Book Tour and Activities on the Go!
Ask a Question
More Things to do in Johannesburg
Listings in Johannesburg
What You Should Know More About Johannesburg
· Keep the touts at bay.
· Do not entertain the beggars.
· Make sure you do not travel alone in the night hours.
· Ensure that you have had sufficient research before going to any new place.
· Nudity is strictly prohibited.
· Do not flaunt your cash or valuables in the public place.
· Avoid booking a hotel in any shady region.
· Beware of thefts. Make sure you have kept all your cash and valuables safely.
· Do not get involved in any fight with anyone.
· Make sure you double check the seal of the water bottle before buying.
· Check the quality of the street food before ordering for it.
· Do not book any cab or taxi without negotiating the fare for the same.
The legal age for drinking in Johannesburg is 18 years.
The Apartheid Museum graphically brings forth the story of apartheid by way of artifacts, photos, newspaper clippings, film footage and chilling personal accounts. The sounds and sights of the apartheid era assail the viewers as they pass through the thought provoking permanent exhibits on a journey packed with emotions relating to the history of South Africa. Several paths follow the country through many decades of oppression before being finally blessed with a gift of democracy. You must reserve a minimum of 2 hours to see this beautiful tourist attraction here. For those of you, seeking insight on the South Africa’s quest for freedom should also make a visit to the Liliesleaf Farm Museum which used to be the center for the leaders of the liberation movement.
Towering the city of Johannesburg is Constitution Hill. It is an erstwhile prison which offers fascinating insight into the history of South Africa. On this site, visitors can come and explore the provocative exhibits at the the Women's Gaol museum, Number Four museum and the Old Fort museum. Together with these museums, the precinct was known as The Fort. It has been known for its reputation of giving brutal treatment to the passive resistors, political prisoners and common criminals including worldwide icons like Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela. At present, the old Awaiting Trial building has been metamorphosed into the Constitutional Court of South Africa that serves as a symbol of freedom which seeks to protect the rights of people of South Africa. Visitors who come to view this sightseeing attraction can also attend the hearings and watch one of the judicial trials happening here. You can also take a guided tour of the Constitutional Hill to get due insight on the history.
Gold Reef City
Situated about 8 km from the city center lies the Gold Reef City. Here the visitors are whisked back to the gold rush days via a series of historical exhibits and thrilling theme park rides. It is a family friendly place to see in South Africa which hosts reproduction of the businesses and buildings from the era including the Chinese laundry, houses, the Royal Theatre, shops, a tailor's workshop, a hotel, a newspaper office, Johannesburg's first stock exchange and a chemist's shop. Visitors can take a tour of the disused shaft of the Crown Mines which is one of the richest mines of the world.
Soweto & the Mandela Museum
Soweto is situated about 20 km south west of the city of Johannesburg. It offers the visitor a journey into the soul of the gest of freedom in the country. The area is regarded as the area of planned segregation where the black laborers were housed far from the city center. This place is also seen as the birthplace for the struggle for democracy. Today visitors can find a land of contrast here. Several mansions have been located amidst the shanties and the government is taking measures to establish the much needed green spaces and infrastructure. You can take a guided tour of the township to see how the residents live here. Your tour will also include a visit to the Mandela House Museum where Mandela lived with his wife before being imprisoned for 27 years. You can also check out the other attractions like the Freedom Square and Hector Pieterson Museum.
Johannesburg has the best weather in the world
Yes, it is just as simple as that. The city stays sunny all around the year. It is neither too hot nor too warm. The air here is never humid and cools down sufficiently during the night hours so much so that you can comfortably live without the need of an air conditioner. In this city of South Africa, the winters last for a very brief period. However, during the winters, you may experience warm sunny days followed by cold winter nights. Planning for your honeymoon in South Africa, Johannesburg is the best destination.
The creativity of Johannesburg has time and again attracted the world attention. Many creative people flock the city time and again seeking limitless possibilities here. The exhibitions, the designers, the street art, the music, the photography, the architects and the makers here are continually striving hard to come up with world class work. You can find creative people everywhere in the city so much that it will only leave you inspired at the end of your trip.
The Food & Coffee
You know, the most quintessential feature of a holiday is seeing more and more tourist attractions, practicing all the fun things popular there and eating lovely food. So, food is naturally an important ingredient in making for a great holiday. A lot of things in Johannesburg revolve around food and coffee. You can get some really interesting restaurants serving the best food that you can get your hands on. Don’t forget to try out as many authentic local dishes as possible. It will not only give you an understanding of local flavours and cuisines but will also give you a through understanding on the local vibes. Search for few top rated restaurants and do savour on a great meal. ¯
You will get to pet lions
Lions as pets? YES! Just think, where else can you do that on a regular basis. Of course many of you might be fond of cats but cats as big as lions could be a rare fantasy. If you are one of them, Johannesburg may seem fairly attractive for you to plan a holiday. Get your hands on a small lion cub and you can cuddle it all day.
