Wondering about the things to do in Panjim, then this small city won’t disappoint you. From offering tourists the most relaxing experiences to taking them on an adventurous ride, the city has it all. Tourists can visit the Panjim’s Latin quarter, Fontainhas and witness the beautiful lanes and houses built in portuguese style. If you are looking for a more relaxing and laid back time, then explore Divar Island.
If you are still in doubt about what to do in Panjim, then indulging in the many watersports like snorkelling, scuba diving, banana boat ride, etc can be a great experience. Other than the thrilling watersports, the city is also famous all around for its delicious cuisines and going on a food tour to try local cuisines like fish curry, prawn curry, crab, etc is a must.
No vacation is complete until you indulge in a shopping spree and the Panjim Market is a great place to start with. Buy authentic jewellery, goan spices, apparels as well as fenny from this market and take home some souvenirs. With the wide range of experiences the city offers you will run out of time but not activities.
Things to Do in Panjim
People Also Ask About Panjim Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Panjim?
1. Visit Immaculate Conception Church: Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church is situated in Panjim and visited by travellers seeking for some peace amidst the chaos of Goa. The church is built in Portuguese Baroque style, has a white facade and sits on a small hillock.
The bell at the church is the second largest in Goa and is known to be taken from the Augustinian ruins of the Church of Our Lady of Grace. Church also organises a mass every day in English, Portuguese and Konkani. When looking for things to do in Panjim, visiting this church is a must.
Location: R. Emidio Garcia, Altinho, Panaji, Goa 403001
Timings: Church masses are at these times
7:00 am (Konkani)
8:00 am (English)
6:00 pm (Konkani)
7:00 am (Konkani)
8:15 am (English)
9:30 am (Children’s mass)
10:30 am (Portuguese)
5:30 pm (Konkani)
2. Explore the Fontainhas: Explore the beautiful Fontainhas, the capital of Panjim’s Latin quarter. The lanes of this quarter showses colorful houses that are built in Portuguese. This quarter was built back in the 18th century and lies on the OuremCreek.
Take a relaxing stroll through these lanes and shop from the local shops and vendors here. You can even stop and eat at the many charming restaurants and cafes in Fontainhas which offer delicious food. Overall visiting this place is amongst the must things to do in Panjim to travel back to the history of the place.
3. Try Local Cuisine: If you are a foodie and are looking to indulge in amazing Goan cuisines then Panjim won’t disappoint you. Panjim has many restaurants and cafes that are famous for their authentic Goan preparations as well as cuisines from all around the world.
All seafood lovers will have a blast here as the fish curry, prawn curry, crabs, lobsters and many other delicious seafood items are available here. When in Panjim you should definitely try Galouti Kebab and Lamb chops at The Awadh house or Tangdi Kulfi and Dal Awadh. TATAKI is another famous restaurant that offers delicious local cuisine.
4. Visit Art Galleries: All the history and art lovers will fall in love with the amazing art galleries Panjim has. You can visit Gallery Gitanjali which is one of Goa’s oldest galleries, housing Scandinavian art from the 1950s to the 1990s. This contemporary art gallery organises several workshops as well as offers courses.
You can also visit Mario Gallery for its wide collection of artifacts and prints of Mario’s cartoons. Or you can spend some time at Sunaparanta, which is a non-profit gallery that makes art accessible to people. One can never get bored in Panjim as there are so many answers to the question: what to do in Panjim?
5. Day Tour to Divar Island: A Day Tour to Divar Island is one of the best things to do in Panjim. This is a gorgeous island that is surrounded by gorgeous blue water and has a wide range of flora and fauna. The relaxing atmosphere of the island away from the hustle of the cities makes it a great place to unwind.
This island was earlier a Hindu pilgrimage site with many temples and here you see the rural part of Goa in four villages. Some of the must visit tourist attractions of the place include Our Lady Of Piety, Shaktivinayak Ganesh temple, Diwadi, Wonderful Old Homes including Island House and Classic Ferry experience. Island can easily be reached by taking a ferry or bus into the town.
Location: Lies in the Mandovi river in the Indian state of Goa
6. Enjoy Nightlife in Panjim: If you are a night owl and are wondering what to do in Panjim at night, then you won’t be disappointed. This beautiful city of Goa has a hip nightlife and offers you all types of experiences including fine dining, karaoke nights, hip clubs, live music and everything else. One of the places that you should visit in Panjim at night is Joseph Bar.
