The capital of Nepal is not only a metropolitan city but also a valley which is surrounded by four prominent hills. It is nestled at a height of 1400m above sea level and is a city of beauty and peace. Kathmandu is the ideal place for any kind of traveling ranging from adventure activities to pilgrimage experiences. Kathmandu tour packages can be designed around trekking destinations, heritage sites, wildlife sojourns, and adventure sports activities in Kathmandu.
The monasteries, temples, and its durbars are some of the major attractions for the hordes of tourists traveling every year. Places such as the Swayambhunath temple and the Kopan Monastery are shrouded with stories in the past. A plethora of historical places like the National Museum and the National History Museum of Nepal, the Narayanhiti Royal Palace where the royal families of Nepal had dwelled once upon a time, and scenic locations such as the Garden of Dreams are majorly included in Kathmandu packages.
Activities such as bungee jumping, rock climbing, and rafting definitely become the love of an adrenaline junkie in Kathmandu. Motorbikers are often seen riding the rugged roads in the region for the last couple of years. The Nepalese cuisine is the essence of the place which is best sampled and presented in Kathmandu.
With friendly locals, lavish landscapes, and a rich cultural heritage, which boosts up the place giving each and every one of its visitors a truly cherishable experience here in bliss and serenity. So plan your next vacation with the best Kathmandu holiday packages and be sure to create memories for a lifetime.
Popular Kathmandu Tour Packages
|Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal | Book @ Flat 22% off||12D/11N||₹ 38500||5.0 star|
|Kathmandu Tour Package from Delhi 2021 | Flat 15% off||4D/3N||₹ 11000||4.0 star|
|Everest Base Camp Trek: Leadership Expedition||16D/15N||₹ 89900||3.0 star|
|Nepal Tour Package from Mumbai 2021 | Flat 20% off||5D/4N||₹ 18000||5.0 star|
|Nepal Tour Package from Delhi 2021 | Flat 25% off||4D/3N||₹ 11000||5.0 star|
People Also Ask About Kathmandu Tours
Which are the best Kathmandu tour packages?Here are some of the best Kathmandu tour packages:
1. Kathmandu Tour Package From Delhi 2020 | Flat 15% Off
2. 7 Days Nepal Holiday Package For Family Flat 20% Off
3. 6 Days Nepal Tour Package With Flights Flat 20% Off
4. Kathmandu Sightseeing Tour For 4 Days And 3 Nights
5. Kathmandu And Pokhara Tour For 5 Days
6. 8 Days Nepal Holiday Tour: Kathmandu & Pokhara Spl
Which are the famous places to visit in Kathmandu?1. Boudhanath Stupa: Hailed as one of the biggest Stupas in Asia, this place is a must visit for all the pilgrims in Kathmandu tour packages. It was constructed in 600 A.D coinciding with the time when the Tibetan king decided to adopt Buddhism. It survived a disastrous earthquake during 2015 and attracts visitors from all over the world.
Address: Buddha Stupa, Boudhanath Sadak.
2. Durbar Square: Famed as one of the UNESCO world heritage sites, the Durbar Square of Kathmandu is one of the most prominent places to see in Kathmandu tour packages. There are many sacred temples which depict the ancient architecture of Kathmandu Valley.
Some of the popular places to see in Durbar Square include Seto (White) Bhairab- a must visit during Indra Jatra Festival, Jagannath Temple, Taleju Temple, Indrapur Temple and Chandreshwar Temple.
Address: Durbar Square, Kathmandu, Nepal.
3. Pashupatinath: Indulge in a holy getaway to visit temples and enjoy many Hindu festivals in Pashupatinath. Spiritual travellers will be excited to watch the sadhus doing their holy rites of cremation by the banks of River Bagmati at Pashupatinath Temple here.
Culture lovers and art admirers will love to pay a visit to Bachhareschwari Temple, which was constructed in the 6th Century. Other famous temples to not miss here are Gorakhnath Temple and Ram Temple.
Address: Pashupati Nath Road 44621.
Opening hours: Every day from 4 AM – 12 PM & 5 PM – 9 PM.
4. Garden of Dream: Offering a tranquil respite from the hubbub of city life, Garden of Dreams is known for its neoclassical design. Here, you will be greeted by a verdant landscape of greenery, sparkling ponds and towering trees right in the heart of Kathmandu. It is one of the best places in Kathmandu packages to add to your itinerary to help your mind and body rejuvenate in this beautiful garden made in European style.
Opening hours: every day from 9 AM – 10 PM.
Price: 200 rupees.
