Activities to Do in KhandalaAre you looking for the best things to do in Khandala on your upcoming vacation? If yes, then get ready to be flooded with umpteen choices. Reckoned as one of the most popular getaways for the locals of Maharashtra, Khandala is enveloped by the verdant terrains of the Western Ghats. Whether you want to set your adrenaline rushing or take a respite from the chaotic city life, this place has something for everyone.
Trek your way up to the gigantic Rajmachi Fort, embrace the beauty of nature at Lohagad, or spend some hours uncovering the historical treasures at Bedsa Caves- there is no dearth of activities to do in Khandala. If you are heading to this idyllic destination with your family, plan a camping tour at Pawna Lake and spend your night gazing at the sky full of shimmering stars.
From peace seekers and adventure buffs to family vacationers, everyone flocks to this stunning location in search of the much-needed break from their humdrum routine. Mesmerizing lakes, verdant hills, and meandering paths passing through the scenic landscapes of Western Ghats- Khandala has one of its kind topography to offer. This is not all. If you are still confused about what to do in Khandala, scroll down and read about the most exciting things that you shouldn’t miss on your Khandala excursion.
Things to Do in Khandala
People Also Ask About Khandala Things To Do
Which are the best things to do in Khandala?
1. Refresh yourself at Kune Waterfalls: If escaping away from the hustle and bustle of city life is your idea of a fun-filled holiday, make your way to Kune Waterfalls- a magnificent fall nestled at an altitude of 200 meters. While here, bask in the charm of its dense green forests, or just laze around and let the fresh air of mountains do its magic. A few minute-walk from here will take you to the Kune Church where you can offer your prayers to the Lord Almighty in absolute peace.
2. Pay a visit to Shingroba Temple: For all those travellers who want to add a dash of spirituality to their Khandala trip, visiting Shingroba Temple is one of the most pleasant things to do in Khandala. Cradled between Khandala and Khopoli, on the Old Khandala Ghat, this religious spot is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Its architectural splendour is another feature that makes it a tourist jewel. This historic temple looks outstanding with its epic shrine which is adorned with beautiful carvings on its pillars and walls.
- Location:Old Khandala Ghat, Khopoli, Maharashtra
- Timings:5 am- 11 am and 4pm-8pm
Planning a trip to Khandala, Checkout our best selling Khandala Trip Packages
3. Soak in the peaceful vibes of Bhushi Lake: Searching for a quiet spot to unwind with your friends or family members? Set out on a trip to Bhushi Lake and experience the beauty of nature like never before. Sitting right next to Bhushi Dam, it looks serene with its crystal clear water and a variety of birds hovering around. If you are in a mood to take your life down a notch, visiting this ethereal destination is one of the most peaceful activities to do in Khandala.
4. Set your adrenaline racing with a trek to Manoranjan Fort: A beauty from the bygone era, Manoranjan Fort sits conveniently on the west side of Rajmachi town. Though this fort is currently in ruins, it was originally built to keep a keen eye on the Manoranjan Hills. If you enjoy indulging in activities such as hiking, you would love to walk through the scenic trails leading to this hill fort. After climbing to the peak, you will be greeted by breathtaking views of the Manoranjan Plateau - a real treat for nature buffs.
- Location: Rajmachi
Planning a Honeymoon Trip to Khandala, Checkout the best Khanadal Honeymoon Packages
5. Indulge in nature’s photography at Reversing Station: Here is a perfect destination for all those explorers who are looking for some offbeat activities to do in Khandala. Earlier used by the railway department, Reversing Station is currently a favored destination among nature enthusiasts. Boasting panoramic sites and serene surroundings, this station is a go-to spot for loners who seek tranquility. While here, spend your time admiring the beautiful vistas around or click on some amazing photographs to cherish for lifetime.
