25 Places in India Where You Can Create Memories with Your Parents
Quick Jumplinks to Navigate
1. Alleppey: Backwaters galoreKnown world over for its emerald green backwaters, Alleppey in God’s Own Country makes for a fetching destination. Your parents deserve to be treated with the divine gifts of nature where they can leave all their stresses behind. Enjoy watching them spring with glee as you take them on the iconic houseboat. You all can cherish moments as you glide along the quiet waters and catch views of the breath-taking landscapes around. This is the reason why, Alleppey tops our list of best places to visit in India with family. How to reach: Catch a flight to Trivandrum from Bangalore at just INR 1,881. Adding to the entire experience is flavourful food, fine interiors and warm hospitality. For wildlife enthusiasts, there is also the Periyar National Park and Wildlife sanctuary located nearby. Planning a trip to Alleppey Check out the Thrillophilia Reviews
2. Jaipur: A land of royals
Pamper your parents with a fine tryst with royalty. Along with them, dash off to the imperial land of Jaipur. Reflecting the glory of the past are the rich monuments and palaces that have been beautifully preserved. Let them arrive king style on top of an elephant at Amber Fort. Other places to visit include the finely crafted Hawa Mahal,regal Jaigarh Fort and the splendid Nahargarh Fort. You can hire a local tour guide who can keep you all regaled with the fascinating stories behind each magnificent monument. You can even splurge and live in one of the many opulent and lavish places of stay or a palace turned resort that offers great service and hospitality. How to reach: Catch a flight from New Delhi to Jaipur at just INR 1,684. Planning a trip to Jaipur, Check out the Thrillophilia Reviews
3. Kashmir: Switzerland of India
Crowned as the “Switzerland of India”, Kashmir is where you can surround your parents with surreal and magical beauty. Cosseted in the Himalayas, this is one of the ultimate destinations to take your folks to. Let your parents reminisce the classic Bollywood movies (cue, Shammi Kapoor crooning ‘Yeh chaand sa roshan chehra’)with a delightful shikara ride on the dreamy Dal Lake. Even if they are not a movie buff the calm ride and the soothing sights all around makes for quite an experience. Other delights of the place include pretty little hamlets, warm wooden homes,lovely gardens and enthralling lakes. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Srinagar from New Delhi for just INR 1,799. Planning a trip to Kashmir, Check out Thrillophilia Reviews
4. Ooty: Queen of HillsWhisk your parents to the scenic and pleasant hill station of Ooty. Located in Tamil Nadu, it offers many pictorial sights and the bliss of tea gardens. Parents can lap up a refreshing amble through the beautiful Botanical Garden or Sims Park. Another relaxing activity is going boating in the quiet Ooty Lake. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Coimbatore from Chennai at just 1,834. Thrillophilia Reviews
5. Shimla: The most vibrant hill station of North IndiaMany parents favour a visit to Shimla, not only because of its popularity, but also due to its vibrant persona and beautiful places to visit. Lolling in the lap of regal snow dusted mountains, this romantic place features charming British architecture and historical monuments that will leave your parents in awe. Some must-visits happen to be the Church on Mall road, Hanuman temple, Gurudwara Sahib, Himalayan National Park and the Arki palace and fort. Lastly, your trip to this place would not be complete without a ride on the popular Toy train that runs between Shimla to Kalka that will give the joy of a lifetime of memories. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport and continue the rest of the journey by road. Planning a trip to Shimla, Check out the Thrillophilia Reviews
6. Shillong: Scotland of the EastThis capital of Meghalaya rests amid rolling valleys, high plateaus, cascades and winding rivers displaying perfection in natural splendour. Shillong just might be what your parents’ idea of an ideal vacation is. Get to exquisite Shillong after a pleasant 3 hour drive from Guwahati making way through fun curves and abundant pine groves. The place was constructed by the British as a summer retreat and hence one can still find the distinct reminisces of the same. Though when here, the great natural beauty cannot be missed. Let them feast their eyes on postcard perfect Umium Lake (also known as Burra Pani Lake), to mesmerising Nohkalikai Falls(tallest plunge waterfall in India) and some tranquil and serene sights on the outskirts. Without any doubt, Shillong is one of the best place to visit in India with family. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Shillong from Kolkata at just INR 2,361.