5. Kopan Monastery: Perched in the suburbs of Kathmandu, Kopan Monastery can be visited by hailing a taxi or booking an organised Kathmandu tour.
Take part in one of the meditation classes to help you rejuvenate your mind and mody at Kopan Monastery. For the best experience, visit during the morning while enjoying a pleasant walk from Bodhnath and Gokarna Mahadev Temple.
Address: Kophan Monsestary, Nepal.
Opening hours: 9-11:30 AM in the morning and 1-4:30 PM in the evening.
6. Chandragiri: A haven for culture lovers and a respite from nature babies, Chandragiri offers one of the most panoramic views of Kathmandu Valley. In one of the popular stories, it is told that the splendid views from the hilltop left King Ranjit Malla in a bout of tears when he had to leave after a defeat. From here, you can see the Himalayas and even Mount Everest on a clear sky day. Adventure lovers will love to enjoy a trek here with Kathmandu holiday packages.
Address: Chandragiri, Kathmandu, Nepal.
7. Swayambhunath: A popular UNESCO world heritage site in Kathmandu tour, Swayambhunath offers mind blowing views of Kathmandu Valley. The historical site boasts of many temples and has a picture perfect view with prayer flags that are adorned on the temples, stupas and statues here. The best time to visit here is during the early morning hours.
Address: Atop a hill in the Kathmandu Valley.
Price: 200 rupees.
8. Thamel: With a plethora of five star restaurants, shopping places and street food vendors, Thamel is one of the best tourist places in Kathmandu holiday packages.
If you are looking for street wares, there are a number of shops where you can buy souvenirs in Thamel. You should visit Thamel Marg to explore the suburban streets and buy some pray flags and have a cup of delicious Himalayan Java coffee at Mandala Street.
Address: Thamel, Kathmandu.
9. Freak Street: Known for its hippie culture, Freak Street is one of the most visited places by the locals in Kathmandu. It is replete with many souvenir stores and eclectic cafes which makes it a must visit for all the travellers.
Some of the must-try restaurants at Freak Street art Kumari Restaurant and Snowman.Address: Freak Street, Kathmandu Durbar Square.
10. Asan Tole: Get ready to treat yourself with a number of fresh fruits and vegetables at Asan Tole in Kathmandu packages. This is where you can shop for many exotic spices, marigold etc and enjoy the bustling markets of Kathmandu. It is surrounded by many famous temples like Annapurna Temple and the Krishna Temple.
Address: Masa Galli, Kathmandu 44600, Nepal.
11. Langtang National Park: Known for its pristine environs, Langtang National Park is one of the most serene places in Kathmandu tour packages. It is a protected area and encompasses the regions of Nuwakot, Rasuwa and Sindhupalchok.
For nature lovers, Rivers Trishuli and Koshi provide a tranquil respite. It is well-known to be a hotspot for biodiversity and treats everyone with some scenic views. Wildlife enthusiasts can look forward to seeing fauna like red panda, Himalayan black bear, leopard etc.
Address: Langtang National Park, Helambu, 45007, Nepal.
Price: 1800 INR approx.
What are the best things to do in Kathmandu?1. Bargain for a win at Thamel: Known for selling Tibetan prayer flags and bustling with the vintage feel, visiting Thamel is one of the best activities to enjoy in Kathmandu tour packages. The popular things which you can shop here include clothing, paper lanterns, thangka paintings, wood carvings, bronze statues, music and books.
2. Seek blessings of Lord Shiva at Pashupatinath: Considered as one of the most sacred temples for the Hindus, Pashupatinath is buzzing with devotees from all over the Indian subcontinent.
When you are here, you can watch the Hindu rituals and see the ancient practises in the temple along with open-air cremation. It is a nice spot for photography and to seek a spiritual respite in Kathmandu holiday packages.
3. Roam around the streets of Old Kathmandu: Book a walking tour and enjoy wandering in the heart of Old Kathmandu to see the culture of this ancient city. Some of the popular activities covered in this tour are tea tasting, browsing for spices, exploring lesser known temples, knowing about local legends etc.
4. Be a history buff at Durbar Square: This is a place in the ancient old city of Kathmandu where the royal family lived. A popular UNESCO world heritage site, it is a wonderful place to soak in the old world charm in Kathmandu packages, take part in an excellent photography experience or just roam around learning the marvellous history of Kathmandu.
5. Take a cooking class or a painting workshop: Take home the learning of delicious Nepali cuisine by taking a supervised experiential cooking class in Kathmandu. You can also take part in a workshop to learn Buddhist thangka painting. The popular places to learn about it in Kathmandu tour packages are SocialTours' Cook Like a Local Tour, Nepal Cooking School and Backstreet Academy.
