Activities to Do in GermanyStroll Around Brandenburg Gate, Admire The Magnificence at Cologne Cathedral, Get lost at Miniatur Wunderland, See Berlin Wall, Visit Berchtesgaden National Park, Pay That Dream Visit at Neuschwanstein Castle and many more
The enthralling things to do in Germany lets you marvel around the country that is packed with history and heritage. Indulging in various sightseeing and exploration tours, you will be able to dive into the roots of the nation and get to know more the architectural designs and unique engineering concepts.
Activities to do in Germany like strolling around the Brandenburg Gate will give you insights about the age old classical monument while admiring the magnificence at Cologne Cathedral will give you a sneak peak of the spectacular statues. While you can get lost at the Miniatur Wunderland experiencing the marvelously designed miniature World, visiting the Berchtesgaden National Park will let you explore stunning views of nature.
Stop wandering about what can be done in Germany, if you are an adventure lover. Germany offers its visitors a wide range of adventure opportunities starting from surfing at Baltic Sea, Denmark, Hamburg, and North German, standup paddling at Berlin, Brandenburg, and Potsdam. You can even try out canoeing at Sauer valley and go diving into the Baltic Sea or in the clear waters of Alpine lakes.
People Also Ask About Germany Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Germany?
1. Stroll Around Brandenburg Gate: Known to be one of the oldest gates, Brandenburg Gate is a classical monument built in the past century and is located in Berlin. It is one of the populated areas of Germany which oftentimes get crowded with the people residing over there as well as the tourists.
It not only serves as a place with great historical importance that tells the story of past happenings but also a stunning landmark where you can witness the real fun of Germany enjoying live performances as well as many fun events and live shows.
Location: Pariser Platz, 10117 Berlin, Germany
2. Admire The Magnificence at Cologne Cathedral: The Cologne Cathedral is the largest as well as a magnificent landmark to be adored. Present in the heart of the city, this Cathedral draws the attention of every tourist with it's spectacular statues.
You can just climb up the 509 steps of the tower to see the world's largest church bell and get really immersed in the aesthetic scene of the river Rhine and the landscape view of the city of Cologne.
Location: Domkloster 4, 50667 Köln, Germany
3. Get lost at Miniatur Wunderland: Experience the marvelously designed miniature World at Miniatur Wunderland. The beautifully built artistic built-up of various countries and regions make this place completely spellbound.
It is a must-see place in Germany where you can find detailed descriptions of a place or a country displayed alike an exhibition is technically as well as physically incredible.
Location: Kehrwieder 2/Block D, 20457 Hamburg, Germany
4. See Berlin Wall: The famously famed Berlin Wall is the longest open air gallery with an incredible artistic wall painting displayed along the distant stretched walls. The visitors are completely free to roam around the gallery and seek the histories through the wall painting as it is considered one of the best things to do in Germany.
Location: Berlin, Germany
5. Visit Berchtesgaden National Park: Being a perfect getaway, Berchtesgaden National Park offers every visitor to seek the stunning views of the gorgeous hills. It'd be more of a magical place if you walk through the alps of great heights and witness the serene atmosphere. It is considered to be one of the best places to hike and trail.
In the heart of the Park, present the spectacular waterfall called Wimbachklamm waterfalls which is as exotic as the mountains.
Location: Berchtesgadener Str. 91, 83486 Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden, Germany
6. Pay That Dream Visit at Neuschwanstein Castle: Being one of the top attractions of Germany, Neuschwanstein Castle suffices to be the highest tower that seeks the magnificent built-up. With its incredible construction it is often regarded as the fairy land of the fairy tales ultimately becoming the most beautiful landmark of Germany. It is more of a magical place with lavish castle decor.
Location: Neuschwansteinstraße 20, 87645 Schwangau, Germany
7. Embark On A Thrilling Adventure at Europa Park: Get into the fun rehabilitation at Europa Park which is one of the largest parks of Germany that frames as a fantasized theme park. It has well constructed rides with fastest roller coasters to ride on.
