Mother Church of the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne and one of the architectural glories of Melbourne’s St.Patrick’s is an integral part of Melbourne, and its history tells us much about the State’s birth and growth. Situated on the fringe of the city grid, close enough to the heart of Melbourne to be a powerful presence and breathe with a life of its own. The beauty of the Cathedral speaks of the glory of God. It's peace reaches to our innermost heart, and its welcome to those who pass by is a God who is ever compassionate to us, his people. We are delighted to share a precious part of our faith, culture, and heritage with you. The original front door of St Patrick's Cathedral was a double-arched doorway with a pillar dividing it. This was removed before 1868. Its replacement was considered too narrow for ceremonial processions, and it too was replaced by the present doorway in 1939. Melbourne’s St Patrick’s Cathedral, which stands majestically on Eastern Hill, has long established itself as a church edifice of superb grandeur and arguably one of the truly significant cathedrals of the world.