1. Explore the Panhala Fort: Panhala Fort happens to be one of the most important and strategically crucial forts in Kolhapur. It has got an amazing repository of history and visiting the same during your trip to Kolhapur, you will be able to learn more about the times gone by. The fort was constructed in the 12th century and his home to some of the important structures like Teen Darwaza, Konkan Darwaja, Andhar Bavadi and the Kalavantinicha Mahal. You must include visiting this age old fortress in your Things to Do in Kolhapur.
- Timings: 7:00 am to 2:30 pm
- Entry fee: INR 120
2. Spend time with the diverse wildlife at the Kolhapur zoo: Kolhapur zoo is home to a green and picturesque setting in a small area that is just perfect to attract nature and wildlife lovers. The zoo is located close to the New Palace Lake and is famous for its avian exhibits including flamingos, peacocks, emus and a wide variety of deer. Coming over to this zoo, you can spend time with the animals and get to learn more about their behaviour as well. If you are wondering what to do in Kolhapur, then this would be one of the best Things to do in Kolhapur as you will be driving up to the zoo and relishing the ultimate lush greenery all around.
- Timings: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
- Entry Fee: INR 15
3. Hangout in the Rankala Lake: Rankala Lake is one of the most recognisable tourist attractions in the city of Kolhapur because of its picturesque setting. This lake has been serving as one of the most visited places for hanging out in the evening hours. Many native residents as well as tourists love to come over to this place in the morning hours as well as in the evening hours to relax. This has been one of the must things to do in Kolhapur. The lake complex has well laid out walkways and seating areas which is again surrounded by different gardens and green spaces.
- Timings: 7:00 am to 2:30 pm
- Entry Fee: Starting INR 120 per person
4. Stroll across shops in Shivaji Market: Shivaji Market is one of the popular shopping destinations in the industrial township of Kolhapur. It is one such place where you will get authentic Kolhapuri leather goods. You will find small and big shops selling a wide range of products starting from jackets to shoes. In the evening hours, the local market gets bustling with many local street food joints selling local delicacies. Shopping in evening hours is one of the most sought after activities to Do in Kolhapur.
5. Taste the authentic Kolhapuri Cuisine: The cuisine of Kolhapur is bit spicy and has got loads of influence from Maharashtra. Veg Kolhapuri is one of the most popular dishes in Kolhapuri cuisine that you must try out in various north indian and Maharashtrian restaurants. The seafood preparations and chicken curry also holds a good place in the list of most loved Kolhapuri dishes. In the course of your stay, you must visit Phadatare Misal Kendra, Patlacha Wada, and Dehati to try out some of the popular dishes prepared authentically. Relishing quality food must be present in your bucket list of things to do in Kolhapur.
6. Stroll through the Siddhagiri Gramjivan Museum: Siddhagiri Gramjivan Museum is one of the best places to visit in Kolhapur if you wish to know more about the village life of Maharashtra before the rule of Mughals. This unique exhibition hall depicts a number of aspects of the local village life through zillions of replicas of residential hutment, village shops, traditional farm utilities, traditional medicine centres, temples, barber shops, and public water well. The museum is built over a seven acres complex located close to the Kaneri Math around Moola Kadsiddheshwar Shiva Temple.
- Timings: 9 AM to 6 PM.
- Entry Fee: INR 120
7. Offer prayers at the famous Mahalakshmi Temple: Mahalaxmi Temple in Kolhapur is one of the 108 auspicious Shakti Peethas of Hinduism which attracts millions of devotees from various parts of the country every single year. The place of worship has got a close connection with the Hindu Mythology. The place of worship dates back to almost the 7th century when the Chalukyas used to rule in Kolhapur. There is a notion that the presiding deities of the Mahalaxmi temple will on no occasion forsake their seat in the shrine even in the course of the Maha Pralay. Add visiting to this place in your list of activities to Do in Kolhapur and get the heavenly blessings of lord.