Witness The Changing Of The Guard
- This historic tradition of Changing of the Queen’s Guard has been an integral part of London’s culture since 1660.
- This spectacle commences with a troop of the Queen’s Life Guard riding from Hyde Park, past the Buckingham Palace to change their duties.
- This is widely regarded as one of the top things to do near Buckingham Palace because of the historical and cultural significance it holds.
- Try to arrive a little early to reserve the first line for the best viewing purposes.
Timing: 11 AM (lasts for around 45 minutes)
Click Here To Book: Royal London Tour
Recommended Read: Things To Do In London
Explore The Queens Gallery
- It is a surreal public art gallery that is situated in the west front of Buckingham palace. So if you are into art, visiting this gallery could be one of the best activities to do near Buckingham Palace.
- The Queens Gallery has an exhibition of around 450 rare artworks from the impressive Royal Collection.
- This gallery has been immaculately restored and expanded and currently houses some of Britain’s most prestigious and rare royal art collections.
- If you wish to take home a souvenir from this place for your loved ones, there is a great shop located on the premises with some amazing collections of memorabilia.
Location: Buckingham Palace, London
Checkout & Book: Buckingham Palace Tickets
Suggested Read: Places To Visit In London
Visit Queen Victoria Memorial
- It is believed that this monument’s overall decoration and structure is based on the theme of navigation.
- This monument was planned by King Edward VII to commemorate the death of Queen Victoria in 1901.
- It lies right in front of Buckingham Palace, multiplying its beauty by a fair margin!
- Apart from representing Victoria, there are statutes depicting constancy, victory, courage, truth and motherhood.
- Made of 2,300 tonnes of white Carrara marble, this monument is 25 metres high and one of the most spectacular sights inside the palace.
Location: London SW1AA 1AA, United Kingdom
Do Read: Things To Do In Central London
Pay A Visit To See The Guards Museum
- This interesting museum showcases the history of the five regiments of Foot Guards including memorabilia, weapons and uniforms preserved for more than 300 years.
- A chronological display of the regimental uniforms is yet another highlight which is accompanied by weapons, models and artwork.
- If you are into miniature and military related collections, the Guards Toy Soldier Centre could turn out to be one of the best things to do near Buckingham Palace.
- This shop is located alongside the museum and has some interesting collections of collectable toys and other stuff.
Location: Wellington Barracks on Birdcage Walk near Buckingham Palace
Also Read: Things To Do In Kings Cross
Visit Green Park
- It is located directly across the Buckingham Palace and was once part of the palace gardens.
- This scenic garden was a favourite retreat of Charles II and it is often believed that he used to undertake regular leisurely strolls in this garden.
- This 40-acre park is considered to be the smallest of Britain’s royal parks and is separated from the palace premises by just a roadway.
- Apart from walking through this serene garden, one can also enjoy the stunning views of the royal residence from this garden, which makes it one of the best activities to do near Buckingham Palace.
Location: London W1J 7NF, United Kingdom
Recommended Read: Things To Do Near Alton Tower
Explore Royal Mews
- In the Royal Mews, one can find a wide array of state coaches and carriages which are still being used on some special occasions by British monarchs.
- The Gold State coach is the most impressive coach which was built in 1762 and is so heavy that it requires eight Windsor Grey horses to pull it.
- A number of Rolls Royce limousines along with Jaguars and Bentleys are also on display here.
Location: Buckingham Palace Rd, London SW1W 0QH
Do Read: Hidden Places In London
Visit Bomber Command Memorial
- The Royal Air Force Bomber Command Memorial is situated in the Green Park of the Buckingham palace.
- It commemorates the sacrifices of RAF Bomber command who embarked on missions during the World War II.
- It is built out of Portland stone and was designed by Liam O’Connor.
- This memorial also honours the lives of the aircrew from other countries like Canada, Australia, Poland, New Zealand and other allied countries.
Location: The Green Park, Buckingham Palace, London W1
Know More: Things To Do In Victoria London
See Fight Club Victoria
- One of the best things to do near Buckingham Palace is to visit this fantastic lively club, where you can enjoy many activities with your group.
