About Koggala Beach
The rich marine life of the Sri Lankan waters in this region also provides a perfect diving and snorkeling opportunity. Windsurfing and Kitesurfing activities can also be enjoyed here.
The scenic beach is an ideal locale to observe the stilt fisherman at work. These traditional fishermen, indeginous to the country, practice their art in a unique method and style, and are a sight to behold if never seen before.
How to Reach Koggala Beach
There are no public transport options linking Koggala Beach to the Galle Airport. The only way to reach the Beach from the Airport is to take a cab or a taxi.
The Beach is located around 25 kilometers away from the airport, and the ride takes around 15 minutes.
Best Time to Visit Koggala Beach
The Koggala region in Sri Lanka has pretty consistent weather across the year. However, the best time to visit the Beach would be between the months of May and December.
During this time, the weather remains pleasant and suitable for outdoor beach activities. Precipitation during this time is less, if not completely absent.
What Not to Miss at Koggala Beach
Here is the list of few things to do at Koggala Beach:
1. Surfing: Koggala Beach is one of the most popular surfing spots in Sri Lanka. The ideal spot to surf here would be between the stretch of Ahangama to Midigama. The beach here offers short but very powerful beachbreaks towards the right.
The strong undercurrents of the water in this region, along with its medium cross-onshore conditions, makes this area a suitable surf spot for advanced and experienced surfers. The quality of the wave break is normal and frequent.
While surfing here, one might also spot a number of sea turtles or even white sea sharks.
The coral gardens, sea turtles and the colorful fishes offer a splendid underwater scene to behold. If you are untaught in the basics and rules of snorkeling, do not worry- there are a number of different snorkeling schools along the stretch of Koggala Beach to assist you in the same.
It houses a number of historical artifacts, from Buddhist artifacts to those detailing the growth and development of agriculture and other local industries in the country. The house is surrounded by a lush, landscaped garden, consisting of a number of indigenous trees and shrubs abounding in bird life.
- Address: Galle - Matara Main Road, Koggala, Galle 80000, Sri Lanka
4. Witness the Stilt Fishermen at work: Stilt fishing is a style of fishing unique to Sri Lanka. In this method of fishing, fishermen sit perched on cross bars made out of bamboo poles and twine as they dangle fishing rods to the schools of fishes hidden in the water below.
The practice of stilt fishing, dwindling fast, is a sight worth watching, and can be witnessed first hand from the beaches of Koggala.
The plantation offers tours across its rich green fields to allow visitors to examine the cultivation of tea up close. They can also arrange for tours in SUV sedans upon request. To heighten the sense of fun, you can choose to take a tour of the plantation on the back of their domesticated horse called Attorney.
- Address: Handunugoda Rd, Ahangama, Sri Lanka
Places to Visit Near Koggala Beach
1. Koggala Lake: A lagoon situated near the Beach, the Koggala Lake is one of the most serene corners of the country. Abounding in rich plant and marine life, the Koggala Lake is embellished with eight small scattered islands.
The island consists of lush mangrove swamps which serve as nurseries for various species of fish, as well as a number of creatures such as barnacles or oysters.
The magnanimous fort, with the adjacent lighthouse, is a monument of splendid architectural brilliance. The sprawling gardens that surround it also offer a scenic picnic spot, where visitors can lounge and enjoy the waves of the Indian Ocean as they crash against the historical Fort.
3. Japanese Peace Pagoda: Rising prominently above the trees of the Rumassala Hill, the Japanese Peace Pagoda in Galle is one of the three Buddhist stupas in Sri Lanka. The dome-like structures are adorned with Golden Statues of Lord Buddha, and showcase paintings depicting the various momentous events of his life.
The circular structure of the monument commands a stunning 360 degree view of the surrounding forests and ocean, propounding the serenity of the pagoda.
4. Sea Turtle Farm & Hatchery: With the goal to protect the dwindling population of the native sea turtles, the Koggala Sea Turtle Farm and Hatchery aims to provide the species with medical aid and protection and thus improve their rate of survival.
Visitors to the Turtle Farm get a comprehensive insight into the working of the project here. Visitors may also interact with the turtles housed here, or release a grown turtle into the sea under the guidance of the farmhands.
- Location: Koggala Sea Turtle Farm & Hatchery, Matara Road, Koggala.
Other Essential Information About Koggala Beach
Location: South coast of Sri Lanka.
Timings: The beach remains open 24 hours a day.
Accommodations Near Koggala Beach
The hotel also has a swimming pool and a terrace lounge. The Poolside Bar is a popular facility here, with an expansive cocktail menu. Koggala Beach Hotel also boasts of a restaurant of its own, offering authentic Sri Lankan relishes.
2. The Long Beach Resort and Spa: Boasting of marvelous views of the open coastline, the Long Beach Resort offers well fitted rooms with views of the beach or gardens. Apart from its multiple outdoor swimming pools, the hotel also offers spa facilities for its guests.
Long Beach Resort also houses a café and a restaurant of its own, offering a number of dining options. Along with that, the Pool Bar and Lounge Bar at the resort is a delight for cocktail enthusiasts.
3. The Fortress Resort and Spa: Overlooking the sandy stretch of the Galle Beach, The Fortress is a luxury resort offering a stylish and sophisticated stay experience to its guests. The 53 suites and guest rooms here are all designed to provide the most opulent stay, and are fitted with the best amenities.
Some of the rooms are even fitted with a private garden and patio of their own. The resort houses four separate beachfront restaurants in its premises, each offering a number of delightful delicacies.
The Fortress Resort also boasts of an infinity swimming pool in the heart of the ocean, where one can lounge in the open surrounded by the rolling waves of the sea.
Address: Koggala, Habaraduwa, Galle 80000, Sri Lanka
The restaurant here offers a wide selection of dishes across the Sri Lankan and international cuisine, and prides in its variety of Sri Lankan classics.
Address: Village Club, Matara Rd, Koggala 80000, Sri Lanka
Restaurants at Koggala Beach
The casual, laid back ambience at Surf n Turf, with it's funky wall art and indie playlist, makes it a popular choice among tourists and locals alike.
This roadside diner is known for its value for money, serving large portions at reasonable prices. Patty Place also offers a number of vegan and vegetarian options.
The portions served here are considerably large, and the restaurant is especially well known for its prawn and crab preparations.
Apart from its delectable seafood wares, the restaurant also boasts of a comprehensive cocktail menu. The lazy atmosphere that pervades The Handsome Sardine makes it one of the most frequented food joints in the place.
- Location: Matara Rd, Habaraduwa 80630, Sri Lanka
Tips for Visiting Koggala Beach
3. Dress comfortably while visiting the beach. Light, cotton clothing is recommended.
4. Avoid exposure to direct sunlight.
5. Watch out for the rare species of turtles that can sometimes be spotted here.
6. Visiting the beach between March to August is highly recommended, as there is a higher chance of spotting whales and dolphins during this season.
7. If you are an adventure enthusiast, do not miss out on the diving, snorkeling and surfing opportunities that Koggala has to offer