Activities in ChristchurchExplore the International Antarctic Centre, Experience the famous Gondola ride, Relax at Hagley Park, Visit the shooting places of the Lord of the rings, Go to Quake city and many more.
For the ones wondering what things to do in Christchurch, this magnificent town offers a wide range of activities that you can experience, explore and participate in. If you are a thrill-lover, then you must go hiking at Godley Head or try bungee jumping. You could even do the impossible and fly a helicopter. However, if you are a nature lover, then you can visit the serene Port Hills or take a look at the diversified wildlife species at the national parks.
If you are thinking about what to do in Christchurch NZ with your partner, there is no shortage of activities. You can have a romantic dinner at the Christchurch Tramway Restaurant or get cozy on the punting experience in the Avon River. Before leaving the town, do not miss the opportunity to experience the much-talked-about nightlife of Christchurch. Moreover, you can also visit the unconventional cinema or dine at one of the several restaurants to end your days.
Places to Visit and Things to Do in Christchurch
People Also Ask About Christchurch Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Christchurch?
1. Explore the International Antarctic Centre: One of the best things to do in Christchurch is to visit the International Antarctic Center, where the museum offers an intriguing insight into the almost aloof continent – Antarctica. It is an excellent way to experience the adventure of exploring Antarctica without any discomforts.
Some of the most popular attractions include the Hägglund vehicle rides and the indoor Antarctic storm room, which is actually a simulation technique that you can enjoy without any concern for safety. Furthermore, you can also admire the cute blue penguins.
Location: 38 Orchard Road, Harewood
Price: 59 NZD
Timings: 9 am to 5:30 pm every day
2. Experience the famous Gondola ride: A bird’s view of Christchurch will offer you some of the most enticing scenic visuals, such as the flattering valleys and the Canterbury Plains and you can also admire the unflinching beauty of the Banks Peninsula and the Southern Alps.
With a base station at the Heathcote Valley, the gondola makes a pit stop at the Summit station, where you can step out and enjoy the time tunnel, eat in the Red Rock Café and shop some souvenirs, while creating unforgettable memories.
Location: 10 Bridle Path Road, Heathcote Valley
Price: 30 NZD
Timings: 10am - 4pm every day
3. Relax at Hagley Park: Situated right beside the Christchurch Botanic Gardens, Hagley Park boasts of being one of the biggest green open spaces in the entirety of the city. It has a total area of 406.7 acres and has been a crucial part of the city for decades.
The park hosts different events and recreational facilities, and you can just come in to get a breath of fresh air which is one of the best things to do in Christchurch.
Location: 14 Riccarton Avenue, Christchurch Central Christchurch
4. Visit the shooting places of the Lord of the rings: Are you a hard-core fan of the Lord of the rings and want to know more about the location of the shootings? Well, Christchurch offers you the opportunity to visit the different places where the famous movie franchise was shot, such as Gardens of Isengard, Edoras, Shire, and Helms Deep.
Moreover, the panoramic view of nature around will leave you breathless and make this one of the top-rated things to do in Christchurch.
Location: Helms Deep, Shire, Gardens of Isengard, Edoras, etc.
5. Go to Quake city: Though the naming of the place has the city in it, it is essentially a well-designed museum depicting the disastrous effect of the natural disasters that struck the city on 22-02-2011. The museum is interactive and allows tourists to understand the foundation of present-day Christchurch, making it one of the most vital things to do in Christchurch.
Location: 299 Durham Street North, Corner Armagh Street, Christchurch
Price: 20 NZD
Timings: 10.00 am to 5.00 pm, every day
6. Marvel at the beauty of Akora: If you want a hint of the famous French streak, then you will find it abundantly at this township of Akora. Here, you will be mesmerized by the magnificent beauty of the colonial architecture, and you can also opt for the wildlife harbor cruises to get a glimpse of the coveted Hector's Dolphin and penguins.
Other than that, you must try the delectable dishes found here and make a quick visit to the indescribably beautiful mosaic garden.
Location: 1 hour and 20 minutes from Christchurch
7. Explore the New Regent Street: Established in the early part of the 1930s, the New Regent Street is actually a pedestrian mall that has the architectural flair of the Spanish Mission. With bright colored buildings, numerous restaurants, and excellent bars, it is the most hyped place in Christchurch and offers you several things to do at once.
Here, you can grab dinner at the Twenty Seven Steps, enjoy an exciting play at the Isaac Theatre, or simply stroll along and discover the hidden gems. With multiple options of entertainment at hand, no wonder exploring it is one of the best things to do in Christchurch.
Location: Christchurch Central City, Christchurch
8. Book a seat for the TraNZAlpine Train: If you want to encounter one of the most breathtaking train journeys from Christchurch to Greymouth while admiring the stunning visuals of the alpine terrain, then you must opt for the exciting TraNZAlpine Train ride.
The journey covers around 233 kilometers and takes just about 5 hours while traipsing the guests through the mesmerizing Canterbury Plains and the sight of the majestic Southern Alps. With different classes to choose from, you can have the experience of a lifetime, so make sure that you tick this in your top-most things to do in Christchurch.
Location: Christchurch Railway Station, Troup Drive, Addington Christchurch
Price: Starts from 189 NZD per individual
Timings: 08:15 am to 18:31 pm (train schedule)
9. Visit the Cardboard Cathedral: Initially designed as a replacement for the Christ Church Cathedral that was ruined due to an earthquake, the Cardboard Cathedral is now one of the most revered places in Christchurch.