7. Coorg: Land of Coffee and hillsAnother winsome destination to take your parents to is Coorg in Karnataka. The landscape is laced with coffee plantations, waterfalls, pretty environs and rich flora and fauna. Adding to the charm is the pleasant cuddly weather. This hill station is ideal to live up the spirits of your parents. Huddled in nature rich Western Ghats, Coorg boasts of many attractions.Bylakuppe is a Tibetan settlement that can be toured. Here you can unravel Buddhist monastery and get a whiff of the life of Tibetan monks. Other notable places include Talakaveri, Pushpagiri and Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuaries and Nagarhole National Park. Make sure to take your folks down here to spot some Asiatic elephants, tigers, leopards and wild boars. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Bangalore from Mumbai at just INR 1,994. Click Here to know more about the best places to visit in Coorg.
8. Manali: Paradise on EarthWith scenery that is as breath-taking, Manali is a traveller’s treasure trove making it ideal for a family vacation. A stunning hill station in Himachal Pradesh, it is bordered by snowy peaks and lucidriver waters from the Beas. So perfect is the landscape here that it is reminiscent of a post card. Charms include natural ones such as orchards to pine and deodar trees, places of worships, adventure activities like rafting in splashing water, skiing, camping in the abode of nature and sightseeing tours. Pay a visit to temples, waterfalls, valley and sanctuary with your folks. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Kulu from New Delhi at just INR 9,187. Do check out: The most loved tour packages of Manali Click here to see list of famous hill stations in India
9. Kodaikanal: Princess of Hill StationsKodaikanal is a beautiful city in Tamil Nadu which is bound to mesmerize you with its beauty and tranquillity. Although a honeymooners’ haven, the dewy place that nestles beautifully amidst the folds of the Pali hills is also a family favourite. Over here you will find the unique ‘Kurinji-flower’. It flowers only once in 12 years, lending a distinct splendour to the place. Your folks can delight in pictorial hills, enormous rocks, lovelycascades, a tranquil lake, fruit orchards, plush flora. All this makes it one of the most sought-after hill stations in the south of India. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Coimbatore from Bangalore at just 2,096. Don’t forget to check out places to visit in Pondicherry
10. Gangtok: An abode of diverse ethnicitiesSituated in the eastern Himalayan range, Gangtok is home to people from different ethnicities such as Tibetan, Nepali, Lepchas and Bhutias. The climate of Gangtok is pleasant for most part of the year that makes it favorable for elderly folks to holiday here. The city of Gangtok is also rich in flora and fauna; an abundance of wild orchids in myriad colors and lush green thickets of bamboos can be found growing here aplenty. But most attractive of all is the culture of the place which is unique and colorful to state the least. Take your folks down to the famed Nathu La, 16th century built Rumtek monastery, and the picturesque Tsomgo lake. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Bagdogra from Kolkata at just INR 2,178. Popular Reads: Everest Base Camp in Nepal, 2019
11. Tawang: Home to the largest monastery in IndiaSituated in Arunachal Pradesh and bounded by snow-peaked mountains of Tibet and Bhutan, this is a key Buddhist holy spot. Being acclaimed as the second oldest and largest monastery in the world, the Tawang Gompa warrants a must visit that attracts tourists across the globe. The spiritual impact that this place has on people is an experience you and your folks will love cherishing for time immemorial. In addition to this, the serene magnificence of the waterfalls, rivers, widespread greenery all formulate a nature lover’s paradise and the winter snow makes it absolutely picture-perfect. The tranquil splendour that nature has bestowed upon the place, will make you pine to extend your visit. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport and continue the rest of the journey by road.
12. Dharamshala: Little Lhasa of IndiaSurrounded by dense coniferous forests, Dharamshala is a picturesque hill town in Himachal Pradesh. The Tibetan settlement of Dharamshala was established when the Dalai Lama had to flee Tibet in 1959 and had settled down in this charming hillock. Within the region of this place lies the small village of McLeodganj. It is popularly known for the revered Buddhist temple of the Dalai Lama, Tsuglagkhang. Many monasteries, schools and temples have been built in the region, hence there are many popular tourist attractions in Mcleodganj. The experience of Dharamshala is one which you cannot let your parents miss out on! ACTIVITIES IN MCLEODGANJ: Best things to do in Mcleodganj How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Dharamsala from New Delhi at just INR 3,318.
13. Hampi: UNESCO World Heritage SiteIt may be in ruins today, but the picture of the Hampi village in northern Karnataka projects the riches, grandeur and fabulous wealth which the Vijayanagara Empire boasted of. Whisk your parents away to a time of splendid magnificent temples, statues, gateways and architectural brilliance which are reasons for Hampi being listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This place especially comes alive during the yearly Hampi festival in December. Many across the country and world come to witness the intriguing ruins. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport and continue the rest of the journey by road.
