adrenaline pumping experience. The most popular place for cliff-jumping in Rishikesh is located in the lower part of the Brahmapuri Stretch which is 2 km before Laxman Jhula.
Location: 2 km before Lakshman Jhula from Brahmapuri.
5. Body Surfing: Body surfing is among the most refreshing Rishikesh water sports which is very easy to do and promises a lot of fun. This beginner friendly activity does not require any prior experience or training and usually can be enjoyed for free when you partake in river rafting in Rishikesh. In body surfing, you can ride along the waves as you are steered along with the motion of the river. With a few accessories like hand paddles and waves blades, body surfing can be enjoyed thoroughly when you are in Rishikesh.
Location: This can be enjoyed at the Ganges and is mostly included in rafting package.
Price: Starts from INR 1,000 onwards.
What are the best places in Rishikesh for water sports?
1. Triveni Ghat: Known for being the confluence of three rivers viz. Ganges, Yamuna and Saraswati, Triveni Ghat is one of the best places for nature lovers in Rishikesh. One can enjoy bathing in the river here and enjoy the glittering waters of River Ganga. While Triveni Ghat is more famous for its religious activities like Ganga Arti, tourists here can look forward to an enchanting experience sitting by the calming waters of the river Ganga.
2. Patna Waterfall: For the adventure enthusiasts, Patna Waterfalls offers an exciting Rishikesh water sport viz. trekking. It is one of the most sought-after places for monsoon trekking when you can enjoy a thrilling getaway due to the increased risk. It is well-known for its limestone caves as they make a spectacular landscape when combined with the lush greenery. It offers a trekking experience which can be completed in 1.5 km from the Rajaji Forest and offers a pulse racing getaway for everyone.
3. Shivpuri: This is a small town which is located 20 kilometres away from Rishikesh. It is a popular spot for having an adventurous outing by enjoying activities like river rafting with camping in Rishikesh. The famous camps here offer a scintillating view of the mountains and valleys and attract all the adventure junkies in Rishikesh. It has some of the famous rapids on River Ganga which are Return to Sender, Roller Coaster, Golf course and Club House. Other thrilling experiences which can be enjoyed at Shivpuri are kayaking, nature trails, rappelling and beach activities.
What are the water activities small kids can do in Rishikesh?
1. Play on the banks of the River Ganges: One of the best ways to spend time with kids in Rishikesh is to take them on the river blanks and indulge in various activities. Kids can play various games here like cricket, badminton, volleyball etc. It is a good place to have a picnic with your loved ones and soak in the serene ambience of River Ganga when you are there.
2. Enjoy boating: Have an adventure by doing boating in the waters of River Ganges in Rishikesh. It is one of the most refreshing water sports in Rishikesh for kids as you can enjoy the beautiful scenery and treasure some amazing memories. It is also a great way to see the Ganga arti and explore the surroundings of this holy city.
Where can I do river Rafting in Rishikesh?
River rafting in Rishikesh can be enjoyed over the waters of River Ganga. The four popular routes for enjoying river rafting in Rishikesh are:
1. Kaudiyala- Marine Drive (10 km with grade III & IV)
2. Marine Drive- Shivpuri (11 km with grade II & III)
3. Shivpuri-Brahmpuri (11 km with grade I & II)
4. Brahmpuri-Lakshman Jhula (9 km with grade I).
Where can I go for a boat ride in Rishikesh?
The best place for doing a boat ride in Rishikesh is Tehri Lake. The lake offers a soothing ambience where you can enjoy a number of water sports along with boating.
How much will it cost me to do River Rafting in Rishikesh?
The cost for doing river rafting in Rishikesh differs from INR 1500 to INR 2500 per person.
Is it worth visiting Rishikesh for water activities?
Yes, Rishikesh is totally worth indulging yourself in water activities. It is blessed with the ferocious waters of River Ganga which promises some breathtaking adventures for the travellers. Some of the popular water sports which can be enjoyed here include kayaking, river rafting, body surfing etc.
What kind of health precautions must be taken care of for river Rafting?
While doing river rafting, one must always wear a life jacket which is perfectly clipped and the right fit for you. The participant should wear the helmet and have the right outerwear to save themselves from the chilly waters of River Ganga.
Along with that, one can make sure to carry along extra gear for protection like sunglasses with straps and sunscreen to protect yourself from sunburn due to UV radiation. Also, make sure that you follow the instructions from the guide carefully to hold the paddle properly, don’t panic and always hold the boat while going downstream.
What is the minimum age required to do water activities in Rishikesh?
The minimum age to participate in water activities in Rishikesh is 18.
Can a non-swimmer indulge in water sports in Rishikesh?
Yes, a non-swimmer can easily indulge in water sports in Rishikesh. The water sports activities here are organised under the supervision of experienced professionals who will advise you the necessary precautions to exercise during your adventure activity.
Moreover, they accompany you and tell you the specific techniques to help you in case of any emergency with their pre-hand knowledge.
What happens in case of any medical emergency during water sports?
In case of any medical emergency during the water sports, the tour operators have their first aid protocols which are strictly adhered to. In such circumstances, the nearest hospital is contacted so that medical aid can be provided at the earliest.
What is body surfing in Rishikesh?
Body surfing is one of the popular water activities in Rishikesh which you can undertake for an adventurous getaway.
It is an activity where your body will float on the waves and you will be dependent on the river current to take you along with it. It involves riding with the waves by streamlining the body along.
Is rafting open in Rishikesh in december?
Yes, rafting is open in Rishikesh in December. However, it is a time when not many tourists indulge in camping and rafting activities. Therefore, one can enjoy a vacation to Rishikesh without the tourist rush in December.
What is the best time to visit Rishikesh for water sports?
The most favourable time to visit Rishikesh for water sports is from the month of October to June. The months of Monsoon aren’t the best time to visit Rishikesh for water sports as the river is at its full velocity.