It makes people patient
Is that a good thing? Could be! When you are in Africa, you are naturally going to be slowed down a bit. It is just not like your Western bred pace of life. However, you don’t come to a vacation to experience that fast paced high end lifestyle, either. So, get in flow with the lax and lazy vibe and do things at African pace.
The world’s friendliest people
People in Johannesburg are warm and friendly. Of course, if you are coming from the Western pace of lifestyle and their level of patience may seem a little irritating at first but when you understand that they are trying to help you out at their pace, you’ll love them. Everyone who sees you here will give you reassuring smiles. Believe me, they are genuinely happy to see you just as if they had been waiting all day, only to meet you. The city has over the years acquired a reputation of having the most welcoming and friendly people which is apparently in stark contrast to Cape Town. Often if you do happen to make friends with the locals here, it will not take too long for them to invite you to their houses for a braai. Braai is basically a South African version of barbeque however, it more or less deals with the entire philosophy of life. In case, you are lost or in case you are seeking something, you will be offered help more than what you are accustomed to. You can also seek recommendations on the best places to see, things to do, restaurants to eat and hotels to stay, be assured the locals will help you with only genuine suggestions.
You will get to learn wonderful new words, even if English is already your first language
Johannesburg will teach you several new words even if English is something you already know. Some of the common descriptive phrases and words that are most commonly used by the locals here include ballbox i.e. an athletic cup, robot i.e. traffic light, kak i.e. bad, tinkle i.e. phone calls. These words are used in English too but differently. So make sure you catch the meaning and don’t end up misinterpreting.
There is simply nothing more fascinating than the African sky at the time of sunset. Stay active during the golden hour so that you can capture the most beautiful view of the sky in your eyes (and even your camera, if you like). You’ll love how everything just takes on a new birth just as the sun is in its final visible moments. Sunsets in Africa seem more like living paintings that keep changing. If you look away even for a split second, you’ll miss out on one unique blend of light and color.
Website: Official Website
Johannesburg can be visited as per your convenience. Month wise details are as follows:
• December to February - Summer months in Johannesburg welcomes maximum tourists. The temperature stays between mid-fifties to the late seventies. Make sure to carry an umbrella as you might see some summer rain. The key events that fall during this time are:
January-February - Johannesburg International Mozart Festival
February-March - FNB Dance Umbrella
• March to May - Tourists who neither like to travel in summer nor winters can pick the months amidst March and May. This is considered to be the ideal time to visit Johannesburg. Temperature stays between mid-forties to mid-seventies. The key events that fall during this time are:
February-March - FNB Dance Umbrella
April - Rand Show
• June to August - Temperature can fall during these months as the winter seeps in. Temperature dwells between mid-forties to mid-sixties. The key events that fall during this time are:
June - Encounters South African International Documentary Film Festival
July-August - Good Food and Wine Show
• September to October - This is another ideal time to visit Johannesburg. This spring season welcomes a lot of tourists. The temperature ranges between high-fifties to mid-seventies. The key events that fall during this time are:
September - FNB Joburg Art Fair, Standard Bank Joy of Jazz Festival as well as Arts Alive
October - Johannesburg Pride
There are various ways to get in Johannesburg that you can pick from. They are as follows:
• By Car - There are a number of highways that lead to Johannesburg from all around South Africa. Some of which are N3 from Durban, N1 from Cape Town, N4 from Nelspruit, N14 from Upington as well as others N12 from Kimberley
• By Plane - Johannesburg houses O.R. Tambo International Airport as the main airport situated twenty-one km away from the city. It offers various flights to and from Johannesburg. To go further from the airport you can take various modes of traveling including taxi, rented car or metro rail.
• By Train - Johannesburg has a central railway station named Park Station. Metro rails operate frequently to various distant located towns and suburbs
• By Bus - There are buses that can be used to get into Johannesburg. These long-distance buses have their final stop at Park Station. Mostly all the companies providing bus services offer services to and from this city.
Johannesburg offers an ample number of things to do. One can have a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable vacation in Johannesburg. The various things to do in Johannesburg are as follows:
• Take a double-decker sightseeing bus ride and enjoy the environment of Johannesburg.
• Have a cocktail sipping painted face session at the popular Zoo Lake's Mayo.
• Have a swim session at the poolside at Maboneng
• Visit the James Hall Museum of Transport
• Have your dreams fulfilled at the popular Montecasino in Fourways.
• Visit the Goodman Gallery and admire the artistic offerings.
• Get close to nature by visiting the beautiful Melville Koppies Reserve.
• Enter the trinket town situated at the Norwood Rooftop Market.
