India, the land of diverse culture and heritage leaves you with a plethora of imagination. Name a thing and you are sure to find it in India. The rich natural habitat, from forests to river, India gives you every reason to be here. Hills, deserts, beaches and rainforests, everything put together to make a country. Apart from the ravishing geography and mesmerising culture, India is mother to all religions. The founding father of Yoga, India attracts a lot of tourists who want to delve into yoga and meditation. We celebrate Eid and Christmas with equal enthusiasm. With the best things to do in India, get ready for a roller coaster of experiences here!
With such a rich history, so many languages and multiple cuisines, India is still as democratic a country as one can be. Surrounded by Bay of Bengal on the southeast, Indian Ocean on the South and Arabian Sea on the Southwest, India has a strong network of overseas trade.
India has housed the Indus Valley Civilisation, which is till date known as the one of the oldest civilizations of the world. Popular for its architecture, it’s the favourite site for archaeologists to do their research. India has had a struggle for freedom, and is the birthplace of a lot of brave souls, who have fought tooth and nail for our independence. Every year thousands of tourists fly down to India for an amazing experience.
With a vast coastline of 7,517 kilometres, India gives you an opportunity to witness the beauty of nature to the fullest. Indian climate is highly influenced by the Thar Desert and the Himalayas. Want a sneak peak to the best things to do in India? Take a little time off your schedules, come and enjoy in the mother land of Gandhi. Here’s a list of frequently asked questions, you might like to read to get all the doubts off your heads.
Places to Visit and Things to Do in India
People Also Ask About India Things To Do
What are the best adventure activities to do in India?
With great topography, India has a lot to offer. Types of adventure sports vary according to climate, season and landscape. India gives the opportunity to explore your options, and best tourist places in India, almost all of them have some or the other adventure sport activity available. Here are a few, for your reference:
- Skydiving or Scuba diving:
If you have the heart and want the adrenaline rush, well, Deesa in Gujarat is the place for you. Skydiving is a very new addition to the adventure sport family in India.
Scuba diving is giving yourself an opportunity to explore the underwater world, Andaman Islands and Goa are the most frequented places for this. These are one of the best tourist places in India.
So explore the depths in the darkness of a cave, only to reach another place, not known to you. Caving can be done in Meghalaya and is an experience worth the effort.
Trekking is one of the most populous adventure sports of all times. Places like frozen Zanskar River in Ladakh, is a spine-chilling site to go trekking in.
- Rafting or Kayaking:
Rafting is the beginner’s level of adventure sports, almost everyone starts at this. The ideal location to go rafting in India is Rishikesh, which is popular for its view and locality.
- Heli Skiing:
It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, getting dropped from a helicopter at a high altitude, needs guts. Kullu-Manali is the most populous destination for Heli Skiing in India.
Waterfall rappelling involves descending down a waterfall with the help of a rope. Thane in Maharashtra is one of the best places to try this out.
Enjoy swimming on the surface with all the equipment’s. Try elephant ride in water. Andaman stands to be one of the best destinations.
Spread your arms wide open and try paragliding. There are end number of green valleys and snow-capped hills to choose from.
- Hot Air Ballooning:
So you want to have fun without actually doing anything, well, hot air ballooning is the thing for you. Try the deserts of Rajasthan for this.
- Cliff Jumping:
Try jumping off a cliff, sure to give enough adrenaline rush for a lifetime. Rishikesh is one of the most popular places to go Cliff Jumping.
What are the best things to do in India?
Well, this is tricky. India has a lot to offer, and to narrow it down to just a few bullet points is a tough job.
- A bike trip from Leh to Ladhakh
- Desert Safari
- Kerala’s Hill station
- Attend Sunburn Goa
- Visit monasteries in Eastern India
- Go on a road trip from Mumbai to Goa
- Visit Konark’s Sun Temple to witness sunrise
- Visit Kanyakumari(the southernmost tip of India)
- Visit City Palace and get a mesmerizing view of the Lake Palace
- Walk bare feet by the beaches of Pondicherry
Which are the best places to do water sports in India?
India is a home to so many water sports be it surfing, rafting or rowing. You can go rafting in Rishikesh or Rowing in Kovalam. Here’s a small list of places you can try if you want a fun packed water sport experience.
- Zanskar (Jammu and Kashmir): you can go rafting 12000 above sea level between Zimo and Padum regions.
- Rishikesh (Uttarakhand): The best place to go water sporting. Makes through the list of best tourist places in India.
