What to Do in Port Louis?
Being the capital of Mauritius, there are just so many things to do in Port Louis. From trying your luck at Le Caudan Waterfront Casino to exploring the local cuisine at Chinatown to emptying your pockets in the Central Market, it has something to offer to every kind of visitor. You can make a detailed visit to Blue Penny Museum if you are a history buff and if you understand the intrinsic art. Whereas if you are a music lover and appreciate a musical night out with good food, Keg and Marlin is the place to be.
Places to Visit and Things to Do in Port Louis
People Also Ask About Port Louis Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Port Louis?
1. Visit Blue Penny Museum: Located in the Capital of Mauritius, The Blue Penny Museum offers a valuable heritage collection and displays the beautiful history of the island. The collection has a series of precious items like old marine maps, paintings, stamps, engravings, ancient documents, and a lot of other things that boast of the rich history of Mauritius highlighting their culture.
Location: Dans Caudan Waterfront, Port Louis, Mauritius
Timing: Mon:Sat: 10 AM :4:30PM, (Sunday closed)
Price:The entry fee for an adult is INR 518 and for a child is INR 253.
2. Try your luck at Le Caudan Waterfront Casino: One of the best things to do in Port Louis is going to the casino that has games like reel machine, electronic roulette, oasis poker, around the table, blackjack, roulette that can be played at 214 slot machines. The casino is not just popular for trying out your luck and earning some quick cash but also for its theme and friendly staff. Just when you enter the place, you would be able to see a pirate ship right at the entrance.
Location: Marina Quay, Caudan, Port Louis, Mauritius
Timing: Open 24 hours every day
3. Go to Aapravasi Ghat: Aapravasi Ghat is a UNESCO world heritage site and stays to be an immigration depot located on the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius. It is known to be the first British Colony to get indentured from different countries. If anyone is still wondering what to do in Port Louis, then this place will prove to be a paradise for history buffs and anyone who wants to explore the region.
Location: Ex: DWC Building, 1 Quay St, Port Louis, Mauritius
Timing: Mon:Fri: 9am:4pm, Saturday: 9am:12pm, Sunday closed
4.Try out street food: Port Louis is popular for its unique flavors and recreated recipes. One can start from the Le Caudan Waterfront, get a taste of Gujarati food like deep: fried gato pima. Head to Chinatown and explore Chinese dishes like dim sums and noodles. Then get your hands on the sugar-coated baked treats and don't forget to get a cup of sweet milky vanilla tea. Finally, get fresh vegetables and fruits from the central market.
5. Enjoy live music at Keg & Marlin: A live band is present at Keg & Marlin that is well: versed with a lot of genres like Mauritian folk music, rock music, and more. They keep the customers hooked to their seats, wanting more music sessions. The place is also popular for its scrumptious food and courteous staff. Enjoying food with some good music playing in the background is one of the best things to do in Port Louis.
Location: Le Caudan Waterfront, 11306, Mauritius, Port Louis, Mauritius
Timing: Friday, Saturday: 11 am–11 pm, Mon- Thur & Sunday: 11 am–10 pm
6. Shopping at Central Market: The central market is a perfect place to scoop up souvenirs like ship models, Buddha idols, fridge magnets, etc. Intriguingly, since Victorian days, the Market has been functional and has retained several of the traditional elegance to date. From herbal remedies, keepsakes to clothing, shopping is one of the best things to do in Port Louis.
Location: 9 Corderie St, Port Louis, Mauritius
Timing: Mon:Sat 5 am- 5:30 pm, Sunday: 5 am- 11:30 pm
7. Explore Chinatown: With beautiful art and authentic dishes, China Town is known to be the best culinary place in Mauritius. It is packed with small shops, oriental food places, and family traders. The region also houses some of the local celebrities and is mostly decorated beautifully for the visitors. One can easily find Indian, Chinese, and European cuisine in Chinatown.
8. Go to Natural History Museum: Constructed in 1880, the Natural History Museum features an exhibit of the famous Dodo, the flightless bird that has ceased to exist since the 17th century, along with a broad collection of more than 5,000 library books. Mauritius's oldest museum is split into 4 galleries: the Fauna Gallery, the Marine Life Gallery, the Insects Gallery, the Meteorology Gallery, the Giant Tortoise Gallery, and the Dodo World Gallery.