The park hosts a large number of events like dance festivals and fun fairs which enchants the visitors. There are theatres, halls and many fun amenities to rely upon on a fun visit.
Location: Europa-Park-Straße 2, 77977 Rust, Germany
8. Explore The Historical Heart Of Munich at Marienplatz: Marienplatz happens to be the central square of Munich that has been existing since 1158. It is not only the city centre of Munich but it is rather the centre of all history and heritage this place has to offer.
Heading over to this place with your loved ones, you will be able to learn more about the past happenings as well as come across a number of age old architectural marvels that stand tall as a testimony to the glorious past.
Location: Marienplatz, 80331 München, Germany
9. Spend Some Moments Of Bliss at Englischer Garten: Englishcher Garten happens to be a very large public park that is located in the centre of Munich. The park stretches from the centre of the city to the northeastern limits of the city. The park was brought into being by Sir Benjamin Thompsn in the year 1789.
The park was designed as per the english architectural design moving ahead from the geometrically-designed French Baroque garden. Heading over to this place to indulge in some of the best things to do in Germany, you will be able to spend some amazing time with your loved ones in the middle of the alluring natural scenic beauty.
Location: Munich, Germany
10. Gaze In Wonder At The Fascinating Exhibits at Museum Island: From the top visited sites of Germany, Museum Island is one among those captivating attractions. This place is heaped with numerous museums like the Altes museum, the Neues museum,the Node museum and many more which has many galleries comprising arts and artifacts.
It also has many photo galleries which depict historical evidence through photographs.
Location: Berlin, Germany
What are the best adventure activities to do in Germany?
1. Skiing in Oberstdorf: Go for skiing on the longest downhill slope of Germany, the ski resort of Oberstdorf. You can also do a binational ski in a day by skiing in nearby Austria’s Kleinwalsertal ski area. There is the largest linked ski terrain that is made up of Kanzelwand and Fellhorn ski areas.
2. Sleep in Sky tents: Enjoy a unique camping experience by sleeping in a tent hanging from a tree at the resort. Climb into these tents to have a panoramic view of the Bavarian Alps surrounding the area. These sky tents have a duvet and a thin mat for you to sleep.
3. Log rafting on the Isar River: You can take a leisurely float on the crystal clear water of the Isar River on a traditional log raft. You can book an organised tour and reach the site while taking a break for meals in a riverside Biergarten.
Enjoy the live Bavarian music during raft by locals as it is considered one of the best things to do in Germany.
4. Sledging in Wallberg: Experience the longest natural sled run of Germany where you can sledge on numerous snow-covered hills, either with a modern sled or with a traditional wooden toboggan or even rent a sled on-site.
You can loop on continuous runs via the cable car system located there as it is considered one of the best things to do in Germany
5. Experience Rugen’s Chalk Cliffs: This is the largest island of Germany where you can stroll along the beaches, climb to a lighthouse for a view of the rugged coastline, and relax at a spa and sauna facility offered by numerous hotels there. You can also go for a swim in the cool waters along the towering chalk-white cliffs.
What are the best things to do in Germany for couples?
1. Explore the waves along Rugen: Make the most of your day with your partner by watching the waves from a canopied beach chair, exploring the Jasmund National Park’s primaeval beech forest, and see the chalk-white cliffs.
You can also take a sunset cruise, enjoy gourmet dinners, and relax with spa treatments at any of the beachside resorts.
2. Visit Spree Forest: Explore this majestic landscape of pastures and moorlands with your partner by getting a guesthouse or a cottage for a perfect romantic getaway can be considered as one of the best activities to do in Germany. You can rent a paddleboat or a traditional wooden barge to explore this little eerie biosphere reserve.
3. Enjoy a visit to the Berchtesgaden: This small town surrounded by snow-covered mountains is the most romantic place for couples who enjoy a little winter wonderland. You can hike along the snowshoe trails and enjoy skiing in the snowy landscape.
Completing your day with your partner by enjoying wine and food sitting in front of a fireplace is one of the most sought after activities to do in Germany.
4. Visit the villages of Moselle Valley: Explore this dreamy village with ancient castles, all located on vine-clad hills with a meandering river running through the hills. Make it a romantic and memorable trip by visiting the Burg Eltz, a castle located on a hilltop surrounded by forest and tasting the award-winning Riesling wine from the local areas as it is considered one of the best things to do in Germany.
5. Traverse through the historical lanes of Heidelberg: It is the most romantic city in Germany where you can explore several historic architectural structures including the castles on the hilltop and the old town’s cobblestoned streets together.
You can visit the Odenwald forest and the stunning Neckar river, and also watch the beautiful sunset with your partner.
What are the best water sports to do in Germany?
1. Surfing: The best surfing spots are located near the islands of the Wattenmeer as they have adequate water for this purpose. Some other great spots for surfing here are the Baltic Sea, Denmark, Hamburg, and North Germany. There is also a surf school in western Untersee.
2. Stand-up Paddling: You can enjoy this watersport on SUP trails in several areas namely Berlin, Brandenburg, and Potsdam as it is considered one of the best things to do in Germany.
Even a non-surfer can enjoy stand-up paddling as the winds and waves don’t matter here and the surfboards are a bit longer than the typical ones.
3. Canoeing: You can enjoy one of the most sought after activities to do in Germany, canoeing in the waterway of the Sauer valley in Germany and take a short excursion through the wild and the valley.
Lease a kayak and enjoy canoeing down the stream while observing some wildlife along the shores.
4. Diving: You can go diving either in the Baltic Sea or in the clear waters of Alpine lakes. In the Baltic sea, you can see several shipwrecks like the Helland and the Hanau while scuba diving, but most of these dive are freshwater plunges or elevations in the dazzling sea environment.
5. Kiteboarding: Though it is somewhat new here, it is extending quickly as an outdoor activity. Beginners, as well as masters of kiteboarding, can enjoy this activity. The areas where you can enjoy this activity are St. Peter Ording, Fehmarn, Sylt, Norddeich, and Lubeck Bay.
How to reach Germany?
By Air: You can get direct flights on a regular basis to the international airports of Germany situated in Frankfurt, Berlin and Munich. Some of the popular airports that have got connectivity to the rest of the world are Frankfurt (IATA: FRA), Dôsseldorf (IATA: DUS), Munich (IATA: MUC), Berlin-Tegel (IATA: TXL), Hamburg (IATA: HAM), Cologne (IATA: CGN), and Stuttgart (IATA: STR).
Some of the popular flight operators operating to Germany are Lufthansa and Air Berlin.
By Bus: Germany can be reached by bus from many of its neighbouring places. You can book tickets for Touring, a popular European bus operator to travel to and fro from germany.
By Rail: Germany has got an extensive railway network with all its neighbouring countries. The major train operator is Deutsche Bahn which connects countries like Switzerland, Poland, Denmark, Czech Republic and Austria with Frankfurt, Cologne, Dôsseldorf, and Amsterdam.
What is the best time to visit Germany?
The best time to visit Germany would be from the month of May to the month of September. Heading over to this place in the course of the summer season, you will be able to enjoy snow free alpine trails and very long days to wander around till 21:00 PM.
You can also choose to visit Germany during the shoulder season which spring and fall to save a lot on your expenses.
What is Germany known for?
Germany is very much famous for its architectural marvels and age old heritage sites like forts and palaces. It is home to some of the wonderful cathedrals and monuments. Germany is also very much popular for its festivals and carnivals which set the right mood.
This place is considered to be one of the best places for cars built to perfection and you will also get a chance to visit the original factories and museums of some popular brands as well.
What to buy in Germany?
- Christmas Ornaments
- Sauerkraut Juice
- Feuerzangenbowle Set
- Dirndl And/Or Lederhosen
- Beer Steins
- German chocolate
- German Gummy Bears
- Cuckoo Clocks
- German Kitchen Tools And Utensils
- Wooden Toys For Children
- Seasonal Tablecloths
- Egg Liqueur
- German Tea
- German Wine From Saxony
- German Herbs And Spices
Is it safe to visit Germany?
Yes, it is very safe to visit Germany during your holiday vacation. It is a super safe place with a very strong administration which means you can expect timely actions in case of any emergencies.
The environment of the county is safe and peaceful and it is one such place that never sleeps. So you can easily wander around the cities till late night hours without worrying about your safety.
How to reach Germany from India?
By Flight: The only way to reach Germany from India would be by taking a direct flight from the major Indian cities like Kolkata, Delhi, Chennai, and Mumbai. The primary airports of Germany that receive flights from India are Frankfurt (FRA), Hamburg Munich (MUC), Berlin-Tegel(TXL), and Dusseldorf (DUS).
Some of the popular flight operators in this route are Fly Dubai, Virgin Atlantic Airways, Air Arabia, SpiceJet, AirAsia India, Turkish Airlines, Ukraine International Airlines, and Emirates.
How many days do you need in Germany?
If you wish to make the most of your trip to Germany, then you would need to at least spend 8 - 10 days visiting some larger cities like Berlin and smaller cities like Cologne, Munich, or Rothenburg.
During your stay, you can choose to visit some of the popular attractions like Brandenburg Gate, Museum Island, The Berlin Wall, Cologne Cathedral, The Rhine, Miniatur Wunderland, St. Michael's Church, and Marienplatz.
Which are the best places for shopping in Germany?
1. Schildergasse: This ancient street dates back to Roman times and is the busiest shopping street in the entire Europe. You can find all the major departmental stores and outlet stores of brands like Zara, H&M, Galeria Kaufhof, etc.
2. Zeil: You can find almost every international brand store and several chic boutiques in Zeil, the Fifth Avenue of Germany. You can also buy some designer jewellery from Goethestrasse. Also, make sure to visit Zeilgalerie for its architecture and views of Frankfurt.
3. Ku’damm: You can pick the latest fashion trends from this market and get classy pieces of stuff from Chanel, Armani, YSL, and several chic boutique stores. You can also visit the new shopping centre named Bikini Berlin.
4. Kleinmarkthalle: This market offers a unique grocery shopping experience making it a must-go local shopping destination. You can find about 150 stalls that sell fresh produce, wine and flowers, and gourmet products.
5. Mauerpark Flea Market: It is the best place for Sunday shopping and also has many delicious street foods together with some live music. Here you can find books, clothes, handcrafted artworks and souvenirs, and many second-hand goods and furniture.
What are the best beaches to visit in Germany?
1. Sylt: Stop wandering about what to do in Germany, you can enjoy the watersports, exciting nightlife, delicious cuisine, and a quiet time on the sandy beaches here. You can also explore the hiking trails near the beach, nature reserves, shifting sand dunes, enjoy biking, and visit the golf course in the surrounding area of the beach.
2. Langeberg: The water town of the island offers a spectacular view of the surrounding areas. It is a car-free island so you will have to take a walk to get to the beach. You can explore the sandy beaches, quaint shops, and mudflats.
3. Usedom: Explore the landscape and the ‘singing sand’ on this island and relax in the spas, indulge in great music festivals, and taste delicious food on the resorts here. You can also go for a swim along the beach in the clear water.
4. Warnemunde: You can climb up the 19th-century lighthouse located on the beach to admire a view of the Baltic Sea and see hundreds of cruise ships on the horizon. You can enjoy sunbathing, swimming, and several other activities here.
5. St. Peter-Ording: Stop wandering about what to do in Germany, in this famous spa resort, you can relax in its curative and rejuvenating sulfur springs. It is most famous for its thalassotherapy. You can enjoy sunbathing and numerous watersports here as well.