6. Climb to the top of Swayambhunath Temple: One of the most prominent Buddhist temples, it can be reached by an exhilarating climb of 365 steps of stone. When you are climbing here, it will be exciting to see a number of monkeys marking their presence.
It is also believed that the monkeys are holy and are formed from the head lice of Buddhist deity Manjushri. When you are here, you can also participate in various ceremonies and chanting sessions.
7. Explore the villages in Kathmandu Valley: Take a break from the noise and pollution of the city of Kathmandu and cherish some serene moments in the villages of Kathmandu Valley.
A paradise for soul-seekers, an escape to the villages of Bungmati and Khokana in Kathmandu Valley will let you enjoy the scenic beauty and find some time to rejuvenate yourself with Kathmandu holiday packages. Here, you can see the folks indulged in farming and selling vintage items which you can buy and keep as a souvenir in your home.
8. Gorge on the local food: There are a number of local delicacies which you must try when you are in Kathmandu. Whether it is street food or dining in the restaurants, foodies will not be disappointed in Kathmandu. While momos are a must-try, other popular delicacies to try here are Chatamari, Choila, Sekuwa, Thukpa, Dal bhat, Sel roti etc.
What are the best adventure activities in Kathmandu?1. Kathmandu Valley Hiking: Explore the most gorgeous scenes of nature with an exhilarating hike to Kathmandu Valley. This activity offers some of the most exhilarating hikes in Kathmandu tour packages like Amitabha Monastery Hike, Kakani Hike, Phulchowki Hike, Nagarkot Hike, Sundarijal Hike, Shivapuri Hike etc. It offers a serene escape for all the travellers to marvel at the beautiful temples, valleys and shrines of Kathmandu.
Biking in the countryside A bike tour is one of the most nerve racing activities in Kathmandu tour packages to explore the panoramic countryside. It will give you a glimpse of many historical towns like Chobar and Kirtipur and help you see many ancient places on the way. This enthralling bike tour is also an excellent way to see the beauty of the Himalayas.
2. Trek to Annapurna Foothills: This is a full day Kathmandu tour which will give you glorious views of the most beautiful villages of Nepal like Dhampus Village, Australian Camp and Phedi. This trek will help you enjoy stunning views of the Himalayas along with the Annapurna range and Fishtail.
3. Go on a hiking tour in Kirtipur: A marvellous way of beating the crowds and witnessing the incredible views of the rolling valleys and the lofty Himalayas, this adventure tour is one of the most serene ways to enjoy Kathmandu tour packages. With this tour, you get to witness the old world charm of Kathmandu’s countryside and enjoy the scenic beauty of Taudaha Lake which boasts of farmlands and rice fields.
How to reach Kathmandu?- By Air: Kathmandu is well-connected by a number of flights from all the major cities around the world. You can opt for any of the airlines like Etihad and Qatar if flying from Middle East, Nepal airlines from India and South East Asia. Thai Airways and Malaysian Airlines also provide easy connectivity to Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu from major cities.
- By Road: You can opt to hire a cab or drive by yourself to reach Kathmandu by road from Gorakhpur or Bhairava.
- By Bus: There are a number of buses connecting Kathmandu from other cities of Nepal like Bhaktapur and Patan. Other direct buses from Indian cities like Gorakhpur and Patna are also available.
What is the best time to visit Kathmandu?The best time to visit Kathmandu is from the month of September to December. This is the best time to explore Kathmandu tour packages as the weather is dry and you can enjoy splendid views of the glaciers and mountains. Many local festivals are organised during this time and you can also indulge in trekking.
Why is Kathmandu known as the city of temples?The landscape of Kathmandu is filled with a number of temples which are known for their splendid Newari architecture, Hindu shrines and Buddhist Stupas. The number of temples which are World heritage sites inciting curiosity of all the cultural travellers has given the title of ‘City of Temples’ to Kathmandu.
Do I need a visa to travel to Kathmandu?-For Indians: Indians traveling to or from Nepal on Kathmandu tour packages do not need a visa. However, they are required to either hold their passport or carry valid identity proofs issued by the government of India.
-For Foreigners: For foreigners, it is mandatory to have a valid visa for booking Kathmandu packages.
Is a passport required for Kathmandu?- For Indians: No, Indian tourists are not required to carry a passport/visa to enjoy Kathmandu tour packages. A simple ID Proof like Aadhaar Card or Voter ID card can do the work.
- For Foreigners: For foreigners from any other nation barring India, it is mandatory to have their passports for entering Nepal.
