Goa is a tropical beauty that enchants every traveler with beaches so spectacular that they take your breath away and nightlife so dynamic that it leaves you gasping for breath. Wondering what is the best time to visit Goa-the ubiquitous party capital of Goa? Well, we say that the best time is whenever you wish to enjoy the adventure and tranquility for which Goa is famous.
The months of November to March attracts the largest number of tourists due to its New year’s and Christmas celebrations. However, the off seasons are not too vacant here as many tourists keep coming here during the months of summer for getting the advantage of cheaper expenditure on the vacation.
Monsoons are increasingly become popular among travel enthusiasts to indulge in adventurous excursions and appreciate the nature’s bounty which accentuates by many degrees as the clouds shed their waters.
If you need help deciding what time will be the most adventurous or relaxing suiting to the kind of retreat you are looking for in Goa, here we are with all the information sorted on best time to visit Goa.
1) Peak Season
The tourists generally consider the time between the months of October to March as the best time to visit Goa. The weather then is generally calm and cool and all the facilities available to the travelers. It is an ideal time to visit the beaches which remain cooler and festivities abound the ambiance of the popular beaches.
The peak season in Goa is during the months of December and January owing to the mind blowing party scene prevalent here during the eve of Christmas and New Year’s. This is the time when most popular national and international DJ’s flock to Goa for celebrating the events.
Months: From, mid December to mid January, one can find the best time to visit Goa in its peak season.
Climate: The climate during the peak season remains near perfect every time. The approximate daytime temperature is about 32 degrees Celsius making it ideal to indulge in adventure sports and sightseeing in Goa. The relative humidity ranges between 33% which is comfortable and 85%, which is humid.
Rainfall: There is usually no chance of rains during these months in Goa. There is about 17mm of rainfall on just 1 day in the month in an average year during this season.
Places to see and things to do: During the peak season, Goa is the most crowded and you may be agitated to see the huge queues everywhere if you look for isolation and get disappointed. But there remain a number of sites which will fulfill your dream vacation just as you wished.
The most popular tourist attractions during the peak season are:
- Beaches in Goa– The pristine beaches in Goa are a delight for every traveler offering a range of activities with their unique landscapes and ambience. These beaches are ideal for taking a morning stroll or for taking part in adventure sports.
- Christmas and New Year Celebrations- The New Year and Christmas parties are spectacular and amazing in Goa. The beach shacks and nightclubs will leave you with an exhilarating experience at these events. You should also try to visit some churches in Goa namely Basilica of Bom Jesus, Se Cathedral, Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception, and the Church of St. Francis of Assisi where special festivities are organized this time of the year.
- Goa Carnival Festival-This festival is held in late February or early March and one of the best events you can attend in this season. The festivities are filled with music and dancing, pageants and parades. The tourism department of Goa organizes various events and activities for tourists.
- Other famous events- There is also the Mando Festival and the Feast of St. Francis Xavier which is held this time of the year.
Apart from the above activities, you can indulge in deep sea fishing, visiting a casino in Goa, a trip to Charao Island, witness the nesting of Olive Ridley turtles or go shopping at one of the famous flea markets.
2) Off Season
Visiting Goa is a lucrative option if you wish to cut on splurging on a vacation and enjoy the added advantage of the lack of crowds flocking to this popular tourist destination. Also many premium resorts in Goa offer heavy discounts and you can enjoy the best family holidays during this season. However, the
However, the offseason may get the worst of you due to the hot climate and lack of many activities to indulge in as they are made available only during the tourist season in Goa.
Months: The months May to September are considered off-season in Goa.
Climate: During this season, the climate is hot and humid owing to the tropical location of Goa. May is usually the hottest month and it is only after the onset of rains from June that the temperature goes down. The relative humidity varies between 50%, which is mildly humid and 88% (very humid). The humidity rarely goes below 37% or reaches 100%.
Rainfall: The monsoon breaks in Goa around the 1st week of June. Most days will be a mixture of clouds, rain storms and sunny patches.
Places to see and things to do: During the off season, there is minimal activity that goes down in Goa. However, a few shacks may organize some parties during this season. Some beaches like Baga and Calangute remain open throughout the year and resorts are also less crowded.
The most popular places to see/activities during the off season are:
- The Beaches- These shorelines in Goa remain a perpetual threat to the eyes with white glowing sands, azure waters and the cool breeze flowing over to the coast.
- Try the famous Goan Cuisine- The restaurants and cafes here are known to serve delectable dishes. Some most popular outlets are Martin’s Corner in Betalbatim, Britto’s on Baga, Infantaria at Calangute, Curly’s on Anjuna, and Souza Lobo in Calangute.