The credit for the impeccable design goes to Shigeru Ban, and the cathedral opened its door to the public in 2013. The intriguing architecture, triangular-shaped glass windows, and cardboard tubes will leave you mesmerized, making it one of the best things to do in Christchurch.
Location: 234 Hereford Street, Christchurch
Price: If you want, you can take a guided tour costing 5 NZD
Timings: 9 am to 4 pm on Monday to Saturday. On Sunday, the timings are 7:30 am to 5 pm
10. Admire the beauty of Port Hills: If you are looking for a place to simply admire the unfiltered beauty of nature while soaking in the tranquil ambiance, then visiting Port Hills is an ideal choice.
After all, it is one of the most popular places to visit in Christchurch and derive its name due to numerous hills that you can observe between the port of Lyttelton and Christchurch. Here, you will find reserves, public parks, and mountain bike tracks for adventure enthusiasts, making it one of the most highly rated things to do in Christchurch.
Location: Port Hills, Canterbury
What are the best adventure activities to do in Christchurch?
1. Experience Bungee jumping: If you are wondering what to do in Christchurch NZ, you can try bungee jumping. The thrill you will get when you fall from the edge will give the boost of adrenaline that you desperately desire.
2. Opt for flying a helicopter: Is flying a helicopter by yourself on your bucket list? Then, you can tick it off and enjoy the adventure-thrilling experience of taking off and landing while cruising the air for at least thirty minutes with instructions from a trained guide.
3. Participate in rafting: No matter your experience in rafting, you can chase the thrill of riding out the river water in the Rangitata River. If you are a thrill-seeker and have never tried this before, it is the perfect time to enact your fantasies.
4. Try jet boating: One of the most exciting activities in Christchurch is experiencing boating in the gorgeous Waimakariri River. The breakneck speed when you ride down the waves will give you a thrill like no other.
5. Get the thrill of hiking: While Christchurch has plenty of hiking paths, the one leading to Godley Head stands out spectacularly. Apart from the historical significance, the trail offers unparalleled views and the opportunity to witness dolphins, penguins, and more.
What are the best things to do in Christchurch at night?
1. Opt for a night tour of the Christchurch Art gallery: One of the best activities in Christchurch that you must do is to opt for the 50 minutes night tour of the Christchurch Art gallery. It is scheduled every Wednesday till 9, and you can enjoy the mesmerizing exhibitions and collections.
2. Get a front seat view of the cultural performance at Ko Tane: Located within the Willowbank Wildlife Reserve, Ko Tane offers a unique Maori cultural experience. Here, you can understand more about the indigenous traditions and savored delicious hangi dinners.
3. Scourge the St Asaph Street for a party: If you are thinking about what to do in Christchurch NZ, what better answer than parting away. You will find several bars and nightclubs in St Asaph Street.
4. Watch movies with dramatics: The cinema watching experience in Christchurch is far from the normal norm. Visit the Deluxe Cinema and enjoy movies while you gorge on delicious cheese platters and craft beer, or for some vintage vibes, you can explore Alice in Videoland.
What are the best things to do in Christchurch for couples?
1. Take a cozy stroll along with the Botanic Gardens: The panoramic view of the Botanic Garden coupled with rose trees, innovative water features, and the lovely vibes make it a fan-favorite among the things to do in Christchurch for couples.
2. Book a wine tour: Surprise your partner with a private wine tour at the Waipara Valley and enjoy some alone time together.
3. Plan a romantic dinner at the Christchurch Tramway Restaurant: What could be more romantic than booking a table at the Christchurch Tramway Restaurant? Here, you can hold hands, taste a delicious four-course meal, and view some prominent attraction sites.
4. Have a once in a lifetime experience of punting: One of the best things to do in Christchurch for couples is to admire the ethereal beauty of nature while you ride on a boat in the Avon River. With a punter propelling the boat, you can gaze out while cozying up with your partner.
What are the best free things to do in Christchurch?
1. Visit the Canterbury Museum: Interested in the history and culture of New Zealand? Then, a visit to the Canterbury Museum is a must.
2. Explore Brockworth Street: You just need to visit Brockworth Street to estimate the kind of talent that Christchurch oozes. Here, you will see the brick walls used as a canvas for painting, and when you are in awe of these, you will find it one of the top-rated free things to do in Christchurch.
3. Stroll along the Bridle Path walk: If you want to have a scenic view of the city without paying for the Gondola, you can simply walk along the Bridle Path walk.
4. Relax at Summer Beach: If you want to soak in the serene ambiance with sand underneath, then a visit to the Summer Beach is an ideal option. Here, you explore the caves or experience fishing, making it one of the best free things to do in Christchurch.
Which are the best wildlife parks in Christchurch?
1. Willowbank Wildlife Reserve: Undoubtedly, one of the most popular wildlife reserves is the Willowbank Wildlife Reserve. Here, there are three sections – Zoo/Exotic, New Zealand, Farmyard, and the major attraction is the intriguing Kiwi House.
2. Orana Wildlife Park: Credited for being the only open zoo in Christchurch, the Orana Wildlife Park boasts of the overly hyped Lion Encounter. Moreover, here you will get to see tigers, giraffes, gorillas, etc.