Activities To Do in MaleThough it is a small city, there are many interesting things to do in Male that make any vacation on the island capital a splendid experience full of adventure and romance. From admiring the Islamic and pre-Islamic architectural sites to gazing at awe-inspiring modern monuments to shopping in the local markets, there are many fun-filled things to do in Male. Because of its close proximity to other important islands in Maldives, and its smooth water transport system, enjoying Male also means enjoying the beauties of the other islands around it
Male is a small city and can therefore be explored efficiently over the course of a single day. There are several monuments that make for good sightseeing spots, and you will also find many parks and beaches where you can sit back and relax in peace. A city tour of Male is the best and the most comprehensive way to enjoy the myriad sights of the city since a local guide will not only be able to conduct you better through the tiny streets but also add a pinch of adventure to the sights by flavouring them with local insights. Hulhumale, the artificial sister island of Male, should also be included in your city tour since it basically acts an extension of the main capital, and has many interesting monuments to see and restaurants to dine in
When you are in Male, you cannot miss out on its beaches. Water sports are among the best activities to do in Male, and they can be enjoyed in all their depth and variety on the beaches around Male. Scuba diving and snorkelling are the most popular adventure activities in Male, but other interesting things like sea walks and submarine rides can also be enjoyed here.
Simply lounging on the golden beaches is also a wonderful activity in itself. Male is a destination full of romance and adventure and heading over to it on a vacation is a blessed experience.
Things to Do in Male
People Also Ask About Male Things To Do
Which are the best things to do in Male?1. Explore the Hukuru Miskiiy (Old Friday Mosque) :One of the top things to do in Male is to visit the oldest and historic building Hukuru Miskiiy. This 1658 built place is a part of UNESCO’s tentative cultural list because of its unique architecture. This beautiful house of worship has been built using coral and timber and has exquisite and elaborate carved wooden panels with fine lacquer work. The unique feature of this place is the Quranic verses carved into the corals.
Location: Medhu Ziyaaraiy Magu, Malé, Maldives
2. Go Swimming at Artificial Beach: If you are looking for a quick respite from the bustling city if Male, go for this man-made crescent shaped beach on the East side of the island. This artificial beach has been created from the land retrieved from the sea. Have some fun time with your family or friends by going for a swim in the crystal clear water and then taking a sunbath on the fine white sand. Sit on one of the few benches and enjoy the cool breeze from the sea. If you feel hungry, there are two restaurants nearby offering mouth-watering food.
Location: Male, Maldives
3. Enjoy an underwater adventure with Whale Submarine: One of the best activities to do in Male is to go for a 45 minutes tour aboard the submarine. The submarine will take you on an exciting ride at the depth of 100-feet below. Feel enchanted looking at the beautiful coral reel, colourful fishes, like blue or yellow striped snappers, common lionfish and many more.
Location: 4th Floor, H.Sakeena Manzil, Malé 20001
4. Take a walk around Rasrani Bageecha: Known earlier as Sultan Park, this lush green park with its large shady trees and lily ponds is a great place for a relaxing walk. If you feel tired, sit and watch the beautiful fountains with their changing colours and shooting patterns. For kids, there is a play area where they can have lots of fun.
Location: Opposite the Islamic Centre on Medhu Ziyaaraiy Magu, Malé
5. Gaze at the beautiful Tsunami Monument: Visit this spiraling monument which is a reminder of the power of nature over mankind. This lovely memorial with its amazing structure reminds its visitors about the 2004 natural disaster, Tsunami. Take a look around this tranquil place and stroll around for some good photographs. Visit this place during the afternoon to enjoy watching a breathtaking sunset.
Location: Thin Ruh Park, Boduthakurufaanu Magu, Malé, Maldives
6. Feel enchanted looking at the Grand Friday Mosque: Visit the Grand Friday Mosque, the biggest and most important mosque in the country. This beautiful mosque is known for its striking architecture of pure white marble with majestic gold domes. Overlooking the mosque is the solid, round blue towered munnaaru, the squat minaret. The view of the sea in the backdrop has enhanced its beauty. A visit to this place is one of the must things to Do in Male.
Location: Ibrahim Magu, Corner of Medhu Ziyaaraiy Magu, Malé
7. Know the country’s history at the National Museum: The informative National Museum is housed inside the beautiful Sultan Park. This three floored museum has Quran engravings on the wall giving an insight into the country’s history in the Buddhist and Islamic era. While the first floor displays weapons and religious and household artifacts, the second floor exhibits the modern era. Take a look at the memorabilias such as stones, antique treasures etc.
Location: Chaandhanee Magu, Malé, Maldives
8. Taste some local delights at Sala Thai: One of the must things to do in Male is to taste some authentic and freshly cooked thai cuisine. Sala Thai, one of the most popular restaurants of the city offers flavourful Thai delights. The ambience of both the inside seating area with its elegant decor, artwork and dim light as well as the bright sunlit garden seating place is very pleasant.
