Visit Galle Fort/Dutch Fort
Dutch Fort is one of the most extraordinary historical and archeological sites of the world. The fort was first constructed by Portuguese in the late sixteenth century and fortified expansively by the Dutch in the mid-seventeenth century. It is a stunning blend of archeology, architecture, and history in the backdrop of the tropical atmosphere.
Its appeal lies in that it is not just a historical monument. Even today the life is buzzing inside it, with a museum, gorgeous villas, administrative offices, antique shops, cafes, bookstores and lifestyle stores.
Location: Situated in the Southern Sri Lankan Coast in the Bay of Galle just 132 KM from Colombo.
Highlights: A stroll on the streets will let you experience the beautiful architecture of the colonial style buildings that still exudes the warmth and charm. Visit National Maritime Museum, stop by Meera Mosque and enjoy delicacies at Lucky Fort Restaurant and Galle Fort Hotel Restaurant.
Timing: Opened 24 hours a day
Best Time to visit: The absolute best month to be here is in February
Stroll Dutch Reformed Church
A walk through the Fort ground along with the humble caretaker, immersing in his never-ending fancy stories will take you back to the era whence it was built. The Church is also known as Groot Kert.
Highlights: Many tombstones dating back to the 17th can be observed; this church also is a Cruciform with shorter transepts separated by two arches. The floor is marked with gravestones. The beautiful pulpit made from Malaysian wood, calamander is a beautiful sight and near to the pulpit is the memorial of De Ly Family.
Location: Church Street, Galle fort
Timings: 9 am to 5 Pm
Best Time to visit: The best month to visit this place in February
Go for Spa at Unawatuna
They are widely known in the country for their services, therapy, and massages. Galle fort is considered one of the best in the city with natural rejuvenating therapies such as Ayurveda. Few Spas also offer Yoga and meditation as packages, Unawatuna Island is the major center for authentic spas and wellness therapy in Galle.
Highlights: The Spa therapy includes physiotherapy, body massage, deep tissue massage, face massage, hand and feet nourishments, total body care, yoga and a variety of combo offers. Other provisions include reflexology, waxing, detox treatments etc. and all these are obtained at the most serene atmosphere surrounded by overwhelming nature.
Location: Unawatuna, Galle
Timing: 10 AM to 7 PM or 9 AM to 10 PM
Best Time to Visit: You can go for the spa at Galle anytime you want.
Call on The Flag Rock
Location: Rampart St. Galle
Highlights: Scenic surrounding; to your west, you will be able to locate the lighthouse and the Gunpowder Museum opposite to the Meeran Masjid.
Timings: 9:00 AM - 7:30 PM (All days of weak)
Best Time to visit: Spring is the most conducive time for a visit to Flag Rock.
Location: Mirissa Beach, Naval Harbour and Dondra Point
Highlights: Boat ride into the ocean just as the sun is about to rise is gorgeous. You should definitely carry a camera and binoculars to capture the experience. If you are lucky enough you might also get to see blue whales along with the normal ones and dolphins. Please carry medicines if you are prone to sea sickness.
Price: Approximate price starts from Rs.5280.
Best Time to visit: The best time for this fun activity is during the month of November to April
Enjoy Scuba Diving
Scuba Diving in Unawatuna is one of the best places for this sport. The center is a 10-minute drive from Galle city. The diving institutes offer different levels of courses such as open water dive, refresh dive course, fresher’s dive, master level diving, reef diving, night diving etc.
Location: Unawatuna Beach diving sites include Napoleon Reef, Galapita gala
Highlights: Includes certification courses, a dive to Rangoon ship wreck 30 ft under the sea
Price: Approximate price starts from Rs.1700 per dive and if you are opting for a course it starts from Rs. 21,000
Best Time to visit: The best time to visit this place is during the month of November to May
Lagoon Canoeing Tour at Unuwatuna
Canoeing can take you in the midst of the Natural beauty of flora and fauna characterised by changing landscapes and fascinating mangroves.
Location: Unuwatuna Lagoon, GalleHours and timings: starts at 8- 8:30 am and comprised of two hours of paddling
Highlights: Canoeing trip includes a local guide, water and refreshments and a life jacket. You can reach the Unawatuna Lagoon by a tuk-tuk. You would get to explore coastal flora and fauna untouched by the human civilization, the deeper sector of mangroves etc
Timing: Morning or Evening time is suitable for this tour.
Price: Approximate price starts from Rs. 2100, per canoe 2 - 3 people can accommodate
Best Time to Visit: November to May
Mountain Bike Tour at Mirissa and Unawatuna
You can choose your type of bikes from an array of selection and you will be provided with a local guide, helmets, and refreshments. The guide helps you to know the place better with his narrations and titbits of information.
Location: Biking centres at Mirissa and Unawatuna
Highlights: You would get to see the real Sri Lankan villages, peacocks, chameleons, buffalo, mangroves, coconut farms and tropical forests. You can also eat homemade authentic food in one of the many villages you would come across.
Timings: 8:30 AM or 2:30 PM as per your convenience
Price: Approximate price starts from Rs.1100 to 3500
Best Time to Visit: December to Feb. is a suitable time for Mountain Biking
Location: 30 mins walk from Unawatuna
Highlights: There is a small restaurant that serves simple delicious snacks and beverages. The snorkelling is offered by professional instructors from PADI. You may see reef fishes, crabs, moray eels, turtles, barracudas and parrot fishes; Walk to sunset point.
Timings: The best time for this activity starts from early morning to sunset.
Price: Approximate price starts from Rs. 200 to Rs. 300
Best Time to visit: February to April is the best time for snorkelling at Galle.
