- Go for a quick respite from the heat, and embark on an hour-long drive from Kuala Lumpur to reach Genting Highlands.
- Genting Highlands is one of the coldest places in Malaysia which you will love visiting.
- Reach the hill station, located on the top of Mount Ulu Kali at 1800 meters near the border between Selangor states and Pahang.
- The place has been named the City of Entertainment and you can spend a fun-filled day with your family in this exhilarating place.
- Enjoy a ride on the Awana SkyWay as you go up and have fun participating in various activities.
- Shopaholics should not miss out on a shopping expedition to Genting Premium Outlets to take a look at more than 150 branded items.
Best Time To Visit: March to September
Location: Genting Highlands, 69000 Genting Highlands, Pahang, Malaysia
Explore More: Places to visit in Malaysia
- A perfect getaway to one of the coldest places to visit in Malaysia would be to visit Bukit Tinggi.
- Bukit Tinggi is a small town in Pahang state and is located at a height of 1000 m above sea level.
- The town is known to be one of the top hill stations in Malaysia.
- Feel a sense of serenity while retreating amongst its dense forests lush with flora of intoxicating smell.
- Take a stroll in the Zen-inspired Japanese Garden, explore the Japanese Village at Colmar Tropicale and visit the waterfall while visiting the destination.
- Opt to rent a kimono and join a traditional Japanese tea ceremony to experience the flavours of Japan.
Best Time To Visit: June and July
Location: Bentong, Pahang, Malaysia
Suggest Read: Things to Do in Malaysia
- Located at an altitude of 1200 m is one of the coldest places to visit in Malaysia, Bukit Fraser.
- Feel refreshed as you reach this town, located two hours away from Kuala Lumpur, and find it to be completely filled with flora and fauna.
- Visit lush jungles and be on the lookout for migratory birds, Malayan tigers, and rare trees.
- Also visit waterfalls such as Jeriau Waterfall, and Medang Waterfall, and make a trip to Bird Center and Allan Water Lake.
- Cameron Highlands is one of the coldest places in Malaysia which are popular with tourists.
- The destination, located at an elevation of 1500 m in Pahang state is known for being the best hill station in Malaysia.
- The hill station has much on offer for its visitors with an abundance of unmatched rainforest ecosystem along with rolling hills, waterfall, rivers, a vast stretch of tea plantations, lush strawberry farms and awe-inspiring scenic beauty.
- The highlands are the only area with aboriginal villages which you can opt to visit.
- Enjoy spending some time in this captivating town visiting Tea Plantations, Bee farms, Parit Falls, Robinson Falls, Strawberry Farms and more.
- Opt to take a walk on the nature trails in this hill station.
Best Time To Visit: February – July
You May Also Like: Malaysia Adventures
- Maxwell Hill, currently named Bukit Larut, is located at an altitude of 1,250 meters above sea level.
- It is one of the oldest hill stations in Malaysia.
- The beautiful hill station is surrounded by lush green forests and will greet you with a captivating view and cool fresh air.
- Feel tantalised as you catch the sight of colourful flowers such as petunias, tulips, roses, daisies, and more.
- Take a look at the panoramic views of the west coast from Penang to Pangkor Island and feel enchanted. Visit the various attractions of this town such as Taiping Lake Gardens, Taiping Zoo and more.
- Opt to go on a hiking trip on the mountain trails.
- Take the Bukit Larut Jeep Ride to explore the area completely.
Best Time To Visit: March to October
Location: Pegawai Penjaga Bukit Larut, Perak, 34000 Taiping, Perak, Malaysia
Also Explore: Hiking in Malaysia
- Penang Hill, also known as Bukit Bendera, is a hill station which is famous for its numerous peaks out of which the highest is 833 m Western Hill.
- The destination, one of the coldest places in Malaysia, is also famed for having the only funicular railway system in Malaysia.
- Board the train to reach the highest peak and enjoy the scenic journey.
- Reach the top and explore the famous hill station with an abundance of natural beauty, serenity and panoramic views of the island and mainland.
- Visit the owl museum located on the top.
- Opt to go on a walk along the nature trail of the Habitat Penang Hill.
Best Time To Visit: November to January
Location: Penang Hill, Bukit Bendera, Penang
Also Read: Things to Do with Kids in Malaysia
- Tucked in an idyllic hamlet in the midst of lush tropical rainforest at an elevation of 600 m above sea level is the town of Janda Baik.
- Janda Baik is a popular getaway in the Bentong district and is just 30 km away from Kuala Lumpur.
- Rejuvenate yourself by retreating to a place with a vast network of rivers enhancing the beauty of the place.
- Opt to go fishing or boating or go for a riverside outing or a barbeque with family or friends.
- You can also indulge in other activities such as walking on natural trails, cycling and bird watching.
- You can also visit some of the town’s attractions such as Gunung Nuang or Mount Nuang, Ulu Tampit waterfall, and the Elephant Conservation Center.