14. Puri: Land of Lord JagannathExplore the authentic city of Puri like never before with your folks! Take them through a roller coaster of marvel, enchantment, and history while you catch its medieval by-lanes, zesty street food, spot the towering Jagannath Puri temple and many historical evidences. To add to this, you can even relax by the calm waves of Bay of Bengal and watch people surf through the tides. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Bhubaneswar from Kolkata at just INR 1,721.
15. Varkala: Land of a cliff-adorned beachPopular for its Varkala Beach that appeals with its quiet, calm and unbelievably beautiful features, Varkala in Kerala is a hot-spot for tourists. Sweep your parents away to the serenity of this tropical paradise ardent with dramatic cliffs, silky soft sand and cool breeze. How to reach: Catch a flight to Trivandrum from Bangalore at just INR 1,881.
16. Vashno Devi: Land of Spiritual Enlightenment
Give your parents the chance to experience a spiritual journey with Vaishno Devi Temple nestled in the Trikuta Mountains, Jammu and Kashmir. It towers at 5300 feet and is considered as one of the most respected religious sites. The sights offered on the path to the place are simply remarkable.How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Jammu from New Delhi at just INR 1,894.
17. Bodh Gaya: Place where Buddha attained enlightenmentBodh Gaya in Bihar is the place where Lord Buddha is believed to have attained enlightenment. Let your parents romanticize with the historic extravagance of the place. Your folks can enjoy unravelling the Buddhist temples that unfold the country’s past. A little further to Bodh Gaya, you will encounter the ruins of Nalanda University, among the ultimatecentres of learning that was built on earth. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport and continue the rest of the journey by road. Book this Package Now: Chadar Trek Frozen River Zanskar Trek 2020
18. Varanasi: Holiest City in India
Lauded as the oldest holy city in the subcontinent, Varanasi lies on the holy banks of the Ganges River in Uttar Pradesh. The highlight of the place is the venerated bathing ghats that are by Ganges River. Especially respected by the elderly folk who yearn spiritual enlightenment, a family’s visit to this riverside cultural capital is considered among the most important trips one can take. Varanasi is also home to a number of temples honouring various gods and goddesses and serving those of all religions. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Varanasi from New Delhi at just INR 1,593.
19. Haridwar: Land of the Kumbh MelaAnother favourite destination where parents love visiting is Haridwar. Adding to the mysticism of the place is the River Ganga, which upon descending from the Himalayas enters into the plains through Haridwar. Haridwar is a significant holy place that lures people on a pilgrimage. Legend has it, that this was where some drops of Amrit trickled when the sacred bird Garuda was carrying it to the heavens. Another important factor of this region is that it is among the four places where the revered Kumbh Mela, the world’s largest religious congregation, takes place. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport and continue the rest of the journey by road.
20. Agra: One of the Wonders of the WorldA symbol of love, the magnificent marble structure of Taj Mahal, has put India on the international map of tourism and thus has made Agra a destination revered by one and all. The marvel was built during the reign of Shah Jahan as the mausoleum for his favourite wife Mumtaz Mahal. This is one of the World Heritage sites in Agra apart from the Agra Fort or the Red Fort. The Palace on Wheels and the Royal Rajasthan on Wheels are two luxury trains on which you can get your parents to ride to Agra. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Agra from New Delhi at just INR 2,277.
21. Corbett National Park: Where the Royal Bengal Tiger residesCorbett National Park is considered as one of the most fascinating natural reserves and national parks in the world. This is also where exotic flora and wild animals are quite a sight to behold. Getting the chance to explore and witness the inherent wildlife by means of a safari with your parents is quite exhilarating to say the least. One can spot anything from leopards, Himalayan Black bear, Indian Pangolins to elephants, wild boars and if lucky, even the Royal Bengal Tiger. How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Pantnagar from New Delhi at just INR 4,007.
22. Kaziranga National Park: Abode of the One-horned Rhino
Take your parents to a place that is said to be only reserve across the globe where one can enjoy the sight of the one-horned rhino. After all, they need a bit of excitement too. Within high masses of elephant grass lies the sprawling Kaziranga National Park.
The park is also home to Indian Bison, Barasingha, Sloth Bears, Leopards, Indian Elephants amongst other species. Also found here are members of the avian species such as Black-Shouldered Kite, Grey-Headed Fishing Eagle and Himalayan Griffon.How to reach: Catch a flight to the nearest airport at Jorhat from Kolkata at just INR 4,017.