Witness the true essence of South India by exploring the numerous things to do in Trivandrum. Perched atop a throne of seven hills, the captivating capital city of Kerala, Trivandrum is a blend of scintillating cultures molded into each other and alluring nature. Trivandrum being the single junction of all the good things that come with travelling has a diverse range of activities one can partake in.
Famously known as ‘God’s own country,’ Trivandrum is dotted with uniquely built temples. You can let the whims and bouts of nature fascinate you in the Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary as you witness the fierce wild animals in their natural habitat. Water enthusiasts can try out the boating activities in the Neyyar Dam and indulge their fishing fancies. The religious city is also home to a number of Ayurvedic centres where visitors can go and rejuvenate their minds and bodies.
Trivandrum also has several waterfalls and lakes one can visit to experience a relaxing tryst with nature along with a famous theatre to marvel at the unique art form. There is an endless list of things to do in Thiruvananthapuram that will offer you unparalleled experiences that you can treasure for a lifetime. Trivandrum is hence a market city of all pleasures known to humankind and that a traveling enthusiast simply cannot afford to miss.
People Also Ask About Trivandrum Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Trivandrum?
There are so many amazing things to do in Trivandrum that it’s almost confusing for travelers to choose one.
1. Temple Hopping: Trivandrum has several temples scattered around its holy landscape that are unique in both build and architecture. These temples are dedicated to a number of different Hindu deities and draw narratives from folklore and mythology.
Every religion enthusiast must go temple hopping in Trivandrum to have the most soulful experience of their lives. Some of the famous temples of Trivandrum include Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Attukal Bhagavathy temple, Pazhavangadi Ganpathy temple, Aazhimala Siva Temple, and Karikkakom Chamundi Devi Temple.
2. Explore Nature at Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary: A safe abode of various endangered wildlife species, Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary is responsible for bringing a lot of biodiversity in Trivandrum. One cannot miss the various lion safaris and wildlife excursions that are organised in the Sanctuary.
3. Enjoy Boating and Fishing at the Neyyar Dam: Hanging by the foothills of the lush Western Ghats, and brimming with marine life, Neyyar Dam is one of the most sought after tourist sites in Trivandrum. The marine life festering in the dam can be explored by indulging in the fishing and boating activities that the dam offers.
4. Enjoy Adventure Sports by the AMAS: The Academy of Mountaineering and Adventure Sports based in Trivandrum offers a wide range if adventurous activities one can partake in including skydiving, scuba diving, paragliding etc. This is one of the best things to do in Trivandrum for adventure and sport enthusiasts as it gets ones adrenaline flowing and heartbeat racing.
5. Witness the history of Trivandrum at its museums: Trivandrum is adorned with museums that celebrate its glorious history. The two most known museums, the Napier Museum and the Natural History Museums both offer an insight into the history of Trivandrum. While the Napier Museum is known for its archaic Mughal-Chinese architecture style, the Natural History Museum is known for preserving the history of Ethnography.
6. Enjoy the view of the grand ocean at the Lighthouse: Visiting the lighthouse situated at the Kovalam Beach should be at the top of one's list of things to do in Thiruvananthapuram. One gets to visit the city and the seascape after having climbed a staircase of 150 humble steps. Visiting the lighthouse especially during the evening hours is one of the most visually scintillating experiences of the visit.
7. Shopping at local markets: Explore the streets of Trivandrum hopping between the local markets known for signature South Indian handiwork and cheap prices.
8. Visit royalty at the Kanakakunnu Palace: Perched atop a small hillock, Kanakakunnu Palace is surrounded by intricately cultivated gardens and an air of nostalgia. Visit this palace to go back to the days of the Travancore dynasty rule.
9. Witness the art of Dramatics at the Margi Theatre: If you are an admirer of the Dramatics art then you can not afford to miss the plays performed at the Margi Theatre. The theatre showcases the most unique talent of Trivandrum in not just dramatics but also a number of traditional Indian dance forms.
10. Witness the mighty waterfalls: Trekk up a rocky trail near the Neyyar dam to witness the might of the Meenmutty waterfalls. These waterfalls make you forget the monotony of urban life as you drown into the welcome noise of gushing water.
What is special about Trivandrum?
Trivandrum is known for bringing the best and most joyful experiences of travel together in one single city. From the sparkling beaches to the mighty waterfalls, from high-rise hills to risky backwaters, Trivandrum is blessed by nature in every way possible.
There are innumerable things to do in Thiruvananthapuram. Along with being naturally blessed, Trivandrum is known for having a heavy cultural significance to India. It is the home of several uniquely constructed temples all dedicated to various hindu deities.
The city is also famous for the diverse range of flora and fauna it protects in its sanctuaries and forests. Not to mention the unique cuisine and artistic expression through theatre and dance are the reason why so many tourists flock to the city every vacation season.
What are the best things to do in Trivandrum with family?
Visit the zoo: Occupying over 55 acres of woodland and housing the fiercest and rarest wild animals of India, the Trivandrum zoo is a must-visit place if you are travelling with your family. The zoo is adorned by lakes and lawns and ample areas to explore. It introduces young minds to the whims of wildlife while at the same time amuses adults.
Visit the science and technology museum: The science and technology museums of Trivandrum is an excellent place to get children interested in science and technology. Established in 1984, the museum acts as a centre of popularisation of scientific culture among the public.
