Activities to Do in CairoVisit Giza Plateau, Take a visit to Great Sphinx of Giza, Take blessing at Cairo Citadel, Explore Sakkara Pyramids, Camel rides at Giza Pyramid, Visit Coptic Cairo and Babylon, Explore Egyptian Museum of Antiquities and many more
There are tons of enthralling things to do in Cairo to recharge your soul and have happy experiences imprinted in your mind. These activities guarantee you soulful experiences that satisfy not just your sensibilities but also your senses. If you wish to know about Cairo's bygone era, you can visit the Giza Plateau, which is one of the tallest buildings in the world. For a closer look into the culture and historical achievements of this city, you can visit Coptic Cairo and Babylon, where 'the grace of the past meets the splendour of the future.
Attending the light and sound show at Giza Pyramids is considered one of the best activities to do in Cairo. If you're a romantic soul, you can enjoy a concert at Cairo Opera House and watch a romantic movie at Balmore. If you're a shopping enthusiast, you must go on a shopping spree at Khan el-Khalili Bazaar, the largest gold and silver market in Egypt.
If you're still confused about what to do in Cairo, Egypt, you can climb the Minaret at Bab Zuweila to have the best experience of your life. You can also take blessing at Cairo Citadel; the feeling of contentment is guaranteed to all who make their way here.
Places to Visit and Things to Do in Cairo
People Also Ask About Cairo Things To Do
Which are the best things to do in Cairo?
1. Visit Giza Plateau: If you're looking for the best things to do in Cairo, you should visit Giza Plateau, which is one of the tallest buildings in the world. The pyramids have been built as tombs for Egypt's pharaohs. Giza Plateau comprises a barren area of sandy desert with three Pyramids of Giza and the enigmatic Great Sphinx sculpture.
This plateau also houses a worker's village, temples, and the Sphinx.
Location: Giza Plateau, Nazlet El-Semman, Al Haram, Giza Governorate, Egypt, Cairo
Price: Rs 607 per person
Timings : 7 am- 7 pm
2. Take a visit to Great Sphinx of Giza: If you're a history buff, you should definitely visit the Great Sphinx of Giza that is a colossal limestone statue located on the Giza Plateau. It is a mythical creature comprising the body of a lion with a pharaoh's head. The Great Sphinx is known to be the largest sculpture in the world, measuring around 240 feet long and 66 feet high.
The entire statue has been carved beautifully from a single piece of limestone, and there are hidden chambers underneath the Sphinx.
Location: Al-Haram, Giza, Giza Governorate
Price: Rs 1822
Timings: 8 am- 4 pm
3. Take blessing at Cairo Citadel: Seeking Allah's blessing at Cairo Citadel is considered one of the best activities to do in Cairo. Cairo Citadel is a medieval Islamic-era fortification that comprises three mosques inside: Al-Nasir Muhammad Mosque, the Mosque of Sulayman Pasha, and Alabaster Mosque.
Earlier, it functioned as an illustrious home, as a military sleeping shelter, and a home for Egypt's rulers for seven hundred years. It is perched on Mokattam Hill and offers breathtaking views to its visitors.
Location: Al Abageyah, Qesm Al Khalifah
Price: Rs 465.21
Timings: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
4. Explore Sakkara Pyramids: Exploring Sakkara Pyramids is considered one of the best things to do in Cairo as it will transport you in a world full of relaxation, adventure, and ecstasy. It is the most popular archaeological site comprising important monuments such as the Step Pyramid of Djoser.
Pyramids at Saqqara are also known as step pyramids as they are smaller in size and distinctively unique in their appearance. It has a vast courtyard, and it is surrounded by many ceremonial structures.
Location: Saqqara, 12919, Giza Governorate
Price: Rs 607
Timings: 8 am- 5 pm
5. Camel rides at Giza Pyramid: Riding camels at Giza Pyramids at sunset is considered a quintessential experience that you must add to your Egyptian vacation. While enjoying the ride, you can watch the sunset and appreciate the breathtaking views of the pyramid.
Led by a Bedouin guide, you'll make your way into the vast desert and pass through a village where you can see how the local people live.
Location: Cairo, Cairo Governorate
Price: Rs 2920
Timings: There are different slots
6. Visit Coptic Cairo and Babylon: Your trip to Egypt won't be complete if you don't visit Coptic Cairo and Babylon that are popular historical landmarks. Babylon Fortress is a huge castle located in the Delta region of Egypt, in an area known as Coptic Cairo.
Within the fortress's enclosure, you'll find many popular attractions, including the Church of St. George that dates back to the tenth century, the Hanging Church, and the Coptic Museum, which houses the largest collection of Christian artifacts.
