About Aapravasi Ghat
In this history, Mauritius was a British Colony and Aapravasi Ghat served as a place of the immigrants and labourers who were brought from various other colonies of the Britishers. Although the majority of the place is damaged, one can witness the remaining ruins which are not only beautiful but hold stories of different cultural and historical backgrounds.
Aapravasi Ghat is surrounded by silence and peace, which makes the tourists visit the ghat to not only to relax in the silence but also to learn about and dig in the various aspects of its beauty. Due to its location in the capital city and proximity to the coast, Aapravasi Ghat attracts non-history bluffs too.
Tourists can explore Aapravasi Ghat for half-a-day and then go for a shopping spree to the nearby Caudan Waterfront, Blue Penny Museum, Jummah Mosque, etc. After getting the tag of UNESCO World Heritage Site, Aapravasi Ghat has been visited by more than 3 million tourists from around the globe.
The unmatching beauty of this place makes it a very popular tourist place in Mauritius and if you want to visit Aapravasi Ghat, make sure to read through to know any and everything about it.
How to Reach Aapravasi Ghat
Located in the capital city, Aapravasi Ghat can be reached by roadways and airways. There are no passenger trains running in Mauritius but you will always find a means of public transport to Aapravasi Ghats. Here are the ways to reach Aapravasi Ghats.
Aaoravasi Ghat is connected to all the major towns and cities in Mauritius by roadways. Aapravasi Ghat is located on the 1st Quay Street which is one of the main roads of the city. You can get any public transport and private cab/taxis to reach Aapravasi Ghats and get down at the Caudan Waterfront Bus Station.
Port Louis International Airport (Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport) is the closest to Aapravasi Ghat. The airport is connected to all the major airports around the world. Additionally, the ghat is located 48 km from the airport and can be easily reached by buses, private cabs and taxi.
What Not to Miss at Aapravasi Ghat
Here are some of the attractions and activities to do near Aapravasi Ghat:
Other Essential Information About Aapravasi Ghat
Aapravasi Ghat is located on the 1st Quay Street of Port Louis in Mauritius.
- Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 4 PM
There are no entry fees to the Aapravasi Ghats complex. Although, inside the complex, you will have to pay at the souvenir shops.
History of Aapravasi Ghat
Legacy of Aapravasi Ghat
In the mid-19th century, the demand for sugar was very high and this resulted in more work at the sugar factories. As a result, more workers were brought from the colonies and in the 1850s and 1860s, the construction of Aapravasi Ghat was started.
Simultaneously, Aapravasi Ghat became a vital place in Port Louis as it was the hotspot for the sugar export and the migration of the workers. Due to its proximity to the port, Aapravasi Ghat became a vital centre of Trade in South-Asia.
Mauritius became one of the richest sugar-producing British colonies in the world. After the independence of Mauritius from Britishers, not much attention was given to the complex of Aapravasi Ghat. In the late 1980s, restoration work was done but most the buildings in the complex were ruined.
It was realised that there was a need to form a trust for the complex and the Aapravasi Ghat Trust was formed to facilitate the funding process of the complex. In the year 2006, Aapravasi Ghat was named as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and since then it has become one of the most popular tourist places in the country.
Places to Stay near Aapravasi Ghat
Places to Eat near Aapravasi Ghat
Traveller’s Tips for visiting Aapravasi Ghat
- Silence is expected from every visitor. Therefore keep your mobile phones or any other device on silent mode.
- The complex of Aapravasi Ghat is wheelchair friendly. All the path and toilet facilities are also wheelchair friendly.
- If you are visiting Aapravasi Ghat in a group or with family, it is advisable to book tickets in advance as you may save your time by not standing in the queue.
- There is no parking space available near Aapravasi Ghat. So, if you are coming by car you will have to park it near the Caudan Waterfront or Granary, and walk till this historic site.
- Caudan Waterfront is a popular shopping place near Aapravasi Ghat. All the public transport commuting to Aapravasi Ghat terminate from here.
- In some places in the complex, visitors are not allowed to take photographs.
- If you want to buy the best souvenirs for your loved ones, there are various shops and galleries inside the complex which sell gifts and other things at a very affordable and reasonable rate.