What to Do in Bentota?
Go shopping at Ambalangoda, Try different therapies at Saman Villas, Stroll along the Bentota Beach, Take history lessons at Kande Vihara, Spend quality time with your loved ones in the Brief Garden, Hike to the Balapitiya, Witness cinnamon harvesting in Cinnamon Island, Indulge in the Water Sports Activities, Meet the marine creatures on a Whale Watching Tour, Visit the Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery and many more activities to do in Bentota.
The laid-back coastal town of Sri Lanka offers a plethora of things to do in Bentota. It is the true essence of chilled holiday living that entices the visitors through its fascinating water sports activities. You can indulge in fishing and diving while witnessing the exotic marine life underwater.
If you are still wondering what to do in Bentota, you can mingle with the friendly fishermen, stroll through the tranquil beaches, or pay a visit to the spiritual temples that show you the road of tranquility. If you are a nature lover, the Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery is one of those places that will surely attract you. Hiking to the Balapatiya is also a great option if you are fond of nature. People who love to have a taste of history can head to the Kande Vihara temple. Thus, Bentota serves anything and everything for all interest groups.
Paragliding, snorkeling, parasailing, and gazing at dolphin dance are some of the wonderful activities you can enjoy on your trip to Bentota. Moreover, witnessing the production and harvesting of cinnamon at Cinnamon Island is one of a kind experience for tourists. You should never miss an opportunity to explore this beautiful place and indulge in the enchanting activities in the coastal town of Sri Lanka.
Things to Do in Bentota
People Also Ask About Bentota Things To Do
Which are the best things to do in Bentota?
1. Try different therapies at Saman Villas: If you are looking for things to do in Bentota, you may proceed to Saman Villas. These villas feature remarkable spas where one can relax and rejuvenate for an active mind and soul. You will find several therapeutic facilities in the Saman Villas like fish spa, hot stone therapy, aromatherapy, and reflexology.
Tourists who want a unique spa experience can stay at this place during their trip to Bentota. All you need to do is book an appointment in advance, so you can completely relax your mind, body, and soul while enjoying the therapeutic procedures. It is advisable to carry a pair of clothes on your way to experience different therapies.
Location: Aturuwella, Bentota, Sri Lanka.
2. Go shopping at Ambalangoda: After sightseeing and enjoying the best things in Bentota, you can head on for a shopping expedition at Ambalangoda. Situated around 24 kilometers away from the city center, this coastal town swanks off the devil dancers and medieval devil masks. The majestic town of Ambalangoda is one of a kind due to its unique manufacture and production of wooden devil masks.
People in Ambalangoda have a spiritual connection with these masks. The town offers a multitude of antique shops that sell unique fancy jewelry items at affordable prices. Thus, if you are wondering what to do in Bentota, you can move to Ambalangoda to shop for ancient handicraft items like handwoven cotton, screens, lintels, and delicately carved wooden doors.
Location: Galle District, Southern Province, Sri Lanka.
3. Stroll along the Bentota Beach: Bentota is a store of plenty of peaceful and stunning beaches, and Bentota Beach is one of them. This beach welcomes tourists with attractive landscapes and swinging coconut trees. It is an iconic place to take a walk with your loved ones and spend some quality time with them.
The clean and tranquil surroundings of the beach add to the unwinding experience of the walk. You can also indulge in water sports activities like water skiing and boogie boarding. If you are one of those travelers who keep on contemplating what to do in Bentota, strolling on this gorgeous beach is the best option.
Location: Galle District, Southern Province, Sri Lanka.
4. Take history lessons at Kande Vihara: Other prominent activities to do in Bentota include diving into the historical sea of Kande Vihara. Kande Vihara is the most treasured monument of Sri Lanka. The beauty of this temple is that it lies below the cross-legged Buddha, which is one of the tallest in the world.
History buffs find satisfaction at this place as they get a chance to sneak peek into the historical culture of Bentota and its nearby areas. The temple has been recognized as one of the archaeological sites of the country. It remains true to its ethics, values, and traditions until now.
Location: Kande Vihara Yati Road, Berwala, Sri Lanka.
5. Spend quality time with your loved ones in the Brief Garden: A visit to the Brief Garden is among the other best things to do in Bentota. It is a captivating garden designed by a notable and skilled Sri Lankan artist named ‘Bevis Bawa’. You can spend some wonderful moments with your loved one among the swaying tropical trees, art, and magnificent imposing structures.
You can take a walk yourself or opt for a guided tour. After unfolding the treasures of the garden, you can head to the primary house for snacks with Dooland De Silva. Here, you will discover the eclectic range of artwork and sculptures.
Location: Kirantidiya, Sri Lanka.
6. Hike to the Balapitiya: Hiking to the Balapitiya is a surreal experience with your friends and family near the Madu river. Literally named the ‘Madu Ganga River Safari’, this place is an eternal paradise for both nature and bird lovers. The area is a rich abundance of an exotic variety of birds and mangrove trees.
You can even opt for cruising along the Madu River where you will encounter around one hundred and eleven species of birds in their habitat. You will find several other birds that are native to this region. Therefore, it is one of the best experiences in the arms of nature.
Location: Southern Province, Sri Lanka.