- Teesta River (Sikkim and Darjeeling): Try oar and paddle rafting in the thrilling surroundings of Teesta.
- Indus (Jammu & Kashmir, Ladakh): talking about water sports, you can’t miss out on Indus.
- Brahmaputra River (Arunachal Pradesh): The best to go Kayaking, don’t miss out on an adventure of a lifetime.
Which are the best destinations for wildlife safari in India?
There this thing about India, it has a rich wildlife reserve. India is home to a variety of flora and fauna. Here’s a list of all the places you can be in for a great wildlife safari. These places are some of the best tourist places in India.
Hemis National Park, Ladakh
· Sasan-Gir Wildlife Sanctuary, Gujarat
· Kanha National Park, Madhya Pradesh
· Manas Wildlife Sanctuary, Assam
· Satpura National Park, Madhya Pradesh
· Ranthambore National Park, Rajasthan
· Jim Corbett, Uttarakhand
· Kaziranga National Park, Assam
· Bandhavgarh National Park, Madhya Pradesh
· Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Kerala
· Sunderbans National Park, West Bengal
· Pench National Park, Madhya Pradesh
· Tadoba National Park, Maharashtra
Which are the best locations for desert safari in India?
Deserts aren’t the most loved places to be in but they have a beauty of their own. People who enjoy Desert Safari and are looking forward to see sand dunes and mirage, should definitely visit one of these places.
Which are the best places to go for trekking in India?
Trekking in India is beyond one's wildest dreams. You can take a trip to tropical rain forests or icy deserts. There are so many options that you’ll never be out of them. There’s a small list of places you can go for trekking.
- Roopkund Trek, Uttarakhand
- Araku Valley Trek, Andhra Pradesh
- Dzongri Trek, West Sikkim
- Markha Valley Trek, Ladakh
- Lamayuru Trek, Ladakh
- Indrahar Pass Trek, Himachal Pradesh
- Kodachadri Trek, Karnataka
- Chandratal Lake Trek, Himachal Pradesh
- Deoriatal and Chandrashila Peak Trek, Uttarakhand
- Goecha La Trek, West Sikkim
- Chadar Trek, Ladakh
- Rajmachi Trek, Maharashtra
- Panchachuli Base Camp Trek, Uttarakhand
- Valley of Flowers Trek, Uttarakhand
- Chembra Peak Trek, Kerala
- Kumara Parvatha Trek, Karnataka
- Parang La Trek, Ladakh
Where can I get best cruising experiences in India?
Want an escape from the hustle and bustle of cities? Take a vacation and go on a cruise. The best tourist places in India comprise of a lot of riverside villages and make a beautiful destination for a romantic trip. Here are a few places you can try for a cruising experience.
· Andaman Islands – Glass Bottom Cruise
· Cochin Cruise
· Dibru-Saikhowa River Cruise
· Sunderbans Boat Cruise
· Ganges River Cruise
· Kerala Backwater Cruise
· Brahmaputra River Cruise
· Goa Cruise
· Chilika Lake Cruise
· The Golden Triangle Cruise
Which are the best sites for camping in India?
Camping is a refuge from day to day life. There are so many places you can go for camping in India. The best things to do in India include a lot of sites for camping. Camping is a yearlong activity. Here are few places you should check out before going for your little adventure.
· Tsomoriri Camp – Ladakh
· Camp Room on the Roof – Dehradun
· Kipling Camp – Madhya Pradesh
- Nameri Eco Camp – Assam
· Magpie Camp – Chopta
· Banjara Camps & Retreat – Spiti Valley
· Camp Desert – Pushkar
· Rann Riders – Kutch
· Dubare Camp – Karnataka
· Mahseer Fishing Camps – Kumaon
· Seagot Camp – Wayanad
· Watermark Camp – Ladakh
· Camp Mashobra Greens – Shimla
· Mirvana – Jodhpur
· Banjara Camps – Thanedar
· The Camp 5 Elements – Devprayag
· Kasbah – Pushkar
· Damodara Desert Camp – Jaisalmer
· JAWAI Leopard Camp – Rajasthan
· Camp Temgarh – Pune
· Lion Safari Camp – Gujarat
· Shergarh – Madhya Pradesh
· Orchard Tents – Pushkar
· Big Red Tent – Kolad
· Anaerangal Camp – Munnar
Which are the best places for scuba diving in India?
