Things to Do in AhmedabadRelive the Gandhian principles at Sabarmati Ashram, Relish the local cuisines to satiate your cravings, Gasp onto the incredible collection of cars at Vintage Car Museum, Shop till you drop at Local Markets, Unravel the rich culture by taking a Heritage Walk and many more
There is an endless list of things to do in Ahmedabad that will offer you unparalleled experiences that you can treasure for a lifetime. From unraveling the rich history of this city to gasping into the architectural marvels there are tons of activities on offer at this city.
You can also have a gastronomic tour of the city relishing on to the local cuisines or you can stroll by the shopping lanes to stock up souvenirs for your loved ones. If you wish to spend some tranquil time with nature then you can even head to the lush green parks that offer you the perfect respite from the humdrum of city life.
If you’re a history buff then you can even take a heritage walk to spot the major landmarks and historical monuments of this city. You can also enjoy concerts and dance performances at the famous theaters over here. Ahmedabad also offers tons of activities for the kids to offer them a fun filled experience. The kids can enjoy various thrilling rides and swings and they can even splash in the water at the best water parks over here. Indulge on the spiritual tour of this city to spot the best temples that are a divine abode on Earth.
Another important activity that you must try over here is witnessing the Gujarati Dance performance and music at the famous cultural landmarks. The list of these enthralling activities will never make you feel confused about what to do in Ahmedabad? So scroll ahead to know about the most preferred activities for each kind of traveler that will satiate your wanderlust and will offer you tons of enthralling experiences.
Places to Visit and Things to Do in Ahmedabad
People Also Ask About Ahmedabad Things To Do
What are the best things to do in Ahmedabad?
From magnificent monuments to verdant gardens, from lip-smacking street-side food to opulent cafes, Ahmedabad is pretty much a complete holiday package. Check out some of the best things to do in Ahmedabad.
1. Relive the Gandhian principles at Sabarmati Ashram: Probably the most visited destination of Ahmedabad, Sabarmati Ashram is a place of historical importance. For about 12 years, it served as the home of the great leader Mahatma Gandhi and his wife, Kasturba Gandhi. This was also the place where the procession of Dandi March commenced. Today, it is a famous museum displaying the life of this humble freedom fighter using photographs, videos, and letters.
- Entry fee: No entry fee
2. Relish the local cuisines to satiate your cravings: Famous for its local delicacies, every person who visits Ahmedabad is fascinated by its savory snacks served at roadside stalls. The city boasts of serving the best street food ranging from Dabeli to Khakhra to fafda and dhokla. So be it the city square like Manek Chowk or the bustling Law Garden, a mouthwatering aroma fills all places, be it day or night.
3. Gasp onto the incredible collection of cars at Vintage Car Museum: Displaying the private collection of a car lover, the Auto World Vintage Car Museum is a treat to the eyes of automobile admirers. Housing some of the finest, luxurious, and rare vintage cars, this museum even gives you a chance to ride in them. Bentley, Rolls Royce, Daimler, Jaguar, Austin, Lincolns, Cadillac. You name it, and you'll find it standing there shining with a new polish. The collection is so stunning; you feel your heart reaching out for them.
- Location: Dastan Estate Sardar Patel Ring Road Kathwada, Ahmedabad, Gujarat 382430
- Entry fees: Rs 50 per person.
3. Shop till you drop at Local Markets: Ahmedabad quenches the soul of the shopping enthusiasts by offering them tons of options to grab a great deal. From sarees and kurtas to Ghagras and tunic skirts, the ethnic wear collection of this city is in demand throughout India.
The popular prints and works are even put on display at Calico Textile Museum. Whichever time of the year you choose, you will find the streets of the textile markets buzzing with shopaholics. Some sought after shopping destinations are Sindhi Market, Lal Darwaja Market, Dhalgarwad, and Rani No Hajiro Ahmedabad Cloth Market.
4. Unravel the rich culture by taking a Heritage Walk: Abode of picturesque architectural marvels, the capital city also has a rich heritage. Taking a stroll through its historical monuments will charm you and leave you mystified. You will be awestruck by the intricate carvings of the step wells of Dada Hari Vav and Adalaj. You will feel your mind-boggling behind the mysterious architecture of Jhulta Minar. You will feel mesmerized by the scenic landscape of Bhadra Fort.
What are the best places in Ahmedabad for couples?
From the lovely terrace cafes to scenic lakes, Ahmedabad has many backdrops for a romantic escapade. In this city, cupid plays its trick by giving you some of the most mesmerizing places to take your loved one. The best things to do in Ahmedabad when on a romantic vacation are given below.
1. Kankaria Lake: Feeling short of options of what to do in Ahmedabad? If you wish to add some adventure and fun to your romantic getaway, Kankaria Lake is the best bet for you. Lined by lush greenery, the tranquil atmosphere around this lake is ideal for a romantic stroll. You can take a balloon ride, ride a toy train, or watch the light show under the night sky.
2. Parimal Garden: Emerald green canvas with splashes of vibrant hues in between! Such is the landscape of Parimal Garden. With walking trails that cover the entire garden, you can enjoy the freshness of nature and admire the gorgeous flowers as you sit together on a stone bench under the shade of a tree.
3. Adalaj Step Well: Dating back centuries ago, this step well was built by Queen Rudrama Devi to symbolize her love for her late husband, Rana Veer Singh. The intricate carvings sculpted in its walls makes it an architectural gem and a lovely backdrop for photographs. The pillars, the arches, and the mystic aura together make you feel like you have traveled back in time.
What are the things to do in Ahmedabad for youngsters?
