1. Andharban Trek: Situated at an elevation 658 metres in the Tamhini Ghats ranges, Andharban is one of the most beautiful trekking places in Maharashtra. “Andhar” means dark and “Ban” means forest and as the name suggests, this trek is all about making your way through a dark, dense forest as you ascend towards the peak.
The duration of this trek is for one day and one night and the major viewpoints along the way include the stunning Kundalika Valley and the Bhira Dam.
Location: Tamhini Ghats, Pune, Maharashtra, India.
Best Time: June - September
2. Lohagad Fort Night Trek: The Lohagad Fort is one of the most popular destinations for trekking in Maharashtra, starting off from the Malavali Railway Station. Situated at an elevation of 1,033 metres, you can enjoy this easy trek with your friends and family. Upon reaching the highest point of the trek, you will encounter four gates namely ‘Ganesh Darwaja’, ‘Narayana Darwaja’, ‘Hanuman Darwaja’ and the ‘Maha Darwaja’.
These doors are the main viewpoints of this trek, from where you can catch panoramic views of the landscape.
Location: Lonavala-Khandala, Pune, Maharashtra.
Best Time: January to May, October to December.
3. Kalsubai Sunrise Trek: Kalsubai is the highest peak in Maharashtra, situated at an elevation of 1,646 metres and is considered to be one of the most challenging trekking places in Maharashtra. The most rewarding view after you reach the summit is that of the picturesque mountain ranges of Mandangad, Kulang, Alang and Ratangad.
It is a moderate level trek that lasts for one day and one night. While the beginning of the trekk offers unbelievable views of the night sky strewn with stars, you can witness a glorious sunrise from the Kalsubai Temple in the morning.
Location: Akola Taluka, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra.
Best Time: June to August, September to October, November to May.
4. Rajmachi Fort Trek & Camping: Rajmachi Fort Camping and trekking in Maharashtra is a beautiful experience that takes you through the green landscape of the state. During the trek, you can check out several architectural marvels such as Shrivardhan Fort and the Manoranjan Fort.
The trek starts at Lonavala and covers a distance of 16 km till you reach the beautiful Rajmachi Fort, where you can camp for the night, enjoy a bonfire and spend the night under the stars.
Location: Karjat- Lonavala, Maharashtra.
Best Time: June to September
5. Trek to Tikona Fort from Pune: Tikona Fort is amongst the most popular trekking places in Maharashtra. Due to its easy level, this hike is enjoyed equally by amateurs as well as professional trekkers. The trek starts at 6:00 a.m. from the beautiful kamshet Railway Station, which is also the end point of the trek.
The trek is especially enjoyed during the monsoon season, when you can watch the rain-washed landscape from the topmost point of the trek, which is Tikona Fort.
Location: Kamshet, Pune, Maharashtra.
Best Time: July to January
6. Monsoon Trek to Devkund Waterfall, Igatpuri: Enjoy a glorious view of a gushing waterfall during your trek to Devkund Waterfall, situated at Bhira Village. This trek is best enjoyed during the monsoon season, when you can watch the waterfall in its full capacity, gushing down to the pool below.
The surrounding natural landscape is also best enjoyed during the rainy season, due to its tropical location. The base of the trek is in the picturesque village of Bhira, from where you can trek through the beautiful landscape to reach Devkund Waterfall.
Location: Bhira Village – Igatpuri, Maharashtra.
Best Time: June to November
7. Kalavantin Durg Trek: Situated at an elevation of 686 metres, the Kalavantin Durg is one of the most popular trekking places in Maharashtra.. The best time to visit this stunning location in Maharashtra is during monsoon.
It is an easy trek that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and expertise. The panoramic view that you can catch from the steep peak - which is the midpoint of your trek before you make your way back to the base point of Thakurwadi - is truly breathtaking.
Location: Prabalmanchi, Panvel, Raigad, Maharashtra 410206
Best Time: October to May
8. Irshalgad Trek: Irshalgad is a fortress situated between Panvel and Matheran in Maharashtra. This historical fortress served as a watch-tower for Emperor Shivaji and today it is one of the most sought-after destinations for trekkers and nature-lovers.
The trek initiates at the base village of Chowk-Irshalwadi and takes approximately 10 hours to cover. On reaching the peak, you will be captivated by an incredible view of the Morbe Reservoir. A delicious breakfast and lunch is served during the trek. You can also ask for a professional guide to accompany you on this trek, which will make the experience even more safe and convenient.
Location: Irshalgad, Nadhal- Karjat, Maharashtra – 410206.
Best Time: June to November
9. Monsoon trek to Bhimashankar: The Bhimashankar Trek is a delightful hike for nature lovers and the adventurers. It is a moderate-level trek that can be enjoyed by both professionals and beginners. The trail takes you through the Bhimashankar Wildlife Sanctuary and dense forests, where you will encounter various species of colourful birds, troop of langurs, deer and the famous Malabar Giant Squirrel or the’ Shekar’.
This trek offers two different trails, the experienced trekkers can hike through the Shidi Ghat route while the beginners will enjoy an easy trail via the Ganesh Ghat.
Location: Shivaji Nagar- Lonavala, Maharashtra.
Best Time: June to September
10. Tamhini Ghat Trek: The enthralling landscape of Tamhini Ghat lies between Pune and the Konkan Coastline. The level of this trek is easy to moderate making it suitable for all. This trek, that lasts for approximately 12 hours, includes stops at waterfalls, valleys, gardens, mountaintops and other stunning viewpoints from where you can take photographs and take in the beauty of nature.
The nighttime scenery that you can explore through the forests of Maharashtra is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The trek also takes you through flowering valleys that look even more magical at night.
Location: Tamhini Ghat Road, Lonavala, Maharashtra.
Best Time: June and September.