Location: Cairo, Cairo Governorate
Price: Rs 303
Timings: 9 am- 4:30 pm
7. Explore Egyptian Museum of Antiquities: If you're an art aficionado, you're in for a treat at the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities that houses an extensive collection of Egyptian antiquities. It exhibits the largest collection of Pharaonic antiquities and two gold and ivory bracelets that were recovered from Tutankhamen's tomb.
The most striking part of the museum is the Royal Mummy Room that displays eleven mummies, including the mummy of Hatshepsut.
Location: Midan El Tahrir Geographical Society Building, Cairo 11511 Egypt
Price: Rs 510 per person
Timings: 9 am- 5 pm
8. Shop at Khan el-Khalili Bazaar: One of the most fun activities to do in Cairo is going on a shopping spree at Khan el-Khalili Bazaar. It is home to the largest silver and gold market in Egypt and is lined with shops selling new and antique necklaces, earrings, trinkets, and bracelets.
The souk market also comprises a spice market, a perfume market, and a footwear market. This open-air bazaar is also dotted with many cafes, clothes shops, and restaurants.
Location: Cairo, Cairo Governorate
Timings: 8 am- 8 pm
9. Enjoy at Al-Azhar Park: If you're looking for one of the best things to do in Cairo to refresh your tired body and mind, you should visit Al-Azhar Park, known to be the city's green lungs. It sprawls across thirty acres and is surrounded by the most significant and historic districts of Cairo city.
The park has been brilliantly designed in a tree's shape, with its roots grounding into the neighborhood nearby. It is dotted with wellsprings, amusement territories, eateries, and manicured gardens.
Location: Salah Salem St, El-Darb El-Ahmar, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Price: Rs 38
Timings: 9 am-11:59 pm
10. Felucca Ride on the Nile: One of the best activities to do in Cairo is enjoying a Felucca ride on the Nile River. The Egyptian Pharaohs used to sail on the River Nile on Felucca in the ancient era, and now it has been transformed into an adventurous activity.
During this hour-long drive, you'll witness several attractions such as the Botanical Gardens and Elephantine Island. You can party on the boat with the crew, enjoy cocktails and drinks and relish lip-smacking food.
Location: Cairo, 15662, Cairo Governorate
Price: Rs 3073 per person
Timings: There are different slots
11. Party at Zamalek: Partying at Zamalek is considered one of the best activities to do in Cairo for unlimited fun and entertainment. Zamalek will take you back to the golden era of classical fashion, elegance, and twist and shout. It is Cairo's party hub, lined by a variety of bars, pubs, and restaurants.
This party district also houses various art galleries, museums, and opera houses. Some of the international hotels, such as Hilton Cairo and Cairo Marriott, are situated in downtown Zamalek.
Location: Cairo, Egypt
12. Visit cave churches: One of the most interesting things to do in Cairo is visiting cave churches that look, although they're suspended in mid-air. These churches have been built by minority Coptic Christians at the foot of Mokattam Mountain.
The Monastery of St. Simon The Tame is the most popular and largest church in Mokattam Hill, with an amphitheater that can accommodate up to twenty thousand devotees. Other churches include St. Mark's Church, St. Simon the Tanner's Hall, and St. Bola's Church.
Location: Al Abageyah, Qism El-Khalifa, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Timings: 10- am- 6 pm
13. Witness whirling Sufi dervishes: Revisit the Sufi era by enjoying the performance of whirling Sufi dervishes across the city at Ghouri Arts Center. Whirling Dervishes are the members of the Mawlaya section of Sufis and are followers of a semi-mystical Islamic branch.
Through mysterious and elegant twists and turns, the mystics and dancers find a connection with divinity. The whirling Sufi dervishes also perform in the famous hotels, cruises, and weddings of Cairo.
Location: 3 Mohamed Abdo St, El Ghoria, Mu??faz?at al Q?hirah, Egypt
Price: Rs 2986
Timings: There are different slots
14. Climb the Minaret at Bab Zuweila: If you're an adventure enthusiast thinking about what to do in Cairo, Egypt, climbing the Minaret at Bab Zuweila should be your ideal option. Bab Zuweila is a major landmark in Cairo featuring two minarets which you can climb to have a splendid view of Islamic Cairo.
There are three levels with no elevators and, although stairs to the first level are relatively easier to ascend, the heights of levels 2 & 3 make it difficult to climb to the top.
Location: Darb el Ahmar, Cairo 11511 Egypt
Price: Rs 152
Timings: 9 am-5 pm
What are the best things to do in Cairo at night?
1. Enjoy A Dinner Cruise: If you're confused about what to do in Cairo, Egypt enjoying a dinner cruise should be your ideal choice. While being on board a Nile cruise, you will enjoy fascinating belly dancing shows and traditional musical shows.