This bar offers great beers as well as Kombucha, which is a locally made drink. If you want to enjoy live music or karaoke then Down the Road is the place to be. And if you want to dance the night away and enjoy having a lavish experience then SOHO is a must visit place. That’s not all, you can even go to a casino and have some fun time gambling for money.
7. Water sports at Coco Beach: Coco beach is one of the most famous beaches in Goa and is known for the amazing opportunity of watersports it offers to the visitors. When here you can indulge in things to do in Panjim like surfing, jet skiing, parasailing, kayaking, kite surfing, etc.
If you are looking for more of a relaxing time while indulging in watersports then banana boat rides as well as boating are great options. At this beach there are plenty of shops selling equipment required for watersports as well as trainers who will teach you the correct technique and help you out before and during the activity.
8. Shopping at Panjim Market: When it comes to shopping, Goa will never disappoint you. From colorful clothes to silver jewellery and from antiques to wines, cashew nuts as well as local handicrafts, Panjim market won’t disappoint you. You can also purchase the famous Goan drink feni from the market along with fresh fruits and vegetables.
You will also be able to find Goan spices in abundance at these markets which makes the Goan cuisine so delicious. While shopping at the market you can stop at the many eateries that are lined up across the market and indulge in some delicious sea food as well as local dishes.
Location: General Bernardo Guedes Rd, 2nd Phase, New Municipal Market, Panaji, Goa 403001, India
Timings: 7:00AM - 8:00PM everyday
9. Panjim River Cruise: If you want to experience the amazing waters of Arabian sea in the most exquisite manner then take a Panjim river cruise is one of the things to do in Panjim. Cruise on the mandovi river and observe the beautiful surroundings of Goa.
Taking this cruise at sunset will offer splendid views of the horizon and will leave you with unforgettable memories. There are also plenty of options of entertainment on the cruises like music, singing and dancing performances by artists. You will also be provided with delicious food and some refreshing drinks. All in all, a trip to Goa is incomplete without going on a cruise.
Location: Mandovi river
Timings: 6 PM- 8PM
Price: INR 600
10. Drink Beer at Joseph Bar: If you are visiting Goa with your friends and wondering what to do in Panjim at night, then you will not be disappointed as the city has a great nightlife. You can spend the night chilling with your friends at the Joseph bar, which offers great home brewed beer, fenny as well as Kombucha.
It is a very hip bar with cool colorful interiors as well as funky decor. You can also grab some quick bites here and enjoy the warm hospitality. If you are looking for some happening place to spend the night in Panjim, then you must visit this bar.
Location: Gomes Pereira Road, Altinho, Panaji, Goa 403001
Timings: 11AM to 11PM
Price: Approx cost for two without alcohol is 700 INR
What are the best watersports to do in Panjim?
1. Scuba Diving: Explore the beautiful and colorful marine life of the Arabian sea by option of scuba diving in Panjim. You will be able to explore a school of different fishes as well as several coral reefs. You will be provided with proper training of the activity and everything will be done under expert guidance.
2. Snorkeling: If you are not a daredevil at heart but still want to observe the amazing marine life, then you can opt for snorkelling. Unlike scuba diving, snorkelling is done at the surface of water and still offers a great view of the underwater world. Snorkelling in the soothing waters is one of the best things to do in Panjim.
3. Dolphin Watching: If you want to witness the most playful aquatic animal at its best, Dolphin, then you should take a Dolphin watching tour in Panjim. Dolphins are very friendly and get happy seeing humans. You can take pictures and videos of the beautiful creatures playing around in the water.
4. Banana Boat Ride: A sport that is suitable if you are travelling with in a group and want to have some fun time in water. In this activity, individuals sit on a huge inflated boat shaped in the form of a banana and are taken in between the sea with the help of a boat. After that, they have to coordinate with each other and stay afloat.
5. Jet Skiing: If you are seeking some thrill in the waters then jet skiing is a great activity. Move on the waters at great speed and feel the splashes in your face. This activity can be done if you are an experienced person or you can do it with a guide.
What are the romantic things to do in Panjim?
1. Explore Fontainhas: Fontainhas is a beautiful latin quarter which has narrow lanes with colorful houses that are built in portuguese style. Exploring this beautiful town on foot with your partner is going to be the most romantic experience. You will get to witness the history of the town and also the present day attractions. There are many cafes and eateries that offer delicious food and a small romantic setting.