Location: Buruneege Hithaffinivaa Magu, Malé, Maldives
9. Visit the Malé Fish Market: One of the fun Activities to do in Male is to visit the local fish market. The market bustling with activities is the place to go if you want to feel the pulse of the city and understand their culture by interacting with them. Visit this place which is considered as the soul of Male and watch the assortment of fresh fish like yellowfin tunas and huge octopuses being brought and kept on the tiled floor by fisherman daily.
Location: 188 Ibrahim Hassan Didi Magu, Malé 20188, Maldives
10. Shop for souvenirs at Majeedhee Magu: Visit Majeedhee Magu, the one stop destination for buying souvenirs such as ethnic adornments, trinkets, garments, aromas, handcrafted souvenirs and even dried fish chips. Spanning the entire length of male, this street, famous for shopping, has an array of stores for the tourists.
Location: Main shopping street
11. Feel Amazed looking at China-Maldives Friendship Bridge:The impressive engineering work, Sinamale Bridge connects Male to the airport island of Hulhule. The unique bridge goes over the open sea with concrete placed in the bed of the sea and has two car lanes, separate lanes for motorcycles and pedestrians. The bridge was inaugurated on 30th August 2018.
Location: Male, Maldives
12. Visit Mulee Aage & Medhu Ziyaarath: The beautiful Muleeaage Palace was built in the early 20th century for the sultan and was later used as the President's residence. The place is specially worth visiting for the elaborate blue and white gatehouse Medhu Ziyaarath at the eastern end of the building’s compound. Behind the gate house is the tomb of AbulBarakat Yoosuf Al Barbary, who bought Islam in Male
Location: Medhuziyaaraiy Magu, Male' City 20115, Maldives
13. Explore the tomb of Mohammed Thakurufaanu: Explore the tomb of Mohammed Thakurufaanu, Maldives national hero, the Sultan who has been instrumental in liberating the country from the rules of the Portugese. This tomb is situated in the grounds of a small mosque, the Behrouz Kamanaa Miskiiy, at the back streets in the middle of town.
Location: Neelafaru Magu, Male
14. Indulge in various water sports: Being an island surrounded by the deep blue sea, the city of Male offers options of several water activities to its visitors. Visitors can enjoy the sea by opting for wakeboarding, parasailing, kayaking, windsurfing, flyboarding and so on. To take a look at the amazing underwater aquatic life, they can go for snorkelling, underwater submarine ride or take a glass bottom boat ride.
Plan a soothing getaway, Checkout Soneva Fushi Resort in Maldives
Which are the best things to do in Male in Night?1. Crab Racing - One of the very popular night activities to do in Male is crab racing. In this activity, crabs are placed inside a circular boundary and allowed to go in whichever direction they wish to go. The one which crosses the boundary line wins the race. You can choose your crab and if it wins, you get some amazing prizes. Many hotels and resorts like Olhuveli Beach & Spa Resort in South Male Atoll, etc. have this activity for its guests.
2. Visit the Local Bars - One of the activities to do in Male at night is to go to one of the local bars which is full of tourists. You will not find any locals in these bars as they are prohibited to drink alcohol due to Islamic traditions. Some of the bars also provide entertainment by locals which are very enjoyable. Some of the bars are - Coral Bar and Lounge, Party in Da Hood etc
3. Resort Bars - Male has some awesome resort bars where you can go for a delicious dinner of authentic local food along with musical performances. Some of the resorts of Male are Paradise Island Resort, Huvafen Fushi in North Male Atoll.
4. Night Fishing - Some resorts and guesthouses organise night fishing excursions for the tourists. You can go for this enjoyable excursion, catch a fish and ask the fish to be cooked as per your choice and enjoy a lavish dinner.
5. Night Clubbing - Enjoy night clubbing and tap your feet on the dance floor to the latest or retro music by the DJ. Enjoy Boduberu, the traditional dance and music performances by the locals at the night clubs. One of the famous night clubs in Male is Kurumba.
6. Stargazing - One of the things to do in Male is to go Stargazing at night. A glance at the sky watching thousands of glittering stars and enjoying the beauty of this amazing paradise in darkness is a one of a lifetime experience.
Enjoy the most romantic honeymoon, Checkout Maldives Honeymoon Packages
Which are the best water activities to do in Male?1. Kayaking - Go for a kayaking experience and explore the beautiful water of the deep blue sea while you paddle your boat by yourself.
2. Underwater Walking - Walking on the bed of the sea of a deep ocean can be a unique experience. Just put on your oxygen masks and go for an exciting walk with a breathtaking view of aquatic creatures around you.
3. Wakeboarding - Indulge in an activity that will give you the thrill of standing on a wave. One of the most brilliant water sports of Male, Maldives, Wakeboarding involves holding onto a rope while you walk on the water. Be careful to maintain your balance.