Is Indian currency accepted in Kathmandu?Yes, Indian currency is accepted in Kathmandu. However, you need to make sure that you are carrying currency of INR 100 or below.
How old is Kathmandu?According to the archaeologists, it is considered that Kathmandu is more than 2000 years old. It is believed that it was founded in 723 AD by Raja Gunakamadeva and later ruled by the Licchavi kingdom. From 1768 to 2008, Kathmandu served as the seat of the ruling Shah family.
Are there any casinos in Kathmandu?Yes, there are some very famous casinos in Kathmandu such as Casino Royale, Casino Mahjong, The Millionaire’s Club, and Casino, etc that you should include in your Kathmandu packages.
Is Kathmandu safe?Yes, Kathmandu is a safe city for the tourists for international visitors as people are pleasant and welcome tourists. However, you should always take precautions and avoid any unnecessary situations that can potentially harm your safety.
Is Kathmandu worth visiting?Kathmandu is worth visiting to enjoy the old world charm and its scenic beauty. It has many ancient temples and stupas which will catch your attention. It is a delight for the foodies with a number of Tibetan delicacies and many scenic escapades which you can enjoy by trekking and hiking in Kathmandu Valley.
Which are the famous historical places to visit in Kathmandu?1. Pashupatinath Temple: It is one of the abodes of cultural destinations that Kathmandu is famous for. You can enjoy tranquility and peace within the temple and find an inner conscience.
2. Kathmandu Durbar Square: It is one of the most important cultural hotspots in Kathmandu and the ancient kings ruled the city from this place. It is one of the hotspots for a variety of gods and goddesses.
3. Boudhanath Stupa: It is one of the world heritage sites that get millions of visitors every year.
4. Swayambhunath Temple: If you like seeing the architectural splendor in ancient temples then this should be in your itinerary. This temple boasts beautifully crafted designs and sculptures of gods and goddesses.
5. Garden of Dreams: It is located just within walking distance of Kaiser Mahal Palace. It has beautiful gardens, pavilions, and walking alleys that are going to leave you spellbound.
Is Kathmandu expensive?Kathmandu is not a very expensive city to visit for tourism. The cost of a package for a single person for one week approximately NPR 40,000(USD 340/INR 25000). While food can be enjoyed for a daily expense of NPR 800-1000 (USD 6-10/ INR 500-630), the cost of local transportation ranges between NPR 200-300 (USD 1.70 to 2.50/ INR 125 to 200).
Which are the best places to stay in Kathmandu?1. Hotel Shanker: It is situated just near to the Narayanhiti museum. It is equipped with all the modern amenities such as a swimming pool, spa. For the dining menu, you can get a wide range of exotic menus.
2. Kathmandu Boutique Hotel:It is situated just 1 km from the famous Kathmandu Durbar Square. Catering to a wide spectrum of international guests it has a 24 hours customer service front desk. All the rooms are equipped with free wifi.
3. Hotel Jampa: This luxurious hotel is situated in Thamel. All the rooms in the hotel are air-conditioned and come with free wifi. The other landmarks such as Durbar Square and Swayambhunath Temple are a few kilometers away.
4. Kathmandu Eco Hotel: This hotel is also situated in Thamel and has private bathrooms. The main attraction about the hotel is the rooftop area that has the dining area which gives a spectacular view around the city.
5. Oasis Kathmandu Hotel: It is situated in the heart of Thamel and all the rooms are luxuriously equipped with all the modern amenities. It is one of the best places to enjoy your vacation with friends and family.
Can I do the Everest Base Camp Trek? How difficult is it?
It all comes down to ‘are you fit enough to take the challenge?’ Everest base camp does not require technical climbing, it is mainly a long hike. However, a novice hiker may panic or fall sick if not acclimatised properly. It is a vigorous trek and can be reached on a several week-long itinerary. The common route takes through the Khumbu Valley from Lukla to Base Camp and back again. If you are fit to walk uphill for 4 to 5 hours a day and believe that the acute oxygen situation can be handled like a pro then you must take this experience.
Which are the top camping experiences in Kathmandu?
As good as the land is for trekking, most of the trekking trip may require you to set a camp overnight. Setting a camp or staying in a camping accommodation is a bliss in and around Kathmandu. Listed below are some of the best camping experience in the Kathmandu region which are mostly included in the Kathmandu tour packages themed on adventure and thrill.
- Upper Mustang trek and camping experience
- Annapurna Base camp trek
- Ghorepani to Ghandruk
- Everest Base Camp trek experience
- Langtang Valley trek
- Tamang Heritage Trek
- Helambu trek experience
- Manasalu circuit trek experience
- Langtang circuit trek experience