Lagoon & Village Cycling
The best way to get away from the monotonous life in the city is to cycle through the quaint village of Galle. Lagoon and Village cycling in Galle is a perfect way to spend your weekends. Ride at your own pace and you will be able to cover 12 km easily.
The cycling routes in Galle are usually the less travelled ones into the gravelled paths, through the mangroves, paddy fields, grasslands, local villages and their shopping stalls and sparse jungles.
Highlights: Three to four hours of utmost pleasure. The cycling expedition takes you by the local industries, lagoons and mangroves. Also, in the local village, you can learn to make coconut ropes or catch crabs from the villagers.
Timings: The activity starts at 8:30 AM and ends at 2 PM
Price: Approximate price ranges from Rs.1100 to Rs. 3500
About the Activity:
- If you are looking for an amazing day tour to Galle in Sri Lanka, this is a perfect fit for you.
- Get picked up from your hotel in Galle at around 7:00 AM and begin your trip to visit the turtle hatchery point located 5 Km north of Balapitiya where you can see the cute little turtles hatching and making their way into the sea.
- Aftermath, take a walk through spice herbal garden, and acquaint yourself more about the local plantation.
- Embark on an approx. 2 hour Madu river boat safari and delight in the picturesque environs accompanying you.
- Later, visit the famous mask factory in Ambalangoda and then reach Moonstone mine place at Hikkaduwa and admire the skill of locales in extracting this precious stone.
- Admire the stunning Buddhist temple, Cinnamon Island, Hikkaduwa, Galle dutch fort city and T-Sunami photo museum.
- Conclude this exciting trip by going on a shopping spree in Bentota and then you will be dropped off to your hotel in Galle at around 5:00 PM.
About the Galle Fishing Tour:
- This activity will allow you to go Galle fishing like a local fisherman in Sri Lanka.
- You will get to ride in paddle boats to let you experience the entire fishing process.
- The operator will provide all fishing equipment.
- The activity will be conducted at Hikkaduwa Lagoon.
- Galle fishing tour is a guided by the instructor.
- An English-speaking guide will walk you through the entire procedure, and teach you the skill of getting a good catch.
- It has been designed in a way to let one experience a few hours of a fisherman’s life.
- The duration of this activity is for two hours.
- Pickup and drop facility is included in the cost of this package.
- Unwind with relishing lunch at a local restaurant after spending the scheduled hours in the ocean.
- The cost of tea and lunch is included in this package.
- You can book this package as a solo traveller or as a group (two-three or four-seven).
About the Activity:
- Delight in this amazing cycling tour which is recommended for families with kids for a truly exhilarating experience.
- Get picked up from your hotels in Galle Fort, Unawatuna, and Koggala at around 8 AM and proceed to the start point, from where the activity starts at around 8.30 AM.
- Continue your journey and enjoy the scenic beauty of Galle and visit some of the most beautiful and important tourist locations of the same.
- The duration of the tour is around 6 hours, giving you sufficient time to explore the beauty of surroundings and the places.
- End your amazing cycling tour at around 2.30 PM and head back to your respective hotels.
Explore the fortified city of Galle on two wheels on this cycling tour. Led by a cycling guide, set out into the city with your bicycle and helmet and ride past the old Galle Fort and city. Enjoy light refreshments along the way.
About the activity:
-This cycling tour will start at 2:30 pm and the assembly point of the tour would be the operator house/office. Here you will be greeted by your cycling guide that will accompany you on the tour. Further, you will be provided with bottled water, helmets and a city bike or mountain bike of your size.
-After a short briefing, you start the tour with an experienced English-speaking local guide. Ride from office to Galle city. En-route, you can see many activities of the local people and fishermen working.
-After reaching Galle city, a visit to Galle Fort can be conveniently started at the old entrance after cycling along the seaside towards the old warehouse.
-After cycling inside the Galle Fort, we come out from the New Entrance that was constructed in 1873 piercing rampart between Son and Moon Bastions which is being used even today.
-Also, visit the Murugan Hindu Temple which was established in the 1790 and fruit market and vegetable market established in 1880. As the tour concludes, you will back to the same destination from where you have started.
Timings: 2.30 pm (except Monday)
Total Distance: 16 Km / 10 Mile
Starting/Ending Point: No: 49/A, Heenatigala Road, Unawatuna, Galle, Sri Lanka (80600)
How to reach?
You will easily get public and private transportation to reach the starting point.
-The tour can not be booked on Monday.
-Minimum age should be 10 years.
-Half price for children under the age of 12.
About the Activity:
Enjoy an adventurous cycle ride to a lagoon and village in Galle. Get picked up from your hotels at 8.30 am for morning schedule or 2.30 pm for the afternoon schedule, and proceed to the start point from where the cycling will start. During your cycling trip, cycle through gravel roads passing mangroves, villages and beautiful paddy fields and enjoy a light refreshments too. The delightful journey will take 3 hours for a complete exploring of the location. End your adventurous cycling trip and get dropped off to your respective hotels.
The package provides you with comfortable bikes for the activity. You are also provided with an experienced local guide who would assist you throughout the journey. The package ensures safety by providing helmets along with water and refreshments to enhance the experience. The package is inclusive of all government taxes and service charges.
Start Point of the Activity: The starting point of the activity is No: 49/A, Heenatigala Road, Unawatuna, Galle, Sri Lanka (80600)
Timings: The package comes with two time period options i.e 8.30 am in the morning and 2.30 pm in the afternoon.
Note: The participants below 12 years of age will be considered as children.