4. Kitesurfing - One of the things to Do in Male is to feel the thrill of flying like a kite over the lovely ocean water by going for kitesurfing.
5. Fun Tubing - Those looking for a fun adventure can simply get in an inflated and unpowered tube and let the waves take you for a bumpy ride at a very high speed.
6. Parasailing - Get a bird’s eye view of the beautiful Male city from above the sky while you fly away and break free during parasailing. While parasailing, you will be tied to a parachute which will be towed by a motorboat.
Looking for a perfect vacation, Checkout Maldives Tour Packages
What are the most romantic things to do Male for couples?
1. Go Snorkelling together - Spend some time together in the depth of the sea admiring the sea life underwater. Take a look at colourful fishes, mantas, turtles, eagle rays and dolphins while you snorkel along with your partner.
2. Pamper yourself with a Romantic massage - Indulge in a sand massage while exploring the sandy beaches together. Going for a rejuvenating couple massage is one of the activities to do in Male.
3. Take a romantic submarine ride- Enjoy a journey to the depth of ocean in an amazing submarine ride together. Feel enchanted while watching shipwrecks, sharks and shoals of colourful fishes together.
4. Go Windsurfing with your partner - Get ready for some fun with your partner while you go for the popular activity of wind surfing. Take some instructions from the instructor and then be on your own.
5. Go for a city tour of Male - Exploring the capital city of Male together is one of the things to do in Male. Enjoy looking at some natural wonders and some man-made marvels. Take walking trips together and take a closer look at the culture of the place.
6. Swim at the Artificial Beach - Nothing can be more fun and enjoyable than going for a swim with your loved one. Enjoy splashing water at each other and indulge in frolicking in the waters with your partner at the Artificial Beach.
7. Special Candle-light dinner - Many resorts and hotels in Male arrange romantic candle-light dinners for their guests at their requests. Couples can enjoy such a dinner during their trip to Male.
Explore the underwater life in clear water of Maldives by booking Snorkeling in Maldives
Which are the best destinations for scuba diving in Male? What are its charges?
Scuba diving is one of the most popular activities in all of Maldives, and there are many tour operators that offer scuba equipment at reasonable rates to divers. Most resorts and hotels in male also have scuba diving facilities. Some of the best places to go scuba diving around Male include:- Lhaviyani Atoll
- North and South Male Atoll
- Vaavu Atoll
- Meemu, Atoll
- Laamu Atoll
- Gaafu Atoll
Also Checkout: Best Water Villas with Private Pools in Maldives
Which are some famous spas to visit and get relaxed in Male?
Luxury spas abound in Male. These spas offer a range of holistic treatments that are designed to sooth the mind and the body. Many types of packages from couples’ spa packages to all-inclusive multi-day packages are offered by these spas, so you can choose the package that suits you best. Some of the best places in male for spa treatments are:- Meeru Island Resort and Spa
- Centara Ras Fushi Resort and Spa
- Veli Spa at Kurumba
- Duniye Spa
- Talise Spa
- Banyan Tree Spa
- Angsana Spa
- Lime Spa
- Azmaara Spa
- Breeze Spa at Amari Havodda
Feel the thrill by indulging in Jet Skiiing in Maldives
Where can I get a cruising experience in Male?
A cruising experience is best enjoyed through the packages available from Hulhumale Island in Maldives. It is the most popular spot to start cruises from to various destinations.
Enjoy fishing in the crystal clear waters by booking Fishing Trip in Maldives
Where can I enjoy fun tube rides in Male? How much will it cost?
Fun tube rides can be availed of in Huraa islands and Kurumba Islands in Male. One can avail of a package with few other activities and fun tube experience together. Average cost of the fun tube experience will be around 50 USD.
Which are some famous places for yoga in Male?
While there are many centres around Male that offer yoga classes, there are some places that are better than the rest. Many resorts around Male offer yoga classes taught by professional instructors. Some of the best places in Male for yoga experiences include:
- Kurumba Maldives
- Empower Fitness
- Baros Maldives
- Four Seasons Maldives
Where can I do fishing in Male?
The seas around Male are rich in marine life and there are lots of fishing opportunities that you can enjoy there. Sunrise fishing and midnight fishing are popular activities in Male, and can be undertaken with ease. Most resorts in and around male offer fishing trips and local fishermen can also be engaged on fishing tours. Some of the best places to enjoy fishing in Male are:
- Lhaviyani Atoll
- Vaavu Atoll
- North Male Atoll
- Meemu atoll
Which are the best resorts in Maldives that we can book from Thrillophilia?Here is the list of best resorts in Maldives that you can book from Thrillophilia:
Which are the best Maldives tour packages that I can book from Thrillophilia?Here is the list of best Maldives tour packages that you can book from Thrillophilia:
Which are the best Maldives honeymoon packages that we can book via Thrillophilia?Here is the list of best Maldives honeymoon packages that you can book via Thrillophilia: