Activities to Do in AucklandZipline tour at Waiheke Island, Skywalk and Skyjump at the Sky Tower, Bungee jumping, Skydive, Canyoning, Visit Auckland Zoo, Explore Sea Life Aquarium, Waitomo Glowworm Cave tour, Taste wine at the Flight Winery of Heron and many more.
The things to do in Auckland range from exciting adventure sports to mesmerizing cruising alternatives galore. You can ferry to the oldest riverside tavern of New Zealand and retrace the early Maori settlers’ route. If you are a passionate stargazer then there is nothing like visiting the Dark Sky Sanctuary of the Great Barrier Island.
Sky jumping and skywalking at the Sky Tower of Auckland are included in the most popular 10 things to do in Auckland New Zealand. It is a surreal feeling to sky jump while you take in breathtaking views of the entire region with just a wire between you and the ground. You can set out for a guided cruise boarding the “Shuckle Ferry” to drift along the Mahurangi Harbor. Shuck the juicy clams and oysters during the voyage and treat yourself to a hearty dinner at night. Make the most of your holidays in Kiwi-style by setting forth on a sunset tour with the sea kayaks of Auckland and paddle to the dormant volcano at Rangitoto Island, besides so much more.
Things to Do in Auckland
People Also Ask About Auckland Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Auckland?
1. Taking an express tour of the Waitomo Glowworm Cave: On this 45-minute express tour of the Waitomo Cave marvel at the stunning limestone formations and get amazed by the view of irradiating glowworms illuminating the grotto. The pristine beauty of the cave will take your breath away and you will long for a second visit to this shining cave.
Location: 39 Waitomo Village Road, Waitomo 3977, New Zealand
Price: 36.92 NZD per adult
Timings: 9.30 AM, 11AM, 1 PM, 2.30 PM, and 4 PM
2. A native forest and zipline tour at Waiheke Island: Taking a ferry you reach the Waiheke island from Auckland city and embark on an island adventure here. You set out for a relaxing walk into the forest woodland and later zipline from one zone of the forest to the other. You will zip with 200 meters long cables high above ancient canopies of forest and lush green vineyards, soaking up incredible views.
Location: Hauraki Gulf of New Zealand
Price: 94.47 NZD per person
Timings: 10 AM - 5 PM
3. Marine adventure at Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium: For an out of the blue adventure head to the topsy turvy Kelly Tarlton’s Sea Aquarium that has stingrays and sharks swimming around you in the transparent tunnels that used to be stormwater tanks. Unravel the striking secrets of the southern Ocean and revel in the magic of an underwater fantasyland. Here you get up close and personal with the playful Gentoo dolphins, and witness a massive collection of as many as 80 different species in the live animal exhibits. From jellyfish to penguins and stingrays you spot the most unique species here.
Location: 23 Tamaki Drive, Orakei, Auckland 1071, New Zealand
Price: 21.60 NZD per person
Timings: 9:30 AM - 5 PM
4. Skywalk and Skyjump at the Sky Tower: Feel the rush of adrenaline at Auckland’s tallest tower of 328 meters that allows you to walk on the edge, admire the sweeping views of the city and experience a lifetime of thrill as you sky jump from the highest point. The eleven seconds of freefall from a height of 192 meters, at a speed of 85 kph pulsates the racing beat of your heart. The SkyJump at the Sky tower is described as one of the safest base jumps as a wire is securely attached to you which brings you down smoothly. This activity lets you conquer your fear of heights and gives you a sense of achievement.
Location: Victoria Street West, Auckland Central, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Price: 117.06 NZD per adult
Timings: 10 AM - 8 PM
5. Explore the city of Auckland on an explorer bus: Personalize your itinerary at your own space and jump aboard a hop on and hop off explorer bus to see Auckland’s major attractions without paying a dime extra. You can choose between the 48-hour and 24-hour pass and enjoy the live commentary while the bus pauses at multiple stops. Without having to queue up you witness the marvelous destinations like Albert Park, Bastion Point, Auckland Museum, Viaduct Harbour, Auckland Gallery of Art, and so many others.