Location: Port Louis, Mauritius
Timing: Mon-Fri: 9 am–4 pm, Saturday: 9 am–12 pm, (Sunday Closed)
Price: Entrance fees are approximately 5 Euros for adults and 3 Euros for children.
What are the adventure things to do in Port Louis?
1. Witness a Race at the Port Louis Race Track: Being the second:oldest racecourse in the entire world, this track is a national trademark and mostly found packed with people making bets and finding their seats. Amidst all the noise, there is a range of refreshments, street food, and snacks available nearby.
2. Go on Le Pouce hike: Enjoy the short Le Pouce hike and make the most out of the wonderful view that you will get after reaching the top. The mountain is about 800 m high and lets you explore the beautiful flora and fauna.
3. Horse racing with Crown Lodge: With the wonderful view of the finishing line, access to a private VIP box, alcoholic and non:alcoholic drinks flowing and delicious local snacks getting served, you can enjoy the show comfortably.
4. Climb the Fort Citadel: Situated at a height of 100 meters, the fort is built using massive rectangular blocks. It remains to be a big tourist destination because of the spectacular view of the city of Port Louis it has to offer.
What is Port Louis famous for?
Port Louis is famous for showcasing Mauritian culture and is known for its French colonial architecture. It attracts visitors from all around the world for its lively dining and shopping choices. From the Caudan waterfront to the central market to Chinatown, most of the places are always packed with tourists.
How to reach Port Louis?
Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport (SSR) is at a distance of 47.1 kilometers from Port Louis, making it easier to directly catch a flight. There are three regular bus routes – 9, 10, and 198 that run via the airport to the important parts of the city like Mahebourg Bus Station and Port Louis Victoria Square.
Is Port Louis worth visiting?
Yes, Port Louis will have you experience the best of times. Strolling around the waterfront, shopping your heart out in the central market, exploring the art in the Blue Penny Museum, and enjoying the local food at Chinatown are some of the best things to do in Port Louis. Not only will you be taking souvenirs back home, but also lots of memories and beautiful pictures.
What souvenirs to buy from Port Louis?
Some of the souvenirs to buy from Port Louis are:
- Buddha Idols
- Artisanat sculptures
- Figures of the famous Dodo bird
- Exotic spices
- Local Rum
- Handcrafted goods
Is Port Louis safe for tourists?
Petty crimes are very rarely witnessed in this area. Proper patrolling is taken care of by the local authorities making traveling relatively safer. Remain mindful and practice caution and you would be good to go.
What are the romantic things to do in Port Louis?
1. Watch a Movie at Le Caudan Waterfront: One of the best places to be at as you can watch a movie, explore the craft market, visit the history museum, stay at a 4:5 star hotel and shop your heart out.
2. Shop Your Heart Out at Central Market: Purchase fresh produce from the market and cook a scrumptious dinner for your partner. What could be more romantic than this?
3. Get an Insight into History: If you and your partner are history buffs, then take a tour of the ever-so-famous Aapravasi ghat, a UNESCO world heritage site that boasts so much about the history and enlightens you about indentured servitude.
4. Enjoy the Authentic Food at Chinatown: This place will have you explore the most colorful side of the capital while making the most of beautifully decorated streets and local and authentic dishes.
What are the best things to do in Port Louis at night?
1. Attend Live Music at Keg & Marlin: Enjoy the live music along with a delicious meal and good company at this place. The music genres are mostly rock and Mauritian folk that make everyone feel a little more lively and vibrant.
2. Play Games All Night at Le Caudan Waterfront Casino: Try your hands on the thrill worthy games and win some amazing rewards at this casino. Not just that, explore the historical architecture and scrumptious food around.
3. Taste the Local Cuisine at Yuzu: Spend some quality time with your loved ones by having a taste of the local cuisine. It is popular for its cuisines like Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, and more.
4. Get the Panoramic Views of Port Louis at Citadel Fort Adelaide: This is an ideal place to just sit, relax and enjoy the most mesmerizing view of Port Louis.