Trust me when I say this, you’re going to love Scuba diving. One of the most loved adventure sports around the globe, Scuba Diving is altogether a new experience. Taking a dive and looking at life underwater, prettier than a dream. There are so many places in India you can go diving, here’s a list of a few.
· Havelock Islands (Andaman and Nicobar Islands)
· Port Blair, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
· Corruption Rock, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
· Netrani Island, Karnataka
· Bangaram, Lakshadweep
· Coral Sharks Reef, Pondicherry
· 4 corners, Pondicherry
· Neil Island, Andaman and Nicobar Islands
· North Point, Cinque Island, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
· Grand Island, Goa
· Kovalam, Kerala
· Kadmat Islands, Lakshadweep
· The Aravind Wall, Pondicherry
· The Hole, Pondicherry
Which are the best locations to try snorkelling in India?
Swimming beside with fishes, discovering what’s under corals and paddling through waters, sounds like fun, right. Well, India is home to a variety of marine animals. There are great places to go snorkelling in India. The best tourist places in India constitute of great water bodies, mostly visited for Scuba diving or snorkelling.
· Netrani Island, Karnataka
· The Andamans
· Pondicherry, Tamil Nadu
· Tarkarli, Maharashtra
Which are the best places for hiking in India?
So many places to explore in India, there is a long list of places you can be at for hiking. Love the adrenaline rush and looking to push your limits this vacation, here’s a list of places you can try hiking in India.
- Trekking in Manali, Himachal Pradesh
- Hampta Pass Trek, Manali
- Kuari Pass Trek, Uttarakhand
- Clouds End Trek, Mussoorie, Uttarakhand
- Snow Trek to Deoria Tal and Chandrashila Peak, Uttarakhand
- Roopkund Trek, Uttaranchal
- Singhalila Ridge Trail, Darjeeling, West Bengal
- Goecha La Trekking in Sikkim
- Nagalapuram Trek, Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh
- Araku Valley Trek, Andhra Pradesh
Where can I get a luxury train experience in India?
One of the most exhilarating ways to spend time on vacations is trying luxury trains. You will not regret it. Travelling through the palaces on wheel. There are so many places you can explore. Here’s a small list of luxury trains in India.
· Palace on Wheels: starting at the Capital, palace on wheels gives you an insight to all the royal houses, from chittorgarh to Chhattisgarh.
· The Golden Chariot: popularly known as the luxury train of South India, this takes you through places like Hampi in Karnataka which is a UNESCO world heritage Site.
· Darjeeling Toy Train: say hello to Kanchenjunga, have a beautiful view of the hill station and what not. The weather is a bonus.
· The Maharajas Express: this luxury train has a portion rebuilt to give you a royal feel. Enjoy Gems and jewels, Indian Panorama etc.
· Deccan Odyssey: a joint venture of the Maharashtra government and Indian Railways, this luxury train is a worth experience.
Which are the best places to go rock climbing in India?
With quite a few great rock climbing sites, India has attracted lot many people into trying this. Here’s a list of places you can try rock climbing in.
· Sar Pass, Himachal Pradesh
· Pavagadh, Gujarat
· Shey Rock, Kashmir
· Susunia Hills, West Bengal
· Hampi, Karnataka
Which are the best places to have an art and culture experience in India?
India itself is a land of Art and Cultural, wherever you will go, you will find the rich culture of the Country. The whole purpose of travelling to another country can’t just be a break from your regular life. We travel to explore culture, know more about places and their history. There are places one should visit to have a thorough idea of the Indian Culture.
· Bhubaneshwar & Puri
· Thanjavur, Tiruchirappalli & Madurai
· Fort Kochi
Which are some best locations for parasailing in India?
Getting a bird’s view of a certain place and its beauty is an amazing experience altogether. Parasailing provides you an opportunity to explore things from a height. There are so many places in India for parasailing, here’s a small list.
• MANALI – HIMACHAL PRADESH
• BIR BILLING – HIMACHAL PRADESH
• NAINITAL – UTTARAKHAND
• MUSSOORIE – UTTARAKHAND
• NANDI HILLS – KARNATAKA
• PANCHGANI – MAHARASHTRA
• SHILLONG – MEGHALAYA
• GANGTOK – SIKKIM
• PAVAGADH HILL – GUJARAT
• SANASAR – JAMMU
Where can I enjoy paragliding in India?
There are quite a few places you can try paragliding at, almost all the hill stations have this facility, check through the list for places you can go paragliding at.