2. The Sound and Light Show at Giza Pyramids: One of the best things to do in Cairo at night is attending the sound and light show at Giza Pyramids. During this forty minutes show, the Sphinx will reveal uncountable mysteries about ancient Egyptians. You will hear stories about King Khafre, Menquare, Khufu, and the three Egyptian Pharaohs.
3. Enjoy Night Shopping: Shopping at Khan El-Khalili Bazaar is considered one of the best things to do in Cairo in the wee hours. This open-air market houses tons of stores, cafes, shops, and restaurants where you will find some of the best perfumes, gifts, antiques, and papyrus.
4. Drink, dance and party at Vent: If you're a night owl looking to have the best of fun and entertainment, you should party endlessly with your friends at Vent. You can enjoy cocktails, delicious grub, and live music.
What are the romantic things to do in Cairo?
1. Enjoy a concert at Cairo Opera House: One of the best things to do in Cairo with your partner is to enjoy a musical evening at Cairo Opera House that is the central performing arts spot in Cairo. You can also enjoy ballet, dance, theatre performances, and dramas.
2. Watch a romantic movie at Balcone: One of the most romantic things to do in Cairo is watching an interesting movie with your better half at Balcone. It has cozy seats and a charming ambiance where you can spend some intimate moments with your partner.
3. Stroll along Qasr El-Nil Bridge: One of the most romantic activities to do in Cairo is taking a romantic stroll along Qasr El-Nil Bridge. At the end of the bridge stands the four famous lion statues sculpted by Henri Alfred Jacquemart in the nineteenth century.
4. Enjoy a dinner date at Left Bank: Your romantic tale won't be complete if you don't have a dinner date at Left Bank, which is a rooftop restaurant in Zamalek.
Which are the best historical sites in Cairo?
1. Pyramids of Gaza: One of the best activities to do in Cairo is visiting the Pyramids of Gaza, the oldest of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world. It consists of the Great Pyramid, the smaller Pyramid of Khafre, and the modest-sized Pyramid of Menkaure.
2. Mosque And Madrasa Of Sultan Hassan: This is the oldest mosque in Egypt that exhibits ancient Mamluk architecture and breathtaking design. Its tallest minaret is sixty-eight meters tall, and the historians believe that stones used to build the Pyramids of Giza have been used to construct this mosque.
3. Saladin Castle: Saladin Castle is a huge solid fortress located in high mountainous terrains on a ridge surrounded by lush green forests. The castle includes four other museums, namely Carriage Museum, Al-Gawhara Palace museum, The Egyptian Police Museum, and the Egyptian Military museum.
How to reach Cairo?
By Air: Cairo International Airport is the main airport in Cairo that receives flights from all across the world. The airport is well served by national carrier Egyptair and international carriers including Lufthansa, Air France, Singapore Airlines, Alitalia, etc.
By Train: The Egyptian railway network connects all the major cities of the country. There is also a railway starting from South Africa and covering countries like Zimbabwe to Cairo, Egypt. Cairo also has two metros that take people to just any stop around the city.
By Bus: From the standard mini buses to the microbuses run by Private companies, Cairo has good bus connectivity.
What is the best time to visit Cairo?
March to April (Shoulder season) is considered the best time to visit Cairo as the weather remains pleasant and the entire area is covered with lush greenery. During this time, most of the winter crowds have left, and the city remains empty and relaxed.
Can you go inside the Sphinx?
No, you can't go inside the Sphinx, neither can you touch it as it has no entrance. The walkway steps located on one side of the Sphinx are considered the best place for taking photos.
What is Cairo known for?
It is an open-air market renowned for selling cotton and jewelry items.
Pyramids of Giza
It is the largest and oldest of the three pyramids in Giza Necropolis.
This is an Egyptian mosque renowned for its stunning architecture and design.
This is a public park in Cairo spread across thirty hectares.
If you're confused about what to do in Cairo, Egypt, you should visit the fascinating museums, such as the Coptic Museum and the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities.
These are members of a Sufi fraternity that perform Sufi whirling.
This is the traditional breakfast made with fava beans, chopped parsley, onion, and lemon juice.
How much does a trip to Cairo cost?
A trip to Cairo for one week will cost around Rs 273,830 for one person, including accommodation, food, and flight charges. The average cost of meals in Cairo is somewhere around Rs 5333 for one day. Also, the average hotel price for a couple is around 51,000 for one week.
How many days do you need in Cairo?
Two days are enough to explore Cairo.
- On the first day, you can visit the Pyramids of Giza, the Egyptian Museum, and Coptic Cairo, which houses the Babylon Fortress.
- On the second day, you can explore the Pyramids of Sakkara, Khan el-Khalili, and Al-Azhar Park.