About Ekvira Devi Temple
Snuggled in the proximity of Karla caves, the Ekvira Devi temple is a spectacular spiritual retreat for the visitors. The goddess is believed to be an incarnation of the Goddess Renuka who is believed to be the mother of Parshurama. For the Koli fishermen and the local tribe, the goddess the supreme power and they visit the temple on a daily basis seeking her blessings.
At this temple, you can know about the learning of the Buddhist culture as it serves as a great cultural & spiritual center for that. On festive occasions namely Navratri and Chaitra the aura of the temple transforms completely and becomes even more lively.
Right from the traditional folktales to the vibrant decorations and dances, you can witness everything at the temple. To reach out to the temple you will have to traverse 200 steps that will take you to the notch and that’s where the temple is located. The temple was built by the Pandavas and this temple is one of the most serene temples of the region. If you are looking for a spot where you can witness a blend of spirituality and splendid views, then this is the right place for you.
How to Reach Ekvira Devi Temple
The Ekvira Devi Temple is well connected by roads and can be easily reached by local as well as private means of transport.
By Air: The nearest airport to the temple is the Pune Airport that is at a distance of 62 km and one can hire a bus or a private taxi to reach the temple.
By Road: There are metalled roads to the temple and has good connectivity, one can book a private cab or taxi to reach the temple.
By Train: The nearest railway station to the temple is Lonavala that is 42 km from where you can take a local state transport bus or a local taxi.
Best Time to Visit Ekvira Devi Temple
Speaking of the best time to visit the temple, that is throughout the year as the temperature is quite comforting all the time. Though, in the rainy season, from July to September the entire ghat review with showers and the landscapes are even more glorified.
The temperature range between decent 30 degrees celsius to 10 degrees celsius that is the perfect range for sightseeing.
What Not to Miss at Ekvira Devi Temple
1. Exploring the Karla caves: Unwind at the secret hideout Karla caves that are an ancient Buddhist complex. These are rock-cut caves and are located in Karli that is a quint town.
2. Paragliding at Temple pilot: Something that one must not dare to miss out is the fun of paragliding at the temple pilot in Lonavala. It is located close to the temple and is often revered by the tourist. Here you can gape at the beautiful views from atop and fly like a bird with paragliding.
3. Touring Narayani Dham temple: Built back in 2002 the Narayani Dham temple is made out of marble and has the deity of Maa Narayani. This is one of the main shires of the goddess and has a few more idols in the premises. Devotees from different regions flock here to seek blessings.
4. Visiting Della Adventure Park: Looking for an adventure-filled day? Head to the Della Adventure Park that is known for its amazing slides and adventure-filled activities ranging from slides to thrilling rides. With activities like Flying Fox, Zorbing, ATV rides and much more here you can have a fantastic day out.
Attractions near Ekvira Devi Temple
1. Lohagarh Fort: One of the most scenic hill fortresses in Lonavala is the Lohagarh fort that is located close to the temple and can be toured anytime. It is settled at an elevation of 1,033 meters above the ground and is connected with the Visapur fort. If you are a history buff or a nature enthusiasts this is the right place for you.
2. Celebrity Wax Museum: Featuring the wax statues of famous celebrities, cricketers, and politicians the Celebrity wax museum is an amazing attraction. You can click pictures with them or can just enjoy the perfectionism of the structures.
3. Nirvana Adventures: Pump up your adrenaline with the exclusive range of swings and slides of the Nirvana adventure park and have a fun-filled outing. With activities like Archery, Rocket Ejector, Motocross dirt bike riding, Buggy Ride, Paintball and Rappelling here you can have a fantastic day!
4. Visapur Fort: Located at an elevation 1,048 meters above the ground this fort is one of the scenic spots of Maharashtra and is a great retreat for nature buffs. This fort is a twin of the Lohagad fort and is located at a higher elevation than that.
5. Bhaja Caves: Forming a group of 22 rock-cut caves the Bhaja caves are another great spot for the history buffs. These caves are settled at an elevation of 400 feet above the Bhaja village and were a prominent route that connects to the Deccan Plateau. The caves date back to the 2nd century and are dotted with spectacular frames of nature.
Other Essential Information About Ekvira Devi Temple
Location: The temple is located on the notch of the hill on the Ekvira Devi Road and is enveloped by the Karla caves. To reach the top of the temple you will have to climb 500 steps to and fro.
Exact location: Ekvira Devi Rd, Karla, Maharashtra 410405
Opening Hours: 5:00 am to 12:00 pm and 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Prayer Timings: 5:00 am and 7:00 pm are the timings of the Maha aarti
Distance from Nearest Airport: The nearest airport to the temple is the Pune airport that is located at a distance of 62 km.
History of Ekvira Devi Temple
The temple was established by the Pandavas during their exile in the dense forests and since then it is revered by the local tribes. In later times, the goddess Ekvira Mata appeared before the Pandavas and since then it is regarded as a holy place. It is locally believed that when she appeared she instructed them to build a temple there. But she wished to test the work ethic of the Pandavas and she kept a condition that it should be built overnight.
To her surprise, the Pandavas made the temple in no time and they managed to impress her. To bless them, the Ekvira Devi granted them a boon that these caves can be their secret exile and no one can discover them at this place. Ekvira Devi was an avatar of Renuka Devi and is worshiped by the local tribes.
Places to Stay Near Ekvira Devi Temple
1. Hotel Karla Hill: One of the most comfortable yet budget stays near Ekvira Devi temple is the Hotel Karla Hill that is snuggled at a higher altitude and has 21 well-appointed rooms with modern facilities.
2. Greenwood countryside resorts: Adorned with the scenic views of Western ghats the Greenwood countryside resorts are an excellent stay option. Here you can relish amazing delights at the in-house restaurant or enjoy the 24X7 service with top-class facilities.
3. Berose villa: Snuggled in the vicinity of the Ekvira Devi temple the Berose villa is one of the stellar stays and is adorned with classic views of nature. With 32 well-equipped cottages and well-manicured lawns the villas are an excellent stay option.
4. Cozy Heritage cottage: Nothing can be a better option than a cozy cottage! The Cozy Heritage cottage offers as many as 15 cottages with classic interiors and is located at a distance of 14 km from the temple.
Places to Eat Near Ekvira Devi Temple
1. Hotel Deepak Restaurant: The restaurant is located on the Ekvira Devi temple road and serves variants of cuisines. The interiors of the restaurant are modern and the food served is fresh and well-prepared.
2. Sports Bar: Another great place to chill with great vibes and lip-smacking food is the Sports Bar that is located at a distance of 8 km from the temple and is often frequented by the youngsters.
3. Creme Della: Boasting with stellar interiors and mouth-watering cuisines, the Creme Della is a classic restaurant and a great pick if you are traveling with your family. It is located at a distance of 10.2 km from the temple and serves variants of cuisines right from Continental to Indian.
4. PNF Restaurant & Bar: One of the most lavish restaurants near Ekvira Devi temple is the PNF bar & restaurant where you can grab a drink and enjoy vegan and non-vegans delights.