Activities to Do in Patna
Visit Golghar, Seek Blessings at Gurudwara Patna Sahib, Watch Laser Show at Mangal Talab, Marvel at Patna Museum, Explore the Ruins of Pataliputra and many more.
The plethora of fascinating things to do in Patna do not only let you enjoy an exhilarating action-packed holiday in the Bihari land, but also take you closer to the 3,000 years old history of the capital city as well as the entire state. The various activities available in the city of Patna range from heritage walks and spiritual tours to street shopping and food touring.
You can take an amazing walk through history and explore an extensive collection of age-old artefacts at the Patna Museum and the privately owned Jalan Museum. Climbing to the top of Golghar and the Vulture’s Peak will let you soak in breathtaking panoramic views of the stunning cityscape. Take a break from the chaotic and bustling city and visit the Buddha Smriti Park and the Sanjay Gandhi National Park to bask in the lush green environs and the calm atmosphere.
Things to Do in Patna
People Also Ask About Patna Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Patna?
1. Visit Golghar: One of the best things to do in Patna with your friends is to pay a visit to the famous Golghar that lies alongside the Ganges and dates back to 1786. Climb to the topmost part of this age-old dome-like structure through the spiral staircase. Once you reach the observation area, breath in the fresh cool air and soak in the mesmerizing panoramic views of the lush gardens, shimmerizing river Ganga, and the exuberant cityscape.
Location:Opp.-Govt. Girls High school, Ashok Rajpath, Patna, Bihar 800001
Timings:10 AM to 5 PM, Closed on Monday
2. Seek Blessings at Gurudwara Patna Sahib: If you are seeking some family-friendly things to do in Patna, visit the magnificent Gurudwara Patna Sahib that is dedicated to the tenth Guru of Sikhism, Guru Govind Singh. While you are at the shrine, pay homage to the Guru and marvel at the breathtaking traditional Sikh architecture of this Gurudwara. You can also visit the museum inside the Gurudwara Patna Sahib and witness the "Hukamnamas" of Guru Tegh Bahadur and Guru Gobind Singh. You can also see a pair of ivory sandals and a holy sword of Guru Govind Singh.
Location:Takhat Sri Harimandir ji, Patna Sahib, Patna, Bihar 800008
Timings:2.30 AM to 8 PM
3. Watch Laser Show at Mangal Talab: Head to the picturesque Mangal Talab and enjoy watching the enchanting laser show. As you enjoy this mesmerizing light and show sitting by the side of the lake, you can feel the cool breeze kiss your face and run through your hair. You can soak in the awe-inspiring views of the colourful waters of the fountain dancing to melodious tunes.
Location:Mangal Talab Rd, Ranipur Khidki, Patna 800008, Bihar
Timings:6 PM to 7 PM
4. Marvel at Patna Museum: One of the most recommended things to do in Patna for all history buffs is to take a walk through the very popular Patna Museum. During your visit to this museum, you can check out the huge array of well-preserved relics, artefacts, sculptures, instruments, and paintings. You can also spot the 53 feet high fossilized tree of 1972 and the casket containing the ashes of Gautama Buddha.
Location:Near Kotwali Thana,Buddha Marg Patna, Bihar 800001,India
Price:INR 20 per head for Indians, INR 250 per head for foreigners
Timings:10.30 AM to 4.30 PM
5. Explore the Ruins of Pataliputra: Enjoy an exploration tour to the small town of Kumhrar, where you can discover the Ruins of Pataliputra. As you walk through the remnants of the ancient Patna, you can get an insight of the glorious past of this place, when it was under the rule of renowned kings like Ajatshatru, Chandragupta Maurya, and Ashoka. You can witness the remnants of the 80-pillared hall of Ashoka and Panini’s Arogyashala. You can also visit the small museum on this site and check out the archaeologically excavated things stored here.
Location:Kankarbagh Rd, Kumrahar, Bihar
Price:9 AM to 5 PM
Timings:INR 15 per head for Indians, INR 200 per head for foreigners
6. Go to Buddha Smriti Park: If you are seeking some peace away from the hustle and bustle of the city, spending some time at the beautiful Buddha Smriti Park can be one of the best things to do in Patna for you. While you take a leisure stroll through this huge park, you can spot the stunning sandblasted charcoal Patliputra Karuna Stupa. You can also check out the small well-stocked library and the intriguing Buddhist Museum. You can even take some time to meditate in peace at the meditation hall.