7. Witness cinnamon harvesting in Cinnamon Island: If you love fun and adventure, you can indulge in surfing and diving activities on Cinnamon Island. You can either relax on the sand or indulge in other recreational activities like scuba diving, surfing, and much more. If you are an adventurer thinking about what to do in Bentota, you must pay a visit to this island.
It is a beautiful and enchanting island where travelers can stand a chance to learn the production and harvesting techniques of cinnamon. You can witness the entire process of cinnamon production, including harvesting, peeling, oiling, and rolling.
Location: 73W4+PWF, Galle, Sri Lanka.
8. Indulge in the Water Sports Activities: It’s time to get your heart thumping with one of the best activities to do in Bentota. If you are a thrill-seeker, it is the perfect place for you. You can excite yourself with participation in a plethora of water sports activities along the pristine beaches of Bentota. You can take a kayak on rent and explore the waters yourself.
Or, you can opt for a jet-skiing ride along the water with your friends or your loved one. Similar to this, there are various water sports activities that are ideal for a fun-loving person. If you are the one that loves the excitement in your life, Bentota is that place that you are looking for.
9. Meet the marine creatures on a Whale Watching Tour: Among other best things in Bentota, meeting the marine creatures on a Whale Watching Tour is another best activity for animal lovers. The tour allows you to catch a glimpse of the huge marine creatures leaping out of the blue waters. The activity can be performed in groups by visiting the fishing at Koggala.
The afternoon time is an ideal time to witness new things on your whale-watching expedition. You will surely fall in love with this place and would want to visit this place again. It is one of a kind experience to see these beautiful water creatures from your own eyes.
Location: Galle Road, Bentota 80500, Sri Lanka.
10. Visit the Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery: Visiting the Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery should be on the top of your list of things to do in Bentota. It is like pure heaven to see the gathered eggs of sea turtles and tortoises that are preserved until they are hatched. The project named ‘Turtle hatchery Project’ was initiated for sea animal conservation and their survival enhancement.
You will discover multiple species of sea turtle eggs in this hatchery, including Green turtles, Loggerhead turtles, Hawksbill sea turtles, Olive Ridley turtles, and many more. Thus, it is one of the greatest initiatives by the Sri Lankan people to preserve marine wildlife and give something back to nature.
Location: 82MH+F4Q, Kosgoda, Sri Lanka.
What are the things to do in Bentota at night?
1. Take part in the floating party at Ceysands- You can dance to the tunes on the music at the floating discotheque in Ceysands. The place is a favorite hotspot for locals and tourists as it offers a wide range of live music, great food, and soothing drinks. Enjoying the enthralling party ambiance at night is one of the best things to do in Bentota.
2. Jazz up to the Music at My Kind of Place- My Kind of Place is another famous and uptown nightclub in Bentota that offers a cozy dance floor and peppy live music. It is an ideal place for party lovers and gastronomers. It is also well-known for its exotic cocktails and mouth watering seafood.
3. Dine out at the Golden Grill- Another best thing to do in Bentota is to dine out with your family and friends at the Golden Grill. It is the finest restaurant that serves sumptuous seafood delicacies. Some of the exotic dishes on the menu include lobster, tuna, crab, and prawns.
4. Enjoy the stunning ambiance from the Sea View Restaurant- Sea View Restaurant is an amazing place for night-outs in Bentota. The restaurant overlooks the beautiful views of the sea and features some delicious recipes of India, Continental, and fusion food.
What is the best month to go to Bentota?
The best month to visit Bentota is between November and April. During this time, the sea remains calm, and one can indulge in several water sports activities. The delightful temperature at this time of the year in Bentota is perfect to calm the senses and add spice to the adventurous trip. Excursions and swimming are also ideal during this season.
How to reach Bentota?
By Air- The only international airport in Sri Lanka is Bandaranaike International airport. Daily flights travel to and fro from Katunayake, which is an hour’s drive from Colombo. The place connects well by air with other parts of the world like India, the United States, Australia, Europe, the Middle East, and other parts of southeast Asia.
By Rail- There is a small railway station in Bentota where only a few trains halt. Aluthgama is the closest railway station to Bentota.
By Road- Buses are also well-connected to the major cities like Colombo and Galle.
What is Bentota famous for?
Bentota is famous for its mesmerizing coastal belts with green environs in the background and tall coconut and palm trees in the landscape. You will find the estuaries, lagoons, and the calm weather of Bentota like never before. The place is also prominent for its sparkling marine life and the relaxing beauty of the atmosphere.
Is it safe to go to Bentota?
Like other places in Sri Lanka, Bentota is also a safe place for tourists to visit and enjoy the fun and exciting things. You need to be very reckless, foolish, or unlucky to encounter theft or robbery. However, it is your responsibility to take due care of your valuables and important documents.
How many days are enough in Bentota?
For a trip to Bentota, three to four days are enough to explore the major attractions of the city. Your itinerary should include all the famous places of Bentota, including Cinnamon Island, Bentota Beach, Kande Vihara Temple, and much more. Within this time frame, you can collect all the memories of the place and cherish them for a lifetime.
Is Bentota an expensive city?
As far as travel is concerned, Bentota is not an expensive city. You must have a minimum budget of LKR 122 thousand to explore all the attractions in Bentota. You can also avail yourself of great discounts and deals on your trip to Bentota if you wish to travel through Thrillophilia.