About Yelagiri Forest Hill
Yelagiri Forest hill is a hillside conservation containment with beautiful scenic hiking trails and marked temples. Sometimes referred as Elagiri hills by tourists, the hilly terrain of Yelagiri Forest hills spreads across an area of 30 square kilometres and stands at an altitude of 1110.6 metres above the sea level.
The astounding beauty of the Yelagiri Forest hills arises from the numerous rose laden gardens, orchards, and sprawling green valleys across the landscape.The recent development in sports activities at the hills has made the Yelagiri forest hills a blooming hotspot destination for tourists.
The hilly valley is also surrounded by the Swamimalai Hill, standing as the tallest in the entire range of hills around the valley. The Yelagiri Forest hills are a favourite for trekkers and locals, who enjoy the display of beauty around them. It is known that Yelagiri Forest hill is home to a hundred different species of snakes.
For those who visit the Yelagiri Forest hills during May, an annual Yelagiri Summer festival awaits their presence. During this festival, a number of flower and dog shows are organised for the entertainment of the visitors and local people. This three day event is organised to promote tourism and cultural aspects of the region.
A number of temples and local accommodations can be found scattered all along the region. This trending forest conservation locality has welcomed many adventure enthusiasts to its calm and serene surroundings and promising tranquility.
How to Reach Yelagiri Forest Hill
The closest bus stand from Yelagiri Forest hills is the Athanavoor Bus stop which lies at a distance of 2.8 km from the destination and can be reached in under 10 minutes by bus from the stand. It is also one of the easiest ways for the local people and tourists to reach the hill station.
Best Time to Visit Yelagiri Forest Hill
The monsoon season from July to November is regarded as the best time to visit the hill station and enjoy the cool weather. Here is a season wise break about the best time to visit the forest hill.
Monsoon season: The months from July to November marks the highest rainfall in the region and provides one of the best time for travellers to visit the hills since the temperatures are really cool at this time.
Winter season: The season lasts from December to March, during which time, the rainfall is fairly less and the weather takes a dip.
Summer: The months from April to June are the hottest at the hill station, with the highest recorded temperature reached 32 degrees during the day.
What Not to Miss at Yelagiri Forest Hill
1. Thrill Valley: If you are looking for an adventure retreat option near Yelagiri hills, the thrill valley is one of the most frequented spots by tourists. Over here, you will be able to enjoy some thrilling activities like Kid’s rope, Bonfire and BBQ, Darting, Zip lining, target shooting, trampoline and much more.
2. Murugan Temple: This temple is located at the highest peak in Yelagiri, and is a frequent tourist spot. The temple is dedicated to Lord Murugan and is worshipped majorly by the Hindu population. It is known that the bells in the temple ring only at a certain time of the day, which is when most of the pilgrims visit the temple. The surrounding valley around the temple is a sight to behold.
3. Fundera park: Apart from trekking and enjoying the climate at Yelagiri, nature lovers can head to this park, which offers an exciting retreat to the visitors. There is a small boating facility at the park which can be enjoyed by children and adults. The surrounding environs are quite peaceful for resting and grabbing some time off.
4. Yelagiri Boathouse: The boathouse is one of the few popular places in Yelagiri that tourists love to visit. As the name suggests, the boathouse is a must-visit place for anyone who likes to take a ride around the peaceful surroundings of this valley and explore the other side of nature. The prices for each ride are quite reasonable and tickets can be bought on the spot at the destination.
5. Zeenath Taj Gardens: One of the best weekend getaway options for tourists, these gardens are a sprawling beauty of greenery that grabs your imagination and makes you enjoy the abundance of natural beauty at this place. This 11-acre estate is a must-visit attraction near Yelagiri.
Things To Do at Yelagiri Forest Hill
1. Camping: One of the most popular things to do while you are visiting the Yelagiri Forest hills is to camp among its expansive stretch of green land and experience a bounty of joy and fun while relaxing in the natural beauty. You can easily set camp amidst the sprawling wilderness and rest in the laps of nature.
2. Enjoy sports activities: There are many sports activities that you can enjoy while visiting the Yelagiri Forest hills. From playing human slingshot to climbing man made walls, paintball and rope rides, there are so many activities that you can indulge in, while visiting this heavenly abode.
3. Take a trekking trip: If you are one for adventure, you can always enjoy trekking at the peaks around the forest hill. These peaks are not as such challenging for those who are experienced at trekking. You can always pack your gear modestly and embark on a trekking expedition while you take in the scenery around you.
4. Enjoy mountain buggy ride and dirt carting: Another adventurous activity that you can indulge in, while you are at the Yelagiri Forest hill is dirt carting and buggy rides. It is a highly preferred sports activity by young boys and girls.
Other Essential Information About Yelagiri Forest Hill
- Location: Vallipattu, Tamil Nadu 635853
- Timings: The Yelagiri Forest hills are open from 9:30 AM in the morning and remain open till 5:30 PM in the evening on all days of the week.
- Phone: 070100 91883
Places to Eat in and near Yelagiri Forest Hill
1. Nilgress restaurant: Located at Kottaiyur Post, the restaurant stays open from 7 in the morning till 10 at night. An average meal for two costs Rs 300 at this place which is why it is frequented by most tourists.. The restaurant has a stark reputation for clean and hygienic surroundings and prompt serving and along with the variety of food to relish at this place, you will be left with a memorable experience of this place.
2. Lakeview restaurant: This place is located in Athanavur and operates between 7 in the morning and 11 in the night. A typical meal for two costs Rs 400 at this place. The restaurant faces the Punganoor lake, which provides a scenic view and edge to the seating order. The food here is not regarded to be the best so if that is one of your main focus, you may want to pick another place.
3. Peters Park restaurant: This place is located within the Peters Park hotel and operates in shifts during the day. The meal prices here are decent and economic. The staff here is quite polite. All in all, this is a good place to choose for a meal.
4. Landmark restaurant: This restaurant is located opposite the Murugan temple on the Bhandarpule road. The operating timings of the restaurant are divided into two shifts and meals served here will easily fit your budget. This place is famous for a variety of meals which are served here. The Tandoori platter options and south Indian dishes are most famous at this place.
Tips Before Visiting Yelagiri Forest Hill
1. Always carry the requisite medicines with you while visiting the hill station. You may not be able to find any pharmaceutical shops near the hill station.
2. Always carry some knick-knack food items and water with you while trekking at the hill station.
3. You will need one full day to visit Yelagiri and places around the hill station.
4. While visiting the hill station, make sure that you hire only licensed guides for activities like paragliding.
5. The best time to visit the hill station is during the monsoon season so you must plan your trip accordingly.