- Location: Reversing Station, near Rajmachi, Khandala
6. Head for a shopping spree: Shopping is one of the most popular things to do in Khandala. From sweets such as chikki to locally handcrafted clothes, Khandala has enough in its reserve to satiate the shopaholic in you. Though you might not find many extravagant boutiques around, the local shopping scenes and warm hospitality will win your heart in no time. If you love finishing off your look with a beautiful handbag or purse, don’t forget to visit Aher Bag- a one-stop destination for handbag lovers!
- Location: Khandala Market, Khandala
Preparing for a Travel to Lonavala, Checkout our best selling Lonavala Tour Packages
7. Embrace the beauty of nature at Lion’s Point: Witness the beautiful convergence of lush green hills, pristine lakes, and gushing waterfalls at this small view point in Khandala. Snuggled between Aamby Valley and Bhushi Dam, Lion’s point offers sweeping vistas of panoramic Western Ghats and Shivling peak. This place is 12 km away from the Khandala town and is mostly frequented during the monsoon season.
8. Rediscover the ancient Karla and Bhaja caves: If you want your Khandala trip to be a blend of adventure and history, don’t miss out on these ancient caves which date back their existence to 160 BC. Developed during Satavahana’s rule, Karla and Bhaja Caves depict classic rock-cut architecture and Lord Buddha carvings on their walls and pillars. These are a group of 22 caves surrounded by abundant natural landscapes and a pristine waterfall where you can halt for a refreshing dip.
- Location:Bhaja Caves Road, Bhaja Village, Lonavala, Maharashtra
Planning a Getaway to Nashik, Checkout our best selling Nashik Tour Packages
What are the romantic things to do in Khandala?
1. Go for romantic camping at Pawna Lake: Sitting just 10 Km away from Kamshet, Pawana Lake is everything that a dream destination could be and more! A large number of couples flock here to camp together under the starlit sky with spellbinding views of lake and verdant hills all around them.
Serving as a perfect retreat for the couples, this lake beauty appears even more romantic with soulful music playing in the background and a BBQ dinner pampering your taste buds.
2. Spend some quality time at Duke’s Nose: Confused about what to do in Khandala to take your chemistry with your better half to the next level? If yes, then look no further than Duke’s Nose- a picturesque vantage point just 7 Km away from Lonavala.
Couples gather here to form some indelible memories together while soaking in the panoramic vistas of Sahyadri Ranges, and the nearby valleys. With its unadulterated views and serene location, this place is certainly a good romantic escape for the love birds.
Sketching Out a Journey to Mahabaleshwar, Checkout our best selling Mahabaleshwar Packages
3. Bask in the charm of nature at Shooting Point: Boasting an aerial view of Rajmachi Fort and the adjacent valley, Shooting Point serves as an ideal spot to cherish few moments of togetherness with your better half.
Whether you wish to take a respite from the bustling city life or you are looking for ways to rekindle the flame of romance with your partner, this viewpoint has it all to deserve your attention. If you have spare time, don’t forget to visit St. Mary’s Villa- a family spot situated nearby the Shooting Point.
What are the best adventure activities to do in Khandala?
1. Climb up the meandering trails to The Tiger’s Leap: Travel is incomplete without a little bit of adventure here and there. If you are hunting for adrenaline things to do in Khandala, pack your trekking bag and leave for a hike to The Tiger’s Leap.
Situated at an altitude of 650 meters, this spot awaits your presence with stellar views of the Western Ghats and nearby hillocks. Additionally, it also houses an echo point where you can shout out the names and hear them coming back from the valley.
2. Hike all the way up to Rajmachi Fort: Reckoned as one of the most sought-after trekking spots, Rajmachi Fort invites you with its unbound beauty and meandering trails. Dating its existence back to the Shivaji’s reign, this fort is cradled amidst valleys, waterfalls, quaint hamlets, and deep gorges. A homogeneous blend of beauty and adventure, Rajmachi Fort trek is a necessary inclusion in your travel itinerary if you are wondering what to do in Khandala to get your adrenaline high.
