There are no public transport options linking Koggala Beach to the Galle Airport. The only way to reach the Beach from the Airport is to take a cab or a taxi.
The Beach is located around 25 kilometers away from the airport, and the ride takes around 15 minutes.
The Koggala region in Sri Lanka has pretty consistent weather across the year. However, the best time to visit the Beach would be between the months of May and December.
During this time, the weather remains pleasant and suitable for outdoor beach activities. Precipitation during this time is less, if not completely absent.
Location: South coast of Sri Lanka.
Timings: The beach remains open 24 hours a day.
1. Koggala Beach Hotel:
Boasting open views of the Indian Ocean, this beachfront hotel offers a luxury stay for its guests. The well-furnished rooms here are fitted with the best modern amenities, including LED television sets, mini-refrigerators, air conditioning and more.
The hotel also has a swimming pool and a terrace lounge. The Poolside Bar is a popular facility here, with an expansive cocktail menu. Koggala Beach Hotel also boasts of a restaurant of its own, offering authentic Sri Lankan relishes.
Address: Beach Hotel, Matara Rd, Koggala 80000, Sri Lanka
2. The Long Beach Resort and Spa: Boasting marvellous views of the open coastline, the Long Beach Resort offers well-fitted rooms with views of the beach or gardens. Apart from its multiple outdoor swimming pools, the hotel also offers spa facilities for its guests.
Long Beach Resort also houses a café and a restaurant of its own, offering a number of dining options. Along with that, the Pool Bar and Lounge Bar at the resort is a delight for cocktail enthusiasts.
Address: The Long Beach Resort, Matara Rd, Koggala 80000, Sri Lanka
3. The Fortress Resort and Spa: Overlooking the sandy stretch of Galle Beach, The Fortress is a luxury resort offering a stylish and sophisticated stay experience to its guests. The 53 suites and guest rooms here are all designed to provide the most opulent stay and are fitted with the best amenities.
Some of the rooms are even fitted with a private garden and patio of their own. The resort houses four separate beachfront restaurants on its premises, each offering a number of delightful delicacies.
The Fortress Resort also boasts of an infinity swimming pool in the heart of the ocean, where one can lounge in the open surrounded by the rolling waves of the sea.
Address: Koggala, Habaraduwa, Galle 80000, Sri Lanka
4. Koggala Village Club: Offering a budget-friendly stay in the heart of the ocean, the Koggala Village Club offers a number of ocean view bungalows and rooms. The resort has a swimming pool of its own, surrounded by vast, green lawns on all sides.
The restaurant here offers a wide selection of dishes across Sri Lankan and international cuisine and prides in its variety of Sri Lankan classics.
Address: Village Club, Matara Rd, Koggala 80000, Sri Lanka
1. Surf n Turf: An inconspicuous gem hidden away in the folds of Koggala, Surf n Turf is a seafood joint serving brunch, lunch and dinner. The menu here boasts of a wide variety of seafood preparations made from the freshest catch.
The casual, laid back ambience at Surf n Turf, with its funky wall art and indie playlist, makes it a popular choice among tourists and locals alike.
2. Restaurant Patty Place: Known for its seafood fares, Restaurant Patty Place prides of it's selection of fine dining dishes made from materials sourced directly from the fishermen of Koggala.
This roadside diner is known for its value for money, serving large portions at reasonable prices. Patty Place also offers a number of vegan and vegetarian options.
3. Stick Fishermen View Restaurant: A casual diner serving Asian dishes, Stick Fishermen View Restaurant serves authentic Still Lankan seafood dishes at reasonable prices.
The portions served here are considerably large, and the restaurant is especially well known for its prawn and crab preparations.
4. The Handsome Sardine Beach Club: With its outdoor dining space, this beachfront restaurant offers a fine dining experience against the backdrop of the open sea.
Apart from its delectable seafood wares, the restaurant also boasts a comprehensive cocktail menu. The lazy atmosphere that pervades The Handsome Sardine makes it one of the most frequented food joints in the place.
- Location: Matara Rd, Habaraduwa 80630, Sri Lanka
- Timings: Remains closed on Mondays. Remains open between 10.30 AM to 06.00 PM on all other days of the week.
1. Do not litter the water or the sand on the beach.
2. Always remember to carry your beach essentials- such as hats, sunscreen, sunglasses- while visiting the beach area.
3. Dress comfortably while visiting the beach. Light, cotton clothing is recommended.
4. Avoid exposure to direct sunlight.
5. Watch out for the rare species of turtles that can sometimes be spotted here.
6. Visiting the beach between March to August is highly recommended, as there is a higher chance of spotting whales and dolphins during this season.
7. If you are an adventure enthusiast, do not miss out on the diving, snorkelling and surfing opportunities that Koggala has to offer