Lying on the River Ganges, the city of Munger was established back in the 4th century CE by the Guptas. In 1763, the Nawab of Bengal Mir Qasim made Munger his capital city and commanded the construction of many important places under his reign. Backed up by glorious history, Munger happens to be the 11th largest city of Bihar state.
The beauty of the city of Munger lies in its ancient factories, historic tombs and monuments, age-old pilgrimage sites, and beautiful thermal springs. The city perfectly retains its rustic old-world charm, which makes it even more alluring.
Location: The city of Munger lies at a distance of 178.6 KM from Patna
- The town of Munger is believed to be founded back in the 4th Century by the Guptas.
- This place has been an important grain market because of the ferry connection and the railway services.
- It became famous for being home to various factories where firearms and swords were made.
Places to Visit:
- One of the famous attractions of Munger city is its ancient cigarette factory, which is considered to be one of the country’s largest cigarette-producing factories.
- Known for their gorgeous thermal springs, Sitakund and Rishikund are other important tourist places in Munger.
- Spread across a huge area of 222 acres, the architecturally stunning Munger Fort also attracts a heavy influx of tourists.
- The Dolphin Eco Park and the Bhimbandh Wildlife Sanctuary are some of the important places that are aimed at the conservation and upliftment of the biodiversity of the city.
- Other prime places of interest in the city of Munger include the Tomb of saint Shah Mushk Nafa, Jai Prakash Udyaan, Chandika Asthan, Pir Pahar, Mir Qasim’s Tunnel, Pir Shah Nafah Shrine, and Goenka Shivalaya.
Activities to Do:
On your visit to Munger
, you can enjoy touring through the historical tombs and religious shrines of the city.
- You can also take a safari at the Bhimbandh Wildlife Sanctuary and enjoy breathtaking views from the Munger Fort.
- You can even shop for handloom sarees and bangles from the Purani Bazaar of the city.
Best Time to Visit:
Munger experiences a humid subtropical climate with cold winters and warm summers. The most ideal time for visiting this city is between the months of September and March, when the place experiences mild and salubrious weather.