2. Take a trip to Divar Island: Divar island is a gorgeous beautiful island that is lush green and has plenty of flora and fauna. You can visit this island with your partner by taking a ferry. The island offers a calm and relaxing atmosphere so that you can enjoy some moments of peace with your partner. There are plenty of attractions here as well as restaurants where you can go for a romantic date.
3. Take the blessings at Se Cathedral: Visit the Se Cathedral and take in the blessing of almighty and seek some peace in the calming atmosphere. This cathedral has beautiful white architecture and is visited by many tourists everyday. This is one of Goa's most beautiful and old churches.
4. Mandovi River Cruise: If you want to indulge in the most romantic experience in Panjim then taking the Mandovi river cruise with your partner is the best option. On this cruise you can watch the beautiful sun go down, hands in hands with your partner while sipping on some great drinks. Cruises also offer a lot of entertainment on board including DJ, dances as well as music performances.
What is the best time to visit Panjim?
The best time to visit Panjim will be from mid- October to early April. At this time of the year, the city experiences a pleasant climate with temperatures ranging between 25 to 30 degree celsius.
This makes it easy for travellers to explore the attractions as well as indulge in the many water activities. The peak season is during December to February and if you are planning to visit at this time then please make all your booking in advance.
How to reach Panjim?
You can reach Panjim by various means including:
Flight: Goa International Airport is just 11km away from Panjim and it receives flights from all the major cities of India.
Train: Panjim doesn’t have its own railway station and can be reached by taking a train to Thivim , Karmali , Madgaon stations.
What are the best things to buy from Panjim?
Panjim has various markets and each of them offer something unique. The best things to buy from Panjim include:
- Goan spices
- Colourful bags
- Street style and boutique apparel
- Beaded ornaments
- Local handicrafts items
- Cashew nuts
Is Panjim worth visiting?
Panjim is the smallest state capital in India but has a lot in store for travellers. The beautiful city is known to offer the perfect Goan vibes through its attractions, activities as well as cuisine.
When in Panjim you can explore the beautiful latin quarter of Fontainhas or visit the former pilgrimage island, Divar Island. Panjim even offers cruising opportunities to travellers. All in all, you will not be bored for even a second wondering what to do in Panjim, as the city has so much to offer.
What are the best things to do at night in Panjim?
1. Gamble at the Floating Casinos: Apart from its fantastic beaches, Goa is known in the entire world for its casinos. One of the best casinos in Goa, Deltin Royale sails on Mandovi river and offers plenty of gambling opportunities to the visitors. Spread in a whopping area of 4000 sq ft, the casino has 123 gaming tables for people to indulge in many games like Baccarat, Roulette, Andar Bahar, Rashi Wheel, 3 Card Poker, 5 Card Poker, Mini Flush, Mang Patta, Black Jack.
2. Chill at Taverna Pub: Taverna is one of the most lively pubs of Panjim and offers a great vibe to the visitors. The beautiful interiors, push location as well as delicious food served here are the main highlights. The pub even hosts DJ nights, live music as well as karaoke nights on weekends.
3. Sip some draught Beer: Joseph Bar is one of the most famous bars of Panjim, famous for its home brewed beer as well as wines. The drinking options at the bar are plenty and you will have a great time chilling here with your friends. The bar has a hip vibe and stays packed with crowds at all times.
4. Visit the first English Pub of Goa: Cafe mojo is the first English pub of Goa and is very famous amongst the locals as well as tourists. The place has shady interiors and is the first eBeer pub. You can pour your own beer from the machines and it can be paid by ML and not glasses. The amazing service and the delicious Goan food served here are the highlights.
Where can I go for backwater Kayaking in Panaji?
Kayaking in Goa is one of the best ways to explore the natural landscapes, pristine backwaters and the incredible flora & fauna. Also, kayaking in Goa is a treat for the bird watchers as it offers the opportunity to spot some rare and gorgeous birds. Here arebest places to go for backwater Kayaking in Panaji:
- Kayaking at Aguada river
- Backwater Kayaking at Sylvan Siridao
- Backwater Kayaking at Chorao
- Kayaking at the Bat Island
- Kayaking through the Nerul Creek
- Backwater Kayaking in River Mandovi
- North Goa