Activities To Do in RaigadYou will be amazed by the sheer range of super-exciting things to do in Raigad. The beautiful and diverse landscape of the place lets you enjoy scores of offbeat experiences unlike any other place in the country.
There are endless activities and things-to-do in Raigad to choose from. Be it looking out for exotic birds & butterflies at the Karnala Bird Sanctuary, spending quite ‘me-time’ at the banks of the serene Gangasagar Lake, seeing historic landmarks like the Raj Bhawan, Raigad Fort, and the Jijamata Palace, you are in for great offbeat experiences.
Besides these amazing things, you can also enjoy night treks and overnight camping, savour a beachside sunset, and try the great Maharashtrian food.
Read on to plan an offbeat journey to this amazing destination on your next vacation.
Things to Do in Raigad
People Also Ask About Raigad Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Raigad?
1. Enjoy bird watching at Karnala Bird Sanctuary: Visiting this lush haven of a place is amongst the best activities in Raigad that you should experience. The sanctuary houses over 200 species of exotic and native birds like Magpie, Robin, Blue Capped Rock Thrush, Red Whiskered Bulbul, etc.
Don’t miss to see varieties of butterflies and reptiles here. The sanctuary has trekking trails that give onto beautiful views of the Patalganga River and the Western Ghats in the background.
Location: NH 66, Karnala, Maharashtra.
Price: Rs. 25 per person.
Timings: Every day from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
2. Try the Raigad ropeway: Imagine cruising high up in the sky amidst as you get a bird’s eye view of the mighty Western Ghats and acres of lush greenery. This ropeway ride connecting to the Raigad Fort adds on a lot of excitement for a fun day out in the sun is one of the best things to do in Raigad.
You will cruise up to an altitude of around 2300 ft. in 4 minutes and will be treated to an interesting documentary about the fort before your ride. Experienced guides accompany travellers to fill up on information and intriguing facts about the region and the fort.
Location: Raigad Fort, Mahad, Maharashtra.
Price: Per adult: Rs. 200, Per child & senior citizen: Rs. 130.
Timings: Every day from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
3. Spend a day at the beautiful Gangasagar Lake: One of the best things to do in Raigad is to spend a relaxed day at the banks of this scenic lake. This is a great place to savour the warm sunshine surrounded by the cool breeze as you enjoy a picnic.
The legend goes that this lake was filled with holy water from the Ganges River for Shivaji’s family. The promenade of the lake looks on the majestic Raigad Fort, the Queen’s chambers, and a watchtower framed amidst the Western Ghats in the distance.
Location: Pachad, Raigad District, Maharashtra.
4. See the ancient temples: For travellers looking for serenity amidst the magnificence of ancient architecture must visit the temples in Raigad. The district has several ancient temples like the iconic Jagadishwar Temple built in the Mughal style of architecture
17th-century Varadvinayak Temple, the Ballaleshwar Temple that’s one of the eight Ashtavinayak Temples of Lord Ganesha, and the seaside Harihareshwar Temple that was built by the Peshwas in the 16th-century to worship Lord Shiva.
Location: Jagadishwar Temple (Gherkilla), Varadvinayak Temple (Mahad), Ballaleshwar Temple (Pali Village), and Harihareshwar Temple (Shrivardhan).
Timings: Every day from 5:00 am to 6:00 pm.
5. Try the delicious Maharashtra cuisine: Raigad is quite popular for offering a huge variety of delectable Maharashtrian cuisine. There are several great restaurants that offer seafood like prawns fry, fish, chicken, etc. delicious coconut-based gravies. Trying mouth-watering snacks like Poha, Thalipeeth, Misal Pav, Vada Pav, Bun Maska, etc is one of the best things to do in Raigad.
Location: Shree Datta Snacks, Sarja Restaurant, Himgauri Garden and Restaurant Bar.
Price: A meal for two would approximately cost around Rs. 600-800.
Timings: The restaurants are generally open from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm.
What are the best things to do in Raigad with family?
1. See the magnificent Raigad Fort: Sitting atop a Sahyadri mountain peak, this revered fort houses the samadhi of Shivaji, an ancient temple, and a water tank. You can either climb the fort via 1700 steps or enjoy a ropeway ride to the top, which is one of the most exciting things to do in Raigad.
2. Visit the grand Raj Bhavan: The erstwhile administrative seat of Shivaji is now one of the most-visited places in Raigad famous for its architecture. The Bhavan’s building is placed on a double podium that is supported by 4-sided columns. This is a great place to stroll for hours amidst the well laid out gardens and enjoying a snack with your family.
3. Enjoy a tranquil getaway: One of the most exciting activities in Raigad is spending the day trekking with your family amidst lush green hillside that leads to the beautiful Madhe Ghat waterfall. You will see huge jackfruit plantations and scenic views of Khadakwasla Dam and Pabhe Ghat on the way.
4. See a Mughal-style temple: One of the famous things in Raigad is seeing one of the most intriguing temples in the country. The Jagadishwar Temple here is famous for its unique Mughal style architecture of domes, pillars, and facades.