Location: Auckland city
Price: 25.67 NZD per person
Timings: 9 AM- 5 PM
6. Enjoy a delightful outing at the Auckland Zoo: Explore one of the largest wildlife homes, the Auckland zoo where over 135 different species and over 1400 wild animals reside. You will spot everything from red pandas, to cotton-top tamarins, capybara, fur seals, meerkat and baboons here in the mammal category. However, if you warm up to your feathered friends more then you will be pleased to spot the kiwi, gouldian finch, greater flamingo, macaw, kakariki, and rainbow lorikeet besides several others.
Location: Motions Rd, Auckland 1022, New Zealand
Timings: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Price: 17.54 NZD per person
7. Climb and bungee jump off the Harbor Bridge of Auckland: When in Auckland do not miss out on climbing this iconic eight-lane motorway bridge Waitemat? Harbour. You will enjoy stunning views of the entire cityscape of Auckland as you climb. However, if you are seeking extra thrill after an exciting walk on the bridge, you can bungee jump and plunge 131 feet below, to touch the surface of the ocean. Experts will guide you well before you leap from the bungee pod.
Location: Waitemat? Harbour in Auckland, New Zealand
Timings: 9:30 AM - 4 PM
Price: 106.25 NZD per adult
8. Skydive to enjoy spectacular views: Redefine freedom by experiencing the highest tandem skydive at the height of 20000 feet. During a skydive sesh at Auckland you get to experience the serenity of a parachute ride while soaking in the beauty of aerial views of Mt Taranaki and Hauraki Gulf.
Timings: 9-:00 AM slot, 12:00 PM slot
Price: 235.72 NZD per person
What are the best adventure activities to do in Auckland?
1. Tramp and camp at Rangitoto: If you are a nature and wildlife lover then spend a perfect time amidst wilderness at the Rangitoto Island. The island has the youngest volcano and is only a 25-minute ferry ride from the CBD of Auckland. You can take part on the ocean swim here, kayak, catch fish for dinner and try one of the thrilling things to do in Auckland that is overnight camping.
2. Feel your heart racing at the Vector Wero Whitewater Park: One of the popular 10 things to do in Auckland New Zealand includes visiting the first artificial watercourse of New Zealand, the Vector Wero Whitewater Park. You can kayak, raft and even stand-up paddle board, all under this man-made highest waterfall and feel your heart pounding.
3. Get dizzy on the Sky Tower: Watch your superhero dream come alive as you conquer the 328 meter tallest structure of the Southern Hemisphere at the Sky Tower. Sky jumping and dropping 192 meters below the Sky Tower is one of the daredevil 10 things to do in Auckland New Zealand.
4. Set forth on a canyoning adventure: Set out to explore the impressive rainforest of Waitakere to indulge in one of the most adventurous activities in Auckland, canyoning. You slip down natural slides of water, abseil, and jump freestyle during this power-backed activity.
5. Go bungee jumping at the Harbor Bridge: For a quintessential Auckland experience you must try one of the most iconic activities in Auckland and that involves bungee jumping off the majestic Auckland Harbor Bridge. The 40 meter leap lets you dip your head in the harbors refreshing water and feel invincible.
What are the best things to do in Auckland at night?
1. Indulge in night canyoning: One of the most enticing things to do in Auckland is to go night canyoning. This activity involves departing from the Auckland city and landing up at the evening playground of Waitakere Ranges. You get to slide, scramble, hike, swim, abseil and jump through a river canyon, all at night.
2. Set out to explore the night market of Auckland: If you are a night owl and love to wander about after the sun sets then one of the most fascinating things to do in Auckland is to experience the night market scene of Auckland. You can choose from any of the five night markets like Pakuranga or Papatoetoe and enjoy lip-smacking street food all through the night till early morning.
3. Escape to an escape room and boggle your brain: Do you have a thing for puzzles? Well, then escaping to an escape room and boggling your brain following some obscure clues is one of the most stimulating things to do in Auckland. Set your level of difficulty, tackle the puzzle in teams and escape before the venue closes.
