Gaumukh Tapovan Trek Highlights
- Experience a maximum altitude of 14,222 ft.- and participate in the holy ritual of taking a dip in the Bhagirathi river
- Catch the glimpse of magnificent Bhagirathi group of three soaring peaks during your journey
- Witness the short trek to Bhojwassa which is studded with trees and is mostly barren and often compared to the Arctic Tundra region
- The Gomukh Gangotri trek takes you through many of the significant pilgrimage spots of Hindu devotees such as Gangotri Glaciers, Gaumukh, Bhagirathi Sisters, etc.
Gaumukh Tapovan Trek Overview
About the Gaumukh Tapovan Trek:
The Gaumukh Tapovan trek is a thrillfest with gigantic views of the cow-shaped Gaumukh Glacier which is also one of the main water sources of the holy Ganges. The trek offers breathtaking views of the Gangotri peaks - Shivling, Thalay Sagar, and Meru.
The Gomukh Tapovan trek is scenic with nature's bounty and is decorated with fragrant flowers, snow-capped peaks, and similar jaw-dropping views. Take a dip in the holy Bhagirathi River, which is considered one of the sacred rituals. During the Gomukh glacier trek, one can also immerse in the divine aura of the pilgrim cities- Rishikesh, Uttarkashi, Gangotri, and Bhojwassa. Marvel at the sight of the Bhagirathi sisters to experience the summit views.
Quick facts about Gaumukh Tapovan Trek:
Duration Of Gomukh Trek: 8D/7N
Maximum altitude: 14222 ft.
Gomukh Tapovan trek gradient: Moderate
Gomukh Trek route distance: 46 Km
Temperature: Day: 18°C to 12°C and Night: 5°C to -5°C
Best time for Gangotri Gomukh trek: May end to June, September to October
Start Point/End Point: Gangotri
How to reach Gangotri:
The nearest railway station to Gangotri is Rishikesh 234 km before Gangotri on NH58 and is well connected by railway network with major destinations of India. Trains to Rishikesh are frequent. Taxis and buses are available from Rishikesh, Tehri Garhwal, Uttarkashi, and many other destinations to Gangotri.
How to reach Gangotri by Air- The nearest airport to Gangotri is Jolly Grant Airport which is located around at the distance of 250kms. This airport is well linked to Delhi and there are numbers of daily flights to Delhi which connects to major parts of the country.
Gangotri can be reached only via road in a bus, privately operated jeeps, SUVs/ other vehicles. The journey from Rishikesh takes about 12 hours. Taxi/Jeeps are also available from Taxi Stations in Rishikesh, Haridwar & Dehradun. Tourist cabs are available from Dehradun/Rishikesh.
Gomukh Tapovan Trek Inclusions:
1. Accommodation – Tented accommodation throughout the Gomukh trek.
2. Meals – (Breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner). We provide simple, nutritious vegetarian food on all days of the Gangotri Gomukh trek.
3. Camping charges – All trekking permits and forest camping charges are included.
4. Trekking equipment – High-quality tents and sleeping bags in all the camps. Sleeping bags can withstand temperatures as low as -10 ºC.
5. Safety equipment – First aid kit, oxygen cylinders, oximeter, etc. will be with guide/trek leader and at the campsite as well to deal with emergencies.
6. Expert trek Leaders – All our trek leaders are at least qualified in basic/advanced mountaineering and first aid course.
7. Expert Trek support team – The mountain staff on the Gomukh Gangotri trek consists of certified guides, cooks, helpers, and porters.
Available Group Departures:
[ Note: If you are a group of 4 or more people then the dates can be customized]
More Details about Gaumukh Tapovan Trek
Know Before You Go for Gaumukh Tapovan Trek
- Climatic conditions in the high altitudes vary from the plains; take adequate time to get acclimatized to high altitudes.
- The management reserves all the right to modify the trek during any emergencies or natural calamities.
- Consult a physician before undertaking the trek. Carry basic medications and a first-aid kit during the trek.
- Pay heed to the trek guides and instructors in order to enjoy a safe and sound trek.
- The trek takes place through an eco-friendly zone; do not encourage littering the local sites or campsites. Travelers littering may be fined.
- Water is very precious, so conservation is appreciated.
- Do not encourage trekking during the night unless it is a part of the itinerary and a guide is with you; this might lead to unforeseen mishaps.
- Avoid using plastic bags and maintain the ecological balance of the destinations.
- In case, the trek needs to be canceled, the authorities should be informed beforehand.
- Guidelines issued by the State-Government are to be followed. Social distancing to be maintained. Frequent hand sanitization and the use of masks are recommended.
- Please provide a valid ID at the time of check-in.
- The exact location will be shared with you post-booking.
- Professional guide(s) are available to ensure high safety and more information and personal attention which are necessary to appreciate a trek.
- Neat and clean vehicle for the journey with experienced drivers especially for hilly terrains available.
- All the activities depend upon the weather.
- Camping is very basic in nature. One must not expect luxuries. Electricity may be available only at a few locations.
- Mobile & laptop charging points may/may not be available on campsites at a common point.
- Any personal expenses, items of personal nature, meals not mentioned, etc. will not be in part of the package.
- Carry dry snacks/food from home (you will save a lot of money). Carry water bottles with you, so that you can refill
- Keep your luggage minimum; the more you carry, the more you hassle.
- Children below the age of 7 years are not recommended for this trek.
- It is recommended to carry enough warm clothes and the right kind of shoes for Gangotri Gomukh trek.
- Avoid using earphones during Gomukh Glacier trek, this might hinder your audibility.
Things To Carry for Gaumukh Tapovan Trek
- Warm clothes
- Back pack (50-60l)
- Day pack (20-30l)
- Water bottle
- Extra pair of socks
- Fleece jackets and thermals
- Hiking shoes
- Mosquito & insect repellent