5. See the Palace of Jijamata: Dedicated to the mother of Shivaji, the Jijamata Palace is one of the most revered places in Raigad. Take your family to see the magnificent ruins of what was once a grand palace dedicated to her simplicity and valour.
What are the things to do in Raigad in night?
1. Camp in the jungle: One of the most exciting things to do in Raigad is night camping at the Falyan Jungle Camp. After night trails, you can enjoy a bonfire, barbecue, and music with your friends and camp under the starlit skies.
2. Enjoy an overnight picnic: Head over to the scenic Kolad located on the banks of the Kundalini River for an overnight sojourn into nature, one of the most memorable things to do in Raigad. Stroll at night along with the sounds of the river waters, enjoy night treks, and sleep in a tent under a starry sky here.
3. See a beachside sunset: There is no better sight than watching the sun cast its luminous glow on endless expanses of seawater. Seeing a stunning sunset at beaches like Varsoli Beach, Kihim Beach, and at the scenic Morbe Dam is one of the best activities in Raigad.
4. Enjoy a night trek: What’s better than trekking amidst night-time silence with miles of lush nature to accompany you. Head over to the beautiful Kothaligad to walk amidst the majestic moonlit Sahyadris and enjoy a bonfire with music and food with your friends.
The tranquillity, cool night breeze, and the serenity of nature make for an amazing offbeat experience and is one of the best things to do in Raigad.
What are the best treks in Raigad?
1. Raigad Fort Trek: The trek to this fort that houses the Samadhi of Shivaji Maharaj is one of the most famous things in Raigad. The fort is reached by trekking over around 1700 steep steps to reach an altitude of around 2,700 ft. where it is located amidst the Sahyadris.
2. Karnala Bird Sanctuary and fort trek: This 2-hour trek will take you to the unique thumb-shaped 13th-century fort and the sanctuary located amidst thick forests. You have a chance to spot bird & animal species like Malabar lark, Small Sunbird, Nilgiri Woodpigeon, Muntjak, Wild boar, Antelope, etc.
3. Kothaligad trek: This popular night trek will take you to the majestic Sahyadris surrounded in thick forests. On this trek, you will see the Bhairoba caves and the Peth fort that look even more intriguing in the moonlight.
4. Lingana trek: Trek to the summit of the highest peak in the Sahyadris standing at around 2,969 ft. Located at the top is the 16th-century Lingana Fort that was built by Shivaji Maharaj and is considered to be one of the most important landmarks in not only Raigad district but across the country.
What are the best places for camping in Raigad?
1. Falyan: Escape into the scenic surroundings of Amba River and the Sahyadris at this beautiful jungle camp area. Take night trails amidst the beautiful sounds of nocturnal birds and critters before you round off the day with a bonfire and music.
2. Kolad: Nestled around the Kundalika River, there are several secluded camping locations here that let you take a break from the city life. See the forests and the river shrouded in a silvery mist in the moonlit as you take a night boat ride here and end the day with a bonfire and barbecue.
3. Kashid: Head over to the pristine Kashid Beach to camp near stunning night-time sea views for a unique night camping experience. Your stay at the sea-facing tents will let you savour the sounds of the waves and views of the silvery sand surrounded by thickets of swaying palm trees.
4. Murud-Janjira: There are several camps located at the top of the hills at this charming fishing village that let you enjoy panoramic views of the Arabian Sea and the Western Ghats in the background. Savour the sunset on the waters and enjoy sleeping in tents under starry skies here.
How can I reach Raigad?
-By Air: The nearest airport is Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, which is located around 140 kilometres away. You can proceed via bus or by hiring a cab from the airport.
-By Road: Raigad is well-connected by road from neighbouring areas like Mumbai, Panvel, Alibaug, etc. by state-run buses. You can opt to self-drive via NH 17.
-By Train: Raigad has good train connectivity with almost all the major Indian cities. The closest train station is Vir Dasgaon station.
What is the best time to visit Raigad?
The best time to visit Raigad is between the winter months of November to March. This is when the low daytime temperatures and pleasant weather let you enjoy the beautiful outdoors without the accompanying heat and humidity of the summers.
How many days are enough for Raigad?
3 days are enough to enjoy a place like Raigad. In this time, you can visit and spend time at the popular attractions like the various forts, scenic points, temples, lakes, and wildlife sanctuaries. 3 days are also enough for you to try a variety of Maharashtrian foods and shop at the local markets.
Is Rajgad and Raigad the same?
No, Rajgad is a fort located in the Pune District in the Sahyadri ranges whereas Raigad is a fort lying in the Raigad district. Both of them are located in Maharashtra.
How long does it take to climb Raigad Fort?
To reach this hilltop fort, you need to climb around 1,700 steps. It takes approximately 1 hour to cover these steps and reach the summit.
How difficult is Raigad Trek?
The trek’s difficulty depends on the route option that you choose. The routes starting from Vajeghar-Pali and from Gunjavane village through Chor Darwaza are easier but longer. The route from Gunjavane village via the Gunjavane Darwaja is shorter but tricky. This route involves steep climbs and rocky patches and requires a bit of rock climbing experience.