- Visit the festivities of Chikhalkar- The festival is celebrated on a huge village ground in Marcel which is surrounded by a number of temples. The local festival is a great way to learn more about Goan native life.
- The Sao Joao festival-This festival is celebrated by the Catholic Community and a colorful sight as the youth sing and dance together to the beat of the ghumot and kansalle. People also get drunk with feni and jump into wells ponds or creeks, yelling, ‘Viva re Sao Joao’ making it a frolic carnival.
3) Rainy Season
The rainy season in Goa brings the much-needed relief from the high temperatures and becoming a fashion among tourists to plan a vacation during this time. The rough seas and high swells may make fail you in venturing out in the sea.
However, new opportunities open for adventure seekers with the rivers reaching their zenith during the monsoons. This is the best time to visit Goa if you wish to enjoy the nature in its full bloom making it the perfect to chill, to appreciate a more local side to Goa and to explore the luxuriant countryside spending some solitary moments.
Months: The period between June to September is the time when Goa gets its rainy season.
Climate: The weather remains pleasant and this season receives more than 90% of the annual rainfall. The average high stands around 30°C while the low falls to mid-teens. The humidity is very high, daytime temperatures are around +32-+34°C, at night they fall to +22-+24°C.
Rainfall: The average rainfall is approximately 325 cms. The rains are usually prolonged and seen everyday during the rainy season in Goa.
Places to see and things to do: Goa has its own appeal during the Monsoons with verdant greenery and stunning view of the beaches. Goa has much to offer in this season with its biodiversity, waterfalls and picturesque landscapes. It is the time when the rains refresh the land and brings an aura of romance to the air.
Some popular places to see/activities to do for the rainy season are:
- Trek to Dudhsagar Waterfalls- One of the highest waterfalls in India, this place comes alive during the monsoons. Trekking through a railway track that winds through forests, tunnels and waterfalls is an extraordinary and elevating experience. Trekking in Goa is one of the best experience you can have there.
- Visit the Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary- This is the time when greenery abounds and you will love exploring the wildlife. The place also offers hiking trails and a chance to interact with tribals living here.
- Enjoy White River Rafting- Rafting in Goa is one of the best ways to experience adventure during the monsoons. The enticing rains make the rivers swell up with frothing waters making it ideal to maneuver in rafting.
- Spend some alone time by the beach-The beaches are far away from the noise and hordes of people during the rainy season. It is the perfect time to appreciate the immaculate beaches.
4) Season for Water sports
Goa is the must visit vacation spot on the off chance that you need to encounter the fervor of the different exciting and also fun-drawing in water games and activities.
The best time to visit Goa for getting a charge out of adventure water sports in Goa is from October to May when the skies here are cloudless and blue, and the waters genuinely serene. There are numbers of water based sports among which some of the most popular ones are discussed as follows.
Best water sports
Scuba Diving-Goa is a beautiful spot with myriad schools of fascinating marine life which makes for a great underwater adventure. Scuba Diving in Goa is available at Grande Island and Bats Islan.
Parasailing- High fliers amongst the speed lovers can opt for parasailing. It’s the simplest way to have the bird’s eye view of the coastline and the deep blue sea
Water skiing- Enjoy the exhilarating feeling of riding on the waves of the sea with the help of water skiing.
Swimming-The most common and relaxed activity is best enjoyed on the pristine beaches of Goa. The warm and sunny days in Goa make swimming more enjoyable and fun-filled.
Water Scooter-This action sport allows you to get the thrills of a motorbike with the smoothness of an ocean instead of hard tar road beneath the feet.
Banana Tube Boat Ride- Appreciate the exciting ride with your companions on this monster banana shaped boat as your turn ahead against the sea waves without any chances of being flipped over with this simple and easy sport.
Best places for water sports
Calangute Beach- Kayaking, wind surfing, jet-skiing, parasailing, banana ride, water surfing, etc.
Sinquerim Beach- Parasailing, water-skiing, snorkeling, scuba diving, jet-skiing and windsurfing etc
Baga Beach- Jet-skiing, parasailing, power scooter rides, scuba diving and snorkeling.
Dona Paula- Water-skiing, windsurfing, kayaking, snorkeling, parasailing, toboggan ski-biscuiting, sport fishing, harpoon fishing, ski-bobbing and yachting
Anjuna Beach- Scuba diving, wind surfing, paragliding, parasailing etc.
Majorda Beach- Jet-skiing, water skiing, parasailing, surfing and banana boat riding
Mobor Beach- Water skiing, banana bump rides, winch-boat parasailing, speed boat rides, windsurfing, kayaking and ringo rides.
Colva Beach- Jet-skiing, paragliding, banana boat riding, parasailing, snorkeling, motorboat and speed boat rides