Sandakphu Trek Highlights
- The famous “Sleeping Buddha” formation of peaks formed by four Tallest Mountains In The World!
- Seeing the Mt. Everest at the horizon- you will love every bit of Sandakphu trekking!
- Albeit it’s offbeat essence, the Lake stand as a major attraction en route to Sandakphu. Kalpokhri Lake– the Mystery of The Sacred Black Waters.
- Experience one of the highest north-south mountain ridge- Singalila range that divide West Bengal and Himalayan range.
- The flowering of Rhododendrons and Magnolia turn the forest into red, pink, and white shades during springtime.
Sandakphu Trek Overview
About the Sandakphu Trekking:
Ranged at an altitude of 11,930 ft the Sandakphu trek is popularly known as a ‘Trekkers Wonderland’. The four massive peaks bound this trek- Mount Everest, Kangchenjunga, Lhotse, and Makalu. This trek follows the famous Singalila Ridge, a high ground that lies at the southern end of a long crest, which runs down from the Kanchendzongha range and forms the border between Sikkim & Nepal.
This ridge, passing through small settlements, is perhaps one of the most scenically rewarding in the Himalayas. The entire trail is inside Singalila National park a biodiversity hotspot that boasts numerous species of birds and Red Panda is rare but not impossible to sight.
Sandakphu Trekking Quick Facts:
- Duration: 6D/5N
- Altitude: 11,930 ft
- Sandakphu Trek Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Sandakphu Trek Distance: 44km
- Temperature: Day: 8°C to 15°C and Night: -5°C to 5°C
- Best Time to do Sandakphu Trek: March to May, October to January
- Nearest Railway Station: NJP
- Nearest Airport: Bagdogra
- ATM: You can withdraw money at New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP).
- Starting Point: Manebhanjan/ Chitrey
- Ending Point: Srikhola
How to Reach Maneybhanjan/ Chitrey:
By Air: Bagdogra Airport is fully functional for domestic as well as international flights. Visitors can conveniently take flights to reach here from some of the major cities of India such as Delhi, Guwahati, Mumbai, Chennai, and Kolkata. Bangkok and Paro are directly connected via air to Bagdogra. Tourists can hire a taxi or bus shuttle from the airport to reach the town of Bagdogra.
By Rail: The new Jalpaiguri railway station is one of the biggest rail junctions in North Bengal. Situated at a distance of 4 kilometers from Jalpaiguri city, the railway station has good connectivity with various other major cities in India.
By Road: Siliguri is well connected through West Bengal State Road Transport Corporation (WBSRTC) and some private travel services. It is 7 Kms from Matigara, 12 Kms from Bharat Basti, 16 Kms from Kamal Pur, 26 Kms from Pankhabari, 36 km from Kurseong, 45 km from Mirik, 66 km from Kalimpong, 78 km from Darjeeling, 170 Kms from Biratnagar, 206 Kms from Pratapganj and 377 Kms from Naogaon, and 560 km from Kolkata.
NOTE: There are shared taxis available frequently from Bus Stand/ Railway Station/ Airport. It costs approx. Rs 3500 per vehicle (shared between 5-6 trekkers).
Sandakphu Trek Package Inclusions:
- Accommodation- 5 Nights stay from Manebhanjan / Chitrey (Day 1) to Srikhola (Day 5) in Dormitory Stay/ Lodges.
- Meals- All nutritious veg meals from dinner at Manebhanjan / Chitrey to breakfast at Srikhola.
- Expert trek Leaders- An excellent mountain guide who will be local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trail around.
- Camping charges- The permit fee for Singalila National Park and forest camping charges are included in the Sandakphu Trek package.
- Safety equipment – First aid kit, oxygen cylinders, oximeter, etc. will be with guide/trek leader and at the campsite as well to deal with emergencies.
- Expert Trek support team- The mountain staff on this trek consists of certified guides, cooks, helpers, and porters.
Available Group Departure dates-
- May: 5,8
- October: 2,9,16,23,30
- November: 6,13,20,27
- December: 4,11,18,25
[ Note: These dates can be customized in case of 5 or more persons. ]
Sandakphu Trek Itinerary
Select Package Option
Manebhanjan/Chitrey to Srikhola
More Details about Sandakphu Trek
Know Before You Go for Sandakphu Trek
- Climatic conditions in the high altitudes vary from the plains; take adequate time to get acclimatized to high altitudes.
- Carry basic medications and a first-aid kit during the tour.
- Pay heed to the trek leaders or instructors in order to enjoy a safe and sound experience.
- The trek takes place through eco-friendly zone; do not encourage littering the local sites or campsites.
- While visiting any religious sites, follow proper dress-code and do not hurt the local sentiments of the places.
- Tranport cost from NJP to Chitrey and from Srikola to NJP is to be borne by the trekker on actual basis. Same can be arranged on request.
Things To Carry for Sandakphu Trek
- Warm clothes
- Toilet paper & wipes
- Walking stick
- Back pack (50-60l)
- Day pack (20-30l)
- Water bottle
- Extra pair of socks
- Hiking shoes
- Waterproof windcheater
- Woollen cap, socks, mittens & scarf