Checkout & Book: Rajmachi Fort Trek and Camping
3. Head for an enthralling hike to Visapur Fort: One of the most exciting things to do in Khandala, Visapur Fort trekking invites you with its rocky yet picturesque trails. The climb begins at Bhaje village and continues for 2.5 to 3 hours.
The fort is nestled at an altitude of 1084 meters and has a thick blanket of lush greenery all around it. If you want to make the most of this trek, plan your visit in the monsoon season when this place looks no lesser than a dream with abundant greenery, cascading waterfalls, and floating clouds.
Planning a holiday to Silvassa, Checkout our best-selling Silvassa Packages
What are famous treks in and around Khandala?
1. Lohagad Fort trek: An easy trek, ideal for both beginners, as well as seasoned trekkers, Lohagad Fort trek takes you to an altitude of 3400 feet from where you can admire the aerial views of Malavali region. Built in the 18th century, this fort attracts both nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts. Winter and rainy season remain the best time to enjoy this panoramic route.
2. Tungarli Lake trek: With so many lakes, historical forts, and waterfalls around, there is no dearth of things to do in Khandala. If you want to escape from your humdrum life, here is a short and beautiful trek for you which will reward you with the best views of Sahyadris. Tungarli Lake is located just outside the Lonavala region and it forms a perfect spot to unwind amidst the verdant hills. Just a short walk from here will take you to the Tungarli dam from where you can take in the spellbinding vistas of Rajmachi hills.
3. Rajmachi trek: A popular name among nature buffs and adrenaline junkies, Rajmachi trek needs no introduction. Whether you want to explore the rich history of this fort or bask in its unadulterated surroundings, this place has a lot to offer to its visitors. The fort is nestled right in the centre of Mumbai-Pune highway and can be accessed by two ways- one is through Lonavala region which takes you through an awe-inspiring trail, and another is along the Kondivade village.
4. Visapur Fort trek: Standing as a testimony to the prowess and strength of Peshwa rulers, this majestic structure sits at an altitude of 1084 m. One of the most beautiful treks to be done in the monsoon season, Visapur trek takes you through the surreal greenery, old houses, Peshwa’s palace, and caves. Being an easy level hike, it can also be attempted by beginners.
Planning a vacation to Ratnagiri, Checkout our best selling Ratnagiri Tour Packages
What are the famous campings sites in and near Khandala?
1. Pawna Lake: Looking for the best things to do in Khandala? Imagine lying under the stars with magnificent lake views on the backdrop and romantic music and BBQ adding to the beauty of the moment? If this makes your heart skip a beat, Pawna Lake camping is a must-try activity for you.
An ideal activity near Pune and Lonavala, Pawna Lake camping is a dream outing for any adventure buff who fancies the idea of lakeside campfires, open space, and tent houses. The lake is also surrounded by numerous historical forts which can be explored after camping.
2. Canyon Valley: Snuggled between Lonavala and Khandala, Canyon Valley can be reached after a 2-hour long trek. After reaching here, visitors can enjoy bonfire sessions or ascend Canyon valley.
The valley is enveloped by abundant foliage and has a serene Ulhas River flowing across it. If you are searching for a quiet getaway near Pune and Mumbai, this valley certainly could be your dream escape.
Planning a trip to Lavasa, Checkout our best selling Lavasa Tour Packages
What is the best time to visit Khandala?
With its average temperature below 40 degrees throughout the year, Khandala is a year-round destination. However, if you want to make the most of your Khandala tour, visit here in the monsoon season, i.e, from July to September. During this time, the town looks no lesser than a paradise with lush green blankets all around and refreshing drizzles of rain every now and then.
Additionally, you can also visit here from April to June to beat the scorching summer heat of Maharashtra. The winters in Khandala begins from October and continues till the middle of the March month. During this time, the town experiences pleasant weather and the minimum temperature measures up to 12 degrees. If you want to indulge in outdoor activities, this is an ideal time for you to embark on the Khandala tour.