Out on a trip with your friends and wondering what to do in Ahmedabad? Fear not as the options are plenty.
1. Have the most enthralling rides at Kankaria Lake: The serene surrounding of the scenic Kankaria Lake is more than just a place to relax. It has a zoo, a toy train ride, an amusement park, and a verdant garden in its proximity. Hop into a hot air balloon and view the panoramic skyline as you ascend into the sky. Or find a seat aboard a miniature toy train periphery around Kankaria, the second largest lake of the city.
2. Indulge into shutter shooting at Bhadra Fort: Carved pillars, huge arches, multicolored murals, and green backdrop make Bhadra Fort the picture-perfect location. A paradise for photography buffs, this historical monument has a spellbinding charm and is hidden amid lush green vegetation. The ancient architecture, combined with a mystical atmosphere, makes it ideal for a weekend outing.
3. Fall in love with the scenic beauty of Law Garden: Perched peacefully in the middle of the chaotic city, Law Garden is a common relaxing spot for families and youngsters. The verdant greenery of shady trees provides a great setting for picnics and evening strolls. The plethora of shops in its vicinity attracts many fashion mongers looking for authentic Gujarati apparel and handicrafts.
4. Satiate your inquisitive spirit at Gujarat Science City: An initiative was taken in 1960 by the government of Gujarat, Science City, thrives on bringing out the scientist budding in its youth with fun rides, interactive seminars, intriguing workshops, and fascinating exhibitions. Packed with youngsters, this place has an amazing IMAX theatre and exhibition hall, all designed to make you have fun as you fall in love with science.
What are the things to do in Ahmedabad at night?
When roaming late at night in Ahmedabad, here are some places you can head to.
1. Light Show at Kankaria Lake: At the heart of the second largest lake of the city lies a dreamlike garden. Locals call it Nagina Wadi. Dimly lit during the night, this lush garden experiences a spectacular display of light show every evening. The fountains installed to light up in different colors whose streams shoot up with the beat of the music. The splash of colors in the black setting of the starry night sky is a fascinating view.
2. Stroll at Sabarmati Riverfront: Preserving the pristine beauty of the environment amidst modern infrastructure, Sabarmati Riverfront has well-paved promenades for a refreshing night walk. You can feel the cool breeze against your cheeks as you stroll next to the flowing Sabarmati River. The road near this waterfront is superb for a romantic late-night bike ride.
3. Movie at Drive-In Cinema: A twist to the conventional movie theatres is the open-air Drive-In Cinema. The largest of its kind in Asia, this theatre allows you to drive in your car and watch the latest movie at a large screen below the starlit night sky. The cherry on top of this is the delicious dishes served while you enjoy your movie sitting comfortably in your vehicle. With a high-quality resolution, Dolby sound system, and a large garden area, this place guarantees a one-of-a-kind cinema experience.
How to reach Ahmedabad?
1. By Air: Major metropolitan cities like Delhi, Mumbai, and Kolkata are linked to Ahmedabad via Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport. Airlines plying from this airport can be used to access both domestic and international destinations. Cabs and taxis can easily be hailed from the outside to reach the city center.
2. By Train: An extensive network of railways makes Ahmedabad accessible to other major cities of India. From local express trains to AC sleepers, a lot of trains ply through the Ahmedabad junction.
3. By Road: Well maintained roads connect Ahmedabad to other cities, making road trips by bus a very comfortable alternative. The main interstate bus services are operated by the Ahmedabad Municipal Transport Service.
What is the best time to visit Ahmedabad?
October to February is the best time to visit Ahmedabad as the temperature remains quite pleasant during this time. With the temperature reaching a maximum of 20 degrees and a pleasant sun shining in the sky, winter gives suitable weather for exploration. The nights may turn a bit cold, making it necessary to bring out those warm woolens. However, the day time is perfectly pleasant to stay outdoors. Not only will you enjoy the beauty of nature, but you will also be able to travel unbothered about sudden rain showers.
What is famous in Ahmedabad?
Ahmedabad is famous for the particular things that make it a treasure trove for the visitors.
1. Decades ago, Ahmedabad was nicknamed the 'Manchester of India.' Since then, the city has been recognized for its quality textile and printed fabrics. Hence, shopping tops the list of things to do in Ahmedabad.
2. Besides its handloom markets, the capital city of Gujarat is also well known for being the abode of Mahatma Gandhi. Thousands of visitors every year visit the museum of Sabarmati Ashram to honor the struggle led by this great leader.
3. Also, since the festival of Makar Sankranti is celebrated with great pomp and zest, the huge variety of kites designed over here is commendable. More than 150 multihued kites are put on display at its Kite Museum.
What is the famous food in Ahmedabad?
When it comes to food, Ahmedabad has savory street food to try out. So make sure you include trying authentic Gujarati cuisine in your list of things to do in Ahmedabad.
2. Spongy dhokla
3. Spicy chat pakodis
4. Sev Puri
5. Crispy Dalvadas
6. Fafda with green chutney
7. Yummy bhajia
8. Kulfi Faluda
9. Buttery Maska bun alongside masala tea
What is famous for shopping in Ahmedabad?
Since decades Ahmedabad has been synonymous with textiles. The high-quality fabric with designer print and embroidery on it has earned this city the title of 'Manchester of India. Here are few other things that you can buy over here.
1. Sarees, sherwanis, kurtas, ghagra, dupattas
2. Royal prints of Ikat and Mashrush fabric
3. The colorful Bandhej, the textured Mangalgiri, or the traditional Jaipuri cotton
6. Embroidered quilts