4. Check out the nightclub scene: Out of the many fun things to do in Auckland hitting the club scene of Auckland is the most preferred. The nightlife at Auckland is stellar and you can always meet awesome people from all across the world at the hipster suburbs, hip and happening clubs and bars.
What are the best romantic things to do in Auckland?
1. Ride through the wild nature at the Muriwai Beach: A great adventure for couples is to go on an endless horse ride and what better than the Muriwai Beach to try that. You will enjoy the wild nature with your better half as you are taken through Muriwai Beach’s black sands up to the Woodhill forest.
2. Taste wine at the Flight Winery of Heron: If you are an oenophile and so is your partner then head to the winery at the Heron’s Flight and enjoy Italian varieties of Dolcetto and Sangiovese wine.
3. Enjoy a refreshing swim at the Karekare waterfalls: If you are a water baby then you will love this magical, hidden and beautiful place of Karekare waterfalls that has trees all around. You get to make the most of a cool shade while going down the water and enjoy a nice swim in the water stream close by.
What are the best things to do in south auckland?
1. Have fun and frolic at the Ambury Regional Park: Spending a fun day with the farm animals at the Ambury Regional Park is one of the most satisfying things to do in south Auckland. You can feed the rabbits, turkeys, chickens, goats, pigs and sheep here while watching the calves being fed.
2. See the shimmering city lights from the Sky Tower: You cannot miss the magnificent building in Auckland city that takes your nighttime adventure to a whole new level. One of the most heart-stirring things to do in Auckland is to reach the observatory deck of Sky Tower that lies at 220 meters above the ground, and watch the vibrant, sparkling city lights.
3. Feel the thrill at Rainbow’s End: One of the best things to do in south Auckland is to visit the legendary Rainbow’s End Theme Park that lets you sense your nerves with its heart-thumping Fearfall and 360-degree Stratosphere ride.
What are the best things to do in west Auckland?
1. Explore the finest Bethells Beach: If you are a nature freak head to the Bethells Beach and capture numerous summer selfies and photographs of the heavenly landscape here.
2. Pick strawberries and enjoy a delicious bowl of strawberry ice-cream at Kumeu: One of the most refreshing things to do in west Auckland is to head to Kumeu and spend a whale of time in the strawberry farms here. During the ripening season pick strawberries and enjoy delicious ice-creams made of them.
3. Spend time with the tall trees at the Rolling Green Hills: One of the most adventurous things to do in west Auckland is to dangle, swing and climb from humongous trees at the Rolling Green hills that is home to sky-touching lush green trees and native forests.
Can you bungee jump off the Auckland Sky Tower?
Yes, you can bungee jump off the Auckland Sky Tower and fall straight 192 meters down. Sky Jumping or bungee jumping is one of the most popular activities in Auckland that true dare devils experience.
Plunging down 53 floors, with just a wire between you and the building, at a speed of 85 kph gives 11 seconds of solid adrenaline. This activity operates from 10 AM – 6 PM daily thus choose a time slot of your choice to make the most of this thrilling experience.
Is it free to go up the Auckland Sky Tower?
No, it is not free to go up the Auckland Sky Tower. Adults aged 15 years and more have to pay thirty-two dollars, and children below the age of 6-14 years have to pay thirteen dollars. If your child is below five years then admission to the Sky tower is free.
Can you walk up the Auckland Sky Tower?
No, you cannot walk the Auckland Sky Tower as it is a real challenge to climb a total of 1267 steps. However, to enjoy the spectacular views from the viewing deck you can purchase an elevator pass that will permit you to reach the wide deck.
Is there a weight limit for zip lining at Waiheke Island?
Yes, there is a weight limit for zip lining at Waiheke Island. The minimum weight to undertake the activity is 30 kilograms (66 lbs) while the maximum weight limit is 125 kgs (275 lbs) kilograms. Anyone lighter than 30 kilograms and anyone heavier than 125 kilograms will not be permitted to zip line.
How much does it cost to go to Waitomo Caves?
For a 45-minutes tour of the Waitomo caves, you have to pay around 48 dollars. You will thoroughly enjoy the stunning formations in the caves besides seeing the glowworms as well as their webs.