Sightseeing: Trivandrum is awash with beautiful mountains, waterfalls, beaches and lakes that are perfect for sightseeing with one's family. One can simply trek up a hill and enjoy the view of the sunset with one's family or visit the old palaces and castles to explore history. There are innumerable places to go sightseeing in Trivandrum with family.
Picnic: Get your food parceled from one of the local food joints in the city and take your family out for a picnic in Trivandrum. You can carry forward this picnic in parks, dams or the various beaches of Trivandrum.
How to reach Trivandrum?
One can follow many routes to reach Trivandrum:
By Air: The Trivandrum International Airport receives direct and indirect flights from all the major cities of India including Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai, Hyderabad Dehradun and Kochi. Air travel is the fastest and the most convenient way to reach Trivandrum.
By Railway: With over 20 railway stations scattered around the cities that are all connected to the stations of all major cities, it is very easy to reach Trivandrum by train.
By Road: Trivandrum is connected to major cities like Kochi, Mangalore and Kozhikode through NH-66. One can take a bus from most major cities of India to Trivandrum.
What is the best time to visit Trivandrum?
Every season brings something new to the atmosphere of Trivandrum. However, winter months from October to February are the most ideal for the visitors because of the moderate temperatures and mild winds.
Summer: Summers in Trivandrum see high temperatures and are humid. However, several tropical plants bloom during summers in Trivandrum giving it a lively and lush look.
Winter: Winters see cooler temperatures and less humidity in Trivandrum. The weather remains pleasant during winters with bright blue skies and gentle sunlight.
Monsoon: Monsoons in Trivandrum are much cooler than the summer and wash the city with fertility and greenery. However, this season experiences extreme humidity.
Can we do watersports in Trivandrum?
Various beaches in Trivandrum have water sport activities. The Academy of Mountaineering and Adventure Sports or the AMAS based in Trivandrum also offer a wide range of water sport activities one can partake in including scuba diving and paragliding.
Scuba Diving: Explore the depth of the mysterious sea water as you are taken through the water right down to the water bed. Witness the aquatic life of the ocean before your very eyes in this surreal experience.
Jet Skiing: Slide across the shining water on a super fast personal watercraft and feel the exhilaration of your life. Jet skiing is one of the most fun water activities one can undertake as it makes you experience the rush of water against your skin as you feel like you’re flying over the water surface.
Parasailing: The experience of literally flying through the air over a sea, attached to a speeding motorboat is easily one of the most exciting things you will do on your vacation.
Which beaches should I visit in Trivandrum?
Kovalam Beach: Kovalam Beach is one of the most popular beaches in Trivandrum adorned with a beautiful view of the ocean and sunset. This particular beach is best known for its lighthouse which remains open to visitors and provides them with a breathtaking view of the cityscape.
Thumba Beach: Located near the outskirts of Trivandrum, Thumba Beach is known for its scenic beauty, soft sands and lighter crowds. Surrounding the infamous Arabian Sea, the beach sports coconut trees, coastal vegetation and pleasant weather.
Shanghumukham Beach: Dotted with shops and surrounded by cafes and food joints, the Shanghumukham Beach is best known for its relaxing ambience and white sands. It is situated near the Trivandrum International Airport and is one of the best evening hangout destinations in the area.
Hawa Beach: Surrounded by various local seafood restaurants and tourist shops, Hawa Beach is a small yet beautiful beach which sees lighter crowds and hence offers calm and peace to its visitors.
What is famous in Trivandrum for shopping?
Trivandrum has great local markets where you can buy various memorabilia and trinkets made of wood. Handloom fabrics are also a speciality of Trivandrum markets that can be used to make a variety of apparel. The markets are also quite famous for a unique assortment of spices and brass carvings.
What is Trivandrum famous for?
Trivandrum can easily be called the tourist hub of India. It brings the most serene and playful attractions together in the form of beaches, waterfalls, hills, mountains, and backwaters. A glorious medley of nature, culture and architecture, Trivandrum is also home to many famous museums and palaces that take you back to the days of pre-colonised and colonised India.
Trivandrum is also home to various temples that add to the religious sanctity of the city famously known as ‘God’s own country.’ The capital city is also celebrated for its diverse plant and wildlife that it fosters in its forests and sanctuaries.
Which are the best markets for shopping in Trivandrum?
Chalai Market: One can find almost everything you can imagine in this 100 year old market. The market stretches along a 2 km long road and is dotted with a number of little shops selling distinct products. This is also the kind of market you practise your bargaining skills on.
Sarwaa Lifestyle: Located on the Sankar Road, Sarwaa Lifestyle is known for selling some of the most memorable trinkets and souvenirs. So if you are looking for a place to buy gifts to take back home to your loved ones, Sarwaa lifestyle will be the place to be.
Connemara Market: Stationed in the Palayam area, the Connemara Market is one of the best places to buy fruits, vegetables and spices from in Trivandrum. You can buy fruits and spices at cheap rates in this market. The market is also known for affordable garments and fabrics.
Can we visit beaches at night?
A few beaches in Trivandrum like the Kovalam beach can be visited during the night. In fact, they have a very happening nightlife marked by bonfires and celebrations.