• Visit the Croc City Crocodile and Reptile Park.
• Visit the Johannesburg Planetarium in the Northern suburbs.
• Visit the Mandela Family Museum
• Have a beer at The Griffin, Illovo.
• Visit the famous museum, Wits Origins Centre and adore the offerings.
• Go and shop at Oriental Plaza.
• Involve in adventure activities at Orlando Towers.
• Witness an event such as foam party or DJ performance at The Northgate Ice Rink.
• Admire and buy flowers at the beautiful Multiflora Flower Market.
• Take your kids to Sci-Bono Discovery Centre, an ultimate entertainment center.
• Visit the lush green Botanical Garden of Johannesburg.
• Have chilled beer at Beer House in Fourways
• Visit the giant maze in Honeydew.
• Visit the adventurous Lion Park.
• Visit the giant Bush Paintball Range.
• Try freshly brewed beer at World of Beer.
• Visit The Apartheid Museum
• Visit the oldest grilling house and beer bar in Johannesburg.
• Have a thrilling experience at Gold Reef City.
• Visit and explore the unique ABSA Money Museum.
• Visit the Golden Rhinoceros of Mapungubwe
• Visit the Maboneng Precinct
• Visit Johannesburg Zoo and get close to wildlife.
• Visit the Constitutional Hill
• Play at Montecasino
• Admire the culture at the Market Theatre
• Explore the Lesedi Cultural Village
• Shop as well as dine at Fresh Earth Food Store
• Experience a fun night at Kitchener’s Comedy Night that takes place each Tuesday.
• Visit the vast and beautiful World of Golf in Midrand.
• Purchase some artistic stuff at the popular Bruma Flea Market.
• Visit the Carlton Centre and adore the beauty from an elevation.
• Witness an exciting game at the FNB Stadium.
• Visit the South African Rock Art Museum named Origins Centre.
Johannesburg restaurants offer a variety of flavors. It has something to offer for all the varying taste buds of travelers. Topmost places to visit in Johannesburg to taste delicious delicacies are as follows:
• Yamato - Try the authentic sashimi, sushi as well as bento boxes. You can also opt for tuna platter as well as tempera.
• Coobs - Food items here are organic and completely home prepared. Try out homemade bread, deliciously prepared fish as well as a wide variety of salads. Also, do not forget to try desserts including tarts and churros.
• Five Hundred - This is situated in the luxurious Saxon hotel. Try out the local as well as international wine here. Specialities here include wasabi mousse, impala as well as parsnip fudge.
• Wombles - This is one heavenly outlet for meat lovers. You can try out supreme quality beef here which is beautifully garnished with vegetables as well as pansies. You have a choice of eleven meat kinds cooked in various forms.
• Licorish - Try South African delicacies here that are prepared with a twist. The menu offers bredies (a stew), salads, delicious salmons, boboties (egg and meat stew).
• Tashas - Try out pizzas, french toast, Arabian steak filled quesadilla along with chilies and tomato.
• Cube Tasting Kitchen - You can try out their popular ten-course menu. Food menu keeps changing from season to season. Worth tasting delicacies are disparate as gazpacho, a selection of items cooked with beetroot, nachos etc.
• Salvation Cafe - You will find international flavors in everything they serve. Try out burritos as well as halloumi french toast.
• Possum’s on Burnside - Yummy sandwiches, pork and hazelnut salad, perfectly prepared meat as well as braised rabbit are a must try while visiting this place.
• Cafe del Sol - Try out pasta, pesto, gnocchi and fall for their Italian cooking.
In all, there are eleven languages that are spoken in South Africa. All of these languages are practiced in Johannesburg as well. However, the most commonly practiced ones are Afrikaans as well as English. English is spoken as well as understood almost everywhere. Some common greetings in Afrikaans are as follows:
• Hallo! is Hello
• Goeie môre is Good Morning
• Goeie dag is Good Day
• Totsiens is Goodbye
Johannesburg is a complete paradise for the shopaholics. You can shop for various items including international designs. The shopping malls here flaunt almost all the top-notch brands. The best places to shop at are jotted below:
• Sandton City - Nestled in the heart of Johannesburg this shopping mall is a place for all top-notch International brands including Cotton On, Mango, Top Shop, Zara, Country Road and many others.
• Neighbor Goods Market - You can find this market in Braamfontein on Saturdays. This is a two-floored marketplace where you can shop for local items including handmade furniture, well-painted ceramics, outstanding jewelry etc.
• Rosebank - Another shopping mall that is a destination for people who are interested in unique stuff to purchase. It is full of unique boutiques which offer designer stuff.
• Fourways - This place offers reasonable goods including designer cushions, exquisite furniture etc. Popular stores here are Home and Coricraft, Fabri Design Studio, fancier Bakos Brothers, Crabtree as well as Evelyn.