Location:Fraser Road, Near Patna Railway Station Patna Junction, Bihar 800001
Price:INR 20 per head
Timings:9 AM to 7 PM, Closed on Monday
7. Boat ride on the Ganga River: Take a break from all the busy sightseeing and shopping you are doing in the bustling city of Patna and enjoy a calm and serene boat ride with your loved one, across the shimmering waters of the picturesque Ganges. As you ride on the traditional boat, you can soak in the postcard-perfect views of the flamboyant cityscape. You can also see the sun slowly go down the horizon and marvel at the reddish orange rays that beautifully cover the blue waters of the river.
8. Enjoy a Show at Patna Planetarium: One of the most kids-friendly things to do in Patna with your little ones is to take them for an exciting sky show at the renowned Indira Gandhi Planetarium, which is better known as the Patna Planetarium. While you are here, at one of Asia’s oldest planetariums, you can watch an educational science film on astronomy and take home a bag of space knowledge. After the show, you can also take some time to walk through the interesting and innovative exhibitions hosted in this planetarium for the visitors.
Location:Indira Gandhi Science Complex, Buddha Road, Adalatganj, Veer Chand Patel Area, Patna- 800001, Bihar
Price:INR 50 per head
Timings:11 AM to 5.30 PM, Closed on Monday
9. Visit Jalan Museum: Take a walk through the rich history preserved beautifully at the privately owned Jalan Museum. You can witness interesting collections of artefacts from the Mughal era. You can also spot over 10,000 artefacts from the modern period. One of the most important attractions that you should not miss out on at Jalan Museum is the age-old wooden bed of Napoleon III.
Location:Quila Rd, Hajiganj, Patna, Bihar 800008
Timings:Monday to Saturday - 9 AM to 11.30 AM, Sunday - 9 AM to 1 PM & 3 PM to 6 PM
10. Stroll at Sanjay Gandhi National Park: Pay a visit to the Sanjay Gandhi Jaivik Udhyan and spend time encountering the 800 animal and plant species residing here. You can take an exciting jungle walk here and spot the royal Bengal tiger, the one-horned rhinos, chimpanzees, hippopotamuses, elephants, lions, monkeys, zebras, and umpteen varieties of colourful birds. You can also visit the aquarium lying on a man-made island and witness over 30 rare fish species. You can even check out the beautiful rose garden, the green house, the tree house, the herbal garden, and the snake house.
Location:Raj Bhavan, Bailey Rd, Rajbansi Nagar, Patna, Bihar 800001
Price:INR 30 per head for adults, INR 5 per head for children
Timings:5 AM to 6 PM, Closed on Monday
What are the adventurous things to do in and near Patna?
1. Ganga Kayaking Tour: Ride through the delightful waves of the Ganges as you row your kayal along its blissful waters. Spend your day enjoying this adventurous activity while enjoying the serenity that will be surrounding you.
2. Valmiki Nagar Rafting: Take a raft towards the scenic Gandak River and spend your evening rafting along its various rapids. You will be provided with all basic safety equipment to ensure a perfect activity session.
3. Patna Paramotoring Tour: Glide over some of the most iconic spots in Patna by opting for a session of Paramotoring. Fly upto 500 metres in the sky and catch a picture perfect birds eye view of the beauty surrounding you.
4. Rajgir Trekking Tour: What can be more thrilling than trekking towards the top of a hill from where you can gaze into the panoramic view of the low lying clouds and plains. When in Patna, make sure that you enjoy a trekking tour to the top of Rajgir Hill to enjoy a perfect dose of scenery as well as thrill.
What is Patna famous for?
Patna city is known popularly for its age-old museums with extensive collection of historical artefacts, ancient Buddhist and Hindu temples, beautifully architecture historical monuments, lively and colourful street markets, and amazingly handcrafted Madhubani paintings.
How to reach Patna?- By Road: Various connections of national highways run through the middle of Patna City, therefore making it easy for tourists to reach through the roads. You can either take your own vehicle via NH31 or can hire cab service/roadways which ply on an hourly basis to and from the city.
- By Rail: The Patna Junction is the main railway junction in Bihar and one can easily book trains up to here from surrounding cities as well as the neighbouring states.
- By Air: The Jayaprakash Narayan Airport is the main airport of Bihar, which sits in Patna. The airport carries various flights everyday by Air India, Go Air and others and is well connected to places like Delhi, Jaipur, Chennai, Pune and Bangalore.
- By River: Since the stream of Ganga River passes through Patna, one can also visit here by a boat or a cruise. The river remains navigable all year round, making the traversing even more comfortable.