Best Time To Visit: December through February
Location: Bentong, Pahang
Grab Exciting Deals with Malaysia Tour Packages
- Encounter one of the most challenging and tough trekking trails in the world.
- Gunung Tahan or Mount Tahan is a picturesque mountain that is inside the Taman Negara National Forest.
- It is the tallest peak in Peninsular Malaysia with a height of 2187m.
- Choose to trek from Sungai Relau to Gunung Tahan and back or go from Sungai Relau to Gunung Tahan and to Kuala Tahan.
- Take the other option and trek from Kuala Tahan to Gunung Tahan and back to Sungai Relau.
- Try one of the three tough trekking trails of Gunung Tahan, only if you are a pro.
Best Time To Visit: June to September
Location: Taman Negara National Park, Pahang, Malaysia
You May Also Like: Historical places in Malaysia
- Another one of the coldest places in Malaysia which you may wish to visit is Gunung Jerai, a mountain located in Kedah.
- Reach the foot of the mountain and be charmed by the view of swaying paddy fields.
- Climb uphill and feel the cool breeze on your face as you admire the lovely scenic view surrounding you.
- Reach the top to find a tranquil atmosphere surrounding you as you proceed to take a look at the Regency Jerai Hill Resort.
- Check out other attractions such as the Jerai Forestry Museum, Gunung Jerai Botanical Park etc.
- Get a taste of adventure by indulging in recreational activities such as hiking, mountain biking and more in that area.
Best Time To Visit: Any time of the year
Location: Gunung Jerai, Titiwangsa Mountains
Also Checkout: Theme Parks in Malaysia
- Kundasang is one of the coldest places to visit in Malaysia.
- It is a quaint town which is known as the 'New Zealand' of Malaysia.
- The town is located in Sabah, just 6 kilometres from Mount Kinabalu Park, and has an elevation of approximately 2000 metres above sea level.
- Kundasang is the ideal destination for those looking for a brief gateway for the weekend.
- Feel enchanted as you reach the beautiful place and take a look at its green pastures with a gorgeous backdrop of Mount Kinabalu.
- A few of the tourist attractions which you can visit in Kundasang include Kundasang War Memorial, Desa Cattle Farm, etc.
Best Time To Visit: January to April
Location: Kundasang,district Ranau, Sabah, Malaysia
Explore More: Beaches in Malaysia
- A hidden gem of Malaysia, located in the interior of Sabah, is Tambunan.
- The place has been nicknamed Switzerland of the East.
- The beautiful town with its charming terraced paddy fields surrounded by dense bamboo forests is sure to enchant you.
- The town is also famed to be one of the coldest places in Malaysia.
- Pay a visit to the town’s star attractions such as the Mahua waterfall and Tambunan Rafflesia Reserve.
Best Time To Visit: January until April and June until December
Location: Tambunan,Tambunan District, Sabah, Malaysia.
Also Checkout: Places to visit in Kuala Lumpur
- An excellent off the beat destination which you can opt for a short trip is the Kelabit Highlands.
- Kelabit Highlands is a spectacular mountain range located on the northernmost part of Sarawak on the island of Borneo.
- The remote destination with a highland plateau of over 1,000 meters will simply captivate you with its miles of rolling hills, virgin jungles, small towns and longhouses.
- Set out to explore its central town Bario and escape to a world untouched by modernisation.
- Go for a hiking trip following the natural trails in the highland.
- Opt to climb Mount Murud, considered to be holy by the locals.
Best Time To Visit: February to October
Location: The Kelabit Highlands, Sarawak, Borneo Malaysia
Popular Read: Things to Do in Kuala Lumpur
- The legendary Gunung Ledang, also known as Mount Ophir, is one of the coldest places in Malaysia.
- The mountain is located in the Gunung Ledang National Park in Tangkak District of Johor in Malaysia.
- It is situated between the border of Muar and Malacca and is 1,276 meters tall.
- The destination is well known for being a hiker’s paradise and is one of those places where you can visit to get a taste of adventure.
- It is popular even with amateur hikers who can try their luck in adventure sports here.
- Select from the variety of trails and take your time to enjoy what mother nature has bestowed upon this place.
- Encounter beautiful waterfalls as you proceed on your hiking expedition.
Best Time To Visit: June until September
Location: Mount Ledang, Gunung Ledang National Park, Tangkak District, Johor, Malaysia.
Also Checkout: Things to Do for Couple in Kuala Lumpur
Another one of the coldest places in Malaysia is Gunung Kinabalu, the country’s highest mountain.
It is also famed as one of the highest mountains in Southeast Asia.
Enjoy the breathtaking view of the rolling mountains covered with white clouds while standing in front of it.
Opt to ascend the magnificent mountain to reach its top and be rewarded with a spectacular view of the surrounding areas from the peak of the mountain.
Best Time To Visit: March to September
Location: Mount Kinabalu, Borneo, Malaysia.
Suggested Read: Things to Do in Penang