Activities to do in Stockholm
There are plenty of things to do in Stockholm from strolling along with the magnificent museums, galleries, and theatres to having picnics at the stunning parks. The intrinsic beauty of the Royal Palace also captures the eyes of all the visitors. Couples can take a walk, cycle around or have a picnic at Djurgarden Island and click some romantic selfies at Fjallgatan’s viewpoint.
There are several other activities to do in Stockholm, including ice skating, kayaking, hiking/trekking, sea kayaking, snowshoeing, jet boating, and many more. Lake Mälar is the hub of all kinds of water sport activities. Trying different Swedish cuisines like meatballs, salmon lax, and entrecôte from the traditional Stockholm restaurants is an endless and ever-growing task for visitors.
Furthermore, Vasa Museum, Drottningholm Palace, ABBA: The Museum, and Nobel Prize Museum are some of the best things to see in Stockholm. If you want to leap the city, you can explore the underground railway system, the Tunnelbana, and other entertaining tourist interests on day trips. If you are a shopaholic, Södermalm is the most exclusive place where you can shop your heart out. Thus, take the time to stroll around the beautiful city as Stockholm is an incredible city to explore on foot.
Here are some of the best things to do in Stockholm:
Things to Do in Stockholm
People Also Ask About Stockholm Things To Do
Which are the best things to do in Stockholm?
1. Take a tour of the Royal Palace: Among the largest and most beautiful palaces of the world, the Royal Palace is an incredible place to visit. It is the royal residence of the King of Sweden with more than 600 rooms. There are five museums in the palace. You will discover the stunning interiors from the 18th and 19th centuries in the reception rooms, the royal apartments, the Ordenssalarna, and the Rikssalen. Moreover, the armors and royal costumes from the Royal Stable are also very eye-catching.
Location: Kungliga slottet, 107 70, Stockholm, Sweden
Price: Adult: SEK 160-180, Child(7-17 years): SEK 80
Timing: 10 am-5 pm
2. Go on a fabulous Stockholm Boat Tour: Since Stockholm is built on 14 gorgeous islands, the boat tour is one of the favorite things to do in Stockholm for the visitors. You can go sightseeing as well as have an excursion to the famous archipelago. It is the ideal way to discover the natural beauty of Stockholm through the water. All the sightseeing boat tours offer you everything from shopping for your favorite items to mouth-watering Swedish delicacies. Hence, you can take an outing under the bridges of Stockholm or relish the Royal Canal Tour.
Location: Strandvägskajen 21 kajplats 21, 114 56 Stockholm, Sweden
3. Explore Gamla Stan: Also known as the city's Old Town, Gamla Stan comprises rough streets and buildings painted in vivid colors. It is a residence to the Royal Palace and medieval Storkyrkan cathedral. There are stylish cafes in Gamla Stan, offering new Nordic cuisine, which takes you back to medieval times. You can explore the classy cocktail bars and the old-school pubs. It is, therefore, one of the fantastic things to see in Stockholm. If you are planning to visit in winter, don't forget to visit Julmarknad(Christmas Market), which will give you a fairytale experience.
Location: Gamla Stan, Södermalm, Stockholm, Sweden
4. Visit the Air Museum: Skansen Open is the oldest air museum in the world. The beautiful air museum portrays the history of Sweden and the culture and tradition of Swedish people during the time. Various festivals are celebrated throughout the year in Skansen. Both locals and visitors sing and dance in the concerts during summer, and winters are spent dancing all night around the Christmas trees. No other museum but Skansen Open showcases wild animals. Thus, Skansen remains a popular attraction for tourists throughout the year.
Location: Djurgårdsslätten 49-51, 115 21 Stockholm, Sweden
Price: Adult: SEK 160, Child(4-15 years): SEK 70
Timings: 10 am-5 pm
5. Enjoy Contemporary Photography at Fotografiska Gallery: Exploring Fotografiska Gallery stands top on the list of things to do in Stockholm. It is one of the best places for art lovers where one can enjoy photography by world-famous contemporary artists. Fotografiska Gallery has showcased around 200 exhibitions to over 3.5 million visitors. After exploring the exhibitions at Fotografiska, you can spend your time at bistros, bars, cafés, and museum shops. Hence, the gallery also presents live music shows throughout the year.
Location: Stadsgårdshamnen 22, 116 45 Stockholm, Sweden
Price: Adult: SEK 155-235, Child: Free
Timing: 10 am-8 pm
6. Take a walk along the Djurgården: Famous among both tourists and locals, Djurgården is a tranquil sanctuary in the center of Stockholm. There are many conventional museums and cultural attractions, including waterfront promenades and trails. You can enjoy the panoramic views while taking a walk along the Djurgården, especially during summers. Locals visit this place to have a picnic with their families amid the natural beauty of the Park. If you want some thrilling experience in the park, you can rent bicycles to explore the beautiful forest tracks. Hence, it is one of the best things to do in Stockholm.
Location: Djurgården, Stockholm, Sweden
7. Relive the history of Sweden at the Vasa Museum: Vasa Museum is the most popular attraction in Sweden. The Museum showcases an incredible ship recovered after about 300 years. The extraordinary Vasa battleship was considered to be the dignity of the Swedish Imperial caravan. Many tourists visit this place to watch a movie on the history of the ship. There are also plenty of other memorable tankers like a lightship, an ice breaker, and a torpedo boat.
Location: Galärvarvsvägen 14, 115 21, Stockholm, Sweden
Price: Adult: SEK 150, Child: Free
Timing: 10 am-5 pm
8. Visit ABBA: The Museum ABBA is home to the world-famous Swedish band. It is an interactive exhibition where you can try on ABBA's apparel, play, sing, dance, and enjoy the music with Björn, Benny, Frida, and Agnetha. Hence, it is best for the whole family. Located on the island of Djurgårdrn, ABBA: The Museum is one of the promising tourist attractions in Stockholm. Thus, listening to the music at the museum is one of the best things to do in Stockholm.
Location: Djurgårdsvägen 68, 115 21 Stockholm, Sweden
Price: Adult: SEK 250, Child(7-17 years): SEK 95
Timing: 10 am-8.30 pm
What are the romantic things to do in Stockholm?
1. Enjoy the cherry blossom at Kungsträdgården: The flowers of cherry blossoms mark the beginning of the spring season in Stockholm. You can take a long romantic walk with your partner along the Kungsträdgården subway and experience the beautiful cherry blossoms. Hence, it is one of the most romantic things to do in Stockholm.
2. Spend the twilight on a Sunset Dinner Cruise: Sunset Dinner Cruise can be your perfect climax to your romantic journey to Stockholm. You can dine on the tasty Swedish delicacies, enjoying the spectacular scenery of the magnificent archipelago in the evening. Hence, it can be a perfect romantic date night for you and your loved one.
3. Stroll along Monteliusvägen at sunset: Monteliusvägen is a narrow walking lane that grips the elevated sides of Södermalm Island. Dawn and dusk are the times when the place is full of visitors. If you want to go on a romantic walk with your beloved, this is the perfect place for you to hang out.
4. Go shopping in Södermalm: Södermalm is the hub of fashion clothing and accessories in Stockholm. There are artsy boutiques and cutting-edge notion stores. Couples can hang out at the upcycled home barns, bike workshops, vintage clothing, and craft beer junctions. However, there are other things to do in Stockholm as well.
What are the famous cuisines to try in Stockholm?
1. Meatballs: Also known as Kjøttboller, meatballs are one of the most famous cuisines to try in Stockholm. It is ladened in a pool of brown gravy and served with mashed potatoes, pickles, and lingonberries. Thus, every restaurant in Stockholm has its unique style of making meatballs, which are loved by tourists from all over the world.
2. Toast Skagen: Toast Skagen is the combination of prawns, dill, mayo, and lemon that is served on top of bread, topped with fish roe. You can eat this delicious appetizer to give you a taste of Sweden's cuisine. Therefore, Skagen is the favorite dish among the locals.
3. Herring: Popularly known as Surströmming, this fermented dish has one of the most despicable aromas in the world. Herring is also one of the most-loved cuisines among the locals. You can enjoy this tasty cuisine somewhere outdoors to prevent odor around the dining table. Despite the smell, it tastes remarkably good.
4. Lingonberry: You can find this in every restaurant in Stockholm with the meals. Since it looks and tastes like cranberry, people use lingonberry as jam with meatballs, potatoes, steaks, and porridge. Therefore, lingonberries are worth trying with your favorite meal. If you like it, you can also buy a jar for your home.
What are the adventure activities to do in Stockholm?
1. Kayaking: Kayaking is one of the best adventure activities to do in Stockholm. For locals in Stockholm, kayaking is a part of everyday life. If you visit Stockholm, you can hire a kayak and hope in it between the beautiful islands with the birds. You will surely enjoy this water sport if you are in Stockholm.