• Rosebank Sunday Market - Shop for traditionally carved items, jewelry, beadwork, books as well as fertility dolls. This market is set up on Rosebank Mall's terrace. It also accommodates gourmet edible items stalls.
• 44 Stanley - This shopping center is a trendy one. It houses designer stores, coffee shops, and most importantly fashion boutiques. You can also go shopping for second-hand novels and books, unique furniture as well as beautiful art pieces.
• Everard Read - This place is the oldest art gallery of Johannesburg. The most exclusive paintings, as well as sculptures from artists like Jacob Hendrik as well as Irma Stern, are found here.
• Cresta Shopping Centre - This shopping place will cater to all your shopping requirements. It houses more than two hundred and fifty shopping destinations, dining as well as entertainment hubs. Here you can find African local brands including Mr Price, Truworths, Woolworths as well as Exclusive Books. It also houses various other International brands including Levis, Guess, Cotton On as well as Hush Puppies.
• 27Boxes - This is a unique shopping place made up entirely of recycled containers. It offers various boutiques, local brands, art galleries showcasing beautiful art pieces etc.
• The Lamp Post - This is a unique second-hand shopping store. The items keep changing almost every other day. You can shop here for art pieces, pottery, clothes, books, antique furniture as well as collectibles. You might even find unique Victorian Skincare range at exclusively affordable prices. Additionally, you can also purchase freshly prepared cakes, delicious jams etc.
Johannesburg is full of varying kinds of activities that you can get engaged in. The variety of adventure activities suit the desires of almost every kind of traveler. The city lacks oceans but the artificial creations here make up for water activities as well. Hence a perfect location if adventure is what you seek. The various activities that it offers are listed below:
• Aerobatic Flights
• Bike Tours
• Cable Waterskiing
• Clay Pigeon Shooting
• Dragon Boat Racing
• Drone Racing
• Fly Fishing
• Go Karting
• Hang Gliding
• Helicopter Flights
• Hot-Air Ballooning
• Indoor Climbing
• Motorcycle Tours
• Quad Biking
• Rap Jumping
• River Rafting
• SCAD Freefall
• Segway Tours
• Stand up paddle Surfing (SUP)
• White Water Kayaking
• Aerial Cable Trail
• Bungee Jumping
• Canopy Tours
• Cycle Tours
• Elephant Experience
• Harley-Davidson Tour
• Horse Riding
• Microlight Flying
• Rally Driving
• Rock Climbing
• Scuba Diving
• Via Ferrata
• Zip Line
Johannesburg is conveniently situated close to various national parks as well as natural reserves. These places will give you a detailed insight of these various wildlife places. The places are jotted below:
• Pilanesberg National Park - this is the fourth largest natural reserve situated in South Africa. It is situated around 191 km away from Johannesburg.
• Marakele National Park - It is located around 217 km away from Johannesburg. This biosphere accommodates more than four hundred species of birds.
• The Golden Gate Highlands National Park -This national park is situated 325 km away from Johannesburg which is home to varying animal and bird species.
• Welgevonden Game Reserve - Located around 260 km away from Johannesburg this reserve is an excellent place for bird-watching.
• Kololo Game Reserve - Situated around 284 km away from Johannesburg, this reserve is spread over an expanse of around three thousand hectares. You will find a variety of animal species here.
• Likweti Lodge and Sanctuary - This sanctuary is situated around 367 km away from Johannesburg. You can witness a wide range of animal species here.
Johannesburg is highly popular for Craft Beer. This is a kind of Micro-brewed beer that is unprecedented. While visiting this place you must make sure to try out the popular craft beer that is freshly prepared at the brewery. Listed below are some of the popular places where you can try craft beer:
• The Foundry - situated in the suburb of Parktown
• Smack! Republic - situated in the main building at 266 Fox Street
• De Garve - Vanderbijlpark first beer brewery
• Gilroy’s - situated in Krugersdorp
• Black Horse Brewery - situated in Bekker Schools Road of Magaliesburg
• Craft - situated in Parkhurst’s 4th Avenue
• Ale House -situated at Hartbeespoort
• Lucky Rodrigo - situated in Pretoria
• Soweto Gold - situated in Soweto
• Neighbourgoods Market - situated in suburb of Braamfontein
• Chalkboard Café - situated in Maboneng
• The Cockpit Brewhouse - situated at 80 Oak Avenue Cullinan
• Capital Craft - situated in Pretoria
• The Wolfpack - situated in Parkhurst’s 4th Avenue
• Copperlake Brewing Co. - situated in Fourways
• Beerhouse Fourways - Situated at 1 Sunset Ave in Sandton
• Zeppelin at Blos Café - situated in Pretoria
• The Taphouse Pint Size Pub - situated at Parkhurst in Gauteng