1. Visit Golghar: One of the best things to do in Patna with your friends is to pay a visit to the famous Golghar that lies alongside the Ganges and dates back to 1786. Climb to the topmost part of this age-old dome-like structure through the spiral staircase. Once you reach the observation area, breath in the fresh cool air and soak in the mesmerizing panoramic views of the lush gardens, shimmerizing river Ganga, and the exuberant cityscape.
Location:Opp.-Govt. Girls High school, Ashok Rajpath, Patna, Bihar 800001
Timings:10 AM to 5 PM, Closed on Monday
2. Seek Blessings at Gurudwara Patna Sahib: If you are seeking some family-friendly things to do in Patna, visit the magnificent Gurudwara Patna Sahib that is dedicated to the tenth Guru of Sikhism, Guru Govind Singh. While you are at the shrine, pay homage to the Guru and marvel at the breathtaking traditional Sikh architecture of this Gurudwara. You can also visit the museum inside the Gurudwara Patna Sahib and witness the "Hukamnamas" of Guru Tegh Bahadur and Guru Gobind Singh. You can also see a pair of ivory sandals and a holy sword of Guru Govind Singh.
Location:Takhat Sri Harimandir ji, Patna Sahib, Patna, Bihar 800008
Timings:2.30 AM to 8 PM
3. Watch Laser Show at Mangal Talab: Head to the picturesque Mangal Talab and enjoy watching the enchanting laser show. As you enjoy this mesmerizing light and show sitting by the side of the lake, you can feel the cool breeze kiss your face and run through your hair. You can soak in the awe-inspiring views of the colourful waters of the fountain dancing to melodious tunes.
Location:Mangal Talab Rd, Ranipur Khidki, Patna 800008, Bihar
Timings:6 PM to 7 PM
4. Marvel at Patna Museum: One of the most recommended things to do in Patna for all history buffs is to take a walk through the very popular Patna Museum. During your visit to this museum, you can check out the huge array of well-preserved relics, artefacts, sculptures, instruments, and paintings. You can also spot the 53 feet high fossilized tree of 1972 and the casket containing the ashes of Gautama Buddha.
Location:Near Kotwali Thana,Buddha Marg Patna, Bihar 800001,India
Price:INR 20 per head for Indians, INR 250 per head for foreigners
Timings:10.30 AM to 4.30 PM
5. Explore the Ruins of Pataliputra: Enjoy an exploration tour to the small town of Kumhrar, where you can discover the Ruins of Pataliputra. As you walk through the remnants of the ancient Patna, you can get an insight of the glorious past of this place, when it was under the rule of renowned kings like Ajatshatru, Chandragupta Maurya, and Ashoka. You can witness the remnants of the 80-pillared hall of Ashoka and Panini’s Arogyashala. You can also visit the small museum on this site and check out the archaeologically excavated things stored here.
Location:Kankarbagh Rd, Kumrahar, Bihar
Price:9 AM to 5 PM
Timings:INR 15 per head for Indians, INR 200 per head for foreigners
6. Go to Buddha Smriti Park: If you are seeking some peace away from the hustle and bustle of the city, spending some time at the beautiful Buddha Smriti Park can be one of the best things to do in Patna for you. While you take a leisure stroll through this huge park, you can spot the stunning sandblasted charcoal Patliputra Karuna Stupa. You can also check out the small well-stocked library and the intriguing Buddhist Museum. You can even take some time to meditate in peace at the meditation hall.
Location:Fraser Road, Near Patna Railway Station Patna Junction, Bihar 800001
Price:INR 20 per head
Timings:9 AM to 7 PM, Closed on Monday
7. Boat ride on the Ganga River: Take a break from all the busy sightseeing and shopping you are doing in the bustling city of Patna and enjoy a calm and serene boat ride with your loved one, across the shimmering waters of the picturesque Ganges. As you ride on the traditional boat, you can soak in the postcard-perfect views of the flamboyant cityscape. You can also see the sun slowly go down the horizon and marvel at the reddish orange rays that beautifully cover the blue waters of the river.
8. Enjoy a Show at Patna Planetarium: One of the most kids-friendly things to do in Patna with your little ones is to take them for an exciting sky show at the renowned Indira Gandhi Planetarium, which is better known as the Patna Planetarium. While you are here, at one of Asia’s oldest planetariums, you can watch an educational science film on astronomy and take home a bag of space knowledge. After the show, you can also take some time to walk through the interesting and innovative exhibitions hosted in this planetarium for the visitors.
Location:Indira Gandhi Science Complex, Buddha Road, Adalatganj, Veer Chand Patel Area, Patna- 800001, Bihar
Price:INR 50 per head
Timings:11 AM to 5.30 PM, Closed on Monday
9. Visit Jalan Museum: Take a walk through the rich history preserved beautifully at the privately owned Jalan Museum. You can witness interesting collections of artefacts from the Mughal era. You can also spot over 10,000 artefacts from the modern period. One of the most important attractions that you should not miss out on at Jalan Museum is the age-old wooden bed of Napoleon III.
Location:Quila Rd, Hajiganj, Patna, Bihar 800008
Timings:Monday to Saturday - 9 AM to 11.30 AM, Sunday - 9 AM to 1 PM & 3 PM to 6 PM
10. Stroll at Sanjay Gandhi National Park: Pay a visit to the Sanjay Gandhi Jaivik Udhyan and spend time encountering the 800 animal and plant species residing here. You can take an exciting jungle walk here and spot the royal Bengal tiger, the one-horned rhinos, chimpanzees, hippopotamuses, elephants, lions, monkeys, zebras, and umpteen varieties of colourful birds. You can also visit the aquarium lying on a man-made island and witness over 30 rare fish species. You can even check out the beautiful rose garden, the green house, the tree house, the herbal garden, and the snake house.
Location:Raj Bhavan, Bailey Rd, Rajbansi Nagar, Patna, Bihar 800001
Price:INR 30 per head for adults, INR 5 per head for children
Timings:5 AM to 6 PM, Closed on Monday