2. Ice Skating: If you are visiting Stockholm in winter, ice skating is one of the must-try activities to do in Stockholm. Gliding across the frozen lakes on skates is an adventure that is worth trying. Therefore, you must pack your lunch and take up all your gear if you are planning to perform ice skating in Stockholm.
3. Trekking/Hiking: Among the various exceptional museums and delicious cuisines, there is no shortage of activities to do in Stockholm. Hence, hiking is one of them. You can experience the dense forest, vast lakes, and captivating wildlife of Stockholm, making it an ideal destination for trek lovers and cyclists.
4. Snowshoeing: One of the terrific thrilling activities to do in Stockholm is snowshoeing. Since the hills are not too big or flat at Tyresta National Park, you get a great snowshoe momentum across the big frozen lake in the center of the park. You can get a bus or even drive to the southern point to enjoy the snowshoe in Stockholm.
What are the best things to do in Stockholm in the winter?
1. Get merry at the Christmas Markets: If you are visiting Stockholm during winters, Christmas Markets are worth exploring. You can explore the traditional stalls, brightly lit streets, and get food stands in the Christmas Markets. One of the best Christmas Markets is in Gamla Stan. Thus, it is the most authentic market in the whole of Stockholm.
2. Go ice skating at Kungsträdgården: Kungsträdgården is the place where tourists enjoy ice skating amid the wonderful park. You can feel like a Disney ice princess if you glide around in the snow. Thus, ice skating is one of the best things to do in Sweden.
3. Enjoy Swedish delicacies at Östermalm Saluhall: There are numerous cafes and restaurants in Stockholm where you can enjoy delicious cuisines. But, Östermalm Saluhall is a place filled with organic food, fruit, veggies, sweets, coffee, and savory dishes. Hence, the delicious foods served in Östermalm Saluhall will make your mouth watery as it smells so good from a distance.
4. Go winter shopping at Södermalm: Also called SoFo, Södermalm is a great place to go shopping during winter. Swedish fashion has a minimalistic approach to it, and they focus on quality over quantity. You can also shop for home décor of Scandinavian designs.
How to reach Stockholm?
1. By Air: Two primary airports connect the world to Stockholm, namely Stockholm-Arlanda International Airport and the Stockholm-Bromma Airport. Therefore, you can easily take a flight from anywhere in the world to Stockholm.
2. By Road: Stockholm is very well-connected to the major cities. You can take a bus from Malmo, Gothenburg, Kalmar, and many other cities.
3. By Rail: The Eurail provides the best rail service to visit Stockholm, connecting all the major cities. Hence, it is one of the most feasible options to reach Stockholm.
What is the best time to visit Stockholm?
The ideal time to visit Stockholm is during summer, i.e., between May and September. As the daytime is longer, you can go sightseeing or on a long walk during this time. The pleasant weather allows you to explore multiple things in the city. However, winter remains the best time for those who want to explore the city during winters.
How many days do I need in Stockholm?
You will need at least 3-4 days to explore the major tourist attractions of Stockholm. With an additional day, you can experience the surroundings and cultural life of the locals in Stockholm.
What is special about Stockholm?
Stockholm is special for its unique design, music, fashion, technology, and innovations. The city is famed for its iconic things to see in Stockholm, comprising the rich culture of the Swedish people. Therefore, people from all over the world gather in the Open Air Museum to experience the center of innovation.
Is Stockholm worth visiting?
Yes, Stockholm is worth visiting as the place is rich in history and culture. The food in Stockholm is also quite delicious. If you are a history lover, there are various museums worth exploring. Hence, Stockholm is a nice place to visit.
Is Stockholm safe at night?
Stockholm is very safe at night. Since the city is well-illuminated even at night, it is also safe to walk along the streets. Hence, nighttime is relatively safe when it comes to exploring the list of things to do in Stockholm.
What is good to buy in Stockholm?
1. Chunky and bold silver crafts
2. Candy and preserves
3. Handmade traditional mittens
5. Swedish salty licorice
6. Carved wooden utensils
7. Sámi jewelry
8. Dalecarlian Horse
What is better: Copenhagen or Stockholm?
There are various things to see in Stockholm, including historic centers and sights, while Copenhagen does not offer such sightseeing to visitors. Stockholm is aesthetically pleasing with innovative designs and various fashion options. On the other hand, Copenhagen does not offer a wide variety of options to explore. Therefore, Stockholm is better than Copenhagen.