· INDRU NAG – HIMACHAL PRADESH
· LAHAUL – SPITI – HIMACHAL PRADESH
· VAGAMON – KERALA
· DHARAMSHALA – HIMACHAL PRADESH
· LONAVALA – MAHARASHTRA
Which are the best yoga destinations in India?
India is where Yoga originated. It’s the wet dream for yogis. There are numerous yoga institutions throughout the country, here’s a list for your reference.
· Bihar School of Yoga, Munger, Bihar
· Kaivalyadhama Ashram, Lonavala, Maharashtra
· Himalayan Iyengar Yoga Centre, Dharamkot, Himachal Pradesh & Arambol, Goa
· Mysore Mandala, Mysore, Karnataka
· International Center for Yoga Education and Research, Puducherry, Tamil Nadu
· The Yoga House, Mumbai, Maharashtra & Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
· Omkarananda Patanjali Yoga Kendra, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand
Which are the best routes to do biking in India?
Being home to richest trails and ranges, India provides some fantastic motorbike tours to ride lovers So, want to enjoy the lush greenery and peace from the city lights, pick up your bikes and get started. Here’s a small list of areas you can go biking in.India has a good number of places one can go biking
· MANALI – LEH LADAKH
· DELHI – MANDAWA
· DELHI – MANDAWA
· SHIMLA – SPITI VALLEY
· MUMBAI – TRIVANDRUM
· BARMER – BIKANER
· SILIGURI – YUKSOM
· BANGALORE – KANNUR
· GUWAHATI – KHASI HILLS
· POLLACHI – CHALAKUDY
Which are the best places for a village safari in India?
More than half of Indian population resides in villages. Village is a great place to be in, if you’re planning on taking some time off your busy schedules. Travelling to villages not only gives you a change of environment but allows you a sneak peak in their lifestyles. Try these villages, you will not regret.
• Sundarbans, West Bengal
• Bishnoi village, Jodhpur
• Gunehgar village, Kangra Valley
• The Spiti Valley, Himachal Pradesh
• Pali, Rajasthan
Where can I experience jeep safaris in India?
When we talk about adventure, India would probably ace the list of best adventure sport places. One of the best ways to enjoy the nature trail is jeep safari tours. Indian terrains are ideal locations to on a jeep safari, here’s a little something for you.
• Delhi – Manali – Leh
• Lahaul – Spiti – Ladakh
• Garhwal Himalayas
• Punjab and Himachal Pradesh
• East India - Bolpur, Siliguri, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok
• South India – coorg
Which are the best locations for river rafting in India?
River rafting is one of the most popular sports amongst adrenaline junkies round the globe. One just can’t deny the fun of being in water. So, if you are fascinated by water like me and can’t wait to row throw unbridled water, here are places you should put in your bucket list.
• Indus River
• Yamuna River
• Tons River, Uttarakhand
• Lohit River
• Kameng River
• River Ganga, Rishikesh
• Zanskar River
• Spiti River
• Alaknanda River
Where can go for bungee jumping in India?
Jump off from the fear of being at a height. Bungee jumping is loved by the adrenaline junkies and is very popular. Precisely why it has been included in almost all the adventure sport packages. Here are a few places you can go bungee jumping.
Which are the best destinations for wine tasting in India?
Wine tasting is adapted from western culture but has gained popularity in India. There aren’t many places you can go wine tasting buy there are some great vineyards. Quality is always better than quantity, isn’t it?
• Fratelli Vineyards
• Sula Vineyards
• York winery and tasting room
• Charosa Vineyards
• Grover Zampa
Which are must visit pilgrimage sites in India?
World popular site for pilgrimage, India gives you numerous populous pilgrimages. A land where there is so much cultural and religious diversity, you are sure to find great places to visit. There are a few you shouldn’t miss out on.
• Vaishno Devi, Jammu
• Velankanni church, Tamil Nadu
• Dargha Sharif, Ajmer
• Gomateshwara temple, Shravanabelagola
• Harmandir Sahib, Amritsar
• Mahabodhi temple, Bodh Gaya
• Sai Baba Temple, Shirdi
These are just a few very popular ones, there is a list longer than a lifetime to be explored, when you talk about pilgrimages in India.
Which are the best places to go on a honeymoon in India?
