About Maldives Glowing Beach
The Maldives Glowing Beach is situated at the Mudhdhoo Island, also known as the Vaadhoo Island in Raa Atoll. Beach is one of the most visited tourist destinations in these islands, mostly known for its phenomenal fluorescent, glowing waves. This natural phenomenon occurs due to the presence of millions of marine microbes known as phytoplankton in the water.
This phytoplankton is bioluminescent and as the skies get darker after sunset, these microscopic planktons emit a bright vibrant blue light in the water which creates an ethereal effect. This phenomenon makes the waves glow as they gently splash over the beach and is the ideal place to spend your time after sundown in the Maldives. The best time to visit the Glowing Beach is between June and October when the sea remains comparatively warmer due to the summer season. The warm, tropical, coastal weather is the perfect condition for the planktons to thrive and glow brightly.
There are other exciting recreational activities like scuba diving and snorkelling that take place on this beach, during which you can interact closely with the rich and colourful marine life that thrives on this beach and in the water. The beach is also ideal for picnics, events, romantic walks and dinners, water sports and other activities that make your trip to the beach exceptional and memorable.
Also Read: 55 Resorts in Maldives
How to Reach Maldives Glowing BeachLocation: The Glowing Beach is situated at Mudhdhoo Island in the Maldives, also known as Vaadhoo Island. This beach is part of Vaadhoo Island, which is one of the islands in Raa Atoll.
Best Time to Visit Maldives Glowing Beach
The best time to visit the Glowing beach of Maldives is between June and October. You should preferably visit the place five days after the full moon from mid-May when the skies are dark during the warm summer months and the glowing effect becomes more pronounced. Some visitors might also find the months between July to December more suitable for a visit since there is very little moonlight and the bioluminescent waves look even brighter creating a magical effect. This is also the time when the influx of tourists is much less so that you can enjoy the experience in solitude.
Suggested Read: 55 Places To Visit in Maldives
What Not to Miss at Maldives Glowing Beach
1. Enjoy A Romantic Candlelight Dinner at Soneva Fushi: A romantic dinner under the open-air, starlit sky in the gorgeous beach at Soneva Fushi is the perfect way to spend your time in Glowing Beach. They have some of the best local barbecue and wine selection to make the experience even better.
2. Stay in A Water Bungalow Like Cheval Blanc Randheli
3. Spend a romantic vacation at Cheval Blanc Randheli Resort in Maldives and lose yourself to the enthralling beauty and tranquillity of the sparkling blue waters merging with the blue sky, while you watch a picturesque sunset from your resort.
4. Relax on the white-sand beach at Hulhumale Beach
5. Hulhumale Beach is the perfect getaway from the chaos of city living. Simply unwinding on the soft white sand beaches and watching the waves of the Indian Ocean is one of the best things to do here.
6. Enjoy a helicopter ride over the islands in the Maldives.
7. Hitching a ride on a sea-plane or a helicopter ride over the picturesque Maldives Islands is one of the best things to do here. You can catch a bird’s eye view of the islands and take in the tropical vegetation that makes the terrain so striking and breathtaking.
8. Enjoy Scuba Diving at Maafushi
9. Scuba diving is one of the most exciting and popular underwater recreational activities that you can enjoy here. There are several diving points in the area along with professional diving instructors to make the experience memorable and enjoyable for you.
Check Out: 51 Water Villas in Maldives
Other Essential Information About Maldives Glowing Beach
Timings: The beach is open 24 hours of the day, every day of the week.
The best time to visit the Glowing Beach is between the months of June and October. The tropical weather and the warm summer months are the perfect natural condition for the phytoplankton to glow brightly in the seawater.
Price (for locals and for foreigners): Free entry
Must Read: 50 Things to do in Maldives
Tips for Visiting Maldives Glowing Beach
The Glowing Beach in Mudhdhoo Island, Maldives, is one of the most amazing tourist destinations in the world. To enjoy this phenomenal natural occurrence, it is important to keep a few tips in mind to make the most of this once-in-a-lifetime experience:
1. Do bring along your best cameras or smartphones to capture the moment
2. The temperatures might plunge during the night at the beach, so carry a thick sweater or jacket to keep the strong winds and cold temperature at bay
3. Make sure to book your trips in advance if you are planning to travel between June and October. The warm summer months are the best time to visit the glowing beach and therefore, is also the peak tourist season
4. Carry comfortable swimwear and slippers with a good grip, suitable for water sports and strolling on the beach
5. It is important to carry essential skin lotions and sunscreens while you relax on the beach during daytime
Planning a trip to Maldives, check out: Best Maldives Tour Packages
What’s the secret behind the glow?While the phenomenon might look magical, the glow in the glowing beach is nothing but a miracle of nature, a scientific occurrence that creates this stunning effect. The “secret” is essentially the process called “bioluminescence” in which emission of bluish-green light from the living marine micro-organisms in the ocean is seen. These microorganisms are called phytoplankton.
These microbes contain luciferin, which when reacts with oxygen, produces a glowing effect known as bioluminescence. The ocean-waters on this beach are saturated with these particular planktons. During night time, the light energy produced in their bodies becomes visible and with the movement of the waves, becomes even more pronounced when you watch them.
Also Checkout: 55 Best Maldives Honeymoon Packages