Is Patna worth visiting?
Yes, Patna is absolutely worth visiting for all kinds of travelers, including history buffs, spiritual seekers, and shoppaholics. The historical monuments and museums of the city will offer you a sneak peek into the rich past of the state of Bihar.
With the numerous Hindu, Buddhist, and Islamic shrines present here, you can find yourself closer to spirituality. You can also take a shopping spree in the bustling street markets of the city and shop extravagantly for amazing souvenirs.
What is famous food in Patna?
The most recommended Bihari delicacies you can relish in Patna city include Litti Chokha, Thekua, Nivedyam, Chandrakala, Dal Peda, Kesar Peda, Parwal ki Mithai, Malpua, Kachori, and Patna Chaat.
What is the best time to visit Patna?
The best time to visit Patna is during the winter months of October to March. During this time of the year, the temperature of the city is mild and the weather is salubrious, supporting all kinds of outdoor activities, including sightseeing and street shopping.
What are the best historical experiences in Patna?
1. Pay a Visit to Agam Kuan: Visit Agam Kuan, a 105 feet deep well built by King Ashoka for imprisoning and torturing people. Admire this red structure and pay homage, as Agam Kuan is now considered as a spiritual site.
2. Walk Through the Galleries of the Patna Museum: Take a walk through the various galleries of the Patna Museum, including Stone Sculpture Gallery, Natural History Gallery, Painting Gallery, and Buddha Relic Gallery & explore an array of historic objects.
3. Admire the Ancient Culture at Kumrahar: Pay a visit to the ancient quaint town of Kumrahar and admire the ruins of Pataliputra. Take a tour of the small museum here and witness ancient ornaments, utensils, terracotta beads, toy carts, and copper coins.
4. Take an Educational Tour at Sri Krishna Science Centre: Walk through the Sri Krishna Science Centre and spot the sundial, learn about human evolution, watch the 3D show, and visit the Dinosaur Park.
Synonymous with fun and thrills, Hungama World in Patna is one of the biggest water-cum-amusement parks in northern India. After its construction and inauguration in 2014, it has emerged as the most popular themed water park in the city of Patna. It has numerous stunning rides and attractions to get your heart pumping and give you the thrill you’ve been looking for. The park has prudently curated land and water rides for all ages that are a fun-filled experience.The water park has multiple pools that serve as the park’s principal attractions. Apart from these attributes, the park further has gorgeous lush green lawns. It has a play area for kids and an amusement park in its premises, widely attracting people from all walks of life. This park has all the bells and whistles desired in a water-cum-amusement park making it the ideal destination for any occasion, be it a weekend getaway or a last minute picnic spot. This park, with its tower slides and rides like a roller coaster promises a ton of fun. Moreover, due to its prime location, it also has several eye-catching places nearby that you would certainly want to visit.Location: Danapur Bihta Road, National Highway, Patna, Bihar 800111Best Time to visit: Hungama World is an intricately curated and designed water park that provides utmost enjoyment to its guests year round.
Rajendra Smriti Sangrahalaya is one of the Tourist Attractions in Patna for history and political lovers. It is devoted to the works and life of India’s first president of India- Dr. Rajendra Prasad. Here you can learn and live the life of Dr. Rajendra Prasad. He lived and worked here since the establishment of Bihar Vidyapeeth on 6th February 1921.Facts:-Being dedicated to the life and the work of Dr. Rajendra Prasad, this gallery consists of an accumulation of his belongings like pens, garments, books, watches and much more.-Inside the gallery lies an exhibition hall which exhibits various items and artefacts related to him.Location: Bankipur- Danapur Road, Sadaquat Ashram, Patna, Bihar 800010.Price: INR 50.Best Time to Visit: September to March.
The Jalan Museum or the Quila House is a private museum located in the capital city of Bihar. With more than 10,000 artifacts and souvenirs up for display in this museum, it is a perfect place if you love to explore historical artifacts. Inside the museum you will find various different artefacts ranging from a dinner service set which belonged to George III, Napoleon’s Four Poster Bed, Marie Antoinette’s Servers Porcelain and various Mughal Silver Filigree Artworks. It was established by Diwan Bahadur and his family members and is seriously massive in size. This is a private museum and you will need permission 48 hours before the day of the visit. The Jalan Family still continues to live in one part of this palatial building. That is why you will need special permission from the authorities before visiting this one of the best places to visit in Patna.Location: Quila Rd, Hajiganj, Patna, Bihar 800008.Best time to visit: August to October and March to April.