- You can play darts here and as well as other fast and exciting multiplayer games. Its owners claim that this club is designed to keep you hooked with a range of activities.
- They have their own collection of bespoke cocktails and ridiculously tasty pizzas.
- Moreover, if you are lucky, you can also find some amazing live bands playing here, enhancing the overall ambience by a fair margin.
Location: 6 Sir Simon Milton Sq, London SW1E 5DJ
Recommended Read: Things To Do In Shoreditch
Tour At St. James’ Palace
- It holds the designation of being the most senior royal palace in the United Kingdom.
- Apart from being the ceremonial meeting place of several councils, it is also the London residence of several members of the royal family.
- Its inception dates back to the 1530s but it was displaced by Buckingham Palace as the royal residence in the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Despite the monarch residing somewhere else, it is still the official Royal Court.
Location: Marlborough Rd, St. James's, London SW1A 1BQ
Check This: Things To Do In Kings Cross
Explore Clarence House
- Clarence House is the official London residence of the Prince of Wales and is situated right behind the palace.
- While you cannot access the whole place, the formal gardens and five ground-floor rooms are open for visit.
- These rooms include the following: The Morning room, the Library, The Lancaster room, the Garden room and the Dining room.
- You can also find the queen's art collection here, including the works of Graham Sutherland, Augustus John and John Piper.
Location: The Mall, Clarence House, St James's Palace, London, SW1A 1BA
Suggested Read: Places In North West London
Pay A Visit To The Other Palace
- The Other palace is a very well-renowned theatre in London which is used to develop, discover and celebrate theatre.
- It began its life way back in 1766 as the Charlotte Chapel which was then converted into a theatre in 1924.
- Fast forward to today, the Other Palace now features a 312-seat main theatre and a 120-seat studio theatre.
- This esteemed theatre holds several programmes related to dance, cabaret, musical theatre and jazz. So if you are into theatre, visiting this place could be one of the best things to do near Buckingham Palace.
Location: 12 Palace St, London SW1E 5BJ
Recommended Read: Places In South London
Visit Nisa Thai Spa
- If you are seeking ultimate relaxation and rejuvenation, visit Nisa Thai Spa for their authentic Thai massage, amidst exquisite interior decor.
- While their specialty is authentic Thai massage, they also offer deep tissue massage, Swedish massage and many more.
- Even their interior is rather aesthetic as it is a combination of modern western and traditional eastern.
- Their certified professional massage therapists offer some of the most relaxing experiences to make you feel calm and at ease.
Location: 6 Palace St, London SW1E 5HY
Do Read: Places In East London
Visit Memorial Gates
- The pillars of the Memorial Gates are a tribute to the 5 million people from the Indian, Caribbean and African subcontinent who lost or served their lives in the two World Wars.
- This memorial also celebrates the contributions that these ethnicities have made to British culture.
- These pillars are topped by bronze gas flames which are lit on special occasions.
- The great Wellington Arch which is a part of the premises, once marked the northern gate to Buckingham Palace.
Location: Constitution Hill, London W1J 7NU
Also Read: Romantic Places In London
Watch Hamilton Broadway
- Hamilton is a record-breaking musical that takes place at Victoria Palace Theatre. It had a multi-award-winning run on Broadway.
- Catching this two hours and 50 minutes long musical is one of the best things to do near Buckingham Palace if you are into art and theatre.
- This musical is based on the life of Alexander Hamilton who is renowned to be one of America’s founding fathers.
- He is also known as the right-hand man of General George Washington, making it one of the most successful musicals in Broadway history.
Location: Victoria Palace theatre, 79 Victoria St, London SW1E 5EA
Recommended Read: Instagrammable Places In London
National Gallery London
- The National Gallery is home to one of the greatest collections of Western European painting dating between the 13th to the early 20th centuries.
- The collection includes the artworks of legendary European painters like Raphael, Leonardo Da Vinci, Van Eyck, Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Titian and Bellini.
- One can find almost all the major traditions of Western European art ranging from the artworks of late Medieval to French impressionists and to Renaissance Italy as well.
- Not only the paintings but the overall neoclassical architecture of the National Gallery is bound to enchant you.
Location: Trafalgar Square, London WC2N 5DN
Do Read: Beaches In London