It’s been a hell of a ride, planning a wedding and getting through with it. The next thin g you know is, packing your bags and being on your way to your honeymoon destination. Well, India isn’t lagging behind here either, there a lot of places you can visit on your honeymoon.
• Munnar, Kerala
• Havelock Islands
• Udaipur, Rajasthan
• Gulmarg, Kashmir
• Shimla, Dalhousie
What are the most romantic things to do on a honeymoon in India?
Does romance for you has different definitions as that of the world? The word love signifies a lot more for you than the already depicted notions. Then, the most romantic things to do on a honeymoon seem endless to be stated but the couples can list a few of them if on a honeymoon in India.
• Coffee, books and the significant other in the hills of Ladakh near to the beautiful Pangong Lake, exploring the beauty of the place is something what the definition of romance means.
• Camel safaris in the western region of Kacchh and the Indian desert.
• The adventurous Goa sky diving and trails up in the sky with the other half.
Which are the best destinations for bird watching in India?
Home to a large number of migratory and state birds, India is truly a birdwatcher's delight. From the monk-like snowy Siberian Cranes in winter to the little Pahari Myna of Chhattisgarh, you truly are for a wonderful experience of a lifetime! One can catch up with these at the following locations, taking into account the seasons, of course.
• Keoladeo National Park, Rajasthan
• Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, Karnataka
• Mangalajodi Ecotourism, Odisha
• Rann of Kutch, Gujarat
Which are the best places for an Ayurveda experience in India?
The ancient medical system, the art of healing in synchronization with nature, Ayurveda attracts thousands of people for its soothing effects. India happens to be one of the most attractive destinations worldwide for Ayurvedic therapies. Kerala is the leader in Ayurveda, closely followed by others. If you're interested in knowing more about the ancient practice, or want to visit one of the centres, give these places a look.
• Ananda, Uttarakhand
• Kovalam, Thiruvananthapuram
• Garhwal, Uttarakhand
• Devaaya: The Ayurveda and Nature Cure Centre, Goa
Which are the best Himalayan winter treks in India?
The mighty Himalayas, the place to be when you want to take a break from the hustle and bustle of life. Winters in Himalayas are the most happening times around when you can go trekking, or just sit back and gaze at the marvel that they are. Should you choose the former, you will be heading straight to the holy land of Uttrakhand. Ready? Let's go!
• Kedarkantha Trek
• Dodital Trek. Dodital Trek
• Chopta Chandrashila Trek
• Har ki Dun Trek.
Which are the best locations to experience houseboat stays in India?
Nothing can beat the comfort of taking a ride in a houseboat, living with the rich flora and still water. Look at the sun going down or the breeze pick up, bask in the sunshine or play with the fauna, houseboat stays are one experience for a lifetime! Though Kerala leads the way, check out the destinations mostly preferred by the nature-lovers, from the north eastern part to all the way down to the waters of Southern India.
• Tarkarli in Maharashtra
Which are the best locations for zip lining in India? How much does it cost?
Are you an adrenaline junkie? Does the sight of 'flying' over a raging river makes you feel like jumping in? If yes, India is the place to be. It boasts some of the best locations available for zip-lining, also known as the "flying fox" or "death slide". The costs involved normally range from ?1500-2000 per adult. So what are you waiting for? Grab the rope, put on the gear and zip it! Here are some of the places to go:
• Neemrana Fort, Rajasthan
• Cloud end, Uttrakhand
• Kerwa Dam Road, Kerwa Dam, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
• Mohanchatti, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand
Which are the best places for a camel safari in India?
Camel safaris are carried out in the desert areas of India, i.e in Rajasthan and also in some places of Ladakh. It is the major form transportation in the desert areas. The following places can be explored while riding the ship of the desert:
• Nubra valley in Ladakh
• Jaisalmer in Rajasthan
• Bikaner in Rajasthan
Which are best locations to enjoy an elephant safari in India?
Elephant safaris are one of the best ways by which you can explore the biodiversity in the thick jungles of India. These rides will allow you to observe the animals in their natural habitats (certainly better than the zoos). The safaris can be pre- booked, but some parks work on the first come first serve basis. The prices range from 200- 300 per (Indian) person in Jim Corbett national park to 3500 per elephant (4 people) in kaziranga national park. These are common in the jungles of Madhya Pradesh, Kerala and the remote Northeastern jungles, here are the best places, to go to enjoy the ride:
• Jim Corbett national park
• Elephant safari in Bandhavgarh national park
• Kanha national park
• Kaziranga national park